Detective Conan World
Rukia Kurosaki

A scene from "Blood Feud" (Not the final scene, sorry. It would spoil the whole ending)

Leis sat perched on the edge of a chair, hunched over and deep in thought. Ever since the spell cast to save her life ten years ago had been lifted, many memories, pleasant or dreadful, had returned to her. For a moment she brushed her short black hair away and touched the white bandage that hid her right eye from the world, hid it from those she cared about. When the demon Jiohtse had controlled Elden Orehnia, when he'd declared war on her family and all Nuragian elves, that was the year her mother had disappeared. So far, the way she had died was unknown, but Leis intended to wring the information out of Jiohtse before she killed him for his crimes. And supposedly his son is still alive as well, she thought. I'd like to know how he survived the attack on his base 3 years ago. She abandoned these thoughts at the sound of wood scraping the floor as it was pulled back.

Rhayne settled himself in the chair beside Leis', muttering a greeting. She nodded in acknowledgement of his presence and breathed, "You look bothered by something. Did you dream you father's past again?" Leis was half-joking, but added grimly, "Or was it the outcome of our mission that you saw?" Rhayne simply replied,"Neither. It's just that... I have a question. Why do you cover your eye when you can see perfectly fine?" Leis shifted, not believing what she'd heard. "What?" she laughed. "I saw your gaze follow your assassination target in Crohaven. You were disguised with a spell, so I can't say you have no scars, but I know you hinder your own sight with that bandage."

Leis hadn't realized he had been paying attention that day. She frowned and muttered, "You may tell no one." Then she began to speak, slowly at first. But her words took on a deep strength when she reached the second sentence. " Let me tell you first about the sword we are seeking. Davrim Shayar was a mortal demon, born to the pure-blooded rulers of his kingdom. As such his eyes were blood red and he had strong magic capabilities. As he grew amidst the rage of the Great Daemon War, he became sickened by the hatred and bloodshed between the humans and his brethren. His dearest friend, Mahayar Orehnia, was a human, and they defended each other's pride and welfare through the years. When he married a local woman -A demoness of his parents' choosing- he forged a blade called, "D'niren Amos" or demonslayer. It could kill even a seemingly immortal demon, and he hid the weapon from his comrades who would shun him for creating such a thing.

"When his only child, a daughter, was born, he named her Latia, and bequeathed unto her the blade. He died defending Mahayar, and was honored by many, but not before he put an odd enchantment on the weapon: Only a female related to him by blood could use the sword against an enemy. From then on, every daughter descended from Davrim could use the blade, and had one daughter who succeeded them. But twenty years ago the demoness Karina Shayar fell in love with the Prince of a Kingdom she had visited on business, and they eventually married.

"Nineteen years ago they had a son. The first male child in the Shayar family in many generations was born with his mother's raven black hair, but though he should have been half demon, had gained none of her power. His eyes were the violet color of his father's, and he could cast no spells. Two years later Karina bore a daughter who inherited her mother's demon blood as well as her father's elven genetics. Unbeknownst to the father of these children, Davrim Shayar had left something else to his daughter: All his hidden anger and hatred, morphed into darkness by years of hiding within his mind and soul, was transferred to her at birth. Over the years, every demoness born to a Shayar mother has had all the darkness in her ancestor's hearts trapped deep inside themselves. This was symbolized by their Jet black hair, which they all grew past their waists. Karina's evil overtook her before it was given to her daughter, and she eventually disappeared into nothingness. But the child was only half-demon, and so was able to suppress the taint through her elven blood. This girl, if she still lives, is the only one able to use the sword we are looking for. But if Jiohtse finds it before we destroy it, he may very well use the tainted magic it holds to destroy you and your brother. "

WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD

Leis sighed as she finished speaking, and Rhayne muttered, "You haven't answered my question." His comrade and teacher smiled slightly and said slowly, "You don't waste a minute." Then she gripped the bandage over her eye, unraveling it and dropping the bundle softly into her lap. Rhayne's orange eyes followed the motion slowly, and he noticed no scar or wound. "My full name," Leis said as she opened her right eye. "Is Leis Shayar." Rhayne stared at the crimson iris of Leis' right eye, asking, "You're a half-demon?" She nodded curtly and added, "You must never tell Lundin. He doesn't remember mother, and I will not involve him in this." "But, doesn't he already know?" Rhayne inquired. "After mother's disappearance my father realized the threat Elden posed while controlled by Jiohtse, and removed every sign that she existed to keep him from discovering our ancestry and Demonslayer's power. Although I'd grown it out for 5 years to look like my mother's, my hair was cut to avoid resemblance to the Shayar family, and my eye was hidden under the guise of an injury. He did everything to hide the bloodline that ends with me." Before the two could continue their conversation, there was a sharp knock at the main hall door, and Leis stood to answer it, leaving Rhayne with questions lingering unspoken behind his lips.

• Upvote 5

I'm really glad you guys like it. I know my dad doesn't get the story (Or my fascination with Japan and anime) but I got worried for a while about the audience I'm writing for. I hope the publisher feels the same. *Dreads sending the manuscript*