Detective Conan World
Sherlock Lupin

What do you really want right now?

:V A person must do his/her duties :P

I want to skip this life... next life please :P

Wow... Depressing much? :V

I want to watch Attack on Titan. And Parasyte. And Akame ga Kill. And this other anime that I forgot the name of.

I want to watch Attack on Titan. And Parasyte. And Akame ga Kill. And this other anime that I forgot the name of.

I've seen all of these, and Akame ga Kill is the only one of the three I would not recommend.  I could go into details as to why, but this post may turn into a rant.

I've seen all of these, and Akame ga Kill is the only one of the three I would not recommend.  I could go into details as to why, but this post may turn into a rant.

:V Post your rant then

I want to get used to this phone more

Wow... Depressing much? :V

I'm assuming that anime is Tokyo Ghoul.

yeah stuffs :P

Meh, it's informal convos anyway... so no.

I want Kirsch to stop being a grammar nazi for once :P

Never :P

Ah... A friend of mine has been nagging me for so long. Go on and rant; I need to clear up my list a bit.

I want to hurry up and finish these decorations O-O

*stares at Kirsch*

<333 :D

I'm assuming that anime is Tokyo Ghoul.

I wasn't talking about Tokyo Ghoul, but you reminded me that it was also on my list >.<

I want to help my dad, but he doesn't trust me around broken glass. Don't blame him though.

<333 :D

I'm going to start yelling at you now:

GET ON IMESSAGE I NEED TO ASK YOU SOMETHING IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:

I really want Kirsch to do what I just asked her to do.

I'm going to start yelling at you now:

GET ON IMESSAGE I NEED TO ASK YOU SOMETHING IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:

I really want Kirsch to do what I just asked her to do.

OOOKKKKAAAAAYYYY!!!!

:V Post your rant then

Ah... A friend of mine has been nagging me for so long. Go on and rant; I need to clear up my list a bit.

Well, I don't have that much homework, so....

Akame ga Kill is generally praised for not being afraid to kill off characters.  In fact, that's probably the only argument people bring up when trying to claim AgK is good.  And let me tell you, yes characters do die, and very often at that.  But the problem is, there hasn't been a single death I hadn't see coming from a mile away and there isn't a single death that has been even remotely emotional.  The problem is, AgK has a bad habit of juxtaposing humor with tragedy.  And this lessens the effect of both the humor and the tragedy.  The humor isn't all that it; you can find better humor in battle shounens and shoujo romcoms.  But instead of bringing nothing to the table, the humor instead takes away from what AgK might have been.  I never know when I should be taking the show seriously.  Should I be laughing or crying?  If you want an anime that can successfully mix and mingle laughs with tears, I'd recommend the bizarre Mawaru Penguindrum, but that's a discussion for another day.

But of course, the humor can't be the only thing that's preventing the tragedy from being good, right?  And you're right, because the characters ruin it, too.  With only 24 episodes and more than a handful of characters to knife, almost nobody will have enough development to warrant a good death scene.  Scratch that, nobody had enough development.  When a character dies, I feel nothing.  Not because I'm cold-hearted or anything, since it hasn't even been that long since I've cried seeing someone die in an anime, but because I hadn't yet related to the character yet.  Everyone who dies just feels like fodder; meant to be killed in an attempt to elicit sympathy.  And there wasn't much to develop regardless.  All the characters fit in their little cookie cutter tropes, and you'd only ever like someone if you come in preferring that specific stereotype.  Considering it's already 2014, it's a shame to see characters like these are still acceptable.

But wait, there's more!  The action is nothing to speak of in this anime.  It's not even a long running battle anime, and yet they rely on the same animation gimmicks to take up space and time, like having the same one-two sword slash animation and just loop it as someone grunts for background noise.  Or turning fast punches into a whirling  blur so individual fists don't need to be drawn.  There is no fluidity to the fights, no effort put into making them cinematically or artistically choreographed, and no excitement whatsoever.  If you thought it was going to at least have mind-numbing action, you'd be disappointed.

Finally, the anime tries way too hard to be gritty.  It throws blood around profusely and gives people dark angsty faces when their about to face off against an enemy just to appeal to those who want to feel "cool" for watching something that seems edgy.  They also try to make the show morally ambiguous, but the attempts tend to fall flat.  What's really good and evil?  What have we been fighting for all this time?  What is justice?  These questions have been tackled numerous times in anime, and it feels like AgK was just trying to go with the flow and earn money on the tailwind of other more successful shows without putting in any effort of their own.  The anime just comes off as pretentious.

This is just how I feel about the Akame ga Kill.  It's something that attracts newcomers to anime and those that have only barely graduated from Naruto and Bleach, but it is far from worth your time.  Avoid it; you won't regret it.

Well, I don't have that much homework, so....

Akame ga Kill is generally praised for not being afraid to kill off characters.  In fact, that's probably the only argument people bring up when trying to claim AgK is good.  And let me tell you, yes characters do die, and very often at that.  But the problem is, there hasn't been a single death I hadn't see coming from a mile away and there isn't a single death that has been even remotely emotional.  The problem is, AgK has a bad habit of juxtaposing humor with tragedy.  And this lessens the effect of both the humor and the tragedy.  The humor isn't all that it; you can find better humor in battle shounens and shoujo romcoms.  But instead of bringing nothing to the table, the humor instead takes away from what AgK might have been.  I never know when I should be taking the show seriously.  Should I be laughing or crying?  If you want an anime that can successfully mix and mingle laughs with tears, I'd recommend the bizarre Mawaru Penguindrum, but that's a discussion for another day.

But of course, the humor can't be the only thing that's preventing the tragedy from being good, right?  And you're right, because the characters ruin it, too.  With only 24 episodes and more than a handful of characters to knife, almost nobody will have enough development to warrant a good death scene.  Scratch that, nobody had enough development.  When a character dies, I feel nothing.  Not because I'm cold-hearted or anything, since it hasn't even been that long since I've cried seeing someone die in an anime, but because I hadn't yet related to the character yet.  Everyone who dies just feels like fodder; meant to be killed in an attempt to elicit sympathy.  And there wasn't much to develop regardless.  All the characters fit in their little cookie cutter tropes, and you'd only ever like someone if you come in preferring that specific stereotype.  Considering it's already 2014, it's a shame to see characters like these are still acceptable.

But wait, there's more!  The action is nothing to speak of in this anime.  It's not even a long running battle anime, and yet they rely on the same animation gimmicks to take up space and time, like having the same one-two sword slash animation and just loop it as someone grunts for background noise.  Or turning fast punches into a whirling  blur so individual fists don't need to be drawn.  There is no fluidity to the fights, no effort put into making them cinematically or artistically choreographed, and no excitement whatsoever.  If you thought it was going to at least have mind-numbing action, you'd be disappointed.

Finally, the anime tries way too hard to be gritty.  It throws blood around profusely and gives people dark angsty faces when their about to face off against an enemy just to appeal to those who want to feel "cool" for watching something that seems edgy.  They also try to make the show morally ambiguous, but the attempts tend to fall flat.  What's really good and evil?  What have we been fighting for all this time?  What is justice?  These questions have been tackled numerous times in anime, and it feels like AgK was just trying to go with the flow and earn money on the tailwind of other more successful shows without putting in any effort of their own.  The anime just comes off as pretentious.

This is just how I feel about the Akame ga Kill.  It's something that attracts newcomers to anime and those that have only barely graduated from Naruto and Bleach, but it is far from worth your time.  Avoid it; you won't regret it.

I put the main explanation in spoilers, since it was so long. Within the minute I read that (and probably quite a few for you to write that), you have now completely convinced me to not touch it. Compared to what you said about, say, Parasyte, it doesn't seem very... Complex? Well choreographed? Anyway, thanks a bunch. Be prepared for me asking your opinion on other anime in the future ;)

I put the main explanation in spoilers, since it was so long. Within the minute I read that (and probably quite a few for you to write that), you have now completely convinced me to not touch it. Compared to what you said about, say, Parasyte, it doesn't seem very... Complex? Well choreographed? Anyway, thanks a bunch. Be prepared for me asking your opinion on other anime in the future ;)

maggey-salutes.gif

At your service!