Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
FlamingFirewire

Case Closed (English Version of Manga/Anime)

Recently joined this website not too long ago and thought that I would start I new topic pertaining to the english versions of both the manga and the anime.

These are the following reasons for this topic:

1. To discuss the current situations of both the manga and the anime
  2. Talk about the english voice actors (which ones are still alive/still dubbing)
  3. Whether you think they will continue to translate the manga now that the anime is in limbo
  4. Stance on the quality of the dub versus the original japanese
  5. To stimulate conversation on whether or not you have bought any of the Case Closed DVD's (seasons or otherwise)
  6. Probability of them continuing the series WITH the same voice actors
  7. Possible continuation of the movies

I would really appreciate it if anyone hears any DEFINITIVE news on the English dub that they post it here with a link to where they got the information. (I guess speculation is also welcome XD)

Also, if anyone would like to post what they have bought of the series (ie, I own all 5 Seasons (Viridian Collection) on DVD + Movies 1-6 + Vol_ to Vol_) that would be encouraged.

The English dubbed is so weird & corny, I hate it. Conan's voice sounded like a girl. I love the original JAPANESE.

it's funny you should say that, because he is voiced by a girl... in English AND Japanese...

Well, the Japanese is less obvious in a way...

have you seen the TWO-MIX case? it's pretty early on in the series, and it makes it pretty obvious that Takayama-san doesn't really change her voice at all to play Conan :P

have you seen the TWO-MIX case? it's pretty early on in the series, and it makes it pretty obvious that Takayama-san doesn't really change her voice at all to play Conan :P

I have. She doesn't. But Conan's Japanese voice...fits, if you get my drift.

Actually Funimation said the Case Closed movies sold very well. So I think the chance of Funi dubbing more Conan movies = 50%

Oh, fine.

Chance of more English Conan movies = 2%.tongue.gif

A series will likely not have movies if the series itself is down...for indefinite or less.

Also, the name changes made were at the request of the Japanese producers who wanted to make the series more accessible to American audiences. If the series does continue up to that part, Ai's name will likely be changed as well.

Yeah, well Conan gets to keep his name. The name changes are a shame, but Funimation has no control over them. They were forced on them by TMS.

Its been one of my favorites for years, and I'm finally able to see it.

As for the name changes, I really don't mind them. The only problem is that many of the characters' original names are jokes/puns on mystery writers/characters (Conan Edogawa being the best example).

Also, the name changes made were at the request of the Japanese producers who wanted to make the series more accessible to American audiences. If the series does continue up to that part, Ai's name will likely be changed as well.

Yeah, well Conan gets to keep his name. The name changes are a shame, but Funimation has no control over them. They were forced on them by TMS.

Its been one of my favorites for years, and I'm finally able to see it.

As for the name changes, I really don't mind them. The only problem is that many of the characters' original names are jokes/puns on mystery writers/characters (Conan Edogawa being the best example).

I also think that some name changes deviate too considerably from their original names, while some characters' name changes are "incomplete." For example, Matsumoto & Sato's first names were not Anglicized, while characters like Takagi, Nakamori, Yokomizo, Yamamura, etc. have names that hardly resemble their original Japanese names.

I also think that some name changes deviate too considerably from their original names, while some characters' name changes are "incomplete." For example, Matsumoto & Sato's first names were not Anglicized, while characters like Takagi, Nakamori, Yokomizo, Yamamura, etc. have names that hardly resemble their original Japanese names.

When the name of a character from a show is slightly tweaked when the show is dubbed or otherwise translated into a foreign language because the original name would sound obscene.

Examples:

In the Arabic version of Detective Conan, Eri Kisaki got her name changed to Mary, as her original name bears some similarity with "Iri", "my ass" in some dialects.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CleanDubName

I didn't bother to look up the translated meanings of Sato and the others name, Plus, what American names Sounds Like their Japanese ones?.... Plus the point was to make it more American. Plus when other countries translated Detective Conan, They changed names too(except Conan's name I guess), to fit their Country's common names.

Yeah, i think it's unavoidable to change original names when dubbed or subbed. For example, Ran would sound weird to English speaker (Ran = Run in past tense). It's lucky that my country 's version keep all the original names, but after all, character's names are not big deal, as long as the quality is the same as Japanese version.

It's funny because Conan is an English name so that why they kept it. But the arabic is better that the English Dub by 90891839012270270270720707.31293912979129731% times (I was bored)