Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Rukia Kurosaki

Synchronicity Chapter 6: Dissemble No More

Sera walked down the sidewalk across the street from where Shinichi had boarded the trolley, her eyes fixed on the figure in front of her. Her target walked with a short, preoccupied stride. The detective looked around cautiously before slipping a piece of paper into the man's closed umbrella and turning to walk in the other direction. "I hope they can figure this out," she sighed, turning into an alley and disappearing through the back door of a restaurant.

After she had snuck the paper to him, the man turned left and crossed the street, headed for an apartment building. He pressed the call button carefully and glanced to either side, checking to ensure that he wasn't being followed. The man walked up the stairs and entered the room he was seeking as the door was opened. He sat at a table, joined by the person he was meeting with. "So, ya tell me Kudou's gotten involved with a pretty tough case? I guess ya guys want me ta solve it?"

Subaru tugged down the scarf that had covered half of his face, replying, "Hattori Heiji, you are known as the best teen detective in Osaka... The FBI would like you to join Kudou Shinichi on his investigation... Will you do it?" Hattori scoffed, "Of course! There's no way I'd turn down a chance ta show up a detective from Tokyo, especially Kudou~" Subaru nodded. "Good." He fished the paper from his umbrella silently, sliding it across the table to the Osakan detective. He pushed up his glasses, saying, "This message is from other detective called into the case." Hattori raised an eyebrow as he flipped the paper over. "Ah- those guys..." Subaru frowned. "Is something the matter?"

"Yeah, there is," Hattori replied, "Kudou's in danger."

Shinichi sneezed, blinking. "Must be getting a cold..." The elderly man with the brochure said, "Gezundheit." Shinichi nodded. "Thank you." He smiled. 

"Or someone's talking about you," Natake muttered. She didn't look up from her book as Shinichi mumbled, "That's just superstition..." The old man nodded, adding, "There's power in superstition, though." Shinichi shrugged, watching the scenery pass. "I guess there's power in anything that is believed..." The trolley stopped fifteen minutes later at a large plaza, and Shinichi climbed down the stairs. The two passengers he'd been talking to did the same, joining him on the sidewalk.

"Why don't we take a walking tour together?" the man suggested. Shinichi grinned. "That sounds great!" It would give him a chance to scope out the area and look for clues. Natake frowned and continued reading her book. "I'll... go too." The three of them walked for about ten minutes, the man sharing facts from his brochure and Shinichi adding in bits of history he'd learned from hanging out with Hattori. 

Then the old man, whose name was Kiichiro, headed into the building they had stopped at, saying that he needed to use the restroom. The girl just stood there, reading. She looked up as Shinichi asked, "Are you going to just stand in the middle of the sidewalk?" 

Natake nodded. "I was planning on it... why?"

"You're in the way," Shinichi sighed, "People can't get through with you standing there..." She closed the book, taking a step to the right. "There..." Shinichi frowned, replying, "That's not what I meant..." Natake glanced at the entrance of the building as the old man emerged, mumbling something under her breath. "What?" She turned to him quickly. "Nothing, Kudou..." As Kiichiro rejoined them, Natake went back to reading. 'What a weird person...'

Twenty minutes later the group stopped at a shop that served Okonomiyaki. Kiichiro ordered one with mushrooms and cheese, and Shinichi asked for one with shrimp. Natake closed her book again and set it aside. "I'll eat whatever the cook wants to make..." Shinichi shook his head. "What if he puts in something you don't like, Natake-san?" She glanced at him, replying, "It's a risk I'll take if he enjoys making it... It's something I enjoy, whether I like the ingredients or not..." She frowned, her expression blank. "Anyway, you ordered shrimp... those are worse than whatever he may put in my okonomiyaki."

"Excuse me, you two. I'm afraid I have to use the restroom again..." Kiichiro walked off, smiling, and Natake watched him. When he had disappeared from sight, she grabbed Shinichi's arm, studying his clothes and frowning. "What the heck-?" She shushed him. "I'm checking you for listening devices, you idiot..." Natake dug through his pocket, taking out his phone and coin bag and putting them back. "Um... why?" Natake looked at him blankly. "Because that old guy's Bourbon, you moron."
  • Upvote 4