Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Rukia Kurosaki

Synchronicity Chapter 13: Nevermore

(2 Weeks Later)

Hattori Heiji sat down, closing his cell phone. It had been two weeks since the showdown with the Black Organization, and he was glad to know that so far there had been no retaliation by the remaining members. With a sigh he turned to Kazuha, who'd demanded to know "What Kudo said," and replied, "His dad goes on trial next month, and Kisaki Eri refused to be his attorney. Other than Korn and Chianti, none of the other members were caught.Kir is back with the CIA, Gin and Vodka could be anywhere, Vermouth, anyone. And as for Bourbon..."

Amuro Tooru untied his apron, setting it on the counter of the kitchen at Cafe Poirot. "My shift's up. Have a nice night." He left without another word, soon maneuvering his car in a practiced manner to Beika Central Hospital, ignoring the traffic and sounds of the street as he thought over the past month. "I'm definitely shunned from the Org after taking the boss in. And I didn't get to finish my plan that would have seen the whole group arrested..." He shook his head as he pulled in to the parking complex, mumbling to himself while he locked the car. "Why did that jerk Rye not turn me in? Is it because I haven't killed? Or does he have some kind of plan for me?"

"Both, in a way." Amuro turned to see Subaru Okiya leaning against a yellow volkswagen beetle two parking spaces away from where he'd stopped. Subaru spoke, now in his true voice as Shuuichi. "I want you to join a... task force, shall we say, to incarcerate the remaining members of the syndicate. I know you loved Akemi as well, and you've hated me for letting her die, but as a witness to the Organization's actions in my absence, you're invaluable to the FBI. Comrades, once again?" Amuro walked past him slowly, turning his head when he was a few feet away. "Comrades," he answered.

Conan watched Amuro go from the passenger's seat of the Beetle, turning to Haibara, who was sitting in the back and ignoring him. "I still don't trust him," he muttered, his expression unsure. Haibara added, "I think he knows who you are, Kudou-kun... And since he is a police officer, and Ran obviously still has no clue you're you, I think we can give him a little leeway... For now." She gave Conan a tired look, adding, "Of course after what's happened there is still no antidote... You have to tell Ran sooner or later..." Conan shook his head. 

"Not yet. Those guys're still out there. Until it's safe for me to be near her again, I can't risk it." He blinked at the laugh that followed his words, watching Haibara as she chuckled, "You're full of surprises, aren't you Kudo-kun? All this time tearing yourself apart to protect her, and you're going to prolong that? Do detectives live by a code of honor now, or is it just how much you care about her?" Conan's face turned pink as he turned away and coughed, "Uh, honor..."

Ran and Sonoko passed the window of a cafe and stopped, turning back at the sight of a poster announcing a sale on baked goods. "Conan-kun's been wanting curry buns recently... let's go in," Ran proposed, smiling. Sonoko nodded, replying, "Anything to talk to that cute cashier who looks like Shinichi." She elbowed Ran, adding, "Hm?" Shaking her head, Ran protested, "No! That has nothing to do with this!"

"So you DO admit you think he's cute!" Ran's face flushed. "That's not what I meant! Please tell me you aren't planning on acting like this around Erru-chan..."

"Who?"

"The new girl who's joining our class, Natake Erru. Apparently she's Shinichi's sister, and had a part in... arresting their father." Sonoko blinked, standing frozen. "Huh?" Ran stared at the ground, losing her smile.

"After all that's happened with these never ending cases, Shinichi wasn't even here to find out about what happened. I called him the minute I found out. Conan and I were watching the news, but of course I made him go to bed. A child his age shouldn't watch those stories... But I called Shinichi, and he sounded pretty upset. There was no way to be there for him over the phone, and I know he's suffering, but I can't do anything to help him through this. He's always been close to his father, and..." She sniffed and bit her lip as Sonoko sighed. "Alright, let's go! We're gonna get the biggest cake they've got and invite everyone to come have some. You aren't gonna get away with being all mopey and alone while your dad's out drinking tonight. We'll send an invite to Shinichi-kun too!"

When Amuro reached the room he was looking for, he found himself hesitating. There were voices on the other side of the door. Not wanting to interrupt a conversation, he stood there and listened.

"You're such a tomboy!"

"Yeah, this coming from you, miss, 'oh yeah, by the way, I'm female, 'sup''."

"Why won't you just try the skirt on?!"

"Why? I know I hate it. I hate all skirts... And wearing one to school!? Not a chance. They're drafty and people can see your underwear!"

"But it's the uniform!"

"Not a chance!"

Amuro sighed and opened the door, hoping he wouldn't enter into the middle of an argument. "Ah, I'm back." He smiled and held up the tray of sandwiches he'd brought, adding, "And I made some dinner. Mouri-sensei said his daughter would be by as well, since she's one of the three to be teaching you your way around." Erru glanced at him from where she sat half covered on the neat bed, pointing at Sera. "She said they're gonna make me wear a skirt," she accused.

Amuro raised his hands defensively, stepping lightly around a stack of mystery books after setting the tray of sandwiches on the bedside table. "Look on the bright side. Transferring here lets you be a sister figure to Masumi-san again. And you have your job back in Rye's group. But since there's no way to bring you up to the age you should be, you have to attend school." Erru sighed, throwing the blanket over her head. "I don't want to go... I haven't been in a high school for ten years..."

"I'll convince the headmaster to let you wear pants," Sera chimed in. "Fine. And Kudo-nii... He's not, uh... gonna be there, is he?" Sera laughed, "No, not for a while, yet."

Conan sneezed, frowning. "Must be getting a cold..." He closed the journal he'd finished writing in just moments before, in which he'd been detailing everything that had happened since the day at Tropical Land when he'd been shrunk to the days following the unmasking of his father as Anokata. On the front he'd scrawled "Meitantei Conan," in marker. He was planning on giving it to Ran for her 18th birthday if he was still unable to return to his normal body. 

His phone -Shinichi's phone- vibrated in his pocket, and he withdrew it with a small smile. It was a text from Ran, inviting him to come have some cake with them if he was still within traveling distance. I want to... I want to see you so badly as myself, but... Haibara tapped his shoulder, and he turned as his thoughts were interrupted. "You look so pitiful, I think you deserve this... Just this once." She held out a temporary antidote capsule, smiling.

"I'll tell her Conan is spending some time with myself and Agasa Hakase. He doesn't need the cake anyway..." Conan stared dumbfounded at Haibara for a moment before taking the pill from her and replying to the text. "I have a long case, but I am on leave for now. I can be at your father's detective agency in a couple of hours. I will deal with the situation with my father, so don't cry for me. I am hoping that I will soon resolve the long mystery that I have been investigating since the trip to Tropical Land after you won the Karate Championship." He sighed, finishing the message as he swallowed the Apotoxin antidote. "Until then, Ran... The case continues."
  • Upvote 1