Detective Conan World
dw5chaosfan

News case

1. 1. is the man guilty?

• yes
    • no

Did you guys see the news? A man and his bride were on a honeymoon diving trip and the wife died underwater. Who thinks that the man killed his wife with what the television revealed?

Please link to sources with detailed reporting.

Going from just that, I'd be hesitant to say anything definitive on the issue.

I will say this though, diving is NOT easy. I've done it, and you are putting your life in the hands of a tank (or two) of compressed gas, a couple of gauges, a mask and some rubber tubing connected to a breathing device. If any one of those things fails, you are dead essentially dead depending on where you are. If you surface too fast, you are dead too. Basically a lot can go wrong. I think it is morally wrong to pass judgement on the guy before the facts are known and a full investigation is done.

After doing a bit of googling.... It looks like the courts agreed with my take. The guy was negligent. His wife was probably an inexperienced diver and he failed to keep a closer eye on her and keep her calm. In that sense, yes, he killed her, but it was unintentional, and he should not be blamed. HE actually followed protocol leading her back to the rope. Most diving instructors follow this in normal situations. If she didn't indicate any issues (which she supposedly didn't) there would be no reason to do an emergency surface without the rope.

In the end, I think there is not enough to actually convict him and unintentional manslaughter due to negligence as served in Australia was probably the right choice. Trying to go for more would be a mistake, and honestly he likely didn't intend to kill her. Diving is dangerous, and a lot can go wrong. If something happened that made her panic, and rendered her incapable of surfacing, he should only be charged for not giving her the proper aide (negligence). There was nothing to suggest that he intentionally put her in that position, and furthermore it didn't appear that he had any reason to either.