Detective Conan World
DetectiveConanfan

How does Kaitou Kid know Conan's identity?

None of these are canon, and a lot of them are done simply so that the movie plot is much more interesting than it would be without. Gosho Aoyama has never mentioned in an interview or in a file that Kaitou KID is aware of the fact that Conan is Kudo. It is a reasonable conclusion as Kaitou KID would do his research and KID is well aware of the fact that Conan is no ordinary kid. However, this has not been confirmed by Gosho.

My theory is that if KID didn't know before, he probably does now (after Ryoma Gunbelt), in light of their conversation in the men's room at the end of the case

That being said, the movies aren't canon, and have little if any bearing on the main series

Since the movies are not canon, yes.

@southpaw : Reasoning like that, you can also say that Conan could know who Kid is since his mother studied under Toichi and could tell Conan that he was killed, had a kid who's Shinichi's age, and that Kaito Kid disappeared when he died.

What I mean is that I don't think we can assume characters (in this case Kid) know Conan's identity by saying that they just have to do some research in the backround, search for Kudo Shinchi's facebook profile etc...In the canon, when someone has suspicions or knows about Conan being Shinichi, it it always showed explicitely to the reader/viewer.

@southpaw : Reasoning like that, you can also say that Conan could know who Kid is since his mother studied under Toichi and could tell Conan that he was killed, had a kid who's Shinichi's age, and that Kaito Kid disappeared when he died.

What I mean is that I don't think we can assume characters (in this case Kid) know Conan's identity by saying that they just have to do some research in the backround, search for Kudo Shinchi's facebook profile etc...In the canon, when someone has suspicions or knows about Conan being Shinichi, it it always showed explicitely to the reader/viewer.

This could be the same for Takagi as well

The point was that in that conversation, they both talked a little about their mothers, but Conan mentioned things that make his mother's identity a lot easier to figure out than what KID said about his own mother

Meh... I'm not interested in having this argument, I just wanted to throw my theory out there

I ve been wondering too.,

It's kinda UnReasonable.. :V

It'd be exciting if he dosent know though . It'd be more exciting if there's a exciting episode explaining how he know or something. A special episode. Or a OVA or watever.Just NOT a MOVIE!

In the movies, Kid found out in Movie 3, when he bugged the ship's phone. When Agasa called Conan 'Shinichi', Kid grew suspcious, and his analysis of Conan throughout the rest of the movie proved his point. That's how he knows in the rest of the movies.

In the manga, it is implied that Kid might know after the end of the Ryoma's Gunbelt case, but it was never confirmed, and that's the last Kid has appeared in DC since. (He didn't appear this summer b/c Gosho released the Phantom Lady MK chapters instead) So we'll just have to wait and see.

While his knowing canonically could open up a lot of options, it would also cause a lot of problems. After all, they're both after an Organization, and Gosho has confirmed that they're separate, so Kid's knowing won't help DC's plot. So it'd be unnecessary, but fun.