Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Manyfaces

DC Project: I Need Help

I hate reading scans, I don't know Japanese and I'm tired of the slow English releases, so...

Does anyone buy and translate the Detective Conan (Japanese) volumes for their viewing pleasure? Translate as in pasting English over the the Japanese text in the manga (using paper). I ask because I'm going to try and do such a project, but I need some help/ideas. I'm thinking about using glue as the adhesive, but that could cause damage, and tape would make this project far more expensive. Anybody have ideas that could make this work?

Also, where's a good website to buy the Japanese volumes? I already know of CdJapan, Yesasia, and a few others. Looking for cheap international shipping.

It's not that I hate English scans because I think their inconvenient or inaccurate, I just like having a book in front of me. Plus, I love this series, so supporting it by buying official releases is mandatory in my world.

Still looking for ideas. Does everyone here, who does not know Japanese, read the scans? Their must be someone that has done something like this in the past!

I'm not sure where the Japanense volumes are, but I have about 30 volumes of DC in chinese. I pick them up in Chinatown and have relatives in China send them over. I'm thinking unless you actually stop in Japan, there's no way you can grab a Japanese volume. I've seen a few on Ebay, though. Have you tried that?

You can find Japanese volumes everywhere, and they're usually dirt cheap. It's the shipping that kills you.

A while back, I added 30-40 volumes to CDJapan's cart just to see how much it would cost. It was $200, which is awesome, but then it was another $200 to ship it!

However, finding a place to buy the volumes is not my main concern. $200-400 over a year or two is no problem, I guess. The main problem is finding a method to do this cheap and easily. That's where y'all come in... hopefully.

In the case of my massive volume collection (I own all plus all of DC Special) it's the result of quite a few years. I was lucky enough to be able to buy 1-50 something (and all of Magic Kaito) over two years at Katsucon, before Sasuga Booksellers closed down. They used to have a booth at the con selling the books for about $5-$6 each. Best part of course was not needing to worry about shipping.

The remainder I've either bought via YesAsia and more recently CDJapan. DC Special volumes 1-25 came from a yahoo.co.jp auction and volume 36 from CDJapan.

Personally I can't imagine putting anything inside of the volumes without damaging them somehow; everything you use will definitely leave a mark.

You're not lucky for finding the volumes for cheap, you're lucky for knowing Japanese! If I knew Japanese, I'd have all 72 volumes. Since I don't know Japanese, I don't want to spend a lot of money getting them here just to spend more money and time making it so I can understand them.

Well, I finally decided to act on this idea after saying it for so long. I ordered volume one of the original, and got out my scotch tape, computer paper, pencil and scissors. LOL. It didn't go so well. Mainly because it takes so long and looks very ugly. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be reading scans after volume 39 comes in the mail (Rightstuf); I have an addictive personality so I imagine my back will be hurting in a week from sitting on this chair for so long. I'll probably run thru five volumes in one day. :-?. I'll be sure to continue supporting the English releases, though.