Detective Conan World
justwantanaccount

Sherry's Soliloquy

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-06-07.JPG
今時万年筆使ってる人なんているのかしら?
|
I wonder if there are any people using fountain pens these days?

finally a simple one to translate

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-06-15.JPG
トイレの中で溺死したくないわよね・・・
|
I wouldn’t want to be drown to death in a toilet…

couldn’t think of a better way to put it

• Upvote 1

been reading the manga, here’s an old one I hadn’t translated

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-02-17.JPG

わかったわ!7つ揃えるってドラゴンボールね!!

|

I got it! Collecting all 7, that’s about Dragon Balls, right?!

edit:

seeing as the scanlation kept taikō untranslated, I left it as is too; only thing I’m not sure about is whether it should be singular or plural…

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-02-24.JPG

本物の太閤は将棋が弱かったらしいわよ・・・

|

I’ve heard that real taikō were actually weak at shōgi…

this one’s funny, about Conan and Jodie going derp (I think, or I’ve completely misunderstood it)

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-04-28.JPG

仕方ないじゃない!気抜いてたんだから・・・

|

It couldn’t be helped! They lost focus…

feel free to propose better wording than “they lost focus” if you can think of anything

• Upvote 3

seeing as the scanlation kept taikō untranslated, I left it as is too; only thing I’m not sure about is whether it should be singular or plural…

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-02-24.JPG

本物の太閤は将棋が弱かったらしいわよ・・・

|

I’ve heard that real taikō were actually weak at shōgi…

Taikō is singular here because it is referring to the Taikō, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who Shuukichi is nicknamed after. I went ahead and fixed this one.

As for the other one, lost focus or slacked off seems to be right. I think it's a reference to the beginning of file 856 when Conan figures out it was Bourbon and Vermouth at the shrine.

• Upvote 1

thanks for the help Chekhov

画力対決で描いてたゴルゴって、ひょっとして横溝弟なんじゃないかしら?

for this one I have no idea what the first part means (画力対決で描いてたゴルゴって) the latter is something like “isn’t it the younger brother Yokomizo?”

other than that everything has been translated

I’ll try asking my Japanese teacher about it this monday

• Upvote 1

thanks for the help Chekhov

画力対決で描いてたゴルゴって、ひょっとして横溝弟なんじゃないかしら?

for this one I have no idea what the first part means (画力対決で描いてたゴルゴって) the latter is something like “isn’t it the younger brother Yokomizo?”

other than that everything has been translated

I’ll try asking my Japanese teacher about it this monday

It sounds like it's about an "artistic skill showdown" and "Golgo's depiction" referring to the main character Golgo 13 from the same named manga (ゴルゴ13 Gorugo Sātīn). The main character Golgo looks a bit like the younger Yokomizo brother, Jugo.

aea920f8d3b9bb5a68c8-LL.jpg

====

I would personally capitalize Taiko because it is a title and an exemplary nickname. You see the convention in the President (when referring to the current president), Alexander the Great, the First Lady, and the Oracle (of Delphi). It's a nitpicky English grammar point.

• Upvote 1

but what’s this artistic skill showdown about? で描いてた should mean “drawn there”, so Haibara is saying that the Golgo drawn at the artistic skill showdown looks a lot like Jūgo…?

• Upvote 1

but what’s this artistic skill showdown about? で描いてた should mean “drawn there”, so Haibara is saying that the Golgo drawn at the artistic skill showdown looks a lot like Jungo…?

I don't study Japanese, so my glossing is quite often wrong.

Looking more into 画力対決, it seems to a specific expression for when one guy tries to draw another artist's character. Look at the image results for "画力対決".

Maybe you can put it together as "Doesn't the Golgo (13) drawn at the redrawing showdown look like the younger brother (Juugo) Yokomizo?"

• Upvote 1

here’s what I’ve put “Doesn’t the Golgo drawn at the redrawing showdown look a lot like the younger Yokomizo brother?”

even though I’m not confident

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-06-29.JPG

話がチャカポコしてて「まじっく快斗」な雰囲気ね・・・

means something like “The story is all over the place, it gives a Magic Kaito atmosphere…” I’m too wasted to think of how to properly put it right now even though that doesn’t sound so bad itself

edit: added to wiki, didn’t feel like finding a better way to word it

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-07-06.JPG

蘭ちゃんポロリしちゃうわよ・・・

|

Ran-chan’s is gonna fall off…

dictionary says it could also be “crying” but in my experience ポロリ is always used for when a piece of clothing / towel covering body / etc. accidentally falls off, so I went with that interpretation

not knowing what sort of thing is gonna fall off I just put “Ran-chan’s” though it sounds awkward; once the chapter is out I guess we’ll know what it’s about

edit: having seen the raw, it’s about her dress, although I feel like it’d be a more appropriate comment for Sonoko… but yeah, I’ll put “Ran-chan’s dress is gonna fall off…” even though that’s not the exact nuance as in Japanese but I don’t know how else to put it

somewhat of a “spoiler” for ch.864

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-07-12.JPG

まあ先生の周りは薬指の長い女の子ばっかりなんだけどね・・・

|

The women around sensei all have a longer ring finger, though.

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-07-20.JPG

ポアロにも行きづらくなっちゃったわね・・・

|

Now it’s become hard to go to Poirot…

I read the chapter some days ago so I’ve forgotten what it’s supposed to be about, the も particle should indicate a “too” at the end of the phrase, but I’m not sure and can’t think of what else would be hard going to, so I left it out

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-07-28.JPG

大ちゃんやっちゃったのかしら・・・

|

Did Tai-chan do it…?

I’m confused as to why it’s “Tai-chan” as opposed to “Taii-chan” but the server with the raws is offline so I can’t check the manga

• Upvote 1

2 new ones

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-08-02.JPG

ちなみに三毛猫ホームズはメス猫らしいわよ・・・

this I don’t quite understand, “By the way, the calico cat Holmes seems to have been a female…” the part I don’t understand is whether Holmes had such a cat or if the cat itself was named Holmes edit: must’ve been referring to this show http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Mikeneko_Holmes_no_Suiri translation could also be “By the way, the cat in Calico Cat Holmes (or Mikeneko Holmes) seems to have been a female…”, I ultimately put “By the way, the calico cat in Mikeneko Holmes seems to have been a female…” but it could be changed if someone thinks otherwise

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-08-09.JPG

ムギちゃん見つかって良かったわね・・・

|

I’m glad she was able to find Mugi-chan…

that’s the old woman’s cat that looks similar to Tai-chan

• Upvote 2

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-08-24.JPG

どっち似なのかしら?

|

I wonder which of his parents he’ll look like?

I had “I wonder who he’ll take after?” but I’ve been told “take after” is about personality rather than appearance so I changed it

• Upvote 2

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-10-13.JPG

世良ちゃんのお人形さんみたいね・・・

|

She looks like a doll of Sera-chan…

who was the smart guy adding a translation made by Google? grin.gif

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-10-20.JPG

興味深いわね、世良ちゃんの寝室・・・

|

I’m really interested in Sera-chan’s bedroom…

I’m not really sure about the translation but oh well

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-10-20.JPG

興味深いわね、世良ちゃんの寝室・・・

|

I’m really interested in Sera-chan’s bedroom…

I’m not really sure about the translation but oh well

Does anyone think they can reword this to make it something like “Sera-chan’s bedroom is of great interest…”? Basically removing the subject, but actually making it sound decent, that one doesn’t sound decent to me.

I just read in a game the word I’m translating as “interesting” translated as “curious”, so maybe that could be used instead if it sounds better.

• Upvote 1