Detective Conan World
Noir

Anime-This-Season Chat/Discussion

I've seen all of the currently aired episodes for Kids on the Slope.

It's a good anime, but you guys might be over hyping this. Sure, it's going to get a lot of attention from its allstar production cast.

But, so far it's just a typical slice of life series, with your expected love triangles/squares/pentagons, along with a Jazz motif/theme.

It might get better as we progress, but as of right now, it's not my favorite of the season.

I would have to say Hyouka is my favorite anime this season, brought you to by the legendary Kyoto Animations, infamous for Haruhi, Lucky Star, K-ON, and Clannad. The budget they have for animation is ridiculous, you can see so many little details they put in, that 95% of the other animation studios wouldn't even bother with.

The story may be a little bit slow, but the atmosphere and mood the series sets is unrivaled for shows this season.

Shout-out to Kuroko no Basket, which is a basketball anime series, that I did not expect to be this good. It's a typical shonen series, but its just done very well, and can rival Slam Dunk as a potential new throne for the basketball manga/anime series.

Also, Space Brother is another good series that's worth looking into. The first three episodes were very engrossing, but recently it's gotten really slow, probably due to the fact that the anime is supposed to be 50+ episodes long.

Has anyone seen Medaka Box?

I've read a few chapters of Mysterious Girlfriend X, Tasogare OtomeƗAmnesia, but I

Didn't really get into it...

And it seems Lupin the 3rd is also getting another season(?)

@Ranger: Agree with you. I've caught myself up with Sakamichi no Appollon's aired episodes and I agree it's good. I've seen much worse but I've also seen much better. It's an okay anime that has a lot of potential for an amazing ending, but it also looks like it might run the risk of being a waste of time. If it ends great, then I'll give it all the credit it deserves. And also, yes, Hyouka is absolutely amazing. Best art I've seen in any anime in a really long time. Probably the best art I've ever seen, hands down. It's a great anime with an amazing atmosphere. I have high hopes for Hyouka. I'd probably either rank it first or second for best anime of this season.

@mabel: Eh, I've watched all the aired episodes of Medaka Box so far, but it's nothing special. I personally would rank it average at best. There's no hope for an awesome ending, I'll tell you that. It's not even that great to watch whenever you have free time. You'd be better off watching another anime. But that's just my opinion. Medaka Box is also one of those animes where you either love it or hate it, so it won't hurt to try it. I've also watched Tasogare x Otome Amnesia, and I'd rank it only a notch higher than Medaka Box.

Glad we agree Akazora.

Regarding Medaka Box, I saw the first 2 episodes back when it first aired (simulcast). I kept hearing good things about it because..

1. It's written by the same author of the Monogatari series, which I really enjoyed (Bakemonogatari at least).

2. The anime is produced by the legendary studio Gainax, famous for TTGL and the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. So I surely thought this would be something worth watching.

But..it's really flat. Besides fanservice from the main female lead, its your typical annoying shonen series with a spineless dime a dozen protagonist, a high school setting, and a student council scenario. You got your trope character archetypes, which just aren't executed properly.

People who have read the manga tell me its get better much later on, and acts as a deconstruction/parody series of the Shonen genre, but from what I've been told, this season is only 1 cour, and if sales aren't good enough, it might not get a second season...so this 1st season probably won't even cover anything good.

Thoughts on Accel World? I haven't seen it , but it's the 3rd most popular show this season behind Hyouka and F/Z season 2.

Thoughts on Accel World? I haven't seen it , but it's the 3rd most popular show this season behind Hyouka and F/Z season 2.

I've been following Accel World ever since it started airing and I have to say it's definitely not bad. Considering the general lack of absolutely amazing anime shows this seaon, I'd say Accel World makes my top five list, but never exceeds number three. It's really hard to explain how it's bad or good. You just have to watch it and see how you like it. I recommend watching at least the first episode, just to get a taste of it. Of course, I'd say Hyouka still beats this anime easily.

Seems like the spring season is starting to wrap up. Medaka Box is the only anime I'm watching that has finished airing so far, and it's average at best. There's a second season confirmed, so I guess I'll give that a shot when it airs. Accel World is apparently going to have 24 episodes, so I've got quite some time to watch that one. Almost all the other anime I'm watching are ending within the next three weeks or so. And quite honestly, the only new anime for the summer season I'm looking forward to is Aruvu Rezuru: Kikai Jikake no Yousei-tachi. Seems like it'll be a quiet summer season...

1st Edit:

Today I watched the last episode of Tasogare Otome x Amnesia. The ending was predictable and wasn't as emotionally heart tugging as I think the producers were trying to get at. However, I'd say it's still better than Medaka Box. And today I learned that the new anime I was looking forward to, Aruvu Rezuru, is going to be an OVA. In other words, I have nothing planned for the upcoming summer season. I guess I'll just wait for the recommendations to roll in and plan ahead for the fall season.

2nd Edit:

Another day, another anime finished. Jormungand was just a very flat, bland, shoot 'em up anime. The drama wasn't executed well and the characters are very flat. It's pretty much only just as good as Medaka Box (and ironically those are the only two anime series I'm watching with confirmed second seasons so far). It tries to end suspensefully, but fails quite horribly. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, because this anime wasn't bad. It was just really really far from good. Tomorrow, three anime series I'm watching wrap up and come to an end. Let's see how they do...

3rd (and final) Edit:

Finished Sakamichi no Apollon, Sankarea, and Acchi Kocchi (in that order) today. Sakamichi ended exactly as I expected it to. It wasn't a bad anime, but wasn't all that great either. Sankarea ended terribly. It leaves a lot open for a second season, so I'm hoping for that, but there are too many unanswered questions that don't really leave you with a feeling of suspense, just a feeling of incompletion. It was probably the worst ending to an anime I've seen in a long time. Really ruined a decent first eleven episodes. Acchi Kocchi was just a cute little anime and the ending was, once again, expected. There probably won't be a second season, but it's a plotless anime to start so it's possible they might try to throw in another dozen episodes if people like the anime. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an anime yet that was absolutely amazing. Accel World has thirteen episodes left and Hyouka has eleven. I'm hoping one of those shows really delivers, because this spring season went from promising to disappointing. I'm hoping the autumn season is better, because this summer season doesn't look so good...

Edited by Akazora

:)

Well I don't have much time, but I suppose I can add to the conversation..

GoSick is epic. I forget if it's - well no I don't think it's quite this season.. Either way it's great :3 Uhm... We Still Don't Know the Name of The Flower We Saw That Day is really good as well, I should catch back up on [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko... Dog Days is just boring.. so unless I have nothing better to do I don't watch it lol..

Yeah, Same! GoSick is so EPIC

• Upvote 1

This poor topic was pinned and yet abandoned for years (not like I was helping much). Ā I think it's time for a bit of a spruce up.

Since this is an "seasonal anime" discussion, we should limit talk toĀ onlyĀ anime airing this season. Ā That would mean fall of 2014, which is early October to late December. Ā This is and should be a very simple concept, but for your reference, this is a neat little chart that compiles all the anime of this season:

Anime Fall 2014

Ā 

I've already talked a bit about this season's anime in another thread, but I'll expand on my opinions. Ā I'll also list the anime I'm watching in order of how much I like them:

Ā 

1. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works -Ā This is an absolute masterpiece. Ā Cinematic visuals and action scenes, intriguing plot, and amazing character designs. Ā This is the adaptation of the Fate/saty night visual novel, and it's shaping up to be even better than Fate/Zero which came out a few years ago. Ā UBW is the best anime this season, hands down. Ā It's also the best anime of this year, and it's one of the best anime I've ever seen in my life. Ā I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Ā 

2. Parasyte - A very solid adaptation of an old manga. Ā If F/sn didn't exist, I'd be pretty hyped about this show. Ā The art is clean, as is to be expected of Madhouse, and though it does deviate from the original source material it's still a very good series. Ā It also features a cast of very famous and recognizable seiyuus, which is a plus. Ā The OST uses dubstep, which is a bizarre choice, but I don't dislike it. Ā People will be talking about this for a while, so check it out to see what all the clamor is about.

Ā 

3. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - I'll admit it now, this anime is not or everyone. Ā You'll enjoy it much more if you have a musical background as this anime revolves around music. Ā The beautiful graphics and intense performance sequences cannot be enjoyed to the fullest without musical knowledge, but if you're a fan of dramatic love polygons there's still much to be gained from this. Ā I'm not the biggest fan of the characters, but they're growing on me.

Ā 

4. Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis - A rule of cool anime, this show is nothing like an anime. Ā It has a ton of western influences and very very little of the usual Japanese high school humor, which is not a bad thing. Ā Given the mature atmosphere and medieval setting, this is a seinen show that not many people will talk about, but it's a fun watch regardless. Ā It's made by the same production studio as the one that made Zankyou no Terror from this past summer, so if anything the visuals are very well done.

Ā 

5. Log Horizon Season 2 - This is only a shadow of what the first season was. Ā DEEN studios is not doing a very good job with the visuals and the anime can be boring at times. Ā If you've see the first season, you might as well watch the second, but if you've never gotten into Log Horizon you're not really missing much from the second season at least. Ā This is an anime best enjoyed with MMO knowledge. Ā If you've never played an MMO before, or had to Google those letters to know what I'm talking about, save yourself the time and don't watch this anime.

Ā 

6. Magic Kaito 1412Ā - I'm sorry to say that MK1412 is the worst anime I'm watching this season, barring leftovers from this summer. Ā The art is not very good at all (A-1 has their hands full with Shigatsu wa Kimi to Uso and SAOII I can imagine) and very few of the episodes of new experiences. Ā I'm only watching it for Akako, who isn't even the Akako I liked from the manga or television specials.

Ā 

7. Akame ga KillĀ - A much talked about show that doesn't sit very well with me. Ā It started off great in the summer but has dragged on into the fall and I'm getting tired of the pretentious grittiness contrasted with the flat humor. Ā The characters are forgettable shounen cutouts and the action makes SAO look like it has god-tier art. Ā If you haven't started it yet, good, make sure it stays that way. Ā Not something I'd recommend to anyone.

Ā 

8. Sword Art Online IIĀ - This is hands down the worst anime I'm watching right now, though I'll admit much better than Mahouka and Tokyo ESP from this summer. Ā Predictable plot, no sense of urgency, OP main character with a harem +1 XY chromosome set, and sporadic action that I neither look forward to nor enjoy. Ā Also, the anime is the home of one of my least favorite characters in anime, Asuna, and whenever I hear her speak my endorphin levels hit rock bottom.

Ā 

Ā 

And that is my opinion on the anime of this season! Ā Feel free to agree or disagree with what I have said; these are just our opinions after all. Ā However, remember that this is a chat/discussion thread, so more than just "I'm watching [insert anime here]! [insert emoticon here]" would be appreciated. Ā 

1. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works -Ā This is an absolute masterpiece. Ā Cinematic visuals and action scenes, intriguing plot, and amazing character designs. Ā This is the adaptation of the Fate/saty night visual novel, and it's shaping up to be even better than Fate/Zero which came out a few years ago. Ā UBW is the best anime this season, hands down. Ā It's also the best anime of this year, and it's one of the best anime I've ever seen in my life. Ā I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I've heard you preach praise this series for quite some time, but I've never actually got into it because I think there are prerequisite series that are necessary watches first that I haven't watched yet.

Ā 

8. Sword Art Online IIĀ - This is hands down the worst anime I'm watching right now, though I'll admit much better than Mahouka and Tokyo ESP from this summer. Ā Predictable plot, no sense of urgency, OP main character with a harem +1 XY chromosome set, and sporadic action that I neither look forward to nor enjoy. Ā Also, the anime is the home of one of my least favorite characters in anime, Asuna, and whenever I hear her speak my endorphin levels hit rock bottom.

SAO has always given me this feeling that maybe, just maybe, it would actually make something magical. Then it always disappoints me because the only thing that happens is harem +1 and some failed attempt at trying to be meaningful.Ā 

Ā 

Let me add something onto the pile here:

Ā 

Grisaia no Kaijutsu: A light novel adaptation, that also got a video game, I believe? Something I happened to pick up by complete chance and a series that actually interested me...kinda. Not at first, but I decided to give it a chance and it actually got kinda interesting. Not my thing, but here you guys go.

I've heard you preach praise this series for quite some time, but I've never actually got into it because I think there are prerequisite series that are necessary watches first that I haven't watched yet.

The Fate series is so complicated and it's something that takes a bit of research to understand. Ā I'll try to keep it as simple as possible: Fate/stay night was a visual novel originally released in 2004. Ā It's considered one of the best visual novels ever created, though the 2006 adaptation by DEEN left much to be desired. Ā Fate/Zero, released from '06-'07 as a light novel, is a prequel to F/sn and received an anime adaptation from '11-'12 by ufotable. Ā This anime was very well received and is one of my favorites of all time. Ā Now ufotable is adapting F/sn as the series currently airing, which is directed and executed much better than DEEN's version and feels more like Fate/Zero. Ā This is the bare minimum you need to know going into this series if you so choose, and I've left out all the extra spin-offs and the fact that F/sn has three routes with three different plots and endings (it was originally a visual novel after all).

Ā 

So, should you watch Fate/Zero or Fate/stay night first? Ā There are strong arguments for both sides, but in my opinion I recommend you watch Fate/Zero and then the current Fate/stay night. Ā No matter which side you're on though, everyone agrees the 2006 F/sn adaptation was terrible and should be avoided at all costs.

Ā 

Grisaia no Kaijutsu: A light novel adaptation, that also got a video game, I believe? Something I happened to pick up by complete chance and a series that actually interested me...kinda. Not at first, but I decided to give it a chance and it actually got kinda interesting. Not my thing, but here you guys go.

The synopsis doesn't really intrigue me, but I've definitely heard its name thrown around in other discussions.

I don't think Magic Kaito 1412 is bad at all. In fact, it's quite good, really good actually. You probably think that way, because you're not used to seeing it's artworkĀ in a new style. While the artwork is a bit different than Gosho's and as of myself, I rather prefer Gosho's style since it's more retro, and I dig anything retro, Especially when it comes to anime and manga, it still wouldn't be considered as "bad" artwork. However, I rather enjoy the new style and it still has a touch of retro in it, which satisfies me.

Ā 

The animation doesn't bother me at all as well. It's well laid out, just like any other anime's animation is. While it's not asĀ very wellĀ animated like Detective Conan is, it still has well laid out animation and effects.

Ā 

However, this just my opinion, and this what I personally think aboutĀ Magic Katio 1412.Ā and as of course, I am respecting yours since it's what you personally think, and we should all accept one another's opinions.

Ā 

As for anything anime, I am actually not that big a fan of anime anymore, in fact, it's been quite a longĀ while ago since I droppedĀ keeping up to date withĀ new animes andĀ mangas, say like since March, I have lost a bit of interest in anime and manga.Ā and which personally nowdays, all the modern dayĀ animes and mangas art styles seem to look the same to me.Ā so I don't watch very many of them. The only animes I watchĀ are Detective Conan, Magic Kaito, and PokĆ©mon, so I have nothing to say for 2014 animes besides Magic Kaito 1412 and Detective Conan. In fact, I'm mostly only into retro anime and manga that are usually ranged in the 60s-90s. I'm obsessed with it's art styles, I find it very unique, and each retro manga artist's has a style of their own. And I often take a liking to this kind of style since IĀ find it as "Unique" and "Beautiful". That's one of the reasonsĀ why I'm a big fan of Detective Conan, (However, there'sĀ many other reasons why I love it of course.)Ā it has a very unique art style, and when looking at Gosho's artwork, I can usually feel the emotions coming through his works. This may sound weird, I know, but I'm a totalĀ geek when it comes to anything retro. XD

I don't think Magic Kaito 1412 is bad at all. In fact, it's quite good, really good actually. You probably think that way, because you're not used to seeing it's artworkĀ in a new style. While the artwork is a bit different than Gosho's and as of myself, I rather prefer Gosho's style since it's more retro, and I dig anything retro, Especially when it comes to anime and manga, it still wouldn't be considered as "bad" artwork. However, I rather enjoy the new style and it still has a touch of retro in it, which satisfies me.

Ā 

The animation doesn't bother me at all as well. It's well laid out, just like any other anime's animation is. While it's not asĀ very wellĀ animated like Detective Conan is, it still has well laid out animation and effects.

To me, the art/animation is just an added thing that makes me whine (as an avid follower of One Piece, it didn't affect anything more than the occasional wince). I never really like the Magic Kaito series in the first place; it's just random humor, and not as well thought and plotted out as DC and many fanfictions have portrayed it. The whole organization and Pandora thing didn't come until the 3rd volume (?), and although the anime adaptation changed that, there are still a lot of problems with pacing. For example, the way they brought out Touichi's death was handled badly, as was Akako's 'Red Magic' showdown.

If anything, the old specials were better. Why? Just art familiarity that makes you think that Kaitou Kid and Conan coexist. It's why I follow the Magic Kaito stuff; for the characters in that one universe. However, I can imagine people who don't watch DC thinking, "... Why did anyone bother adapting this?" They don't appreciate Kaitou Kiddo-sama... T-T

Ā 

Ā 

However, this just my opinion, and this what I personally think aboutĀ Magic Katio 1412.Ā and as of course, I am respecting yours since it's what you personally think, and we should all accept one another's opinions.

Ā 

As for anything anime, I am actually not that big a fan of anime anymore, in fact, it's been quite a longĀ while ago since I droppedĀ keeping up to date withĀ new animes andĀ mangas, say like since March, I have lost a bit of interest in anime and manga.Ā and which personally nowdays, all the modern dayĀ animes and mangas art styles seem to look the same to me.Ā so I don't watch very many of them. The only animes I watchĀ are Detective Conan, Magic Kaito, and PokĆ©mon, so I have nothing to say for 2014 animes besides Magic Kaito 1412 and Detective Conan. In fact, I'm mostly only into retro anime and manga that are usually ranged in the 60s-90s. I'm obsessed with it's art styles, I find it very unique, and each retro manga artist's has a style of their own. And I often take a liking to this kind of style since IĀ find it as "Unique" and "Beautiful". That's one of the reasonsĀ why I'm a big fan of Detective Conan, (However, there'sĀ many other reasons why I love it of course.)Ā it has a very unique art style, and when looking at Gosho's artwork, I can usually feel the emotions coming through his works. This may sound weird, I know, but I'm a totalĀ geek when it comes to anything retro. XD

It doesn't have anything to do with the artwork as much as it has to do with terribly animated sequences. Ā Face and body proportions change constantly, people move around awkwardly, and everything looks very unpolished. Ā I don't mind Gosho's art style at all. Ā And from what you've said, I can imagine how you'd think the animation is "well laid out". Ā If you'd watch some of the more recent anime that have aired over the past few years, MK1412 has terrible animation. Ā No effort put into camera angles to draw out emotions and nothing is as cinematic or as humorous as it should be. Ā Even just taking a look at this season's anime, most everything I'm watching had more effort put into the series than MK1412. Ā Magic Kaito's "action" scenes have nothing compared to Fate/stay night's, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso shows raw emotion on faces far better than MK can, and Bahamut Genesis has a setting and atmosphere more unique than MK1412's. Ā Even AgK and SAOII, which I dislike far more than MK1412, have cleaner animation. Ā The only series that looks as bad as MK1412 is Log Horizon. Ā I say this and it may sound like I think MK1412 has the worst art I've ever seen in an anime. Ā This isn't isn't true (that title is saved for another anime). Ā I'll admit that this season is stellar animation-wise, which is why MK1412 seems to be so bad. Ā In actuality, its animation is practically on the same level as summer 2014 anime like Tokyo ESP and Tokyo Ghoul. Ā New anime can definitely have horrendous animation, so I'm not saying MK1412's is unusually bad. Ā It's just bad in a very normal and regular way, if that makes any sense, which is still bad now matter how you cut it.

Ā 

For comparative purposes, here's a link to MK1412's opening, and here's one for the far more artistically directed Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso opening. Ā The Shigatsu opening is linked to a public Facebook video, only because all versions on YouTube have been taken down.Ā Ā 

I already stated before that I don't watch very many anime these days due to some personal problems associated with it and such. The only animes I watch nowdays are retroĀ animes and re boots, so I don't know what fate/stay night is or any of the other animes you have mentioned in your post, as IĀ am not familiar with those titles.Ā :/

Ā 

Ā Understandable. Many fans don't seem to like the animation for Sailor Moon Crystal since it doesn't reflect Naoki's 90s anime animation and artwork. However, there are alsoĀ many fans who adore the new animation and artwork. With that said, there are a lot ofĀ fans who may not like the new animation or even artwork, but there are also a lot of fansĀ who love the new animation and artwork, and we must respect each other's opinions cause it's what they think and we don't have to agree with what they say, but if it's of what they personally like and believe, then that's perfectly fine, and we have to learn to accept one another's opinions, so as of course I can understand and I accept this since it's of your opinion and of what you think of Magic Kaito 1412.

Ā 

It would make aĀ lot more sense if you compared a Detective Conan opening to theĀ Magic Kaito 1412 opening, if you doĀ it this way, it would make it easier to point out the difference in the animation since Gosho did create both of these series.Ā Not that you have to follow my advice of course, this is just the way I would compare them as all. :D

Ā 

And I don't go on facebook, due to hearing various rumours about the site's community and suchĀ there, so I don't have a facebook account. However I do only go on facebook only to keep up with the status updates of my favorite musical artist such as Acid Black Cherry.

I already stated before that I don't watch very many anime these days due to some personal problems associated with it and such. The only animes I watch nowdays are retroĀ animes and re boots, so I don't know what fate/stay night is or any of the other animes you have mentioned in your post, as IĀ am not familiar with those titles.Ā :/

Ā 

Ā Understandable. Many fans don't seem to like the animation for Sailor Moon Crystal since it doesn't reflect Naoki's 90s anime animation and artwork. However, there are alsoĀ many fans who adore the new animation and artwork. With that said, there are a lot ofĀ fans who may not like the new animation or even artwork, but there are also a lot of fansĀ who love the new animation and artwork, and we must respect each other's opinions cause it's what they think and we don't have to agree with what they say, but if it's of what they personally like and believe, then that's perfectly fine, and we have to learn to accept one another's opinions, so as of course I can understand and I accept this since it's of your opinion and of what you think of Magic Kaito 1412.

Ā 

It would make aĀ lot more sense if you compared a Detective Conan opening to theĀ Magic Kaito 1412 opening, if you doĀ it this way, it would make it easier to point out the difference in the animation since Gosho did create both of these series.Ā Not that you have to follow my advice of course, this is just the way I would compare them as all. :D

Ā 

And I don't go on facebook, due to hearing various rumours about the site's community and suchĀ there, so I don't have a facebook account. However I do only go on facebook only to keep up with the status updates of my favorite musical artist such as Acid Black Cherry.

I understand where you come from, but I can't help but disagree with some of your points. Ā You say it would make more sense to compare Magic Kaito 1412 to Detective Conan but that in itself would be a terrible comparison. Ā Magic Kaito 1412 is produced by A-1 Pictures while Detective Conan is made by TMS Entertainment. Ā Gosho is the original illustrator for theĀ manga of both series but is not responsible in any way for the animation in the anime adaptations. Ā I am not saying Magic Kaito has bad art. Ā I like Gosho's style as it's clean, detailed, and recognizable. Ā However the animation is directly related to the studio: A-1 Pictures. Ā It has absolutely nothing to do with Gosho. Ā Furthermore, I compared MK1412 to Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso because both are made by A-1 Pictures and are airing at the exact same time. Ā The studio has everything to do with the animation while the orginal mangaka does not, so my comparison makes more sense. Ā I don't mean to sound rude, but looking at it any other way would be making too many faulty connections and would miss the bigger picture on how the anime industry works. Ā Just remember, art =/= animation.

Ā 

I respect your opinion to only have an interest in retro anime. Ā However, I view anime as much as a form of art as it is a form of entertainment. Ā I only complain about MK1412 because of its consistency, which, even by retro standards, is not very good. Ā This is nothing like Sailor Moon Crystal vs. the older Sailor Moon series. Ā Both Sailor Moons have clean art, consistent faces, smooth animations, and good directing given their respective time periods. Ā People only prefer the old one over the new one (or vice versa) because they have a stylistic preference. Ā I want to make it clear, I don't dislike retro anime. Ā Old anime can have very good art, like Revolutionary Girl Utena or Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ā I dislike MK1412 however, because it has inconsistent art and bad directing. Ā No matter the time period, this is inexcusable. Ā No offense, but to say the animation is "well laid out" would be a bit of an insult to objectively better animated series, even "retro" ones like Cowboy Bebop.

Ā 

I don't mean to sound too harsh, because I do respect everyone's opinion as long as it is an informed one. Ā Also, we have strayed too far off topic. Ā We should keep this an anime-this-season discussion thread. Ā If you have more to say about things that don't pertain directly to MK1412, feel free to private message me. Ā 

@Akazora: Yes, I already know that it's made by A-1 and not TMS. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to me because both the series are by the same author. And I know that it would seem like a rather bizzare comparison, but it's not a terrible one, at least I don't think so.

Ā 

An insult? :PĀ Ā Not an insult. I'm just respecting the hard work the animators have put into the show. And if you have something against this, (Not saying that you do of course.)Ā then I don't know what to say to that. :/Ā 

Ā 

And no, you're not being offensive. You're just trying toĀ spot some points to meĀ andĀ stating your opinions, you did not black mail or hurt anyone's feelings so it's okay. Why would you think so? :blink:

Ā 

*Back on topic* I agree that we have strayed a bit far off from the original basis of the topic, so back on topic!Ā  :P

Ā 

Speaking of Sailor Moon Crystal, does anyone else here keeps tabs with that anime? I tend to watch it every once in a while when I have nothing else to do.

Speaking of Sailor Moon Crystal, does anyone else here keeps tabs with that anime? I tend to watch it every once in a while when I have nothing else to do.

Don't know why I've finally gotten around to responding to this, considering I'm not even following Sailor Moon Crystal nor have I have ever watched the original series. Ā From the clips I've seen though, it doesn't look too bad. Ā The only things that turn me off are the CGI transformation scenes. Ā CGI, when done right, can make a series look great by complementing the art style and animation. Ā CGI people have never been to my taste, and honestly it looks tacky and robotic. Ā I'm not familiar enough with SMC to know who's behind the animation, but they seriously should have just stuck to sakuga for important scenes like that, not money saving CGI.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is aots in my opinion

Also liking Parasyte

Shigatsu started off great but has run stale unfortunately. Ā I used to like it a lot, but now the only thing I can appreciate about it is the art and animation, and occasionally the music. Ā The characters are unbelievable for being middle schoolers, the plot develops far too slowly, and the metaphors and symbolism falls flat and feels pretentious. Ā It's a real shame, because music has been a huge part of my life and I thought Shigatsu would be the anime for me. Ā However, it doesn't portray recitals accurately at all. Ā That being said, it's still one of the better than this season, but definitely behind Parasyte and leagues behind Fate/stay night: UBW.

Shigatsu started off great but has run stale unfortunately. Ā I used to like it a lot, but now the only thing I can appreciate about it is the art and animation, and occasionally the music. Ā The characters are unbelievable for being middle schoolers, the plot develops far too slowly, and the metaphors and symbolism falls flat and feels pretentious. Ā It's a real shame, because music has been a huge part of my life and I thought Shigatsu would be the anime for me. Ā However, it doesn't portray recitals accurately at all. Ā That being said, it's still one of the better than this season, but definitely behind Parasyte and leagues behind Fate/stay night: UBW.

I think that maybe because I'm not a massive classical music lover that I can really get behind it.

This whole idea of letting your soul out through a piano I find really beautiful. I'm not sure if you read the manga (egscans have up to like chapter 28 out) but the direction that the manga is actually going is really a really good one, they have added in subtle hints along the way.

I think that maybe because I'm not a massive classical music lover that I can really get behind it.

This whole idea of letting your soul out through a piano I find really beautiful. I'm not sure if you read the manga (egscans have up to like chapter 28 out) but the direction that the manga is actually going is really a really good one, they have added in subtle hints along the way.

While I'm not denying emotional expression through music is beautiful, I feel like the anime portrays it with such histrionics it's unbelievable. Ā I mean, seriously, random audience members and little children can magically "feel" and "see" the emotion behind the notes they hear and they're all completely and thoroughly well versed on contestants and performers. Ā As a person who's grown around musical recitals and concerts, this is never the case. Ā Classical music just doesn't work this way, unfortunately. Ā Then again, Shigatsu is really no different from sports anime; they make things seem over the top and dramatic while ignoring the technical and legitimately strategic aspects of basketball or volleyball for the sake of keeping things relatable for a general audience. Ā I don't have anything against this, but I think I may have come into the series with the wrong mindset. Ā It's still a really solid and well made anime. Ā It just isn't reaching its full potential with its musical backdrop.