The Boss of the Black Organization
|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on April 2, 2013|
|English name:||That Person|
|Date of birth:||Unknown|
|Occupation:||Black Organization Boss|
|Japanese voice:||None as of yet|
The mysterious boss, respectfully called Ano Kata (あの方 That Person) by his/her subordinates, is the leader of the Black Organization. The true identity and gender of the boss is still unknown, with only a few insignificant facts about them revealed in the manga's 20 year (and counting) run. Conan Edogawa, the FBI, and the CIA wish to uncover the boss and cause the destruction of the Black Organization.
 Background to protect the Organization and advance its interests. The boss communicates to subordinates by text messages. The boss's contact mail address follows the tune of the children song Nanatsu no Ko (七つの子 lit. Seven children?); the number is #969#6261. The boss is responsible for promoting agents and deciding on their code names. The FBI think that only a few of the highest ranking executive agents like Gin or Vermouth could lead them to the elusive boss.
Little is known about boss's personality. The boss appears to be fairly ruthless, willing to dispatch senior agents who have been loyal to the Black Organization for many years for a single mistake. The boss is also described as overly cautious by Vermouth. Somehow, the boss can maintain loyalty and unity within the codenamed ranks despite many agents disliking or even outright wishing to murder certain others. The boss is known to give permission to agents who wish to pursue certain missions, such as Bourbon and Vermouth's plan to make sure Akai was truly dead.
The boss appears to be especially close to Vermouth who is described as "that person's favorite", much to the chagrin of her enemies and those who mistrust her. The boss is also close to Gin, who often acts as an intermediary between the boss and other agents. Gin usually takes the lead planning role in assassinations that the boss has ordered.
While the boss is likely highly intelligent, the boss has had several clear failures so far. Shuichi Akai (FBI), Rei Furuya and Scotch (Japanese secret police), and Hidemi Hondou (CIA) were all given codenames by the boss despite being spies, and Akai successfully fooled the boss into thinking he was killed. While most agents follow the boss's orders, some agents have acted contrary to the wishes of "that person". A plan that was intended to create an "acceptable reason" to eliminate Akemi Miyano backfired badly when Akemi's ability was underestimated. As a consequence, the lead researcher for the APTX 4869 project, Shiho Miyano, ultimately defected and escaped. The boss has also unintentionally allowed Vermouth to undermine the Organization by protecting someone she thinks is especially dangerous: Conan Edogawa.
 Plot overview
 Before the current storyline
In Clash of Red and Black, James Black explained to Conan that capturing a high ranking member of the Black Organization who could lead them to the boss was the goal of Shuichi Akai's spy mission. After three years of infiltration, the boss gave the undercover FBI agent the codename "Rye" and ordered him to work under Gin. The FBI's plan to capture Gin fell apart when Akai's true allegiance was uncovered due to a mistake made by Andre Camel. In the two years since the mission failure, the boss came to regard Akai as a "Silver Bullet" - someone who is especially dangerous to the Black Organization.
Prior to this confrontation with the Black Organization, it was unclear who or what authority commanded the codenamed agents of the Black Organization seen so far. Gin's discussion with Pisco about the planned murder of Shigehiko Nomiguchi revealed to Conan the existence of an authority figure referred to as "ano kata". Gin relayed that person's orders to Pisco: silence the politician Shigehiko Nomiguchi who was going to be arrested for bribery and use APTX 4869 if it was necessary. Pisco's act of murder was accidentally caught on camera, so the boss ordered Gin to kill Pisco. Later, the boss sent a message to Vermouth's phone informing her that her freedom was now being restricted and she was to return.
|“||It looks like I have given you too much freedom. Come back to my side, Vermouth.||„|
— The Boss orders Vermouth to return.
When Vermouth replied back, Conan noticed the sound of the keypresses of the boss's mail address sounded familiar. Conan later uncovers that the keypresses of the boss's mail address sounds like the beginning of the children's song Nanatsu no ko, and Conan deduces the boss's mail address is #969#6261. Haibara warns Conan of the danger of calling it, likening it to Pandora's box.
The boss orders the assassination of Yasuteru Domon, who is a politician hard on crime. The FBI believed the boss was hoping to nip a potential obstacle in the bud because Domon may have a chance of becoming the next Prime Minister. When Gin discovers that the agent Rena Mizunashi, aka Kir, has been captured and a tracking device planted on her clothing, he asks the boss for permission to kill the last person to stay at her house: Kogoro Mouri. The boss grants Gin permission to leave Domon and target Kogoro. The assassination fails because of Akai's interference. Akai's attack made it appear that it was really the FBI who captured Kir and planted the tracking device. Domon coincidentally gives up running for office as well, making assassinating him unnecessary.
While the Black Organization searches for Kir who is in FBI custody, Chianti asks why Rena Mizunashi was promoted in the first place. Gin reveals that it was because she had uncovered a spy and confronted him. The spy, Ethan Hondou, overpowered and tortured her for information, but Rena remained silent. Although completely crippled, Rena bit Ethan's wrist to force him to drop his gun, and then killed him. The bite marks and Ethan's recording device coincided with her story, so the boss promoted her to the codename Kir in recognition of her loyalty and sheer savageness.
In truth, the boss had been fooled. Ethan Hondou was Kir's father and they both are CIA spies infiltrating the Black Organization. Rena had made a mistake and was about to be uncovered as a spy. Ethan, who had prepared appropriately ahead of time in case this happened, told Rena to tell the Organization she discovered he was a spy and tried to confront him. Ethan then committed suicide after maiming himself and his daughter to make it appear like the story Ethan had just explained.
After the Black Organization retrieved Kir from the FBI, Gin is suspicious of how ineffective the FBI's plan was and that Akai didn't make a strong move. Gin thinks Akai is still hiding something and that doubt is relayed to the boss who concurs. The boss and Gin plan a test of Kir's loyalty. Meanwhile, an FBI agent becomes a suspect in a coincidental murder case. The Black Organization hears about it, and taking advantage of the FBI's distraction, Gin calls out Kir and tells her the boss's order. To regain the boss's trust, she is to call Akai out to meet with her and kill him. Kir meets with Akai at Raiha Pass and apparently kills him.
However, the boss has been tricked again. Akai and Kir conspired to fake Akai's death.
Bourbon is tasked with searching for the escaped scientist Shiho Miyano. After a misunderstanding, Vermouth informs Gin that she and Bourbon received the boss's permission to execute a second, secret mission. Bourbon verified Shuichi Akai's death by disguising as Akai and approaching his FBI colleagues.
Bourbon reveals that there is some sort of connection between Vermouth and the boss. As insurance, Bourbon arranged for her secret to be revealed to the whole Black Organization if something happens to him, and points out that the other members would be quite surprised if they knew the nature of the relationship.
 Relationships analysis
Vermouth is known as the boss's favorite member by the other members although the reason for the favoritism is unknown. In file 898, Bourbon reveals that there is some sort of connection between Vermouth and the Boss of the Black Organization, implying that her relationship with the boss goes further than merely being his/her favorite member. Bourbon also notes that he has arranged for her secret to be revealed to the whole Black Organization in case something happens to him, and points out that the other members would be quite surprised if they knew the nature of the relationship.
 Known canon information
Several details of the boss's personality and methods have been revealed in the manga canon.
- The boss uses the first few notes of the song Nanatsu no Ko to encode his/her mail address. The number is #969#6261, which was purposefully made non-functional by Gosho Aoyama to prevent prank mails. Unlike phone numbers, mail addresses don't have an area code. Ai Haibara reacts to the word Kurayoshi – a city in Tottori province, when she notices Conan had taken an interest., but Gosho Aoyama confirmed that Tottori and the Black Organization are unrelated in a 2014 interview (found in "Detective Conan Super Digest Book 60+").
- He/She uses alcoholic codenames for agents.
- The boss is very careful. Vermouth says, “The boss is always careful to the extreme. He’s the type to ruin the plan by overthinking it.”
- Vermouth is the boss’ favorite for an unknown reason and he/she allows her some degree of independence. It is also implied that they have a special relationship unbeknownst to most members of the organization.
- The boss thought Shuichi Akai could become the Black Organization’s silver bullet. In that regard he/she's more like Vermouth than Gin who doesn't believe a single person who can take the syndicate down in one shot exists.
 Gosho Aoyama's interviews
Gosho Aoyama has given several interviews concerning the boss.
 Primary sources
The following interviews have had their primary sources located and the information has been confirmed.
- During the 2014 "Let's talk with Aoyama Gosho-sensei day" event, Aoyama specified that the boss has appeared somewhere in the manga series, and is not Professor Agasa. However, it was not clarified whether the face of the boss has been shown.
- Aoyama specified that the full name of the boss has appeared somewhere in the manga.
- Leaked spoilers on daVinci for an upcoming issue that will be released in May indicate Gosho denied Yusaku Kudo is the boss.
The following interview accounts come from transcripts from fansites and blogs on the web and have not been independently verified. These are generally considered credible by fans.
- The Black Organization's formal name gives away the boss' name. "The Black Organization" is not the real name of the organization.
- Minami Takayama, Gosho Aoyama's former wife and Conan's voice actor, knows the boss' identity.
- Aoyama revealed that he didn't expect the Detective Conan series to last longer than three months. This indicates that the boss might have been hinted early in Detective Conan.
- The boss chooses the alcoholic codenames for the agents, but does not have one himself/herself.
- Gosho hinted that Eri Kisaki is unrelated to the Black Organization.
- The boss is not Conan Edogawa, Ran Mouri, Vermouth, or Ninzaburo Shiratori.
- The Black Organization uses clever codenames, passwords, etc. based on mysteries and history. If the boss is behind the naming scheme then perhaps the boss has an interest in detectives and mysteries.
- The operatives dress in black, which Akemi Miyano says is supposed to resemble crows. This is probably an expression of the boss’s dress code preferences and may be symbolic. The boss may use the crow themed phone number Nanatsu no ko for the same reason.
- If the FBI's assessment of the boss is correct, the boss is a forward thinker. The FBI believed he ordered the assassination of Yasuteru Domon who wasn't even part of the Diet yet because he was hard on crime and had a chance of becoming the next Prime Minister.
Fan speculation has led to many theories concerning "that person's" identity, ranging from Vodka to Yusaku Kudo to even one of the Detective Boys after having taken APTX 4869. In a "Who is That Person" fan poll in Shonen Sunday, Professor Agasa was ranked the most likely suspect, while Gin was voted in a Case Closed FUNimation community poll.
 See also
- ^ One example is the assassinations of Shigehiko Nomiguchi and Pisco (Manga: 238-242; Anime: 176-178). Another is the assassination attempts on Yasuteru Domon and Kogoro Mouri (Manga: 499-504; Anime: 425)
- ^ a b manga Volume 53, File 10 (553), pgs 2-4: "The Mysterious Job"
- ^ a b 青山剛昌先生と話そうDAY (Let's talk with Aoyama Gosho-sensei day), held January 3, 2013
A fan asked: All BO members have alcoholic code-names. Does Gosho like alcohols ? Will his most favorite alcohol be The Boss' code-name ?
Gosho said he doesn't really drink, he just picked up the alcoholic names that he thinks are cool. The cool code-names are almost used up now, maybe there's only Whiskey or something... left.
The Boss doesn't need to have a code-name because (he/she) is the "boss", of course the member's code-names are all come up by The Boss.
- ^ Jodie Starling hopes to capture Vermouth. Earlier, the FBI aimed to capture Gin by when Shuichi Akai met with him.
- ^ Manga Volume 42, File 9 (433), pg 4: "The truth behind the mask"
- ^ Manga Volume 42, File 10 (434), pg 13: "Rotten Apple"
- ^ Manga Volume 45, File 9: Chapter 466
- ^ Manga Chapter 704. "He" stands for a gender unspecific pronoun with no English equivalent.
- ^ Manga Volume 42, File 5 (429), pg 11: "The full moon and the trap and the banquet"
- ^ Volume 85, File 898, page 10: "Scarlet Epilogue"
- ^ Manga Chapter 434
- ^ 朝日新聞:「黒の組織ボス、もう登場」 コナン作者・青山さん (2014年1月6日16時53分)
- ^ Anime News Network: "Identity of Case Closed's Black Organization Boss Might Not Be So Secret" (2014-01-06 20:00 EST by Eric Stimson)
As the manga is nearing its climax, fan anticipation regarding its mysterious Black Organization is building, and one asked Aoyama about the gender of its boss (who is referred to simply as "That Person"). Aoyama refused to answer, but revealed that whoever That Person is, he or she has already appeared in the story. He also ruled out Professor Agasa.
- ^ J-CASTニュース: 「名探偵コナン」黒の組織ボスは一体誰？ 「もう登場してる」「阿笠博士じゃない」作者のヒントで大盛り上がり (2014/1/ 7 17:41)
- ^ 産経ニュース: （６９）漫画家の青山剛昌さん 「これが最後」の危機感を持て 暗号を解く高揚感…漫画家魂に火 (2012.6.30 07:00)
Q: コナンに登場する犯罪組織の黒幕は、男ですか、女ですか A:「それは言えない。でも、今までにフルネームで登場している人です」
- ^ 2006年朝日新聞夕刊のインタビュー記事より (2006年1月13日（金）)
From 2006 Asahi Evening Newspaper interview article (Friday January 13, 2006)
In fact, the boss' name already appeared somewhere in the manga. Please see if you can find it. . . .
Translation credit to JustWantAnAccount
The most recent file published prior to the interview is File 551 in Shounen Sunday issue #5-6 of 2006 which was released January 4, 2006
- ^ Scanned document from this post.
- ^ http://ddnavi.com/news/191132/
え―っ、すごい気になる！ では、誰もが知りたい最大の謎。黒ずくめの組織のボス“あの方”とは誰ですか？ 阿笠博士はかなり以前から取り沙汰され、青山は公式に否定している。コナンの父・工藤優作も有力候補の一人だが。
Eeeh, I’m super curious! Then, the question everyone wants answered. Who is Anokata? (tn: used “ano kata” this time, not “hito”.) Agasa Hakase was being rumored for a long time, but you have officially denied it. Conan’s father, Kudō Yūsaku is also a very big contender…
Yūsaku is also wrong. Now I’ve decided. From now on, I will never accept questions about “Anokata”! (tn: not “ano hito” this time.) I mean, it would be no fun if it was figured out. Readers, let’s continue our deduction battle!
- ^ 2005年青山剛昌とコナンファンの集いでの質問コーナーより
From Q&A in a gathering between Gosho Aoyama and Conan fans in 2005
Q. On the Black Syndicate/Organization?
A. A formal name exists. If mentioned, the boss' name will be exposed so I can't say.
Translation credit to JustWantAnAccount
- ^ 『名探偵コナン＆金田一少年の事件簿』4号より
From "Detective Conan & Kindaichi Case Files" 4th Issue
Q. Only self noticed/knows about this!!
Minami Takayama: [I know] who "anokata" is . . . None of the [other] casts know.
Translation credit to JustWantAnAccount
- ^ Kindaichi & Conan creators interview
Sato: At the beginning of Kindaichi's serialization, I thought it would only last about a year.
Aoyama: I, too, thought that it [Detective Conan] would only last about three months, since it's difficult to continue material-wise.
Translation credit to JustWantAnAccount
- ^ Gosho Q&A from Super Digest Book 50+
Q 39: I always thought that Eri had something to do with the Black Organisation. What do you think?
A: Nooo, I don't think so.
- ^ Q109, Q111, Q112, Q113 from Gosho Aoyama's Interview from Super Digest Book 70+
|High Ranking||Ano kata • Gin • Vermouth • Rum|
|Other Agents||Vodka • Chianti • Korn • Bourbon (undercover) • Kir (undercover)|
|Deceased Agents||Elena Miyano • Atsushi Miyano • Akemi Miyano • Tequila • Pisco • Calvados • Rikumichi Kusuda • Ethan Hondou (undercover) • Scotch (undercover) • Irish (movie only) • Yoshiaki Hara (movie only) • Arrack (special manga only)|
|Former Agents||Ai Haibara/Sherry • Shiho Miyano/Sherry • Shuichi Akai/Rye (undercover) • Ki'ichiro Numabuchi • Generic (special manga only)|
|Related Articles||Black Organization timeline • APTX 4869 • Nanatsu no Ko • Scar Akai • List of Black Organization related characters • Vermouth timeline|
|Movies and Specials||Countdown to Heaven • The Raven Chaser • Shinichi Kudo Returns! Confrontation with the Black Organization|