Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Remove twitter messages from the status updates?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Remove twitter posts from status updates?

• yes
    • approved accounts only
    • no
    • Another solution

I've noticed a large uptick in spam posts from twitter posts in status updates over the past month or so. I have also seen a few users with less than 10 posts but a metric boatload of status updates not Conan related. Also I think it is nice to see DCW member specific or Detective Conan related status updates versus a bunch of random stuff with no context. On the other hand, twitter does add lots of posts which keeps things fresh and may introduce people to cool things. Should we de-twitter the status updates? Should we have conditions (if implementable), like they have a #DetectiveConan #DC #Conan #DCW #DCTP, etc... tag or something similar? Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Agree to that.#DCW or all reminding to Detective Conan only should be updated here,from twitter.In fact,it was totally in on the discussion.

Not preferring from our self-personal tweets,right?

I kind of like the personal tweets. If every status update had to be DCW or Detective Conan-related, then there'd be very few status updates. Also, why wouldn't they make their thought into a thread or forum post instead of a status update? The status updates aren't meant to be all Detective Conan-related.

If we do that, then the 'More social-oriented' / Facebook-Twitter connect integration (the possibility of having your tweets updated through DCW) will somehow be moot. I mean, why would I want to integrate DCW to my other social networks if I need to filter everything that I say anyway.

There are upsides and downsides to this system upgrade, we all know that, but limiting what you can put as your status and what others can see as your status will kind of take away the beauty of this integration.

• Upvote 1

Maybe if it's possible to put minimum post thing (like if you want to change your name), or if you are active here, only those whose are really interested about tweeting to here could tweet to here

Sorry a bit complicated this my post

EDIT: I didn't noticed that pool

I kind of like the personal tweets. If every status update had to be DCW or Detective Conan-related, then there'd be very few status updates. Also, why wouldn't they make their thought into a thread or forum post instead of a status update? The status updates aren't meant to be all Detective Conan-related.

This a bit different than personal tweets; as most statuses aren't Conan related anyway. The difference is that many statuses are directly posted with the DCW community in mind; these on average have more replies (an indicator of interest) than other sorts of status updates.

With the ones from twitter, I see a lot of statuses with no context and are thus incomprehensible, or are ads, or are masses of #this #that #theotherthing #somemorestuff #stopnowplease. While of there are interesting individual tweets, on average they have lower overall quality in terms of "is this something I care about because it is related to people at DCW, Conan, or anything interesting in general". I can't filter out the twitter tweets either in order to bring up the signal to noise ratio.

In terms of what to do I see a few options:

1) Having the option to ignore statuses originating from twitter (may be implementable)

2) Only allowing users to link their twitter to the statuses after some condition. It could be after a certain number of posts, or by asking to be whitelisted in a particular thread.

3) Enforce specific tag requirements such as #Conan #DCW #DC, etc... (hard to implement)

I'll collect a few days statuses here to illustrate the problem.

twitter.png mangalover (7 posts): Hi :) @tataww

twitter.png imakil (0 posts): anjir kekayaannya triliunan gini!!! sialan

ipb.png BUNNY DETECTIVE (31 posts): hahah i love snow it gets to make you stay home from school =p,...but then you got to make it up later -___- (6 comments)

ipb.png keiyakusha (9 posts): i think i catch a flu -_- (2 comments)

ipb.png Whispers (3,560 posts): 100 guests!!!!!!!! OMG! and only like 12 members! ( including anonymouses <_< )

twitter.png Najma Shinichi-niichan (4 posts): kalau gini, cara paling efektif, tutup pintu, ngerjain tugas

twitter.png mangalover (7 posts): Plagiat sih bukan bahkan gak niru sama sekali

ipb.png Meitantei Kaitou Kid (10,825 posts): *Rereads comments in my profile from the beginning* Now the DCW's past is haunting me :( (10 comments)

ipb.png RoMa (9 posts): exams r gonna start soon O.O omg i have to study hard now =D

twitter.png Parkur (1,566 posts): Also my eyes are indeed feeling better, it just freaked me out a bit

facebook.png Ciel Phantomhive XiaoLang (23 posts) udah dpt doujinshi SxS, tp ga bisa di buka file'y?!!! GRRRRRRR padahal kaya'y keren tuh! huweeeeee!!!! *nangis darah*

twitter.png imakil (0 posts): congrats jerk!! fuck you

ipb.png Awagode (48 posts): Studying history! Very bussy at the moment, hope my exams are going to finish really soon!

ipb.png Kiel - Number 1 Kiyokian (1,624 posts): I HAVE GIANT POCKY!!!!!!! <3 yeah, ok, I feel better after saying that <3 xD (2 comments)

ipb.png mabel (2,878 posts): "youtube link here* ......... Thats sad. D': (5 comments)

ipb.png BUNNY DETECTIVE (31 posts): I cant wait till Valentines day (>//~//<) ,or white day (^//_//^)<3 (7 comments)

twitter.png CarpetCrawler (1,259 posts): This is for all the Hakuba fans (@ickaimp and @gabapple, I'm looking at you): http://t.co/QCvpKj5h (1 comment)

twitter.png Parkur (1,566 posts): Reading pony fics, i regret nothing (2 comments)

twitter.png angelranchan (1,281 posts): Report again...good luck to meh~

ipb.png Metantei Yui (0 posts): Did Kyoko tell u were twins

twitter.png CarpetCrawler (1,259 posts): #OutOfContextTweetTheater RT @ParkurDC: Hopefully these people get off before i do

twitter.png Parkur (1,566 posts): what the fuck is this RT @CarpetCrawlerDC: @ParkurDC http://t.co/MMyHEt5k

twitter.png angelranchan (1,285 posts) Yesterday, I met my crush. Today, I met someone who have crush on me. Tomorrow, I'll meet EDOGAWA CRASH! >:D

twitter.png imakil (0 posts): baru tidur gue teh jam3! aaaaazzz

ipb.png Koizumi Akako (5,905 posts): I am so screwed for midterms.

ipb.png CoolKid94 (86 posts): Sometimes I feel that if I were to suddenly disappear, few would actually care.

ipb.png Detective Kudo (1,513 posts): dang all of these internal assessments and papers are catching up to me.

ipb.png Annebellification (1 post): Gonna hit the sack :)

Twitter updates on DCW after a certain amount of hours. Let's say that the last tweet someone posted was at 12:02 PM, and the next time DCW's feed updates is at 1 PM (it updates every few hours). It's going to paste the tweet that was posted at 12:02 PM automatically, no matter what context the tweet was in. There's no way one can just control what kind of tweets are sent to DCW.

Of the statuses you posted, I only seemed to find six that weren't really related to anything, and a few were because they were in a foreign language, hence they really shouldn't even count in my total anyway.

#1 will lead to barely any statuses being posted at all. #2 is the only one I see as plausible, and only in a certain number of posts sense. #3 I just don't see happening at all.

I think you're taking this a little too seriously. Maurice added the Twitter feed option to make the place more personable. Not to create lots of thought-provoking discussion or anything. And even if the status is related to DCW, sometimes it's honestly not as interesting as other statuses. If we have to make a decision, I say go with option #2, but only in a "members have to make a certain number of posts" sense, not in a whitelist sense, since I think that'll probably be hard to maintain properly. That's a good way to make it so that posters who joined up but have never posted can't have their Twitter feed spamming up the place. But then the only problem is, how many members are going to remember to turn the thing on once they've reached that number of posts?

#1 will lead to barely any statuses being posted at all. #2 is the only one I see as plausible, and only in a certain number of posts sense. #3 I just don't see happening at all.

The idea is that #1 would be personally implementable, that is I could set in my profile whether I wanted to ignore twitter statuses. #2 might work best if it was kicked in automatically after say, 10-15 posts.
I think you're taking this a little too seriously.
I care about the issue so far as I have an aesthetic dislike for spam and incomprehensible stuff. I don't use the status system all that often, and I rarely reply to other people's comments, but I think people besides me have indicated they care about it.

The other side of the issue is that recently I have been deleting about 1 status a day for being spam or otherwise problematic. (Today was a fuck you, yesterday was weight loss, the day before that was a how to see if you have been unfollowed spam and another weight loss...) That's not that bad, but there was no problem before and it could get worse. The overwhelming source of stuff I have to delete is tweets from users with little community involvement (less than a dozen posts. Users with community status (CC, Parkur, etc.) are virtually never the problem.) That's why I think a good solution is to limit tweets to established users and/or have unestablished users request in if they want to tweet before that.

Since you have expressed concern about decreasing the number of statuses, I think the effect would be minimal. Half of the statuses already are personally posted, and a good chunk of the people twittering (half of the twitter ones) are proactive well-established users. At absolute worst I would expect maybe a loss of a quarter of the status updates.

Is there a way to make the hashtag be the way it's picked up on their account? For instance, my FB will pick up my Twitter post if I put #facebook (or #fb, I haven't used it in a while) at the end.

Is there a way/desire to somehow incorporate Tumblr? Maybe the beginning of posts or something? (Twitter does this, too) I don't know if this has ever been discussed or would even be possible, but there's a lot of active fans over there...

I've flagged at least 2 user accounts as spam in the past two weeks in order to stop their twitter updates from showing, but I am running into a serious problem with user Scar Akai who is a long time member here and has had his twitter hacked. The hacked twitter has been sending weightloss spams, and now sends them up to several times a day. I have sent him a few messages telling him to delink his twitter because I can't delink it myself with mod-powers. If he doesn't act, I'm going to be forced to flag a perfectly legit old user as a spam account to make it stop. If anyone can get in contact with him, great, because I have now sent him two emails.

I'm posting this here because I think this sort of thing is likely to become more common; one of the other users I flagged was hacked as well. I really think DCW needs to rethink its twitter policy in the status updates.

• Upvote 1

I've flagged at least 2 user accounts as spam in the past two weeks in order to stop their twitter updates from showing, but I am running into a serious problem with user Scar Akai who is a long time member here and has had his twitter hacked. The hacked twitter has been sending weightloss spams, and now sends them up to several times a day. I have sent him a few messages telling him to delink his twitter because I can't delink it myself with mod-powers. If he doesn't act, I'm going to be forced to flag a perfectly legit old user as a spam account to make it stop. If anyone can get in contact with him, great, because I have now sent him two emails.

I'm posting this here because I think this sort of thing is likely to become more common; one of the other users I flagged was hacked as well. I really think DCW needs to rethink its twitter policy in the status updates.

Give Scar Akai time. He's busy with his studies that he only goes online once in a blue moon. I've just told him about it yesterday on his Facebook account.