Detective Conan World
ALAKTORN

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 867-868 (Mischievous Child)

THIS THREAD is used to discuss about SPOILERS. In other words, if you only read the English version and wish to wait for the official release instead of getting spoiled, this is NOT the right place for you!

RULES OF THE SPOILER-ONLY DISCUSSION THREAD:

1. Any kind of spoiler involving the case (pictures, texts, information, full scans...) of any language that is released before the actual English version must be posted HERE. The English translations of the spoilers must also be posted here. Please DO NOT share them at the thread made for English-files readers only, in ANY form (NOT even in spoiler boxes).

2. Any kind of discussion involving the spoilers must be posted HERE. Please DO NOT reveal, give hints or talk about any information or event (that has not yet happened in the English releases) at the thread made for English-files readers only, in ANY form (NOT even in spoiler boxes).

3. Despite being a Spoiler-only thread, EVERY spoiler and discussion involving events that has not yet happened in the English releases STILL has to be put inside Spoiler boxes. When the mentioned file is officially released in English, this is not necessary anymore.

4. NO DIRECT LINK to Original Japanese scans (RAWs) or to ANY English manga scan because we don't want to have any problem with lawyers. (Japanese spoiler pictures are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very very far away from a full scan, like the ones we usually have).

Q&A:

1. Why is this whole thing necessary?

A: Please click here.

2. Why do I still have to use Spoiler boxes here?

A: In case some member (who only follows the English files) get confused, misclick, or just simply get in the wrong thread... etc., this rule is made NOT to let spoilers get revealed to them. And since this is quite complicated, confusions are unavoidable, especially for new members.

3. How do I use Spoiler boxes anyway?

A: Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write    [/spoiler]
Or more manually:

Step 1: Click the "Special BBCode" icon at the upper-left side of the edit toolbar.

BBCode_zpsac60c013.jpg

Step 2: In BBCode, select "Spoiler".

Spoiler_zpsc5764e29.jpg

Step 3: Enter the text that you want to put inside Spoiler boxes, then click OK.

Text_zps4958fb14.jpg

4. If the spoiler is not obvious enough to viewers (e.g. one must click a link in order to see it), do I have to use Spoiler boxes?

A: No, using link addresses is also a hiding method. Again the purpose of this is just to protect the spoilers and info. from being viewed by members who do not want to see them (but get in here by accident). However, you should STATE CLEARLY that it's a spoiler, just to make sure.

5. Can I join the discussion in the other thread as well?

A: Of course you can. HOWEVER, as mentioned in the rules above, you MUST NOT reveal, give hints or talk about ANYTHING that spoils.

6. Who are you anyway? Why do we have to follow YOUR rules?

A: Not mine. Chek suggested that it should be this way. Also, the person who create the threads must write the rules clearly on the very first post from now on, whether they want it or not; this applies to every member (not only me).

ANYWAY, everyone should read this whole post carefully before posting or viewing anything. If you are mistaken for not paying attention to it, the creator of the thread, the moderators and every other forum members will NOT take any responsibility.

is it fine if I created this? the raw is out, I’ll read it soon

if anyone wants a translation of a significant part:

when Conan finds Masuko-san: first panel just “Masuko-san?!” then “I’m glad” “He still has a pulse” “Huh? A chair on the bed?” “Lighting equipment with the cover out of place…” “A new flourescent light set against the wall and…” “The one in pieces on the floor…” “And the blood stain on the bed’s side table…” “Accident…” “No, that’s wrong…” “This is…” end of page

I’ll continue reading now and eventually edit this post if I think I should report something of importance…

police comes in next page: “An accident, huh…” “Standing on top of the chair on the bed while trying to replace the flourescent light…” “Losing balance, falling on the side table…” “I do it sometimes too, if you’re not stable it’s dangerous…” well usual police incompetency, not that interesting I guess

Conan starts to explain why it’s an attempted murder: “The chair is on top of the futon!” (I think here futon means the blanket) “Don’t you think you’d take off the futon if you were to put a chair on top of the bed? It would be too loose…” “And look, Masuko-san has both his slippers on!” “Wouldn’t you remove your slippers if you were to go on top of the bed and chair?” “T-That’s true…” “And also…” then I don’t understand fully but “I do think the broken pieces are from the old fluorescent light he tried to replace but…” “The edge has not darkened” “It’s as if it’s new…” “…Meaning…” next page “The someone who thrusted Masuko-san and wounded him in this bedroom…” oh god translating is tiring I don’t feel like it anymore

looks like the intercom registered with sound 3 people coming in or something; the guy who said he heard a sound was probably truthful because I think he mentions his wife and daughter hearing it too, and thanks to that hint Conan pinpoints the correct room in which Masuko-san is

so I jumped the gun when I thought that guy was the culprit, looks like we’ll have 3 suspects

the older woman was there to listen to some old records or something because she’s a collector (she head headphones on so she didn’t hear any ringings), and she hates wastes, shouting at Mitsuhiko for not turning off the lights after exiting the bathroom

the younger woman says she just went to talk at the door (but he didn’t answer) and never entered the apartment (edit she might’ve meant he didn’t answer the intercom and she didn’t enter the building); she was fired by Masuko from his company and wanted to tell him goodbye or something, sounds weird; also she acts towards Taii as if they never met before (she loves cats)

the man says that he got to the door, but Masuko never responded so he went away, he says he entered the building because someone opened without saying a word after he ringed; he went there to get ideas about writing a novel or something? he hates cats and says “even this morning the neighborhood’s cat scratched me”

Conan already figured it out, so I guess it’ll end next chapter

there were also wrapping paper, a cat’s box and stuff in the living room and Conan said that Masuko wanted to give Taii away as a gift to someone

• Upvote 1

so many cat facts, I disagree with a few of them though, owning 2 cats myself. I didn’t quite understand why the guy felt the need to hurt the victim just because he wanted to give him the cat when the guy asked him for money (victim didn’t actually know Tai’s value, just thought it brought good luck)

Posting non-spoiler case deductions here.

The first suspect Tsuyuguchi Furuyo freaking out over the light is suspicious. It was an over-reaction. A LP is about the same size and shape as the guy's fluorescent lights. She could have hidden LPs that she desired in a box or by the box of spare lightbulbs (stored in the bathroom?). (Or crazy solution she hid them above or in the ceiling light?) She freaks out at Mitsuhiko because if the light burns out then someone retrieving a spare would find the LPs she hid. I suppose she wouldn’t want to outright take the LPs because if someone investigated the suicide and noticed they were missing, she would be the first suspect because of her hobby and appointment that day. Maybe she thought she could retrieve them later?

Also listening to records with headphones is a bit unusual.

How Furuyo gets along with cats is unclear. She basically shoos away Taii, which is pretty reasonable for someone who has been around cats but doesn’t want to be bothered.

If she was lying about the chain of events, then Masuko dealt with Mari at the door and afterwards Furuyo attacked Masuko. Furuyo then would have taken advantage of Rinpei’s arrival to create another suspect.

The second suspect Asao Mari carries Taii like a baby, and in doing so annoys him so that he swishes his tail (not what Ayumi says, wagging = annoyed in cats). She clearly knows nothing about cats. She likes cats though, so if one of the three suspects was to be the recipient of the cat, it could be her. That might explain why she was dealt with at the door. Masuko would not want Mari to see the wrapping paper + cat case.

She claimed that the victim was already seeing someone at the time she came. "Seemed" implies Masuko didn’t tell her, but instead she picked up cues indicating there was someone inside already. Those cues could be shoes, or music. If she was lying, that means there wasn’t another guest at the apartment, and she must have been completely let in. That would mean she let in Rinpei without a word and then didn’t answer him to create another suspect.

Masuko not responding to Urushiya Rinpei's ringing is suspicious. I doubt Masuko would have ignored him like that, even if he was busy with another guest. Either Rinpei is lying or the victim had already been pushed over by that point and couldn't answer. Being persistent with the doorbell makes sense because Rinpei thought Masuko let him in to the complex. It wouldn’t make much sense to have the flat owner let him in, but then go somewhere without seeing him.

If Rinpei was lying about his story, that means Masuko let him in, and he wouldn’t have had to push the doorbell multiple times. The problem is why he chose to lie as he did. He is apparently a regular at coming over, so he would know the apartment's tech well. If he wanted to trick the police into thinking someone else did the crime then it would make sense to come up with a story that implies the killer buzzed him in. Coming over unannounced though means Rinpei probably didn’t know Masuko’s schedule and if there would be anyone else he could blame the crime on.

Urushiya Rinpei appears to be lying about hating cats. He picks up the bottle cap first when Genta spills in front of the cat. That is the item the cat would be attracted to most (cats like to bat bottle caps apparently), so he knows a bit about their preferences. He also got scratched on the hand, which wouldn’t have happened if didn’t bend down to the stray cat.

In conclusion none of the victim’s testimony about what they were doing absolutely contradicts what the others said happened.

Tape, scissors and wrapping paper usually covers the minimum, but Conan thinks there is something else missing from the wrapping scene. The missing item might have been the old container the previous item came in, because it would have been thrown out or discarded. Ribbon is another option. Also some people do use rulers to measure packages.

Ribbon is a key item because it could be used to lock the door from the outside in two steps, and might be the item that Conan would have expected to be there. First use ribbon to get the U-bar on, and retrieve it. Then open the door to verify the u-bar, reach in, loop the ribbon around the knob lock, shut the door, and pull the ribbon in the right way to turn the knob and lock the door.

The method for getting the u-bar on is described in this diagram.

82is.jpg

The turning knob lock on my door is very similar to the victim’s in this case, and I could lock it (turn it from vertically oriented to horizontally oriented) from the outside with either a bit of tape (easy, first try, fast, but might leave a little sticky residue), or with a bit of ribbon (harder, needed several tries but the vic has a lock that is better shaped for the purpose than mine. No residue if using unfrayed ribbon) To lock the knob lock with ribbon, you make a bend in the ribbon, loop it over the vertically oriented knob through the small gap in the door using your fingers, hold it taut so there is good friction, and pull the correct end so the knob turns properly. If it doesn’t work the first time, you open the door and try again. Conan could get his foot and hand in the gap so it is certainly big enough for an adult to reach in. The tape version works very similarly to the u-bar trick in the Night Baron murder case, only you put it on the knob lock. http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Night_Baron_Murder_Case

Conan pulled his wool string through earlier as proof of concept.

Tai would be expected to play with the long ribbon as it is being retrieved from locking the u-bar. Some ribbon threads might be left in Tai’s claws, or the ribbon could be stained with blood from the vic, transferred from the cat’s paws.

I have been informed by someone who read spoilers that part of my locking the door solution is not what is shown in the solution. I’m not really sure how I can fix it, since I verified it works and quickly at that. Maybe Tai can be used to pull dangling ribbons as part of the trick. Dunno.

• Upvote 2

basic case but loved the satoXtakagi moments and fluff haha and when takagi said to sato u know the bed wasn't the thing soft and warm *meaning that it wasn't the bed but sato xD* and the detectives kids overhearing but don't understand except for haibara who's giving him u better stop fooling look haha loved it