Vehicles in Detective Conan
|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on July 08, 2012|
 Protagonists' vehicles
 Agasa's Volkswagen Beetle
Hiroshi Agasa drives a classic yellow Volkswagen beetle Type 1, and has owned it for at least ten years. Agasa's license plate is 新宿 500, ひ 1-64 (Shinjuku 500, Hi 1-64). The plate kana and number are a pun on "Hiroshi" (Hi-i-ro-shi). Possibly the most frequently appearing car in Detective Conan, Agasa often takes the Detective Boys in the beetle to various interesting places or on camping trips, which are inevitably spoiled by a mystery of some sort. A recurring joke in Detective Conan is that Agasa's beetle frequently breaks down, often while he and the Detective Boys are on a trip, and then a case occurs wherever they stop. Cases where the beetle has broken down include:
- Contact with the Black Organization
- Mountain Witch's Cutlery
- The Blue Spark of Hate (out of gas)
- A Dangerous Party of Two
- The Secret Played by the Diary
- Detectives' Nocturne
 Yukiko's Jaguar E-Type
Yukiko Kudo drives a Series 2 Jaguar E-Type in Shinichi Kudo's New York Case. According to Yukiko, it has a 256 horsepower engine and a Le Mans winning chassis. Shinichi jokingly refers to it as a "British Princess." Yukiko is a fast and reckless driver, which is perhaps the reason it was sent in for serious repairs that lasted for almost a month a year before the current timeline. She also got pulled over for going 40 mph (64.37 km/h) over the speed limit soon after she got it back. It has a New York state license plate with the number YUK-910 which is a pun on her name Yuk(iko) Ku-do (9-10). Notably, it is right-hand-drive, which means it must have been privately imported to America. It's possible that Yukiko brought it with her from Japan.
 Jirokichi's Harley Davidson Electra Glide
Jirokichi drives what is likely a navy blue and silver Electra Glide Harley Davidson motorcycle with a sidecar, as seen in the Blue Wonder heist. His dog Lupin typically rides in the passenger sidecar. The exact year and model is undetermined. However, due to his wealth, it's possible that he had one custom made.
 Masumi's Yamaha Artesia XT400
Masumi Sera rides a Yamaha Artesia XT400 motorcycle. The Artesia is a reference to Masumi's Mobile Suit Gundam namesake, Sayla Mass, whose real name is Artesia Som Deikun. The bike explodes and is destroyed in the movie Dimensional Sniper. The plate number in Dimensional Sniper is 2 新宿, ま 5-31 (2 Shinjuku, Ma 5-31).
 Okiya's Subaru 360
Subaru Okiya fittingly drives a Subaru 360. The Subaru 360 is a very small and cheap car, and features suicide doors. Okiya claims his car has some unique quirks that make it difficult to handle, but he may have been lying because he wanted to be the driver. The license plate number is 88 新宿 す 20-80. In the manga, his car's color remains white in all of its appearances, but in the anime it changed from white to red.
 Eri's Mini Cooper
 Baya's Cobra
 Jii's Vanden Plas Princess 1100
 Fusae's Jaguar Mark 2
 Japanese law enforcement vehicles
 Sato's Mazda RX-7
Miwako Sato drives a red colored series 6 Mazda (Ẽfini) RX-7 that used to be owned by her father, Masayoshi Sato, making it over 18 years old.. She uses it for police work, but it is unmarked; when she needs to use police lights, she attaches a roof mounted rotating beacon to the top of the car. The RX-7 used to be white, but she repainted it to make it more visible in foggy conditions after some accidents occurred in a popular drag racing area. It features prominently in the Silver White witch case. A combination of the tire squealing and Sato's shrieking gives her car a characteristic eerie sound when she drifts. Sato's license plate is 新宿 300, ゆ 9-01 (Shinjuku 300, Yu 9-01).
 Takagi's Nissan Tiida Latio
 Takagi's Skyline ER34
In the original anime and movie, Takagi drives a Skyline ER34 His license plate number is 新宿 33, た 7-25(Shinjuku 33, Ta 7-25).
 Chiba's Fiat 500
 Uehara's Honda Accord
Yui Uehara drives an eighth generation Honda Accord. At one point, Ai Haibara and Hiroshi Agasa thought they were criminals because they saw some bullet holes and dried blood left behind from a firefight that Yui and Kansuke Yamato participated in.
 Black Organization vehicles
 Gin's Porsche 356A
Gin drives a black Porsche 356A. The 356A is an old classic German car (produced 1955–59) and is quite rare. Both Conan's allies and the FBI know that Gin often drives this model, and that its presence signals danger. According to Haibara, it is Gin's favorite car and he refers to it as a "German black rain frog" in reference to the Opel Laubfrosch. The Porsche features a flat engine that makes a characteristic idling noise which Conan has used to identify it over his listening devices. Earlier in the manga, Gin often drove it personally, but as the series has progressed more often Vodka chauffeurs Gin around. The license plate has never been shown in the manga, but in the anime it has the license plate numbers 新宿 34, あ 48-69 in its first appearance, and then later 新宿 54, み 43-69 (Shinjuku 54, Mi 43-69) or 43-68.
 Chianti's Dodge Viper
 Vermouth's Harley-Davidson V-Rod
 Rei's Mazda RX-7
Rei Furuya drives a white colored Mazda FD RX-7. The RX-7 was T-boned when Rei intentionally maneuvered it in front of another car being driven by a hostage taker in order to stop her. While the side doors were badly damaged, it otherwise seemed to survive the impact without too much other damage. His RX-7 is a reference to the white Gundam that the Mobile Suit Gundam character Amuro Ray piloted, the RX-78-2. His license plate number is 新宿 330, と 73-10.
 Vodka's Porsche 914
 Chianti's Ducati 1098
 Araide's Toyota Prius (XW10)
While disguised as Tomoaki Araide, Vermouth drove a 1st generation Prius while following Jodie Starling and Ai Haibara to the shipping yard. This car was destroyed when Vermouth blew up its gas tank with a well placed shot. It is unclear whether this car belonged to Tomoaki Araide or Vermouth; if so, this may not be their only car because Vermouth, still disguised as Araide, drove a different car while passing a restaurant where Sato was having an omiai.
 Vermouth's De Tomaso Pantera
 American law enforcement vehicles
 Shuichi's Chevrolet C-1500
 Shuichi's Ford Mustang
Since Movie 20, Shuichi has started driving a red Ford Mustang with two white racing stripes down the center his plate is 新宿 300, た 12-02(Shinjuku 300, Ta 12-02).
 James' Mercedes CLK320
Although James Black is the owner of this silver-white Mercedes CLK320, Jodie Starling often uses it as a replacement for her car which was stolen by Vermouth in the Halloween Party Case. The roof is retractable. If featured prominently in Black Organization vs. FBI where it and other FBI cars were used to box in Kir, and was driven wildly but skillfully by Andre Camel to reach a waterway in order to dispose of a bomb in Clash of Red and Black. In the anime and movies, his plate is 新宿 300, さ 80-23 (Shinjuku 300, Sa 80-23)
 Jodie's Peugeot 607
Jodie Starling's Peugeot 607 was stolen by Vermouth after the end of Head-to-Head Match with the Black Organization: A Dual Mystery on a Full Moon Night.
 Hidemi's Citroën BX
 FBI's Toyota HiAce/Regius Ace
In the anime, the three vans (Toyota HiAce/Regius Ace) have the license plate numbers 新宿 400 や 5-10 (Shinjuku 400, Ya 5-10), 新宿 400 さ 13-07 (Shinjuku 400, Sa 13-07), 新宿 400 た 20-04 (Shinjuku 400, Ta 20-04). Is some scenes, the letters and numbers are inconsistent, as is the license plate of the van transporting Rena.
 FBI's Volvo S40
In the anime, there are two cars used to box in Kir's motorcycle. One is a light blue Volvo S40, license plate number 新宿 300, そ 10-34 (Shinjuku 300, So 10-34).
 FBI's Lexus GS
In the anime, there are two cars used to box in Kir's motorcycle. One is a dark blue Lexus GS, license plate 48-62.
 FBI's Mercedes CLK320
In Movie 18: Dimensional Sniper, Jodie, Camel, and James cornered the titular sniper in a black Mercedes CLK320 convertible, and the car was shot numerous times for their trouble. The license plate was the same as the usually-seen white Mercedes CLK320 that James owns (新宿 300, さ 80-23 (Shinjuku 300, Sa 80-23), suggesting the FBI switched the plates temporarily (the white CLK320 has the plate later in the movie).
 Isuzu Cubic bus
In Episode 230-231, a hijacked Isuzu Cubic bus runs through Beika and has a stop that includes Beika Park. In the anime it is enroute to the Beika City Building. The bus number appears to be W707, and the license plate number is 53-91.
 Nissan X-Trail
 Toichi's Car
Toichi Kuroba has a car (presumably a 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Series 3) inside of the secret room used for storing Kaitou Kid's items.
 Not yet identified
 Hidemi's Motorcycle
The license plate is 96-07 which is a Black Organization related pun: "Black Rena" (Ku-ro Re-na).
 Heiji's Motorcycle
(Suggestions include Kawasaki and Suzuki RMX, SMX, or DRZ)
Heiji is a dangerous driver, and has almost got run over a couple times. Movie 3 and 7 are the main appearances of Heiji with his vehicle.
 Snake's car
 Shiratori's car
Suggestions include Toyota Crown JZS155 and Lexus LS400 Toyota crown.
 Kusuda's Nissan
Is silver grey and has the license plate number 12 17 in the anime. The Tokyo Metropolitan police took it into custody and analyzed it when they found the bloodstain made by Kusuda committing suicide.
 Yukiko's Motorcycle
 Minor Character/Suspect or Oneshot Vehicles
|Murderer, Shinichi Kudo||Kogoro Mouri||White Toyota Crown Royal S180 (2005)|
|Murderer, Shinichi Kudo||Gunpei Furuki||Silver Mercedes Benz CLS Class (C219)|
|Murderer, Shinichi Kudo||Riko Mizuhashi||Yellow Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V (CT9A EVO5)|
|Murderer, Shinichi Kudo||Atsuo Chuda||Blue Subaru Impreza (GDB-C)|
|Murderer, Shinichi Kudo||Futoshi Shimodori||White Lexus GS300 (S160)|
|Movie 13||Tsutomu Ryuzaki||Alfa Romeo Brera|
|Movie 18||Hitoshi Moriyama||Blue BMW Series 3|
 Cases featuring cars as a central element
Many cases center around cars. These include:
- Ayumi-chan Kidnapping Case
- The Truth Behind the Car Explosion Case
- The Coffee Shop Truck's Wild Entrance Case
- The Super Car's Trap
- Megure's Sealed Secret
- The Mysterious Passenger
- The Lucky Cigar Case
- The Four Porsches
- Find the Buttock's Mark
- The Car Stunt's Utmost Limit
- The Uncontrollable Rental Car!
- Red, White, Yellow, and the Detective Boys
- What She Truly Wants to Ask
- The Blue Spark of Hate
- The Witch Enshrouded by Fog
- Intersection of Fear
- Co-Investigating with a First Love
- Conan and Ebizo's Kabuki Jūhachiban Mystery
- The majority of the cars in Japan have the steering wheel on the right side because Japan is left-hand traffic country; however, many of the vehicles driven by the FBI and the Black Organization have the steering wheel on the left. While this might be expected for the FBI because they originate from the United States which is a right-hand traffic country, this does not make sense for the Black Organization which has a significant base of operations in Japan. This is probably because left-hand drive vehicles are considered more prestigious than right-hand drive vehicles in Japanese culture because they are typically imported. This is justified for Gin's car as he said it was brought from overseas.
 See also
 External Links
- ^ Manga Volume 55, File 7, page 10: "Dawn"
- ^ Movie 15: Quarter of Silence
- ^ "old-volkswagen-beetle (5).jpg". Volkswagen Cars Review. http://www.news-autosfocus.info/images/old-volkswagen-beetle%20%285%29.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "2893.jpg". Yaplog.jp. http://img.yaplog.jp/img/09/pc/a/k/i/aki-life-zzz/2/2893.jpg. Retrieved on 2012-01-01.
- ^ Manga Volume 34, File 11, page 9: "Golden Apple"
- ^ "a_1966_Jaguar_E-Type_Coupe.jpg". Serious Wheels. http://www.seriouswheels.com/images/a_1966_Jaguar_E-Type_Coupe.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "Photos > Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide side car > 2003 > Chicago Motorcycle Show > Exhibitions >". InnerSource. http://photos.innersource.com/group/7260/Harley-Davidson-Ultra-Classic-Electra-Glide-side-car. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "8800810B3010022400100.jpg". GooBike.com. http://picture.goobike.com/880/8800810/J/8800810B3010022400100.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-21.
- ^ "Introducing the 1968 Subaru 360: Cheap and Ugly". subaruofkeene.com. http://pictures.dealer.com/s/subaruofkeenesne/0216/82f08d044046387200e90e233e25c4ae.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-12-31.
- ^ "1964 Shelby Cobra 289 at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance". conceptcarz.com. http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Shelby/64-AC_Cobra_Rdstr-DV_08_AI_04.jpg. Retrieved on 2012-03-26.
- ^ "1965 Vanden Plas Princess 1100 (JJ)". hk11_yah. http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2113/2320745683_8614d6fca3_z.jpg?zz=1. Retrieved on 2012-8-24.
- ^ Manga Volume 63: File 9-11 (661-663), pg 9: "The Silver White Witch"
- ^ "800px-Mazda-RX-7-FD.jpg". Wikipedia. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Mazda-RX-7-FD.jpg/800px-Mazda-RX-7-FD.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ Anime 499
- ^ "porsche_outlaw_356_1.jpg". Drift Session. http://www.porscheperfect.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/porsche_outlaw_356_1.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "viper3.jpg". ASPNerd.com. http://www.aspnerd.com/jeff/images/viper/viper3.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "f_34086353_1.jpeg". OLX. http://images02.olx.com/ui/2/66/53/f_34086353_1.jpeg. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
- ^ Manga Volume 76, File 5 (800), pg 13: "When Objects Collide"
- ^ The RX-78-2 Gundam itself used to be more white in the original animation, but late in production toy manufacturers requested for it to be more colorful. Although the animation was changed, the dialogue was not changed leading to many references to the original mostly white coloration. One example is Amuro's Zeon nickname the "White Devil".
- ^ "fd3s_mazda_rx7_02.jpg". Drift Session. http://www.driftsession.com/drifting_cars/fd3s_mazda_rx7/fd3s_mazda_rx7_02.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ "1353_8117_large+gmc_c1500+passenger_front_side_view_billet_grille.jpg". Sport Truck.com. http://image.sporttruck.com/f/9419361/1353_8117_large+gmc_c1500+passenger_front_side_view_billet_grille.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-13.
- ^ File 601, pg 4: "Camouflage"
- ^ 498
- ^ "84050z+2001_mercedes_benz_c320_sedan+left_front_view.jpg". EuroTuner. http://www.benzphotocar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Mercedes-Benz-CLK-designo-by-Giorgio-Armani.png. Retrieved on 2011-14-13.
- ^ "Citroen BX.jpg". Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez. 2006-03-05. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Citroen_BX.jpg. Retrieved on 2012-08-15.
- ^ "Volvo-S40-14-46QXWT4019-1600x1200.jpg". carw.co. http://www.carw.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Volvo-S40-14-46QXWT4019-1600x1200.jpg. Retrieved on 2011-11-27.
- ^ "alfa-spider-10.jpg". classiceuropeancars.co.uk. http://www.classiceuropeancars.co.uk/classic-cars-details.html?prod=alfa-spider-graduate. Retrieved on 2014-4-27.
- ^ Episode 96: "The Cornered Famous Detective! Two Big Murder Cases"