Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Glass Heart

Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac)

Saint Seiya is an anime series derived from the shonen manga by japanese author Masami Kurumada composed of 114 episodes of the original series, 31 OVAs of the Hades chapter (the adaptation of the last part of the manga), 5 animated movies and 13 OVAs of the spin-off prequel Lost Canvas.

It is composed primarily of four story-arcs: The Sanctuary, Asgard (anime-only), Poseidon and Hades, to which we can add the prequel Lost Canvas.

The Story

When the forces of evil awake, the goddess Athena returns on Earth. By her side stand her holy knights, the Saints of hope. With their fists, they tear up the sky up and the earth shakens within their foots.

Some years ago, billionaire Mitsumasa Kido send 100 orphans children to follow a training with the mission to become a Bronze Saint. Only ten of them have as far succeeded.

Pegasus Seiya. Dragon Shiryu. Andromeda Shun. Cygnus Hyoga. Phoenix Ikki. The five of them are blessed by the power of their sacred cloths and they have all swear to protect Athena with their own lives.

There are three class of Saints: Gold, Silver and Bronze. The Bronze Saints are the weaker.

When the five Bronze Saints discover that the reincarnation of Athena is none other than Saori Kido, the adoptive daughter of Mitsumasa Kido and the girl they grew to hate during their childhood because she was overly physically abusive toward them, they refuse to believe that such a mean girl could be the reincarnation of the goddess of hope.

But they still protect her against the murder attempts by the Silver Knights. The Grand Pope, master of all Saints and holy representant of Athena on Earth, turns out to be a corrupted and tormented soul who tried to murder Athena as a baby years ago and failed. Now that he has discovered where Athena was hidding during all these years, he tries to finish the job.

On her part, Athena wants to return to the Sanctuary, her rightful domain in Greece, to confront and defeat the traitor. According to the prophecy, her Bronze Saints must fight by her side to lead her to the path of victory, confronting their superiors, the Gold Saints, in the process.

But the first people to whom Saori must prove that she is truly the reincarnation of the goddess of hope are her own knights. Will Saori be able to gain their trust and their friendship ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQGhN9OjG0o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_86Zsd3gM

There are also five movies: Evil Goddess Eris, The Heated Battle of the Gods, Legend of Crimson Youth, Warriors of the Final Holy Battle and Tenkai Hen Joso Overture.

That's one great anime from my childhood! I loved it when I was a little boy lol. I still like it for sure (I actually watched it in French at the time).

I re-watched the entire series a while ago. Good memories. :)

Glad to see another fan of this classic!

P.S: The 3D trailer is super short... D:

That's one great anime from my childhood! I loved it when I was a little boy lol. I still like it for sure (I actually watched it in French at the time).

I re-watched the entire series a while ago. Good memories. :)

Glad to see another fan of this classic!

P.S: The 3D trailer is super short... D:

Yes, great series ! The battle of the Sanctuary was so epic, one of my favorite anime moments !

I rediscovered the series much later, with the boxes with the japanese dub and the uncensored cuts of the episodes, and with the amazing Hades Sanctuary OVAs which came around the same time in my country, and it was like rediscovering a part of my childhood and still loving it.

For the trailer, they are only presenting the CGI version of the Pegasus knight, but we still don't know if it's Seiya or Tenma (the Pegasus knight of the 18th century in both the spin-off Lost Canvas and Next Dimension which is both the prequel and the sequel of the original manga).

But I hope that the new movie will be a new adaptation of the Sanctuary chapter. The battles would be amazing !

PS: If you have watched the french version of the anime, you must have heard the french opening theme. Awful, isn't it ? lol !

By the way, maybe you already know it, there was a project of a fan-video game (unfortunately incomplete) and the result was amazing to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RblZScv2NIs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQk--EvZCOc&feature=related

The trailer of a Pachinko Saint Seiya. It's just wonderful ! The anime seems to revive in front of my very eyes, with the wonderful chara-design of Shingo Araki and the astonishing rythme of the battles.

The best Saint Seiya anime-material I have seen since Hades Sanctuary (with the exception of the amazing Lost Canvas adaptation of TMS) !

"Burn ! Burn my Cosmos ! PEGASUS RYUSEIKEN !"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gUe4DVZ_uc

Yeah ! Saint Seiya topic !

Cygnus is my favourite !

Hades is awesome ! i just don't know why funimation won't remaster it and use new japanese seiyuu for this T.T Why funimation why won't you buy the rights of Saint Seiya !

Cygnus is my favourite !

My favourites are Dragon Shiryu and Phoenix Ikki, but Cygnus Hyoga is also cool.

Hades is awesome !

Yes ! Hades Sanctuary is the best part of the series. Asgard was also great.

i just don't know why funimation won't remaster it and use new japanese seiyuu for this T.T Why funimation why won't you buy the rights of Saint Seiya !

Probably because it didn't have success in America. Well, I think I can understand why it didn't work: Saint Seiya isn't Power Rangers and the american version was a disaster (bad opening, blue blood, stupid dialogues, etc...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxrsEAIMT4

In France, we have the whole series, Hades Sanctuary and the first four movies in VO/VF on DVD, but I don't know why they stopped here. They never released (or even dubbed) Hades Inferno, Hades Elysion and the fifth movie. Strangely, they recently dubbed and broadcasted the 13 first episodes of Lost Canvas which are much more recent.

I know and, if I remember well, everything has been dubbed and released in DVD in the spanish-speaking countries.

It's just too bad the people who did the american version didn't understand the series (well, the french version wasn't really good either actually). It could have been well-known in America too if the adaptation was better.

The preview of Saint Seiya Omega, a sequel to the original TV series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-etJHoU0aQ

Omega takes place 25 years in the future era. Seiya is now the Sagitarrius Gold Saint and a new generation of bronze saints has appeared.

Athena (Saori Kido) has been kidnapped by the god of war Mars, who was previously defeated by Seiya years ago. To rescue Athena and to bring peace back to the world, Koga, a boy raised by Seiya and Saori and the new Pegasus Saint, must lead the new generation of bronze saint to the war against Mars.

They're back ! :grin: Saint Seiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

Awesome !

But Saint Seiya manga is hard to find ...

I'm actually reacquiring this series with the french deluxe edition (I had the classic edition before).

They are also planning to release the OVAs Hades Inferno and Hades Elysion in my country soon (they also recently released the first season of Lost Canvas). I'm waiting for this.