Detective Conan World
Kjeldahl

Farewell Column

When I first joined DCW, I introduced myself to everyone in the 'Introduce Yourself' Column and made many friends. If there is a time when I leave DCW, it will be quite tedious to PM every friend I made telling them the same thing, same reason as why did I left DCW.

A Farewell Column might make it easy. :)

Not a bad idea. Maybe the mods could pin a topic for farewells in the Introduce Yourself section. Perhaps rename said sub-forum?

We have an Introduce Yourself forum so new people can introduce themselves and feel more with the community. In theory, a Farewell forum would do the opposite, wouldn't it. However, I honestly don't see a need for such a forum: most members bow out quietly without making too big of an affair. Plus, I don't see the need to emphasize farewells on the same level as welcomes. It makes farewells seem permanent (which, certainly isn't the case), and it's just odd in general. People coming is good, people leaving is not so good, and I don't see a need to publicize, or 'celebrate' it.

As the only member to my knowledge to post a public farewell on this forum as a topic, from personal experience, it just isn't necessary. The only reason I did so is because my absence would cause a bit of a ripple (I was a bit more popular back then and there were a lot more people), and I genuinely thought I was leaving. I came back in 5 months. People come and go from this forum time to time. Monsi pops in every once in a while, and Aeyra came back after a long hiatus. Farewells can't be permanent on the internet, where it's so easy to get back here even if you leave. And if farewells aren't permanent, we'll have a thing where "hello", "bye", "hello again" becomes prevalent.

Just my thoughts.

• Upvote 2

Again, from experience, upon leaving, you will likely come back. But I'll answer your question: just leave. Turn off the computer. It isn't that hard at first. But most of us veterans find it difficult to leave forever.

And the latter statement is completely nonsensical, and has no correlation with this. It sounds like something from an anime.

• Upvote 2

Farewell sections are usually drama-fests. I'm not saying you would do any of this, but in my experience some people use them to extort attention and sympathy by pretending to leave because they are lonely/left-out/bored, others just want to rant/passive-aggressively complain about something they don't like.

If you are leaving for a while, post an announcement in your profile or a comment. And like Mohorovicic said, lots of people who left for a while peek back in every now and then. Declaring a permanent farewell might convince somebody who might want to come back not to, or to create a alt account. The whole idea of a farewell section seems silly; would you tell your high school friends and teachers you probably won't see again a farewell forever speech??

Its better to leave yourself than to witness everyone around you leave.

That's a silly thing to say. That's sort of like saying you'd kill yourself first because you don't want to live through seeing your friends die. (Obviously that's an extreme example, but I'm making a point.) If some of your friends are becoming rarer to see, make some new ones. You don't have to follow them out the door if you still like Detective Conan.

• Upvote 1