Detective Conan World
AnimeOtakuDrew

Alcohol Coincidence?

Greetings, all! I have been watching through everything Conan (currently up to episode 530 and movie 13), and a random thought just occurred to me which I find rather intriguing,  The Black Organization uses alcohol names for their codenames (at least thus far). Gin, Vodka, Vermouth, Chianti, Kron (presumably for corn whiskey), Bourbon, Irish (explained in the movie as Irish whiskey), Sherry.  The thing that just occurred to me is this:  What was Conan/Shinichi's first big hint toward an antidote for the Apotoxin? Baigar, a Chinese ALCOHOL! Could that really be a coincidence?  Or is is possible that it was intentional?  Consider this.  Miyano Shiho was neither the only, nor the first scientist the Organization had working on the Apotoxin. What if her parents or some other scientist INTENTIONALLY made the APTX-4869 so the Baigar could counter it under the instruction of Anokata?  Why would they do that? Clearly Anokata has a love of liquors as he/she bestows alcohol codenames upon the Organization members, perhaps Baigar is Anokata's personal favorite liquor. But why make it counter the new poison the Organization cientists are developing?  Simple, if Baigar is indeed Anokata's favorite, he/she would clearly keep it on hand, so if he/she were ever betrayed by a member of the Organization who tried to poison him/her with the Apotoxin, he/she would have the antidote readily available.  Conversely, for anyone not in the know about Baigar being able to counter the poison, it is uncommon enough that they would have little or no chance of accidentally stumbling across it and saving themselves, and even if they had somehow learned the secret, it is unlikely they could get to that particular kind of liquor in time.  In short, Anokata have the counteractive properties of Baigar built into the poison from the beginning (which explains Sherry not knowing about it at she built on the research of other Organization scientists to create the Apotoxin) as a self preservation insurance policy!  In fact, what if Anokata had the very first scientist working on the poison specifically find some chemical compound that will combine with something in the Baigar to neutralize it, then killed that scientist so nobody else would know exactly what the purpose of that particular compound was, and ordered subsequent scientists to base all of their research into the new poison SPECIFICALLY on that compound?!  I think that fits, and I think it would be an interesting twist!  And then, perhaps, the Baigar could be a clue not only to reversing the effects of the APTX-4869, but to finding Anokata and bringing down the Organization itself!!!

What do you guys think? Plausible theory? I am probably not the first to have this thought, but there are just WAY too many topics to go through them all and ook for anything that might relate, so I sincerely apologize if I am restating anything that has already been run into the ground. Anyways, just wanting to see what others think of this theory.  Ja na!!!

The Baigar itself only seems to work once though and even then it is temporary. Even the antidotes that Haibara makes based on the chemical properties of Baigar seem to have diminishing returns. Meaning that each time they are used, they last for a shorter and shorter frame. Having Baigar on hand really wouldn't save the Boss if they happened to get fed APTX.  

Yes, the Baigar only worked once for Conan to turn back into Shinichi, but the original intent of the Apotoxin was not to revert a person into a child. It was created to be an untraceable poison. But consider this, at the point when Conan was given the Baigar, a lot of time had passed since he had been poisoned with the APTX-4869. If Baigar had the ability to restore Conan's body that first time, is it not also possible that, if drank quickly enough after being given the Apotoxin, it might be completely neutralized? Im not saying this is definitely the case, but it seems like it is at least POSSIBLE that, if the Baigar was consumed before the poison of APTX was allowed to be absorbed into the body and do its work, it might prevent the effects of the poison. And remember, the original purpose of APTX-4869 was not to revert its victim to a child's body, but to be an untraceable poison. It's effect on Shinichi and Shiho was an unintentional side effect. With that being the case, it stands to reason that the effect of the antidote would lessen after the poison had already had time to get fully absorbed into the  body and do its work. With all other victims of the Apotoxin, it is too late at that point because they died, and pouring Baigar own the throat of the body would not bring them back to life. Again, this is not something I am certain about by any means, I just found it interesting that it was a type of alcohol that initially reverted Conan to his normal body after being given the poison by the Black Organization, who happen to name their members for types of alcohol.

Of course, another possibility is that APTX-4869 was INTENDED to have that side effect. Then why have we only seen or heard of only two people who have been affected that way? Because it was designed to only have that effect on a certain genotype. When a person is going to receive a transplant, there are many different things considered to prevent rejection (tissue types, etc.) and it has been like that since organ transplants started. But with today's technology, we now can not only look at blood types and tissue types, but also the actual DNA. Over 99% of my DNA is the same as every human being on this planet, but in the little bit that is different, there will still be similarities. It has also been shown that there are certain genes that appear in only a small percent of the population. Is it not possible that there is some rare genotype that the Apotoxin reacted to inside Shinichi and Shiho in order to have this effect on them? And, if that is the case, is t also not possible that that effect was intentionally and secretly built into the APTX by the first scientists working on it for some reason we don't yet know. Perhaps Anokata had some plan to send an organization member, or even go him/herself for an undercover mission where any adult outsider would be suspect, therefore they had this drug developed and tailored to a rare genotype inside the proposed recipient to revert them to a child's body so they would be able to complete the mission. The effect on anyone not having this genotype is death, and the genotype is rare enough that the Organization chooses to also use the Apotoxin as a poison since it is untraceable. If this is the case, we can guess that whatever plan required an organization member to revert to a child body has not yet been completed as there was not antidote prepared to restore them. Sherry only knew about this side effect from her testing of the Apotoxin, so this would have been something built into it by the scientists working the project before her. It would clearly have been done in secret because Anokata wouldn't want this to be commonly known. Perhaps Sherry wasn't trusted enough to be told the secret, or perhaps refining the drug as a poison (which is really what she was tasked to do) just didn't require foreknowledge of its secret purpose. If this is the case, I am sure there is someone else within the Organization still working secretly to develop a cure to the de-aging effects of the APTX-4869. This would also open up some interesting story possibilities as Conan could somehow catch wind of this and investigate it: a child member of the Black Organization on a secret deadly mission, an unknown scientist working secretly in the Organization to develop a cure. If Conan could get Haibara together with this scientist to compare their data, perhaps a cure could be found.  It is an interesting possibility. Maybe I will do something with this in my fanfic series.

These are just some ideas that occurred to me which I found both interesting and plausible. Just wanted to see what other fans think. Thanks for taking the time to read it, I look forward to your thoughts again.

2 hours ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

but the original intent of the Apotoxin was not to revert a person into a child. It was created to be an untraceable poison.

No, it wasn't. Haibara says in her introduction that she never intended to make a poison and that the untraceable killing was a side effect; and she also said she detest it being used as a poison.

Apologies. I remembered inaccurately.  With that being the case, however, that lends even more creedence to this idea. The de-aging wasn't the side effect, but the intended effect, the fact that it kills anyone who is not of the proper genotype is the side effect. Thank yoou for pointing out my mistake.

But wasn't Haibara unaware of the effects of the Chinese alcohol till the pisco case? This coupled with the fact that Haibara based this project on her parents research and started it almost from the scratch because of some lab fire means that alcohol being a temporary antidote to the drug was unintended. 

Right, Haibara was unaware of the effect the Baigar would have prior to that case. And I also believe that you are right about her basing her own research on that of her parents. Therefore, is it not possible that she was instructed to include a certain part of the previous research without explaining why (after all, the Baigar was supposed to be a SECRET antidote, and I can easily imagine the Black Organizatioin giving orders without explanations)? And, isn't it also possible that the theoretical base component that reacts to the Baigar was also stored elsewhere and thus escaped the fire that destroyed the rest of the research? After all, as you said, she "started it ALMOST from scratch." If a base component like I've described was developed first and then all of the research stemmed from that, those initial findings would naturally have already been turned in by whatever previous scientist created it, meaning Sherry could have gone to whoever was her direct superior following the lab fire to get that original formula to resume her research. Or, she might have kept a copy of the original formula in her own separate records, along with any particularly promising developments she might have made during her own research, then used that to restart the research following the fire. There are all sorts of ways it could work out for such a compound to be built into the formula for APTX-4869 without Sherry knowing about it, and just as many ways for the Organization to make sure she included the compound in her continuing research. I just think it kind of fits, and it would explain a lot.

1 hour ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

Right, Haibara was unaware of the effect the Baigar would have prior to that case. And I also believe that you are right about her basing her own research on that of her parents. Therefore, is it not possible that she was instructed to include a certain part of the previous research without explaining why (after all, the Baigar was supposed to be a SECRET antidote, and I can easily imagine the Black Organizatioin giving orders without explanations)? And, isn't it also possible that the theoretical base component that reacts to the Baigar was also stored elsewhere and thus escaped the fire that destroyed the rest of the research? After all, as you said, she "started it ALMOST from scratch." If a base component like I've described was developed first and then all of the research stemmed from that, those initial findings would naturally have already been turned in by whatever previous scientist created it, meaning Sherry could have gone to whoever was her direct superior following the lab fire to get that original formula to resume her research. Or, she might have kept a copy of the original formula in her own separate records, along with any particularly promising developments she might have made during her own research, then used that to restart the research following the fire. There are all sorts of ways it could work out for such a compound to be built into the formula for APTX-4869 without Sherry knowing about it, and just as many ways for the Organization to make sure she included the compound in her continuing research. I just think it kind of fits, and it would explain a lot.

She was a prodigy in biochemistry and had graduated by 10 if my memory serves me right. This indicates that she not being able to understand something in her own field would be improbable. Further she based her research on her parents research which would mean she had to understand it well enough to do anything. 

On 8/28/2016 at 2:21 AM, detConShin said:

This indicates that she not being able to understand something in her own field would be improbable.

Certainly! I am not saying she wouldn't understand the chemistry of it. If she was given a chemical formula by her superiors and told to work from that, she would absolutely discover that it is a stable formula and all sorts of properties of that formula, but there would be no reason for her to even consider that the formula had any type of connection to a type of Chinese liquor, so it would actually be quite surprising if she DID realize it was connected to the Baigar.

On 8/28/2016 at 2:21 AM, detConShin said:

Further she based her research on her parents research which would mean she had to understand it well enough to do anything. 

Agreed once again! Given her parents' research by her superiors, as I said, she would test the previous findings and learn the properties of the base formula  in order to continue the research herself. She would not necessarily have to know the purpose of the proposed base compound in order to do her own research, only the properties of it so she could determine its potential chemical reactions when combined with other ingredients.Furthermore, do we know the circumstances under which both of Haibara's parents died (seriously, do we? I am around episode 640 now, plus I don't clearly recall the references I've already seen to her parents)? Is it possible her father and/or mother was specifically ordered to create the compound I've proposed that would react with the Baigar in secret, without listing its purpose in their research notes? Is it not also possible that, upon completing that compound, that was when Anokata decided to kill them so they could not disclose the true purpose of that compound to anyone? Or perhaps even staged their death and had them locked away to continue their research independently of Sherry's? Just thoughts, but I really think it could fit and answer a few questions.