Detective Conan World
Miss Smiles

Chinese classroom

Yes, we'll learning Chinese! Well everyone feel it's difficult to learn, but it's not difficult when we have writing demonstration!

Here's the link:

http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/character-stroke-order.php?searchChinese=1&zi=%E6%83%B3

It's easier and you can learn. What you can do is to search any Chinese word and paste it in field of search, and it will show up with animation.

As you will notice, the stroke usually start on first box. So let's imagine the word is like a world with imaginary line, and you get the idea of writing. :)

You will notice each word consist of strokes and form, and the direction of writing usually start from left to right, or top left to right.

To learn writing Chinese, you're likely to refer the link and learn how to write.

If wish to read more about strokes, wikipedia provide in depth about it.

(Read for references :) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Written_Chinese#Strokes

Reading

When you first read Chinese, their Chinese phonics originate from China and Taiwan. You may see two types: Simplified and traditional Chinese.

Citizens from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and other Chinese communities practiced writing traditional way.

Citizens from Singapore, China and Malaysia practiced writing simplified version.

I was born to write simplified way in Singapore. :) Traditional Chinese has more strokes, and simplified Chinese was developed to make characters faster to write.

There are two forms and you have a choice to read one of them based on your preferences or continued studying one of Chinese you have learn before.

Their vowels look similar to English but they are based on traditional Chinese, and was used in simplified Chinese writing.

A, E, I, O, U

Why I take out those 'vowels'? They are usually mark above with a sign for character's readings! These are the pattern and it is important if writing phonics.

There are four tones in each 'vowels'

first tone, high level, mā (unstressed)

second tone, rising, má (light, unstressed) e.g. protege. *te

third tone, falling rising, mǎ (stress a bit, not too much)

fourth tone, falling, mà (stressed)

Words

Like English, there are many common words and it also apply in Chinese.

I thought we already have something similar... :mellow: And I think we got three classrooms now... :mellow:

Not necessarily true!

I've noticed that the other two Chinese forums do not teach you Chinese.

In the other Chinese forums, it only has people chatting in Chinese and simply translating what they said.

I haven't seen anyone say anything about how to read, write, or say Chinese.

However, in this forum, Miwako-chan talks a little bit about how to read, write, and say Chinese. She also provides some helpful links.

Thus, I think the idea of this forum is most helpful out of all three because it actually helps people who don't know anything about the Chinese language learn it a bit.

...Just to..uh..correct you there, Emiko-chan (or is it KKLT-chan? xP) a bit...there are actually only two Chinese classrooms..xP One is a Chinese CHATroom..xDD..xP

Just pointing that out..xP

Can I have a random question ?

How do we distinguish between these two sounds "z" and "c" ? I'm doing an exercise where you have to tell the difference. But I failed =_= They just sound the same to me =_=

Can I have a random question ?

How do we distinguish between these two sounds "z" and "c" ? I'm doing an exercise where you have to tell the difference. But I failed =_= They just sound the same to me =_=

Hmmm if you wanna really differentiate,,,

zi sounds like this: dzzz... (softer start)

ci sounds like this: tsss... (stronger start)

:P I wonder if you understand? :P

Hmmm if you wanna really differentiate,,,

zi sounds like this: dzzz... (softer start)

ci sounds like this: tsss... (stronger start)

:P I wonder if you understand? :P

I know. But it's still difficult when you to have to listen to others saying and guess which sound that is =__= But thanks anyway ^_^

the phonic of c is voiceless. z isn't. KKLT, I think it's about phonic's term she ask for.

Thanks for the explanation. But I'm a "he" btw :P

I know. But it's still difficult when you to have to listen to others saying and guess which sound that is =__= But thanks anyway ^_^

Thanks for the explanation. But I'm a "he" btw :P

Yea I know its difficult XD

Well you'll get used to it after a while :P

Maybe you wanna listen to google translate and practice :P

EDITS:

z sound: 匝,兹,租,笮,坐,增,最。

c sound: 擦,疵,粗, 册, 错,曾, 翠。

Try putting this in google translate and listen to the difference :P Well I don't know if it helps but you can try :P

okay we'll proceed to lesson 2! I've notice everyone is fluent in Chinese or either have interest to learn, and I'll be your teacher teaching Chinese! Throughout the lesson I'll be teaching phonics mainly, as we're using computer :P We're going to use keyboard.

There's no homework. If you're interested to learn how to write, copy and paste the word you wish to learn in provided website.

http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/character-stroke-order.php?searchChinese=1&zi=%E6%83%B3

If you don't have writing aid for computer to type, check your computer control panel for languages before adding the widget. When there's none, you can use the tool from internet to type with website provided below:

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/ime.html

And you can paste the word into here for us to see what you type! :)

This lesson cover about phonetics Chinese often use to type on internet. First, let's look at the chart:

Chinese phonetics

You will notice there are many colour coding, as some form words such as: ba, pa.

You will see many words you don't understand, don't fret, those are words I will use in the lessons you bound to see them here matching with words.

There are phonics which stand alone to pronounce a word.

Letters: a, e, o

When we use four tones on selected letter, we create 12 words based on each tone together. The rule of pronouncing words: never change words' tone when pronounce a word. It does matters, Chinese will base on your pronunciation thinking of your sincerity when you chatting with them.

The list of letter which aligned down at far left are the initials. The list of letter above, spread across from left to right are finals. When you pressed, you will see four tones appear on each phonics. But computer typing don't recognize tone, typing won't be hard.

Computer recognize Chinese characters, and locals updated with tools I've mentioned above. :)

Always make sure your computer can recognize Chinese words, check the setting in control panel or use and make sure everything is in place. :D

Writing words with hands are optional, but I strongly recommended it as you able to recognize when typing phonics on computer. Chinese character you want will show up in the list after you type the phonics, sometimes you have to scroll down and find words.

If preparation is done, you can start to test out the words:

我的名字是____。

(When typing each phonics, scroll down to find exact character one by one.)

wo de ming zi shi ______

My name is ______ 。

You can use the chart to hear how it was sound like by matching words:

wo(third tone) de(BPMF) ming(second) zi(BPMF) shi(fourth)

How are you going to teach vocab? I know a fair bit of Chinese, but people who don't know Chinese would need a word by word explanation. I deleted the Chinese keyboard from my itouch so I can't type the characters right now, but you should explain the words themselves. Helpful starts are 'wo', 'ni', 'hao' (XD), 'de' 'ming' 'zi' 'shi'... Because otherwise, they don't know which word means what.