Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Heliotropic

Detective Conan/Case Closed now streaming on Netflix

Detective Conan has officially been added to Netflix.

So far it contains 6 episodes that were not simulcasted by Crunchyroll, and 52 in total from episodes 748-799. The episode listing can be a bit confusing as it lists 748 as Episode 1 and is not listed by the Japanese episode count. 

The subtitles seem to be a bit different from Crunchyroll, but not drastically so.

It's also listed under the proper title, "Detective Conan", not "Case Closed" like Crunchyroll. Despite this, the cover image for the series and the "Case Closed" logo at the end of each episode make their way in, just like the English movies.
Edit: Netflix has now changed the title to Case Closed (assuming due to legal issues or something of that nature)

Detective Conan is listed as "TV-14", and several English voice-actors are listed in the cast Info. I wonder if this means they have plans to upload older episodes dubbed by Funimation. (It could of course, mean nothing, and there's a next to no chance of FUNi dubbing future episodes)

NMvDupr.png

VKOJjqo.png

eMr51Rl.png

• Upvote 1

But why would they post a show that makes no sense to new viewers :,( .

It makes me cry and cringe @ the same time. I love Netflix for noticing a anime audience and adding more anime shows , but then someone who logs into Netflix and sees Case closed season 1 they should get to see the original beast of a show it was from the beginning( with English fun of course) . Thank you for making this post because I can't find anyone else addressing this :)

Edited by Potatoe1

But why would they post a show that makes no sense to new viewers :,( .

It makes me cry and cringe @ the same time. I love Netflix for noticing a anime audience and adding more anime shows , but then someone who logs into Netflix and sees Case closed season 1 they should get to see the original beast of a show it was from the beginning( with English fun of course) . Thank you for making this post because I can't find anyone else addressing this :)

I'm sure they've done that with other shows as well. They probably weren't able to pick up the beginning episodes, as maybe that was what was included in the deal. I think Crunchy only acquired Detective Conan because it was a package deal for instance...

FUNimation is the only legal option I'm aware of that offers the first 123 episodes, and I agree that it would be a good idea to provide a starting point for new fans... that might simply not be an option? I'm not really sure how all of that works out. So far, it seems to be doing rather well on Netflix, despite all of the negative reviews for listing the seasons/episodes incorrectly.

Crunchyroll does the same thing, but the difference there is that they are a "simulcast" and broadcast the episodes 1 week behind Japan, so that's an outlet for fans who have kept up with the series over the years. Netflix does kind of offer that... but I doubt they'll ever be able to keep up with Crunchyroll, and they so far,  have stopped at 799 (when Crunchy has up till 803). I find that having 6 episodes Crunchy doesn't, despite the subs seeming to be sourced from Crunchy is rather "intriguing".

I think for now the Netflix announcement really isn't a huge deal. There is some potential for that to change though.