Detective Conan World
Otaku3670

Can anybody help me on this??

In this image Wakita is shown to be reading the 8th-9th page of the newspaper. So I've two questions here,

a ) In real life Japan what sort of news does come in 8th-9th page of the newspaper?

b ) What is written on the front page?

Wakita.png

• Upvote 1

A.) Wouldn't know.

B.) "日売新聞" - "Nichiuri Newspaper", a fictional stand-in for a real daily newspaper, in this case most likely Yomiuri Shinbun, similar to how the fictional TV station "Nichiuri TV" is a stand-in for the real TV station Yomiuri TV (which is also the TV station that broadcasts the Conan anime). Both Yomiuri Shinbun and Yomiuri TV are part of the Yomiuri Group conglomerate, so I guess Gosho wanted to keep his real-life reference straight.

Rest of the page is the usual unreadable scribble as far as I can tell.

Btw, here is a screenshot from the volume version of that panel with the Shonen Sunday textbox, that allow you to see the "新聞" kanji for newspaper previously covered by the textbox:

38YkKeo.png

@Otaku3670 I think you are wise to consider the possibility that Wakita is reading something other than the Rumi article. I think the arc is structured so that Wakita will round off the three suspect formula along with Rumi and Kuroda, therefore, I expect him to be reading the Rumi article. I would be less confident if something else important had happened at the same time as the tennis player's case.

1 hour ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

@Otaku3670 I think you are wise to consider the possibility that Wakita is reading something other than the Rumi article. I think the arc is structured so that Wakita will round off the three suspect formula along with Rumi and Kuroda, therefore, I expect him to be reading the Rumi article. I would be less confident if something else important had happened at the same time as the tennis player's case.

That news is supposed to be a front page news. But Wakita seems to be reading the 8th-9th page. It can happen that the extension of that story is reported on the 8th-9th page, but generally in my country, 8-9th page is reserved for Editorials/letter's to the editor/ and/or regional news mostly focusing on prefectural/regional news which is mildly intersting(not murders, killings,etc.)

But that would be a flawed simile so I'm desperstely looking for a native Japanese guy/girl who can shed some light on it.

• Upvote 1