Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
CarpetCrawler

What Do You Guys Think About an IRC Channel?

What do you guys think about if DCW were to have its own chat channel in IRC? Hypothetically, it would replace the current chatroom on Chatango that we have right now. On IRC it will be much easier to talk, IMO.

So, what do you guys think about an IRC chatroom? How often do you use IRC? How often would you use IRC if we had the chatroom? Are you an IRC user? We're looking to know your opinions!

(I feel like an idiot) I just looked up IRC...

I don't IRC would be a problem, but I would think we should keep the chatango chat as an alternative. Y'know... people made accounts and adjusted settings just to chat here, so their effort would be wasted. If we had the two alternative chats, or perhaps syncronized them, then yeah! This wouldn't be a bad idea!

(I feel like an idiot) I just looked up IRC...

I don't IRC would be a problem, but I would think we should keep the chatango chat as an alternative. Y'know... people made accounts and adjusted settings just to chat here, so their effort would be wasted. If we had the two alternative chats, or perhaps syncronized them, then yeah! This wouldn't be a bad idea!

I don't think it's possible to synchronize an IRC chat with a chatango one.

I don't think it's possible to synchronize an IRC chat with a chatango one.

No, I mean to have two seperate pages, so people don't have to switch to the other. It'd give a good variety of choices to site viewers.

I agree f529a952.gif... this sounds great (even though I never used it -> Kaoko hardly chats). Umm.. do you mean we have a IRC in the forum section 8f337f1c.gif? Like we can post at the same time we can chat?

Also, I never used that chat in the Chatango 154218d4.gif.

->Kaoko hardly chats

since everyone seems to think this is a good idea, I'm gonna go ahead and pick an existing server to initiate a room... I think most of the big groups are on rizon, but I ended up having to register a name other than Southpaw, so I don't think it'll be that one.

I'll post more info when I choose one

I tried using "Southpaw" for a while, and thought I had it registered, but then someone took it...

I haven't tried adding anything... but I'm kinda partial to not lowering myself to that level

my current name on rizon is "KudoRan" ^_^;;;;;;

I haven't tried adding anything... but I'm kinda partial to not lowering myself to that level

I have to do it all the time no matter where I go that isn't Detective Conan-related, so I guess I'm used to it.

I think Rizon remains one of the better IRC servers out there. Efnet does not provide nickname registration, freenode is more oriented towards "projects collaboration" and DALnet does not provide a web-based client.

I also just gave it a try and the channel #detectiveconan is available on Rizon. I already registered my nickname (Maurice). :P Moreover, it does provide a customizable web-based client so I'll be sure to integrate it to the site in the near future.

quick tutorial on how to access our IRC channel:

windows users:

for mIRC http://www.mirc.com/

when starting up mIRC, there will be a "connect" dialogue box... enter your user info and tell it the server is called irc.rizon.net

after connecting, a window that says "mIRC Favorites" will pop up... type in #detectiveconan in the first field, and click "join"

for IceChat http://www.icechat.net/site/

when starting up IceChat, there's a panel to the left of the window that says "Favorite Servers"... if irc.rizon.net is not listed, click "add new" and type it in manually. It may or may not allow you to set your nickname from here (I don't remember)... if not, there's a button that says "nickname" that ought to allow you to do it

after connecting, type in /join #detectiveconan

mac users:

for colloquy http://colloquy.info/

when starting up colloquy, click on "file" - "new connection"... enter your nickname, and tell it the server is irc.rizon.net

if you choose to show details, there's a space further down where you can add a room to join. click on the "+" and type #detectiveconan

there are other clients available, including ones inside IM clients like trillian and adium... they all basically behave the same. If you find you're having problems, either post here or send a private message to someone who seems to know what they're doing :P