Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Rukia Kurosaki

Synchronicity Chapter 9: The Bitter Lapse

Now sitting in the conference room of the Osaka Police Station, Shinichi and Hattori listened to Subaru as he explained the plan of action. "We should wait here for the person who gave you this..." He blinked and frowned. "Do you know who wrote this?" Shinichi nodded. "Natake did... well, apparently she's actually Amontillado, so I guess we can't trust her..." Subaru shook his head.

"If that's true, and she's going by Amontillado and Natake, there's a high chance it's her. Not many know her name and her desired Organization name, so unless a member found out and is faking it, that girl is Natake Erru, and she's still alive..." He stared at the table contemplatively, not glancing up as Shinichi asked, "Then she's FBI?"

"She was FBI. As I said, we were under the impression that she had died ten years ago. This feels impossible. Dead agents don't just pop up from the organization and announce that they're still alive..." Hattori asked, "What about the information on those guys you've been getting?" 

Subaru sighed, replying, "Those messages were between Kir and Jodie. The updates after my 'death' had to be handled discreetly, so we began using a coded system." Shinichi frowned, saying quickly, "So what do you think this means, Subaru-san?"

"I don't know what to think..." There was a tap on the door, and a figure in a black hoodie and sweatpants slipped in, sitting silently at the table before removing the hood and addressing Shinichi and Heiji. "See, Kudou-kun, Hattori-kun? Told you I'd be fine..." Something about the greeting bothered him, but Shinichi nodded, replying, "Yeah, Natake-san..."

Hattori broke in, "So what's all this about you being Amontillado, huh?! We trust you and you lead us to a 'safe' place that's as dangerous as it gets!" Natake sighed and responded with a frown, "You're the one who's staying in the most obvious place for Gin to look for you!" Subaru frowned, watching them. "Are you alright then, Amontillado?"

"Fine. I just had to-" She looked up at Subaru. "Uh, who's this, you guys?" Okiya blinked. Of course she doesn't know me... She might not even know that I'm supposed to be dead as well. "Ah, this is Sh-"

"Subaru... Subaru Okiya. I'm living in Kudou-kun's house while he's away on cases. I came for a testimony on a case I was involved in, and the three of us met up." He didn't know why he was lying, but something about the setup seemed off. Even if it was Erru, a possible ten years working for the black organization and being promoted to a named member could have changed her alignment... Natake took the ratty book from her bag and opened it, flattening the spine and covers against the desk for easier reading, and scanned a page. "So, you two, why're you hanging out here instead of finishing the case?"

Hattori was the first to respond. "Ah, this isn't a simple open and shut murder case... If we reveal the person responsible for leaking the information, they're likely to become a threat to the Black Organization, and we risk putting them in danger."

Natake shook her head. "And if you DON'T, there's no telling what the boss will pull! He hasn't even told Gin or Vodka what this 'prize' he's dangling in front of you and Masumi is, and frankly I don't want to find out! I may be technically one of them, but my spirit's allied with the police..."

"Who are you?" Natake looked up, confused by Subaru's question. When she said nothing, he added, "You haven't outrightly told us your name... just let us assume your identity is the one we believe... Is that because you're being careful, or because you don't know who you're supposed to be?" 

Natake sighed and folded her hands under her chin. "Alright, alright... It's me, Erru... I'm wearin' this disguise so they won't know my age, and I gotta be brief, since I need to head back before Amuro-san realizes I'm gone... I survived an encounter with the Black Organization ten years ago, got away from the group, and waited it out to let the FBI think I wasn't coming back. I figured that was the only way to get the Organization to believe it. Then I did up this disguise, introduced myself under a fake name, and joined up... Happy now, Subaru-san?"

Subaru nodded. "Quite. So tell me again, who are you?" Natake recoiled. "What do you mean?! I'm-!" Hattori jumped in with a quick interjection. "You called me by my actual name! Natake's been callin' me Bakkatori all day, ya know."

"And that book... Natake would never damage her favorite book like that," Shinichi added. "She opened it just enough to read!" Subaru finished with a sigh, "She was also allergic to most makeups, even irritated by contacts, and would never be able to wear a latex mask like the one you've got on. Also, she'd be only five foot three at the most, and you're easily two inches taller without high heels... so, who are you?"

Natake stood. "You guys are good," she said in a voice that wasn't her own. "Although I know more about the little lamb than you do, cool guy." Shinichi blinked as Vermouth removed her mask. "I guess you guys win this round, but you know, it might be better if you forget about Amontillado. The boss would appreciate not having to spill any blood, especially that of an FBI lamb, so soon after her initiation~"

Subaru stood and grabbed Vermouth's shoulder. "Where is she?!" The woman gave a well-lipsticked smile and pressed her .357 magnum against his shirt, leaning in to whisper to him in English, "That's a secret, Rye..." He released her arm in shock as she turned to go, concealing her loaded weapon and waving as though to friends. "We'll meet later, Cool Guy~"
  • Upvote 1