Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw

Question about FUNimation "Case Closed" movies

I recently purchased Case Closed: The Time-Bombed Skyscraper for a really good bargain after noticing I could watch it with Japanese audio & English subtitles instead of the standard English dubbed version. Shortly after, an online fansub site announced that they would be subtitling the movie again for its HD release. As of now, I have yet to watch this or any movies other than 13 and 14, so I was wondering if someone could give me advice and answer some questions. Would you recommend I wait for the new HD fansubbed version or watch the FUNimation version that I bought? Does anyone know how accurate the FUNimation subtitles are? Is the movie itself edited or censored in the localization process? I've tried to keep myself as uninformed as possible about the movie to avoid being spoiled, so I'm hesitant to do my own research. :P Thank you in advance!

I agree with CC here... There is nothing wrong with watching it twice. And if you have an upscaling DVD player, you can watch it at a similar resolution as the DCTP HD release.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with watching it twice :) ... That being said, FUNimation does a respectable job on the translation, as long as you're watching it with subtitles and the original Japanese audio

However... they did move the after-credits clip (at the end of the movie) to before the credits, which feels weird but is relatively inconsequential... One thing I wish they would have done was left the closing credits video intact

About the Funimation dubs... how do they deal with 'ichi', meaning 1, being in Shinichi's name in the second movie? How do they translate that in English, I can't think of a way 'Jimmy' has a connection to the number one...

About the Funimation dubs... how do they deal with 'ichi', meaning 1, being in Shinichi's name in the second movie? How do they translate that in English, I can't think of a way 'Jimmy' has a connection to the number one...

I think it has something to do with being the number one detective. But my memory could be playing tricks on me.

I think it has something to do with being the number one detective. But my memory could be playing tricks on me.

If it is that then I'm not surprised the Funimation dub didn't sell well <_<