Detective Conan World
Shimizu Asami

Yusaku Knows KID identity

This might seem very obvious but on the DC wiki I noticed that they didn't have Yusaku under the list of characters who know Kaito Kid Jr's identity. So I added a paragraph or so. Well, this is what I wrote:

(click to show/hide)

Yusaku knew Kaitou's father when he was alive and was aware that he was Phantom Thief/Kid. After Toichi's death, it is supposed that Yusaku would guess that Toichi's son would continue his role, supporting that he had information from his wife Yukiko who studied disguise under Toichi (and would have informed him of Toichi's death if Yusaku did not find out himself) and the recent news Kid. Also, after the original Phantom Thief died there was a time gap where Phantom Thief was so to say, inactive. For a clever man like Yusaku this seems like a plausible supposition that he was replaced by his son. Whether Yusaku ever met Toichi's son is not a large issue as Yukiko knows Kaito's face and Shinichi as Conan faced Kaito with possibly the same type rivalry Yusaku had with Toichi. Yusaku has not revealed Toichi's role as Kaito Kid I to his wife.

As previously mentioned (under 'Chikage Kuroba'), it would be difficult for Toichi to hide his identity from his wife so if his wife supposes that the new Kaitou Kid is her son then it would be quite obvious to Yusaku who canonically is aware of Toichi being Kid.

I'm sorta waiting for some confirmation from the DC experts here to verify this theory ><

I am relatively agreed with this. Even though it wasn't specifically mentioned in the anime/manga, there was a flashback with Toichi and Yukiko (the one where Kaito went to, though Shinichi wasn't there) and Yusaku appears to have left a message for Toichi (a question mark). Seeing as Yusaku could be known as the Hansei Mycroft :P, he would've known his friend was KID, not to mention that Yusaku came up with idea of the name "KID".

OOOH OKAY. I now remember the question mark! But actually, it was explained that Yusaku came up with "KID" because of a mistake - he misread 1412 because the numbers were written in a way that they looked like the english letters K-I-D (anyway the pt is, him naming 1412 as KID has nothing to do with him possibly knowing that the orig KID is Toichi..)

It was also stated that Yusaku read it as KID on purpose. I'm pretty sure he did actually know that KID was originally 1412 (if you look at the numbers, even hastily scribbled, it is possible to decipher 1412 from them).

Technically, naming him KID may have had something to do with Yusaku knowing that Toichi was KID. The two were very good friends, and Yusaku did like to chase him in his spare time. I think Yusaku may also have been told exactly why Toichi continued to act as KID as well. There has been no confirmation from Gosho Aoyama amongst this business, but if you look back on it, Yusaku knew that Toichi would know exactly what the question mark meant, possibly meaning it was something between the two of them, perhaps something that happened on a certain heist. Most of this is theory and deductions (without the "incriminating evidence"), but it is a fan theory that is relatively agreed on.

I re-read Vol55 (where the Moon Ghost file is located) and it was Toichi who actually sent the "?" message (it was embroidered onto the oxhide wallet that he gave to the young Shinichi (which Shinichi was supposed to deliver to his dad because the riddle was originally meant for Yusaku)

Yusaku replied (even without solving the riddle and opening the oxhide wallet) with a "!" (he sent the reply through Yukiko who was having dinner/magic lessons with Toichi that time) and the end of the file revealed their thoughts that what Toichi meant by "?" is something like "Will you catch me next time?" and Yusaku meant by "!" was "Definitely!"

It was never explicitly stated there that Yusaku knew Toichi has a son (though we can always assume that Yukiko has mentioned this or well, a simple investigation will surely reveal this fact) or that they were friends (it was Yukiko and Toichi who were actually friends) and it still bothers me why he didn't involve himself in any of the investigation when KID has "resurrected".

I may have mixed it up, it's been a while since I went through the case...

But we can conclude from that that Yusaku knows Toichi is was KID and probably knows/suspects that Kaito has taken over the job.

I have to say that it saw an accident that the thief 1412 became 'KID'. It was all because of the editor's messy handwriting.

But I'd say it is not impossible for Yusaku to know Kid ll's identity. He probably has a good guess about it since he most likely knew Toichi personaly.