Detective Conan World
shin-chan

Was Yukiko exceedingly lenient?

Conan seems to take Rans seemingly condenscending attitude pretty hard, and ive noticed, even when he WAS that age, he had a lot of freedom.

I mean (forget the episode number) but he was a year younger then he looks now and he was able to go out in the middle of the night to investigate ghost storys at his school, and could have been abducted or who knows what.

His punishment.

A stiff warning.

Yukiko did show she was worried about him to be fair, but way Eri was expressing concern, I have to wonder, how lenient she was.

Whereas one of the OVA's I remember how Ran lectured conan on responsible spending.

Conan seems to take Rans seemingly condenscending attitude pretty hard, and ive noticed, even when he WAS that age, he had a lot of freedom.

I mean (forget the episode number) but he was a year younger then he looks now and he was able to go out in the middle of the night to investigate ghost storys at his school, and could have been abducted or who knows what.

His punishment.

A stiff warning.

Yukiko did show she was worried about him to be fair, but way Eri was expressing concern, I have to wonder, how lenient she was.

Whereas one of the OVA's I remember how Ran lectured conan on responsible spending.

I think Yukiko's MAIN concern over Shinichi is that he stays at home way too much reading books and dont care about what's going on in the outside world. So I suppose she was pretty happy when Shinichi actually goes out instead. I dont think Yukiko has to worry over such an intelligent boy. She probably thinks that Shinichi can take care of himself and even if he got into any situation, he would probably be fully capable to get out of it himself. Also, we all know Yukiko's character. :P She's just takes things very calmly and very innocently. I bet thats why Kudo Yuusaku fell in love with her hahahah. Their characters are just so matching :P

If anything, I think Yukiko does love her son and perhaps she wants him to grow up and mature fast. It could be that she knew that bad things will happen to him when he got older so she wants him to be able to take of himself at young age.

For Eri's case it is different. I think Eri is very protective of her daughter because she is familiar with all the crimes and evil intentions of people (she is a lawyer). Not only that, it was because of the father's personality too. Since Kogorou is always sooo busy and often neglects Ran, Eri has to be overly concerned with her. Also, in Japanese traditions, girls are considered the weaker of two sexes and families will usually overprotect their daughters rather than their sons. Also, in Japanese tradition, if anything happens, usually the one who suffers most is a girl. That explains the difference in attitude.

Also, another factor could be that Yukiko has a strong trust in Shinichi.

Even if their sons and daughters were to switch, (Ran is now Yukiko's daughter), I believe that Yukiko will still trust Ran (in Shinichi's hands this time round :P).

Another thing on yukiko

Its dangerous to judge too much based on one or two scenes, (this is where Fanon comes from)

but I sometimes get the impression of her having a replacement complex, towards Ran's Role as surrogate parent, that Ran isnt simply replacing her as the most important person to him, that much she could endure, as, as the bible says "for this reason will a man leave his father and his mother..." but replacing her as an authority figure and nurturer.

to go on that, I have a variety of things noticible the scene in episode 96 where she was pretty quick to separate him from Ran, first, then, made the fuss over "you can take a bath with Ran but not with me.

I know this may be conjecture... but it seems interesting.

I think Yuusaku is the one who's too lenient. If anything Yukiki was about to deliver a stern lecturing while Yuusaku is all like ehhh it's fineee, he's home now isn't he : D?

LOL I love Yukiko's "What are you doing calling a girl in at school in the middle of the night?!" when Shinichi is like eight years old xDD.