Detective Conan World
User 4869

[DCTP] Weekly Manga Scanlations Have Ceased

[DCTP] Weekly Manga Scanlations Have Ceased, All Downloads & Links Removed (Effective Immediately)

Due to a takedown notice from representatives of VIZ Media, Inc., the current copyright holders of the Detective Conan manga in North America, DCTP will no longer be producing scanlations of the weekly manga chapters or hosting any Detective Conan manga. Accordingly, all Detective Conan manga chapter downloads and any links therein are being removed immediately.

The forums and chatboxes will remain online in order to facilitate discussion of the series. We will continue to post the latest news and developments regarding the series, but we will no longer be hosting Detective Conan media on this website. Expect all elements of the website to be updated to reflect this shortly.

We thank everyone for supporting Detective Conan and our efforts to translate it over the years. We will have much more to say in the near future and will share more information as soon as the relevant decisions have been made. In the meantime, we strongly encourage fellow fans to buy their local versions of Detective Conan from available retailers in order to continue to support the series as we always have as well.

Thank you for the support,
The DCTP Manga Team

http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=12436#p830196

It was a fun ride. And remember, flaming Viz will get you nowhere, except get DCW and DCTP in trouble.

KnightusMax: We intend to continue operating this Spoilers page to report the latest in news and developments of Detective Conan. And it's up to all of you guys to help keep the page alive so we can know what happens through the end of the series! Thank you all, thank you all from the bottom of my heart for participating and being a part of our community and supporting us all this way.

Fujiwara: The spoiler box will stay. Everything else is uncertain, but there definitely won't be any more English scanlations in any form here.

Edited by User 4869
  • Upvote 5

I'm slightly annoyed at the fact that they're being such pricks on Detective Conan subs/translations but aren't doing anything about other popular anime/manga.

But it's good to know that some people are willing to translate during their free time.

As long as there is somebody translating, whether the subs are good or not, it's certainly better than nothing at all. Just do the best you can whoever it shall be. Finally, thanks DCTP for your hard work and dedication over the years.

Now if Viz Media is indeed so serious in protecting their interests in Detective Conan/Case Closed, then I have a request for them. I wish that they could speed up the release of the Detective Conan/Case Closed manga here in the US. If they have to be a few volumes behind from what's released in Japan, fine but as of right now Japan is working on what would be vol. 85 while in the US we're only at vol. 51. A 34 volume difference is a bit too much in my opinion. Try to be 5 behind bare minimum please if you don't mind.

Edited by ShockerCC
  • Upvote 1

I was holding out on reading spoilers up until now, but god damn.  Ah well, pretty bad timing but other than that nothing much else to say.  Thanks to DCTP for all the work they've done, and it sure has been a wild however many years.

I don't have to flame Viz I will however laugh hysterically at them because of the futility of this. It's not going to do (drum rolls)

anything!

One sub group drops it and another picks it up. It's an endless cycle. Want to end it? Try something like SOPA....

(pause)

Oh wait that didn't work either!

lol

So yeah, it's just a minor setback.

Don't like it Viz? Do your translations properly.

Shinichi is not named Jimmy

Ran is not named Rachel

Kogoro is not named Richard

Eri is not named Eva Kadan

(the list goes on)

Until then sorry but the subs make bigger hits than you guys.

Even Dragon Ball Z with their minorly flawed (and somewhat Americanized dub dialogue) is better than what I see from your Detective Conan manga and the anime.

• Upvote 2

DCTP takes yet another hit :/ At least they're still translating that game... even though I don't think I'll ever get to play it XD;

Here's the thing about why Detective Conan has been such a battle in the States... Detective Conan is HUGE in Japan. So here, they had to pay BIG BUCKS in order to have rights over here to it. Somewhere I read that Case Closed was the name change required by trademark and copyright issues, I don't know. Now I don't know when they got these rights, but they had to put themselves out there to do it. If so many of you were kids when you first saw it, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was very close (in years) to the time that it was first being produced in Japan. Someone told me the reason that it sucked so bad was that they had practically depleted their budget in purchasing the rights, but wanted to be able to immediately produce in America what was doing so well in Japan. I don't know if that's true, but it would make sense for some of the, quite frankly, sloppy work on FUNimation's part. Someone thought that English names would work better than Japanese for the market (come on now, when you were a kid, did you find Shinichi and Ran (especially for a girl!) to be normal names? Nooo~) and thus killed it for people like us who now have this unexpected access to find out about the original which is still doing amazing in Japan.

So they had to cancel the show pretty early on. But now look at it! There's American viewers from everywhere super into this franchise which FUNimation and Viz have rights to! Why the heck would they, after realizing that there is actually a huge market still out there for something they spent so much friggen money on, let someone put it all out there for free?! I have a hunch that they're trying to clear the board so when they actually put all the money into producing this stuff that we'll buy theirs because it'll be the only thing available. I haven't visited FUNimation's site in forever, but a lonngg time ago they started putting up their subbed (not dubbed!) episodes on their site. I don't know what was free to view, though. I would give them a standing ovation if they would just stop with jacking up the storyline and dump the project and restart. Then they would probably have a huuuuge boost in sales. The story and characters is what makes this thing so great, in my opinion. And for some unknown reason, they've jacked up both. Let's hope this only means that they're about to put the funds behind this thing and get it moving in the right direction. Who knows? Maybe they could actually salvage this mess...

Says the person who hates English dubbing and names >3>

This is because these companies like FUNimation and Viz fail to realize how utterly rotten their English dubs are. 

---

First of all, Americanizing names isn't going to appeal to the viewers who have been watching the Japanese sub for their entire lives. If anything, they should have chose better names for the characters. Sorry, but "Jimmy" isn't going to cut it.

Second of all, the pace at which they're dubbing these episodes is slow enough to discourage people from watching the dub. They aren't even trying anymore.

Lastly, there's nothing that could have stopped them from subbing the show themselves. They've done it for loads of other shows, so why didn't they do it for DC? They could have earned more money, gained more viewers, and wouldn't have to worry about copyright issues since there wouldn't be any need for other subbers.

But no. They basically screamed "YOLO" and prayed that they'll gain money from the dubs that barely anyone watches. DC has a huge fanbase, and the fact that they're still being huge nitpicks on copyright just shows how butthurt they are about the crappy dubs they tried to shove down our throats.

lol yeah, sorry for the huge rant, but it's completely unfair how they let other anime/manga continue on with fan subs/translations, but welcome themselves to step all over DCTP.

@Kenzi

It's terrible. Awful. I hate it.

It's because of bad dubs like Case Closed is why the Remastered HD -free filler and more faithful version to the manga Dragon Ball Z Kai was such a blessing for DB fans in America.

@Akazora

It was posted on another forum wanted your guys input. Not too many people are posting in the thread about it so posting here.

This was inevitable, but it was a fun ride while it lasted. Though I don't like DC, I really don't like hearing news like this, even if I don't like the series – it's not like the guys that made the strike are going to make the series any better. Considering their track history, they could make it worse. If they wanted to kill DC's Western audience, they have likely succeeded.

Oh well.

This was inevitable, but it was a fun ride while it lasted. Though I don't like DC, I really don't like hearing news like this, even if I don't like the series – it's not like the guys that made the strike are going to make the series any better. Considering their track history, they could make it worse. If they wanted to kill DC's Western audience, they have likely succeeded.

Oh well.

This post is so confusing.

• You're a donator on a site called DETECTIVECONANworld, how can you not like Detective Conan?
  • What strike?
  • What track history?
  • Why would DCTP stopping scanlations kill the western audience? They already organized a new team on reddit.

You're a donator on a site called DETECTIVECONANworld, how can you not like Detective Conan?

I get this question a lot, and it frustrates me, frankly. What does not liking DC have anything to do with being an active member? Do I have to like DC to be a member here? Because frankly, that's a pretty difficult thing for me to do.

What strike?

A copyright strike.

What track history?

I, personally, don't like how Viz wasted their opportunities with DC. As long as they hold the rights to DC, it's not going to be good.

Why would DCTP stopping scanlations kill the western audience? They already organized a new team on reddit.

You have to understand that people that read scanlations – well, there's not a lot of them as you might think. Without any main broadcasting by a more powerful channel, there's no way that DC is going to get more popular. This is why I say that DC's western audience has been killed, though I think stagnate would be a better word.

I get this question a lot, and it frustrates me, frankly. What does not liking DC have anything to do with being an active member? Do I have to like DC to be a member here? Because frankly, that's a pretty difficult thing for me to do.

The point of the community is to discuss DC, isn't it? To stay here in spite of that rather than finding a community whose main point you're actually interested in seems illogical, if not pretentious. That aside - is it really that surprising that people are confused by your stance?

I, personally, don't like how Viz wasted their opportunities with DC. As long as they hold the rights to DC, it's not going to be good.

What did Viz do wrong? Aside from the name changes, which were mandated by their contract, their translations are pretty much on point. The only ones that really screwed up are Funimation.

You have to understand that people that read scanlations – well, there's not a lot of them as you might think. Without any main broadcasting by a more powerful channel, there's no way that DC is going to get more popular. This is why I say that DC's western audience has been killed, though I  think stagnate would be a better word.

This has happened countless times before. Just because DCTP has done the job for a while doesn't mean that any and all DC fans are going to instantly disintegrate, specially if one of the biggest Conan sites on the web is taking over.

The point of the community is to discuss DC, isn't it? To stay here in spite of that rather than finding a community whose main point you're actually interested in seems illogical, if not pretentious. That aside - is it really that surprising that people are confused by your stance?

Doesn't discussion entail having opposing views? Otherwise, it's not a discussion, it's a consensus. It's not like I'm not discussing DC. I just happen to have opposing views, which, in my opinion, actually promote discussion. 

I think it's pretentious to decide that DCW is a community only for DC fans. That type of thinking only breeds elitism and exclusiveness and one-track mindedness. I seriously hope that's not what you are suggesting, because I think DCW is a more inclusive place than that. Speaking of inclusiveness, the community at DCW is much more tight-knit than many other communities I frequent. This is why I stayed for a full 2+ years and am currently one of the oldest active members on the board. I love this community too much to leave.

Mind you, I wasn't surprised, and frankly, I understand people's confusion over my stance. What I was feeling was frustration. What does not liking DC have to do with anything? I don't think it really has anything to do with being a senior member (and donator, as you pointed out) of the community.

What did Viz do wrong? Aside from the name changes, which were mandated by their contract, their translations are pretty much on point. The only ones that really screwed up are Funimation.

I never said they did anything wrong. I just think that Viz hasn't been doing enough with DC to warrant them being protective of their copyright. It's not that they did something wrong more that they haven't been doing much.

And yes, Funimation screwed up.

(Is currently looking at latest chapter of Detective Conan)

Hahahahah

Well telling DCTP to Cease and desist certainly did a lot Viz.

• Upvote 1

I love detective conan.

It is one of the series where I don't mind paying for, both manga and anime.

But I don't like the english translations of DC.

I don't like the way they change the name of the characters.