Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
ALAKTORN

Romanization

the wiki’s a mess with names, Mōri Kogorō becomes Mouri Kogoro, which is both wrong and inconsistent, why Mouri but then Kogoro instead of Kogorou? why Mouri and not Mori? so I’ve been wondering… shouldn’t all these be fixed? shouldn’t we start using macrons outside of just the InfoBox (which is the only place with correct names as of now)?

and it’s not just macrons, Shin’ichi’s name is always spelt Shinichi instead of Shin’ichi (again, the InfoBox is the only place with the correct romanization)

what do you think? I feel like Shinichi could stay like that if people don’t like the correct romanization, but I see no point in not using macrons; they give both a better idea of the pronounciation and are “more” correct than whatever else people try to use because they can’t type them

• Upvote 1

Macrons are annoying to type -- there is no way anyone who edits the wiki would ever use them other than the most dedicated pedantic users. Because most people editing tend to spell the names however they are used to rather than how they should be (I forget constantly to use English order, type Shuuichi with one "u", and spell Tohru as Tooru), the wiki tends to use the most common romanizations for convenience, which results in a predicable mess, but a mess most English speaking fans are familiar with and can search for. Also, we have no automated bots to change the hundreds, if not thousands, of prexisting uses.

Macrons are annoying to type -- there is no way anyone who edits the wiki would ever use them other than the most dedicated pedantic users. Because most people editing tend to spell the names however they are used to rather than how they should be (I forget constantly to use English order, type Shuuichi with one "u", and spell Tohru as Tooru), the wiki tends to use the most common romanizations for convenience, which results in a predicable mess, but a mess most English speaking fans are familiar with and can search for. Also, we have no automated bots to change the hundreds, if not thousands, of prexisting uses.

I'd like to just add to this that doing so would also create more confusion as DCTP never used such spelling methods. And most users spell as the DCTP translators do or as they felt most comfortable reading in subs that they have seen. Very few sub groups use that method because of annoyance, even barring DCTP.

Also, it isn't wrong, it's a different method of romanization. I learned both in my Japanese class and was told to avoid them if possible in lieu of kana and kanji. As that is the proper way of spelling, all others (romaji) is wrong. Romaji is in and of itself an improper method of spelling in Japanese which makes it inconsistent as there is less rules to a proper cohesive method.

well that’s sad to hear, I find it troublesome not being able to tell how to read things, and seeing how this wiki is all “technological” I thought it might’ve been possible to replace a term with another :/

well that’s sad to hear, I find it troublesome not being able to tell how to read things, and seeing how this wiki is all “technological” I thought it might’ve been possible to replace a term with another :/

It's possible, but as said previously it would be more work than anyone could ever commit unless we got a bot writer onboard (no one has ever shown interest), and probably not worth it as no one would ever use them when editing therefore forcing the very few users who patrol edits to constantly be fixing everyone else. If you are curious about the correct pronunciation, you'll just have to stick to looking at the pronunciation guide in the infobar on the right.