Jump to content
Detective Conan World

Recommended Posts

We all know that Akai Shuuichi is based on Char Aznable from the Gundam series, while Bourbon is based upon Amuro Ray from the same series. I did a little research and found out that there are many similarities besides the ones known, for example in DC Shuu and Rei starts their rivalry over the death of Scotch. In the Gundam series Amuro Ray accidentally kills Lalah Sune while she was trying to rescue Char, you can see this similar in manner but different in details in both series. So I ask of you all, to help researching and reading more into the Gundam series since I'm not a big fan of it, perhaps you might find more similarities that would help us drive forward in our analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched all of the first Gundam series and my opinion after doing so is that Gosho's interest in Gundam homages only goes as far as Akai and Bourbon. Gosho seems more interested in recreating the classic feel of Gundam's Char-Amuro rivalry with Shuuichi and Rei rather than importing an exact storyline from Gundam. This makes sense because Gosho has his own story to tell and copying another story would distract from that.

 

The Akai family storyline seems to be going in a completely different direction than the Gundam original series. Char's family background wasn't this complicated. If there are similar-to-Gundam tropes coming up for the rest of the Akai and Haneda family, it's more likely to be a coincidence than deliberate copying.

 

I think that Masumi and Sayla Mass are very different as characters. Compared to Sera, Sayla is even more useless and emotional rather than logical. Sayla is most like Bourbon-arc Jodie. (I'm still not over how badly Jodie's character has been mangled. Vermouth-arc Jodie come back pls. D: ) The most Sayla-like moment for Masumi in the DC manga was on the mystery train was when she reacted poorly to Vermouth's Scar Akai and then got taken out immediately. Other than that, Sera generally has her act together even though she gets beaten by Conan in every matchup they have. 

 

I really don't see the Gundam stuff spreading outside the FBI, certain Akais, and Bourbon to be honest. There are some generic storyline parallels, but I 100% don't think Gosho is going to make Rum or the BO boss a Zeon homage or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

Vermouth-arc Jodie come back pls. D: 

 

Her AND the rest of the FBI, besides Shuichi, for that matter... this was a case of "make the antagonists look threatening and intimidating by making the protagonists stupid, rather than by making the antagonists smart," right? Did it start with Black Impact or Clash of Red and Black, you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

I watched all of the first Gundam series and my opinion after doing so is that Gosho's interest in Gundam homages only goes as far as Akai and Bourbon. Gosho seems more interested in recreating the classic feel of Gundam's Char-Amuro rivalry with Shuuichi and Rei rather than importing an exact storyline from Gundam. This makes sense because Gosho has his own story to tell and copying another story would distract from that.

 

The Akai family storyline seems to be going in a completely different direction than the Gundam original series. Char's family background wasn't this complicated. If there are similar-to-Gundam tropes coming up for the rest of the Akai and Haneda family, it's more likely to be a coincidence than deliberate copying.

 

I think that Masumi and Sayla Mass are very different as characters. Compared to Sera, Sayla is even more useless and emotional rather than logical. Sayla is most like Bourbon-arc Jodie. (I'm still not over how badly Jodie's character has been mangled. Vermouth-arc Jodie come back pls. D: ) The most Sayla-like moment for Masumi in the DC manga was on the mystery train was when she reacted poorly to Vermouth's Scar Akai and then got taken out immediately. Other than that, Sera generally has her act together even though she gets beaten by Conan in every matchup they have. 

 

I really don't see the Gundam stuff spreading outside the FBI, certain Akais, and Bourbon to be honest. There are some generic storyline parallels, but I 100% don't think Gosho is going to make Rum or the BO boss a Zeon homage or something like that.

 

I really don't think Gosho will go that far in doing homages to Gundam, but I thought that perhaps there might be more connections that are inspired by the Gundam series that we may have missed. Regarding Seyla, I first thought of the pronounce of the names as similar, Sera and Seyra in Japanese pronunciation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Shinan-Kudogawa said:

 

I really don't think Gosho will go that far in doing homages to Gundam, but I thought that perhaps there might be more connections that are inspired by the Gundam series that we may have missed. Regarding Seyla, I first thought of the pronounce of the names as similar, Sera and Seyra in Japanese pronunciation.

 

Besides some case name puns and maybe some background products/titles in certain scenes (e.g. toys owned by otaku suspects like Chiba), I haven't seen anything else other than what I mentioned above obviously related to Gundam. That's why I said I think Gosho's interest in Gundam homages only goes as far as Akai and Bourbon. I haven't observed any other plot moments where I saw a definite connection to Gundam versus similarities that are likely to be coincidence. My current opinion is that researching Gundam won't help untangle future plots.

 

Sera Masumi is named after Sayla Mass which is why their names are similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

 

Besides some case name puns and maybe some background products/titles in certain scenes (e.g. toys owned by otaku suspects like Chiba), I haven't seen anything else other than what I mentioned above obviously related to Gundam. That's why I said I think Gosho's interest in Gundam homages only goes as far as Akai and Bourbon. I haven't observed any other plot moments where I saw a definite connection to Gundam versus similarities that are likely to be coincidence. My current opinion is that researching Gundam won't help untangle future plots.

 

Sera Masumi is named after Sayla Mass which is why their names are similar.

 

Well, thanks for going through the Gundam series. If you truly didn't find anything else, then I guess that's the end of it.. As for the rivalry, is it going to be the same? or as you have watched it, do you think it is going to end differently?.

 

To tell the truth I'm not excited or thinking about watching Gundam , so don't mind the questions..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shinan-Kudogawa said:

As for the rivalry, is it going to be the same? or as you have watched it, do you think it is going to end differently?

 

From what I know, after Rei Amuro accidentally killed Lalah Sune, he and Char Aznable were bitter enemies for the rest of their lives. Unlike Shuichi, Char was an antagonist, who even tried to destroy the Earth. While Rei/Tooru/Bourbon is less heroic than Rei Amuro, they're both protagonists, rather than antagonists (in Rei's/Tooru's/Bourbon's case, though, it was a change in status—he was portrayed as an antagonist through the entirety of when he was the titular character of an arc).

 

As for DC, there's actually a blend of Rye (Shuichi's codename) and Bourbon (Rei's/Tooru's codename) called "Forgiven" (http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/09/wild-turkey-forgiven-new-bourbon-rye-blend-review.html), so I don't think Rei/Tooru is always going to hate Shuichi like he does, right now (at the very least, he's eventually going to stop wanting to kill Shuichi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shinan-Kudogawa said:

As for the rivalry, is it going to be the same?

Char kinda ambiguously explosively died at the end of Gundam, but then reappeared for a followup Gundam movie where he and Amuro are both maybe killed by some sort of Gundam light. Amuro maybe(?) seems to stay dead after that, but Char half comes back because executive cash cow resuscitation. I dunno, the series gets too weird to make sense of. I only went as far as the main first series.

Gosho will probably set up Amuro and Akai to fight again because they are designated rivals I guess.

 

1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

As for DC, there's actually a blend of Rye (Shuichi's codename) and Bourbon (Rei's/Tooru's codename) called "Forgiven" (http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/09/wild-turkey-forgiven-new-bourbon-rye-blend-review.html), so I don't think Rei/Tooru is always going to hate Shuichi like he does, right now (at the very least, he's eventually going to stop wanting to kill Shuichi).

Since when has Gosho shown awareness of recent western copyrighted names of random mixed liquors and then based his story on them? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

Since when has Gosho shown awareness of recent western copyrighted names of random mixed liquors and then based his story on them? :P

 

But it's strange, isn't it? A blend of Bourbon and Rye called "Forgiven?" At least for DC fans, it's something to be amused at. ^_^

 

But yeah, if Gosho's gonna make Rei hate Shuichi less, it's probably not gonna be because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

 

From what I know, after Rei Amuro accidentally killed Lalah Sune, he and Char Aznable were bitter enemies for the rest of their lives. Unlike Shuichi, Char was an antagonist, who even tried to destroy the Earth. While Rei/Tooru/Bourbon is less heroic than Rei Amuro, they're both protagonists, rather than antagonists (in Rei's/Tooru's/Bourbon's case, though, it was a change in status—he was portrayed as an antagonist through the entirety of when he was the titular character of an arc).

 

As for DC, there's actually a blend of Rye (Shuichi's codename) and Bourbon (Rei's/Tooru's codename) called "Forgiven" (http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/09/wild-turkey-forgiven-new-bourbon-rye-blend-review.html), so I don't think Rei/Tooru is always going to hate Shuichi like he does, right now (at the very least, he's eventually going to stop wanting to kill Shuichi).

 

18 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

Char kinda ambiguously explosively died at the end of Gundam, but then reappeared for a followup Gundam movie where he and Amuro are both maybe killed by some sort of Gundam light. Amuro maybe(?) seems to stay dead after that, but Char half comes back because executive cash cow resuscitation. I dunno, the series gets too weird to make sense of. I only went as far as the main first series.

Gosho will probably set up Amuro and Akai to fight again because they are designated rivals I guess.

 

Since when has Gosho shown awareness of recent western copyrighted names of random mixed liquors and then based his story on them? :P

 

Thanks for the info, so basically Gosho has turned Char to more heroic and Amuro into less heroic in a sense..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now