Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Rukia Kurosaki

Synchronicity Chapter 3: Quoth the Raven...

The bullet train into Osaka left the platform at 9:37 am. From within the crowd of passengers a pair of eyes locked onto Shinichi, and the lips below them curved into a smirk of recognition. Feeling the pricking sensation between his shoulderblades, he glanced around, but no one appeared to be looking in his direction. With a sigh of relief the detective tugged his hood down further over his face. It's crazy to go out in public as myself... but if the Organization already knows I'm alive, there's no way to avoid it.

He stood there amongst the other seatless riders, his thoughts occupied and his palms sweating. Shinichi gripped the cell phone that sat in his right pocket, which was set on vibrate in case the caller decided to contact him. Without knowing why, he felt that he wouldn't be called until he left the train in any case. Whoever organized this is watching. Most likely he planted one of the passengers. He studied the other Osaka-bound men and women, looking for someone who was alert, secretive, out of place... Like myself, he realized. I'm an easy target to spy on. I make it so simple to pick me out of a crowd...

With a sigh he turned his attention back to the people around him, studying everyone's movements and expressions; An old grey-haired man with glasses stood quietly reading a brochure. When he noticed Shinichi, he smiled. "Good morning, young man," he said brightly. Shinichi blinked, replying, "Ah good morning, sir." The old man held up what he had been reading; "This is a map of all the places I'm going to visit in Osaka today~"

Shinichi couldn't help but smile at the chipper personality of the fit, positive elderly man. With a nod, the old man returned to his reading, and Shinichi allowed himself another careful look around. A neatly dressed businessman favoring his left foot was leaning against the wall and checking his watch impatiently. He shook his head and tapped the watch impatiently, but didn't seem to notice Shinichi.

Three teenage boys in baseball uniforms stood together, talking animatedly and high-fiving from time to time. One had buzzed black hair and glasses, and another close-cropped blonde hair and expressive brown eyes. The third, who was tall and muscular, snickered and slapped his friend on the back. As Shinichi studied them, the blonde one turned and gave him a thumbs up. "You goin' to the game too? It's us against Osaka's minor leaguers." Shinichi paused before replying, "Yeah... A friend and I are coming to watch." As they broke eye contact, he bit his lip. A baseball stadium would be a great place to meet with his 'ally' and discuss the contest in confidence. That was, if the caller didn't bug them or send someone to trail them. He shook his head and continued searching.

A mother and son stood together, the mom trying to fix her child's messy brown hair. Neither of them even glanced his way. A girl in a collared shirt and tie stood staring out the window, a pair of headphones in her ears. Shinichi stared at her hair for a minute, which was cropped short and dyed a dark, blood red. She glanced his way, then smiled lightly, turning her attention back to the scenery and mouthing the words coming from her mp3 player. Shinichi could just make out the word, 'Nevermore...' He raised an eyebrow at the strange girl's actions, then shrugged. As he turned his head, a pair of swamp-green eyes locked on to his. "Kudou Shinichi..."

"Ah- I..." Sera grinned. "You're Ran-chan's boyfriend! Kudo-kun, right?" Shinichi froze. "Masumi Sera-san?" The shorter detective nodded. "I guess Ran-chan told you about me!" She held out a hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, Kudo-kun." Shinichi took her hand and shook it. "You too, Sera-san..." He sighed... No one's observing me. I'm too worked up. Sera frowned and grabbed the sleeve of Shinichi's jacket, pulling him close enough that she could whisper, "The rival of the game is on this train, as is the third..."
  • Upvote 4