Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Pocket watch and Clock tower case (762-764): Vote for the culprit!

Pocket watch and Clock tower case (762-764?): Vote for the culprit!  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who attacked Hoshina Rukako?

• The butler Oume Gakumichi (42)
    • Architect Karube Teigo (45)
    • Interior designer Suou Chiaki (39)
    • Clockmaker Furugaki Rinsaku (64)
    • It was a suicide
    • It was an accident
    • Multiple suspects were involved
    • Someone else
    • Hakuba, who wanted his pocket watch back

This is a Kogoro-Ran-Conan case involving a wealthy time-piece loving lady, a clock tower someone fell out of in the past, and a rather mysterious death in the dark in a party room full of people. First string trick since who knows when? Who knows?

@Kaoko They didn't mention Hakuba, that option was put in because of Hakubas obsession with time and the entire clock theme with this file.

At the moment I'm guessing it's the butler guy, I'm not certain yet though as there's not enough info to be sure and my basis is the fact he flicked the lightswitch and was not close to the body (don't ask, I'm not sure how I thought that myself) so I'm not going to vote yet.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How can it be that I'm the only one that's voted so far!? :shock:

Anyway Chek you should have their proper names by now

DCW is kinda quite comparing to DCTP c8908497.gif... by the way, are you here to stalk Chekhov 07baa27a.gif?

Anyway Chek you should have their proper names by now

I'm not logging into DCTP just to see the early translations. That would be cheating. Unless the names are posted somewhere where I can see them, I won't be able to fix the poll before the file release.

The letter has arrived two times previous, but there is no indication of a countdown. Does this mean the circumstances weren’t correct for the murderer on Hoshino’s last two birthdays? It is raining this time which may make a difference.

Karube Teigo has a foldable umbrella he kept with him. He put it in his jacket even though it is wet. Furugaki Rinsaku has a cane and kept his raincoat. Suou Chiaki has carpet swatches. Oume Gakumichi pushed the cart in with the cake.

Hoshino didn’t like something as she blew out the candles. Was it something written on the cake with glow in the dark frosting? Was it something that shouldn’t be in the cake? Was it something to do with her pocketwatch which she was holding open while she blew out the candles that several of the suspects had just handled?

The guy who died managed the job of three clock technicians currently. His overwork/death is probably the motive for the crime.

This is a first pass solution, and thus I probably messed up or ignored some things I shouldn't have.

*Edit 4pm now updated with diagram*

The murderer is is Karube Teigo, the architect. He used his collapsible umbrella to murder Hoshina Rukako. The handle part concealed the icepick-like blade, while the umbrella part was used to block the majority of the blood from splashing onto his clothes. After reassembling and collapsing the umbrella, he disposed of the umbrella down the well by using some contraption tied to the well and the tower clock.

Why murder didn't occur until the third year

The first clue is that the murderer sent the letter twice previously, but there is no indication of a countdown. This mean the circumstances weren’t correct for the murderer on Hoshino’s last two birthdays. It is raining this time which provides the excuse to have an umbrella. Karube Teigo has a foldable umbrella he kept with him and he even put it in his jacket while wet instead of checking it with the butler. Also the rain would hide string contraptions more effectively because people would be less likely to look up.

Timeline of events

After everyone cleared out of the clocktower, but before the party, Karube Teigo took the time to prepare the contraption/string trick at the well and the tower clock. The contraption works so when the tower clock strikes six, a string is cut or slips which causes the string that had been run through the well grating and then the balcony door to pull the umbrella that the culprit tied to it into the well. I imagine there is some weight dangling in the well which will cause the umbrella to be yanked at high speed, enough to throw open the unlocked, outward-facing door. I'll try to elaborate on the mechanics later.

During the party, Karube Teigo took the time to touch Hoshina Rukako's necklace and apply luminescent paint. He also asks to examine Hoshina's pocketwatch. He had to set Hoshina's pocketwatch fast to ensure he has time between when she blows out the candles and the tower clock strikes six to attach the murderous umbrella to the contraption before it sets off. The butler says that Hoshina always times the blowing out of the candles with the first chime of the clocks. Ran points out that Hoshina was early, and the butler says the clock technicians assigned said the clocks went off at the correct time. This means Hoshina's pocketwatch, which was her reference, was fast. It is most likely the reason she was angry right before she was murdered because she noticed the clocks didn't go off properly according to her.

When the butler turns the light out, Karube Teigo opens the umbrella and separates the handle which conceals an icepick like blade. When he does this, it creates a cloth friction sound like a lady's dress moving which Karube himself noted. In the process of getting close to Hoshina Rukako, the umbrella brushes up against Furugaki Rinsaku who mistook the springy feeling for a fat person's body passing him. The umbrella seems like a nimble person to Suou Chiaki because it is lightweight and easily moves.

I hazard that Karube Teigo held the umbrella near his body with one hand to block the blood spatter and held the separated handle blade with the other, and he stabbed the blade through the umbrella into Hoshina Rukako's back. This resulted in the unusual parabola shaped boundary where the blood was blocked by the circular shape of the umbrella. He then closed the umbrella and reattached the handle which would get blood on his hands and cuffs, tied it to the contraption, and then positioned himself to kneel when the lights are turned on so he could explain the blood on his hands and cuffs.

The contraption goes off right when the tower clock strikes six which pulls the umbrella through the door at high speed, flinging it open and leaving rubbed blood marks on porch from dragging. The umbrella is dragged through the grating into the well and the left over string either goes with it or is wrapped up into the gears of the tower clock somehow. The weather forecast said the rain should have stopped in the evening. Karube Teigo was counting on that to avoid questions about the absense of footprints, but it didn't turn out the way he wanted casting suspicion on the party members.

Evidence

There should be plenty of evidence such as fingerprints on the umbrella since Karube was not wearing gloves earlier. Karube also doesn't have the umbrella when he hits questioning despite putting it in his jacket earlier. Any remnants of string in the tower clock and the well and the pocket watch being fast will prove the mechanics of the trick. Karube hasn't washed his hands which have blood on them before he was questioned, so if he applied the luminescent paint with his bare fingers, the paint should show up among the blood with a black light; however, other people handling the necklace later might have paint on them as well. The same goes for Karube's fingerprints being on the pocketwatch because other people might have handled it.

I still have to explain the positioning of the other suspects and why they have the bloodstains on certain parts of their body, but I imagine the umbrella probably protected them as well from most of the the blood splatter. I also need to prove that no one else could have committed the crime, but I think Karube is the only one who handled the pocketwatch before the crime with an umbrella and could set the previously precisely ontime pocketwatch fast. The mysterious bit is why Karube pressed for an investigation when he bothered to set up the trick in the first place. He did say that he wasn't keen that the ghost of his childhood friend could be made out to be the culprit. If he cared enough to murder someone, then perhaps he cares enough not to sully the name of his dead friend?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a potential string trick solution in the case of a deep well.

The murderer attaches the umbrella in the dark to a loose bit of string flagged with a bit of luminescent paint on the end so he can see it. The string securely knotted to another bit of string connected to the clock gears/some other clock part and bearing the weight hanging in the well. The string is snapped by the at six precisely. The weight drags the umbrella and the bit of string attached to the clock tower into the well through the grating.

clockcasemurdertrickdee.png

This trick requires a different construct if the well is shallower than the clock tower is high to avoid leaving dangling string on the lawn or the roof.

as I posted this on DCTP in response to part of your solution, I'll post it here as well:

As Abs. pointed out there, the hour hand of the clock houses a very small, inconspicuous pincer on the end. If one was to put an object with a curved handle like the cane or umbrella into this and hang it, the pincer would hold it in place until it hits exactly 6 o'clock, at which point (given that the handle's diameter is exactly the same as the pincer's width) the object will fall out, triggering the beginning of the mechanism. So, there isn't actually any "cutting of a string" at 6 o'clock, but rather the object falling out of the clock's pincer thing.

edit: Also that is an awesome diagram. :P

It really is an awesome diagram!

I like the umbrella idea, but offer up an alternative suggestion: A Sheet. Or a table cloth.

I'd worry about the prongs of the umbrella getting caught up on the grill or the bars of the railing, especially with a long blade attached to it. (says the person who has problems keeping a brolly open or shut as it's supposed to be ^^;;) If the weapon has a loop on an end to tie a string to rather than tying it in the middle, it'll keep it from getting snagged quite so easily.

A sheet would give more coverage area to guard against splatter, particularly the feet area, and you can stab through it. The corner of the fabric could account for the v-shaped void in the blood spatter.

I'd say a tarp or a sheet of plastic, but there were a couple of comments about 'cloth' rustling, and it is a different sound.

The old man is the most suspicious, IMHO. If nothing else than because he's so incredibly helpful... Especially pointing out physical characteristics that aim the investigation towards other people.

as I posted this on DCTP in response to part of your solution, I'll post it here as well:

As Abs. pointed out there, the hour hand of the clock houses a very small, inconspicuous pincer on the end. If one was to put an object with a curved handle like the cane or umbrella into this and hang it, the pincer would hold it in place until it hits exactly 6 o'clock, at which point (given that the handle's diameter is exactly the same as the pincer's width) the object will fall out, triggering the beginning of the mechanism. So, there isn't actually any "cutting of a string" at 6 o'clock, but rather the object falling out of the clock's pincer thing.

I thought about that already, but I decided that the hour hand's position at 5:58/5:59 and 6:00 is pretty close. The object could slip off early if it is buffeted around a bit since it the clock hand is facing pretty much downwards at 5:59. Gosho could say that it worked as you describe, but I would would be disappointed as it seems too error prone.

The question im trying to figure out is why wait 3 years. Why not do it the first time the criminal sent the letter.

Could it be because the culprit tried it each year and was unsuccessful.

I thought about that already, but I decided that the hour hand's position at 5:58/5:59 and 6:00 is pretty close. The object could slip off early if it is buffeted around a bit since it the clock hand is facing pretty much downwards at 5:59. Gosho could say that it worked as you describe, but I would would be disappointed as it seems too error prone.

yeah, I realize that but it seems to me that it could very well be the method anyway, as otherwise I can't think of the reasoning for pointing out that part.

yeah, I realize that but it seems to me that it could very well be the method anyway, as otherwise I can't think of the reasoning for pointing out that part.

I thought it could be a vague notification that the clock was involved, but it did highlight the funny shape of the hour hand rather well. It doesn't change the basic idea that the clock triggered the mechanism. Gosho didn't provide enough clues to distinguish between different the two suggested methods anyway.

I realized I had my diagram slightly wrong. Based on the position of the blood marks on the door and the railing, the umbrella and the string goes over the rail, not threaded through the railing bars. I fixed it to reflect the changes.

So we can confirm that the gold watch had something to do with it.

Conan did see a light right when the lights when out, that could be the luminescent paint on an object.

Also each person said they heard something different (A dress, overweight).

She got stabbed in the stomach right?

She was stabbed in the heart.

Eliminating the other suspects:

Old man: His raincoat is also missing, but that doesn't solve the mystery of the missing weapon as well as "It was in the umbrella." However it could be said the old man brought a weapon in and wrapped it in the raincoat to get rid of it. The decisive "evidence" that the raincoat was not used to shield the blood is the blood that was on the old man's shoulder.

Woman: She could have used a smuggled-in weapon and used the unseen carpet sample to shield the blood spray, however the woman would have had to have quite a large carpet sample to pull this off, and such a large carpet would not have fit in her purse. So I'm leaving her off the suspect list.

Can't really rule the butler out, since he's suspicious simply because he seems to be the least suspicious.

If it was the umbrella then anyone could get hold of one. The butler probably put them into the same room after he collected them meaning that as long as you can hide it until the murder you'd be fine. Also as it was raining they'd be at least one umbrella there for certain(the reason it had to be raining?) and it would mean that the evidence would not point towards anyone in terms of the weapon. If it was this way then it's more likely to be the woman as she has only has a bloodstain from when she knocked into someone. I don't know the way the weapon was disposed of and I can't think of a way to get it into the well in the time limit. I'm nowhere near certain about any of this though so feel free to point out any problems with it :mrgreen:

The umbrella the guy kept was square was it not.

I keep thinking that it has something to do with the hands on a clock (Pointy)

also something is not right with this testomony.

The old man said: "I got a bit of blood on my right shoulder because i was standing to the left of her.". He also says "I was Pushed right before the woman let out the scream."

Heres a basic text diagram im looking at:

v- victim, O - old guy, M - murderer

V O

M

If he got pushed out of the way why does he still have blood on his shoulder.

Now for some accusations on the Archetect:

The reason he doesnt have any blood on his body could be because, he was using a similar trick used by the culprit in "Captured in her eyes". using the Umbrella as a cover while stabbing her somehow. A string could have been attached from the clock to the doors so that the door would open once it hit the time. Another string like Chekhov said could have been attached to the umbrella which when the time was hit it pulling it away (theoretically). Also he said he heard fabric like a dress moving towards them. This could just be because the Murderer bumped into the old man.

Onto the woman:

One phrase is stuck with me and thats when she comments Probably not Fugaki san as he is getting old in age. Conan asks her what do you mean and she doesnt respond.

Edited by Cheesus

I just re-read the file 762 and read the file 763 ac0d5cff.gif...

Mmm... I voted for Architect Karube Teigo f529a952.gif.

1. The weapon is his folded umbrella where he didn't give it to the butler but instead stuffed it in his coat.
  2. The motive is the death of his childhood friend.
  3. His trick is... as Chekhov concluded above :P.

I didn't read your theories till now that I have read the files... but wow, Chehov... you are brilliant :o! Genius I would say th_118_.gif...

AWESOME deductions everyone :mrgreen: :D:lol:

Man, I just hope that Hakuba will make an appearence 4fd9f2d3.gif.

Yeah, I reckon it's either the architect or the woman(the butler is not ruled out though) for the reasons listed in this thread. Although I do find it extremely weird that there are four suspects and some red herrings in this case, it's very unusual for Gosho to break from his normal three suspect murder case. Perhaps it's leading up to something? What does everyone else think?