Jump to content
Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 987-989: The Burning Tent

Recommended Posts

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

 

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

987 Spoiler Pics:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4974180690?pn=1

 

988 Spoiler Pics:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4984603538

 

989 Spoiler Pics:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Worth noting: before Rumi stares shadily to the ground and clutches her pocket in anger, the basketball club manager talks about his right eye being artificial, due to an accident with one of the other case characters during a basketball game.
Image
So yeah, that apparantly triggers Rumi. And also, I believe this is the first time we see actually how Gosho draws an artificial eye.
 
Correction edit: The eye is not artificial, but rather severly injured and that character nearly lost it and nearly had to get an artificial one. Still, the mention of an artificial eye is what triggers Rumi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Serinox said:
Worth noting: before Rumi stares shadily to the ground and clutches her pocket in anger, the basketball club manager talks about his right eye being artificial, due to an accident with one of the other case characters during a basketball game.
Image
So yeah, that apparantly triggers Rumi. And also, I believe this is the first time we see actually how Gosho draws an artificial eye.

 

 

Yeah, that scene struck me as a classic Gosho misdirect, trying to make it seem Shiho's/Ai's BO sense is back, but, in actuality, Rumi just gets pissed at the very thought of Rum.


And Hyoue has only one natural eye, and has a keen interest in her... what will she do about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Whelp, looks like I was slightly mistaken: that guy (Kuninori Danno) talks about getting his eye severely injured, nearly losing it and nearly needing to get an artificial eye, which triggers Rumi. Still, it looks so much different compared to Gosho's usual drawing of an injured eye, so that still confuses me a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Serinox said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Whelp, looks like I was slightly mistaken: that guy (Kuninori Danno) talks about getting his eye severely injured, nearly losing it and nearly needing to get an artificial eye, which triggers Rumi. Still, it looks so much different compared to Gosho's usual drawing of an injured eye, so that still confuses me a bit.

 

 

Even so, the point you made about Rumi being triggered by mention of an artificial eye still stands... in fact, it becomes even stronger, now—the guy with glasses mentions an artificial eye

one panel before Rumi comes in, as opposed to two, as you initially conjectured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aries Bless said:

It seems to me, that Rumi is afraid of something connected to an artificial eye. Maybe she is suffering from a trauma.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Maybe the Haneda murder case from 17 years ago

 

 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

987 Chinese: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4981577852

 

 

I wonder if Kuroda has seen Kouji's body personally or at least has peeked at some police reports (although the murder took place in America and he's Japanese police) to know how it looks like, since the news article doesn't seem to have a picture of his body. He also remarked that camping is not "[your] style" (probably referring to Rumi, pronoun omitted in Japanese version), so I guess it's all but confirmed that he knew her pretty well, considering he could make a connection between Rumi and the Kouji case somewhat easily, if they weren't involved in the incident to begin with.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Black Demon said:

987 Chinese: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4981577852

 

I wonder if Kuroda has seen Kouji's body personally or at least has peeked at some police reports (although the murder took place in America and he's Japanese police) to know how it looks like, since the news article doesn't seem to have a picture of his body. He also remarked that camping is not "[your] style" (probably referring to Rumi, pronoun omitted in Japanese version), so I guess it's all but confirmed that he knew her pretty well, considering he could make a connection between Rumi and the Kouji case somewhat easily, if they weren't involved in the incident to begin with.

 

 

Question is, is Koji's body being shown an instance of a character (Hyoue) imagining it, or remembering and reflecting upon it... or is this an instance where Koji's body is being shown for the audience, and not the character(s). Take Ran's flashback on the last page of File 956—that was an example of the latter. If 987 was an instance of the former, however... hmm... whatever the case, though, he seems to already know her well enough to know that camping isn't something she'd typically do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Kuroda is looking at case files concerning the 17 year old murders or a website. Would that mean that the website is up again? Or is Kuroda the one behind it? But I doubt he is the type to desperatly call out for help online. I do agree that he knows Wakasa Rumi, judging on his comment on 'not like her'. But I would like to see if Kuroda tries to pressure Conan into showing how smart he is, like Heiji tried to do in the Mycroft Case (V. 12-13).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

 

  Hide contents

Question is, is Koji's body being shown an instance of a character (Hyoue) imagining it, or remembering and reflecting upon it... or is this an instance where Koji's body is being shown for the audience, and not the character(s). Take Ran's flashback on the last page of File 956—that was an example of the latter. If 987 was an instance of the former, however... hmm... whatever the case, though, he seems to already know her well enough to know that camping isn't something she'd typically do.

 

Spoiler

Or, it's based on the assumption that she's "Asaka"="Rum". Not that he knows Rum too well, but "BO's second-in-command going to a camp" does sound abnormal overall(which from his expression, sounds like he's being playful about it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

Or, it's based on the assumption that she's "Asaka"="Rum". Not that he knows Rum too well, but "BO's second-in-command going to a camp" does sound abnormal overall(which from his expression, sounds like he's being playful about it).

 

 

Gosho's counting on the readers assuming one of two things, here:


1. Hyoue is Rum, and he's after Rumi because she's a loose end in that case
2. Rumi is Rum, and Hyoue's after her because he was once involved in that case

I believe neither will turn out to be true, but I am curious how he knows her (and if she knows him, too), and why is Shiho's/Ai's BO sense is going off now, after nearly 200 Files of not doing so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

 

  Hide contents

Gosho's counting on the readers assuming one of two things, here:


1. Hyoue is Rum, and he's after Rumi because she's a loose end in that case
2. Rumi is Rum, and Hyoue's after her because he was once involved in that case

I believe neither will turn out to be true, but I am curious how he knows her (and if she knows him, too), and why is Shiho's/Ai's BO sense is going off now, after nearly 200 Files of not doing so.

 

 

 

Agreed.


Reality of the matter seems to be that both of them thinks that the other is Rum. Kuroda's comment seems to cement that, and Rumi's reaction to "prosthetic" indicates that she somehow knows about Rum's eye, and suddenly appears a one-eyed man and she reacts serious about it(Kuroda was blatantly even saying that he was keeping "one eye" open, which looked like Gosho's way of making Kuroda suspicious to Rumi). I think we can overall say that regardless of their identity, both of them haven't seen Rum's appearance directly, but Kuroda is under the impression that Rum could be female, and Rumi's under the impression that he has one eye.

I don't think they know each other(at least not with their current misleading identities).

We will have to wait to hear Haibara's thoughts regarding what she felt exactly. I'm sure Haibara will elaborate on it clearer(at least her thoughts on it). If this never gets addressed, then it's likely a red-herring, and she was only reacting to the word, and then turned around after picking up on Rumi's reaction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Haibara's sense can only react to members with connections to her and her family.

Vermouth - might have been a test subject to the research done by the Miyano. And it seems that she knows Sherry personally.

Gin - Knows Sherry personally.

Bourbon - Knew Akemi and the Miyanos.

Subaru/Akai - Akemi's lover and personal acquaitance of Sherry.

 

I can't recall if there was any time, where Haibara reacted to a member, who, as we know, wasn't connected to the Miyano Family.

 

As for DCUniverseAficionado's question to me, I'm just curious about Kuroda's interest in Conan. I hope to see more of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aries Bless said:

Perhaps Haibara's sense can only react to members with connections to her and her family.

Vermouth - might have been a test subject to the research done by the Miyano. And it seems that she knows Sherry personally.

Gin - Knows Sherry personally.

Bourbon - Knew Akemi and the Miyanos.

Subaru/Akai - Akemi's lover and personal acquaitance of Sherry.

 

I can't recall if there was any time, where Haibara reacted to a member, who, as we know, wasn't connected to the Miyano Family.

My theory is that she can only sense people that was in her presence in the past(even when she was a baby).

It covers all the known people she has sensed, except Bourbon(Unless he met her) and possibly Rumi(unless she's indeed Vermouth).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

I don't think they know each other(at least not with their current misleading identities).



We will have to wait to hear Haibara's thoughts regarding what she felt exactly. I'm sure Haibara will elaborate on it clearer(at least her thoughts on it). If this never gets addressed, then it's likely a red-herring, and she was only reacting to the word, and then turned around after picking up on Rumi's reaction.

 

Yes, it could be that Hyoue's "Camp, huh... it's not like that person at all" line only referred to Rumi because he thinks she's Rum (or at least, very well could be).



 

Yeah, it could be she was reacting to the mention of an artificial eye, but... I'm just not sure she'd react like that. The moment we see her eyes in a "shocked" state, it's when the SFX comes up as Rumi's walking towards them—that makes it seem like what came from behind her caused her to act the way she did, rather than something said in front of her.

 

2 hours ago, Aries Bless said:

As for DCUniverseAficionado's question to me, I'm just curious about Kuroda's interest in Conan. I hope to see more of that.

I will say that we haven't seen enough of the inner workings of the police to know if rumors spread about Shinichi/Conan—in other words, we haven't had scenes where, say, someone like Kiyonaga talks to a higher up (or a group of higher-ups) about Shinichi/Conan—and reached a higher level of authority and were then taken seriously... therefore, if you say he was lying when he said that he heard from higher up police about Shinichi/Conan, and, actually, he heard it from elsewhere, and we'll eventually have his actual source revealed, I get where that's coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

 

 

  Hide contents

Yes, it could be that Hyoue's "Camp, huh... it's not like that person at all" line only referred to Rumi because he thinks she's Rum (or at least, very well could be).


Yeah, it could be she was reacting to the mention of an artificial eye, but... I'm just not sure she'd react like that. The moment we see her eyes in a "shocked" state, it's when the SFX comes up as Rumi's walking towards them—that makes it seem like what came from behind her caused her to act the way she did, rather than something said in front of her.

 

 

I'm not arguing about it looking like she sensed something or not(because it definitely did), just mentioning the meaning of it if it never gets addressed by Haibara. If she indeed sensed something from Rumi, then the Vermouth options has a higher chance of being true.


That would of course mean that Vermouth has a grudge on Rum. Maybe, in that case, Rum might've killed her husband, and she held a memento of him.

 

 

Quote

 

I will say that we haven't seen enough of the inner workings of the police to know if rumors spread about Shinichi/Conan—in other words, we haven't had scenes where, say, someone like Kiyonaga talks to a higher up (or a group of higher-ups) about Shinichi/Conan—and reached a higher level of authority and were then taken seriously... therefore, if you say he was lying when he said that he heard from higher up police about Shinichi/Conan, and, actually, he heard it from elsewhere, and we'll eventually have his actual source revealed, I get where that's coming from.

Didn't he just say, "you're popular in the HQ"(referring to Nagano)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MeiTanteixX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm not arguing about it looking like she sensed something or not(because it definitely did), just mentioning the meaning of it if it never gets addressed by Haibara. If she indeed sensed something from Rumi, then the Vermouth options has a higher chance of being true.


That would of course mean that Vermouth has a grudge on Rum. Maybe, in that case, Rum might've killed her husband, and she held a memento of him.

 

Didn't he just say, "you're popular in the HQ"(referring to Nagano)?

Well, if it is the Nagano PD he was referring to when he said, then there you have it. That'll do, as an explanation—no need for lying. And if there is another party he's in contact with, it can be for another reason than getting word about Shinichi's/Conan's intellect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little clarification: Kuroda specifically referred to the National Police Agency - 警察庁 (where he used to work in before getting transferred to Nagano), so it's not Nagano PD (although they might also have been talking about Conan's intelligence there as well). He also didn't say that Conan was popular or anything, but outright stated that Conan being the brain behind Sleeping Kogoro was something "that's been rumored/gossiped about within the National Police Agency".

 

ePwnwxw.png

 

TL;DR: That was a minor mistranslation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Black Demon said:

A little clarification: Kuroda specifically referred to the National Police Agency - 警察庁 (where he used to work in before getting transferred to Nagano), so it's not Nagano PD (although they might also have been talking about Conan's intelligence there as well). He also didn't say that Conan was popular or anything, but outright stated that Conan being the brain behind Sleeping Kogoro was something "that's been rumored/gossiped about within the National Police Agency".

 

ePwnwxw.png

 

And we haven't seen NPA characters, really (besides Rei/Toru). So who knows who, specifically, Hyoue heard this from (if it wasn't Rei/Toru)—we don't even know the specific source that began this rumor. Though it could be argued that where he got the info that Shinichi/Conan was pretty smart doesn't really matter.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Black Demon said:

A little clarification: Kuroda specifically referred to the National Police Agency - 警察庁 (where he used to work in before getting transferred to Nagano), so it's not Nagano PD (although they might also have been talking about Conan's intelligence there as well). He also didn't say that Conan was popular or anything, but outright stated that Conan being the brain behind Sleeping Kogoro was something "that's been rumored/gossiped about within the National Police Agency".

 

ePwnwxw.png

 

TL;DR: That was a minor mistranslation.

 

Then I guess Rei has a big mouth.

(We still don't know how recent his transfer to Nagano was, but it won't be a stretch to assume it was recent, after Scarlet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now