I Challenge the Detectives of DCW!

Was it murder?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who Killed Kirio-san?

• It was suicide- he did it himself.
    • His brother Tsuji killed him.
    • His friend Nakura killed him.
    • His girlfriend Miki killed him.
    • It was an outside job. None of the suspects could have done it.
    • I did it. :D

Any memeber who can solve this case will recieve a reputation point and another prize of their choosing; (Another rep. point, choose a topic for a story, extra clues on my next case, etc.)

Case File 2: This morning a Beika City resident returned home from a business trip to find his brother dead in their apartment. Hotel personnel had to unlock the room for him when his sibling didn't answer his greeting. The deceased, Hamoto Kirio, was hanging in his bedroom by a homemade noose. On the desk beside the bed was a suicide note, and an empty bottle of sleeping pills was found. Police believe he attempted take his own life with an overdose of medicine, but he didn't have enough, and when that failed he hung himself. The time of death was discovere to be around 9:30 pm yesterday. Despite the heavy evidence, a detective suspects foul play.

Suspects:

Hamoto Tsuji, the victim's brother.

Motive: Kirio-san was an avid gambler who spent all his earnings at Pachinko parlors and racetracks. When he was kicked out of his apartment, unable to pay the rent, he moved in with his brother. Tsuji-san was patient and even helped the deceased get a job in the area, but Kirio spent his last five months living off of his brother and never once paying a share of rent.

Alibi: He was on a business trip from two days ago until he began his drive home around 10 this morning. From 8 to midnight last night he was out playing mahjong with friends from work. He even left a voicemail on his brother's home phone. Afterwards, he returned to his hotel room alone and slept. In the morning he checked out of the hotel and headed back to the apartment.

Ootori Nakura, who lives in the same apartment as the brothers.

Motive: He once dated the deceased's girlfriend, but still remained friends with both Kirio and her. He gains nothing monetarily by Kirio's death, but often argued with him about his spending habits.

Alibi: He works with Tsuji-san, and therefore was on the same business trip an hour away from home. From 9-11 pm last night he was alone in his hotel room watching television. He left a voicemail message on the house-phone as well, and left this morning when the police called and told him what had happened.

Itsurio Miki, Kirio's girlfriend.

Motive: She was happy to lend her boyfriend money, but believed he was spending it on beer. Her father had died of alcohol poisoning, and in an arguement she reportedly shouted, "If you become an alcoholic, I'll seriously kill you!"

Alibi: She was at home with her mother from 5 pm to when she heard the news of Kirio's death this morning. She called his home phone and left a voicemail as well.

Facts and Clues:

- The Voicemail messages:

1."Kirio? This is Nakura. -background. "This detective has solved endless cases, and now comes his challenge."- I left my wallet with my cash at home, so please leave it on the counter for me. Thanks." (9:23 p.m.)

2. "Oi, Aniki (Bro), it's Tsuji. Don't forget, tonight is the premier of the new detective show, so please record it for me. Thanks.-in the background. "Tsuji." "Guys, shut up."- Oh, and remember not to have Miki-chan over later, I accidentally used the cleaner she's allergic to on the sheets and sofa." (9:31 p.m.)

.3. "Hi Kirio-chan, how are you? Call me back later so we can talk about our date for tomorrow.-background. "Miki, are you calling that boyfriend of yours again?"- Bye Kiri-kun." (9:44)

- He was found to have consumed a large amount of Anacin Antihistamines (Sleeping pills).

- The door was locked from the inside, there are no windows, and a stool was pushed agaist the door on the inside.

- The lock is one inside the doorknob. (The type that prevents you from turning the doorknob at all) and is locked from the inside by turning a (tab). The only key was found in the deceased man's pocket.

- a strand of fishing line was found on the floor of the apartment living room. (Next to the sofa)

- Nakura's wallet was on the counter, and he confirmed that everything was there.

- There were two pieces missing from the cake that Nakura had bought the day before he left for the trip.

- Miki was found to be allergic to the cleaning substance used on the couch, curtains, and sheets.

- The show was not recorded on the dvr.

• Upvote 2

Wow, Shin-chan!! You already have a new one. :D I'm impressed. This one is... Interesting. Let's see...

The one thing that I think is suspicious so far is that in the first message, they're talking about a detective. I'm assuming that he was watching the detective show. The brother later called and asked him to record the show, but I believe the show was already partly or completely over. So my first suspect is the brother. He also called right around when the death happened. Also, it's said that the only key was in the victim's possession. That's suspicious. I mean, wouldn't the brother who is more level-headed have it? And if he arrived home on after the business trip and the victim wasn't there, how was he supposed to get in? Just wait? If the culprit was the brother, he'd want to keep other people away for a while. If he used the cleaner she was allergic to on purpose, it would keep her away. Another thing is, if he knew the one she was allergic to, wouldn't he realize that after washing it with one thing or partly done washing something? Instead, the cleaner was found on the couch, curtains and sheets. I believe the brother wanted nobody there while he committed the crime. If the girlfriend tried to visit, she'd have to leave because she's allergic. The neighbor and the brother were both on a business trip. I suppose either one of them might have done it, but I'd say it was the brother. If it was the neighbor, then he could have recorded the sound the TV was making when he left the message. I'm not sure about how the trick was used, but I'll look into it again later.

I was also wondering this: How long did it take to drive back to the apartment from the business trip and what the time was the body discovered at?

... ... ... Is it bad that I have neither heads or tails of this case? Hmm... I think it can't be suicide because the sleeping pills probably knocked him out, or at least made him tired enough to not be able to hang himself or think properly... I think it might be Nakura. He could have slipped the victim the sleeping pills, and put on the television from the deceased's apartment. That way, he can record the message, and then hang the victim. Maybe the same trick that Heiji demonstrated the first time he appeared was used... Nobody said anything about an inner pocket. icon_twisted.gif But it's fishy (LOL) that the line would be seen so easily. Perhaps that's a trick in itself? And it's strange that there is only one key to the apartment. Why doesn't the brother have one? Maybe the sleeping pills were put in the cake! ^^ I'm still unconfident with my theories though..

You guys have done well, but neither deduction is perfect yet. Here's a clue. The key the dead man had was the one to his own room, not the apartment. And the type of lock (Mentioned in the file) is an extremely important part of the case.

Actually there is no difference in japanese suffixes of gender. -san is everyday use, while -chan used more affectionate and used for friends, family, etc. -kun is used for boys and young men, but can also be used on girls and young women.

Also to answer your question. No, I haven't yet, but I'm close.

• Upvote 1

Nakura did it. After his meeting that ended at 8:00 he went back to the apartment. When he was in the apartment he turned the TV to the new detective show. He made coffee for himself and the victim. He slipped sleeping pills into the victim's coffee. Once the victim was knocked out, he made a call to the apartment. In the voicemail he said he left his wallet behind and to leave it on the counter, he also had the detective show on during the call so that he could say he was watching TV. After the call he put his wallet onto the counter. He then took the victim and hanged him in his own bedroom. After hanging the victim he thought of a way to lock the door from the outside. He started to the lock the door just enough that he could still leave the room without it catching. He also attached fishing line to the stool so that he could pull on it and it would lean onto the lock. Then using the paper that came with the cake he folded it and placed it between the lock and the frame. After closing the door he pulled on the fishing line allowing the stool to lock the room. Afterward he turned the TV off and dropped the fishing line as he was putting it into his pocket and left back to the hotel, where he continued to watch TV, or possibly some other activity. Until he was called.

• Upvote 1