Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
tengaku squared

A SPAM Issue...

A SPAM Issue  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think spam on this forum is getting out of hand?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should DCW bump up its anti-spam defense?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you like SPAM (the marketed meat version)? :P

• Yes
    • No

Lately I have noticed many accounts that are "spamming". I believe this is a huge issue.

I myself am getting tired, and I believe the administrators and moderators do so too.

Should DCW boost its anti-spam defenses (if it has any)?

Please vote in poll!

• Upvote 1

im pretty shure if they had Spam defenses they would already be boosted

and Checkhov:

I would buy medical products from a manga forum. I mean what if im reading a manga and i cut myself. I would buy some right here [/sarcasm] lmao :D

Yeah, I am aware of this issue. It's weird cause for many many months, we barely had any spam (if not at all). We do have a tough captcha on the registration page so it's kind of odd they seem to be able to pass so easily through the security measures in place. We noticed however that some posts seem to be written by actual users (and not bots), like people trying to promote their websites (it's a classic internet marketing scheme to attract visitors). Since we're pretty well ranked on google, such people are happy to target popular sites like this one. I'll see what can be done to counter those attacks.

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/939-glaxo-smith-kline-famvir-glucophage-fur-insulin-abhangiger-diabetes/Someone put it out of its misery, please. Seriously, who would actually buy pharmaceuticals from a manga forum?

Removed.

Edit: I just changed the captcha to a locally generated one with trickier backgrounds and colors. I hope it'll do the trick!

I was going to talk about this in a DCW audio update, but glad to see it's being talked about here.

I answered "yes" to all three (Have you ever had SPAM and eggs? It's freakin' delicious, go for it.) The spam on the forum is getting out of control. It's problem when I'm deleting 5-7 spam posts every 12 hours. Maurice and I have been talking about ways to try and change things, but we'll see what happens.

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/939-glaxo-smith-kline-famvir-glucophage-fur-insulin-abhangiger-diabetes/

Someone put it out of its misery, please. Seriously, who would actually buy pharmaceuticals from a manga forum?

That's always been my thoughts with spam posts (Does anyone even click on these links? Seriously, who cares?), but I guess they feel there's an untapped market for selling diabetes medication to people posting on a forum dedicated to Detective Conan. Who knows, maybe the demographics are RIGHT THERE~!

Edit: I just changed the captcha to a locally generated one with trickier backgrounds and colors. I hope it'll do the trick!

The captcha makes my head turn...icon_e_confused.gif

I suggested this idea to Maurice, and I will say it on this forum:

Why don't we make an anti-spam bot called "Little Mo"? (tongue.gif)

Yes, the name isn't neccessary, but I think humans will not be able to keep up without being overwhelmed or losing it.

EDIT:

I was going to talk about this in a DCW audio update, but glad to see it's being talked about here.

I answered "yes" to all three (Have you ever had SPAM and eggs? It's freakin' delicious, go for it.)...That's always been my thoughts with spam posts (Does anyone even click on these links? Seriously, who cares?), but I guess they feel there's an untapped market for selling diabetes medication to people posting on a forum dedicated to Detective Conan. Who knows, maybe the demographics are RIGHT THERE~!

SPAM and eggs are good!

And maybe there is a secret market...tongue.gif

By the way, hey Southpaw!

I've been taking care of spammers a lot more lately too... and I agree that it is weird. We used to get a whole bunch at the beginning, and then Maurice instituted the captcha thing, which made it better for a while... I should have known that eventually someone would figure out how to overcome it -_-;;;;;;;

I've been taking care of spammers a lot more lately too... and I agree that it is weird. We used to get a whole bunch at the beginning, and then Maurice instituted the captcha thing, which made it better for a while... I should have known that eventually someone would figure out how to overcome it -_-;;;;;;;

No defense will forever protect anything...bots are already capable of breaking through some captcha. (esp. the Time Poll THE GAME prank, see spoiler)

time.jpg

For those who don't understand: The first letters of the top 20 spell out "Marble Cake. Also, the Game."

This took a lot of automated bot voters that broke through the captcha by getting it correct...

Oddly, it looks like the most controversial question on this poll is the "Do you like SPAM?" question...icon_mrgreen.gif

Define 'spam' please. Different people have different opinions.

Well, I'm not talking about the packaged meat version that's red. I'm talking about spam posts.

I guess here is an example of a spammer, I collected various spam posts and placed them here: Over here!