Detective Conan World
DCWolf

Would DB Badges Still Exist

Not so important topic but I guess this wasn't discussed before so here it is. I was thinking mobile phones were not common when DC started so the purpose of DB Badges was having a way of communication. Nowadays, even kids have mobile phones. As for tracking, I believe making a device which is capable of tracking phones by providing phone numbers within a few km range is possible.

So what do you think, if DC started today, would they still design badges or would they simply use phones instead?

I think they would design hi-tech wireless transmission earpiece for communication if not badges.

Phones are too bulky and easily detectable. :3

Maybe a cute communication hairband for ayumi~ a watch for mitsu and headband for genta, and Conan and his specs~ :V

But the badge is symbolic. So I believe it will still be a badge.

Could be but every invention is created to satisfy a need. And they have to be something advanced or it wouldn't be an important gadget. Conan's items were generally impossible to come by in real life so that's what made them special in a way. Phones are bulky but people already carry them so no matter how tiny this new devices will be, they are still extra items to carry. So I think Gosho might have never felt the need for a wireless communication device. Or perhaps he could have just enhanced their phones with addons or apps. It's just that walkie talkie badges nowadays seem really unnecessary to me. Of course badges provide free communication compared to phones but I really doubt just because of money issues he would have felt the need to create some kind of communication devices for them. I also believe the idea of making them in the shape of badges came after he decided to implement a comm device for DB.

Actually, mobile phones were already existing then~ It just isn't that popular.

I suppose the reason that he wanted a badge for communication was not because there aren't any mobile phones at that time. Agasa is a 'genius' scientist, so it isn't impossible for him to invent phones for the kids. What I feel, is that it would be suspicious for them to carry phones around, that is why Agasa made them carry a badge which is small and portable, at no cost, and not suspicious.

Of course if it was now, Agasa would probably give them something like a wireless bluetooth communicator like that earring phone of Ran's. :V Or perhaps a watch that does the exact same thing as the badge~ Who knows? :rolleyes:

Actually, mobile phones were already existing then~ It just isn't that popular.

I suppose the reason that he wanted a badge for communication was not because there aren't any mobile phones at that time. Agasa is a 'genius' scientist, so it isn't impossible for him to invent phones for the kids. What I feel, is that it would be suspicious for them to carry phones around, that is why Agasa made them carry a badge which is small and portable, at no cost, and not suspicious.

Of course if it was now, Agasa would probably give them something like a wireless bluetooth communicator like that earring phone of Ran's. :V Or perhaps a watch that does the exact same thing as the badge~ Who knows? :rolleyes:

Gosho moves with technology. At the time kids didn't have cell phones unless they were rich. You could make a cell phone, yes, but that means nothing if only Kudo can pay for the air time. That said, I think Gosho made his choice for several reasons. First off the badge is inconspicuous, secondly at the time a kid with a phone looked really off, third monetary issues, fourth would be the fact that the badge is as much of a status thing than a communications device. Gosho even rolled with it adding in tracking to it. Something which phones don't have unless they are broadcasting or have emergency location enabled which itself needs a different tracking method, and not all phones have.

In my opinion, if they were dispensable, Gosho would have gotten rid of them already in lieu of cell phones. The fact that he didn't means that he probably would have kept them or something similar even if he had started the series in 2004 rather than in 1994. I mean he has dispensed with a few inventions because they don't make sense anymore, why not the badges too? Only the movies seem to keep everything...

Hm... Possibly. Yeah, probably.

During a few cases when one of the DB was kidnapped, they used the badges. The criminal wouldn't think they had something like that to contact somebody. They would obviously take away a cellphone.

Also, Conan can track them using the glasses. Same with Haibara tracking Conan when he's in danger.

Gosho moves with technology. At the time kids didn't have cell phones unless they were rich. You could make a cell phone, yes, but that means nothing if only Kudo can pay for the air time. That said, I think Gosho made his choice for several reasons. First off the badge is inconspicuous, secondly at the time a kid with a phone looked really off, third monetary issues, fourth would be the fact that the badge is as much of a status thing than a communications device. Gosho even rolled with it adding in tracking to it. Something which phones don't have unless they are broadcasting or have emergency location enabled which itself needs a different tracking method, and not all phones have.

In my opinion, if they were dispensable, Gosho would have gotten rid of them already in lieu of cell phones. The fact that he didn't means that he probably would have kept them or something similar even if he had started the series in 2004 rather than in 1994. I mean he has dispensed with a few inventions because they don't make sense anymore, why not the badges too? Only the movies seem to keep everything...

Exactly~ :)

Well, considering the fact that Gosho has pretty much replaced all ways of communication Conan has with up-to-date technology and they STILL have the badges I say they'd still exist! XD

They need the badges for tracking purposes, right?

Yeah but you can also put a tracker in a cellphone....

WAIT! They have both badges AND cellphones! :o

Yeah but you can also put a tracker in a cellphone....

Not necessarily. Agasa isn't pretty willing to make trackers to place in a cellphone, and tracking down individual cellphones are pretty difficult, with at least a mile error radius.

Not necessarily. Agasa isn't pretty willing to make trackers to place in a cellphone, and tracking down individual cellphones are pretty difficult, with at least a mile error radius.

Not true. If the GPS is activated, its extremely easy. If not, the phone needs to be actively broadcasting, at which point triangulation takes less than a minute and is extremely accurate. It requires multiple cell towers, but is very possible to track down the cell.

I wonder how the badges work.... Do the DBs charge them or does it have a battery in it?

Not sure how, but maybe it works on 2 way power. It might have a battery in it or a solar cell. (Just like Conan's turbo engine skateboard.)