Detective Conan World
TML

Greetings

I first watched DC back in 2002, when the son of a family friend of my parents introduced it to me. At that time, my friend had DVD episodes of the first 100 or so episodes dubbed in Chinese, so those were the only ones I watched then. Shortly thereafter, however, my interests drifted elsewhere, and remained so for a long time. However, shortly before I graduated from college this past May, I decided to rekindle this interest while I studied for my final exams and finished up some projects before graduation. It didn’t take long for me to become hooked in DC once again; in fact, it was because of my former interest in DC that I took up other crime dramas such as CSI, NCIS, etc. during my college years.

After taking some high school English classes, I came to realize that the concept of dramatic irony applies heavily in DC – the most prominent example being that we the audience know Conan = Shinichi, but not all characters in the story know that fact, and those who do know have so far not been actively spreading this info to other characters (for obvious reasons). The same goes for Ai and her true identity.

Now, I find it very interesting that the ages of the main characters seem to be “fixed” throughout the series, despite the fact the series has run for over a decade now. This makes me occasionally wonder what would happen if any of the characters actually aged and/or moved on from their present occupations.

From watching this and other TV series, I have come to realize that there are some things that people constantly root for in these series which, if they actually happened, would likely “take the air out of” the series – so the producers decided to hold off on writing these events into the series until such time the series ends or one or more of the characters involved exits the series. In the case of DC, this would include things like Conan permanently reverting to Shinichi (or, if that’s not possible, him telling everyone his real identity), the Black Organization getting taken down, various main characters getting married, etc. Based on other TV couples such as Carol Hathaway/Doug Ross on ER, Harmon Rabb/Sarah MacKenzie on JAG, Gil Grisson/Sara Sidle on CSI, etc, I think the relationship between Takagi/Sato has already passed the point of no return, but I think the producers will deliberately refrain from joining them together for the long term until the end. Due to the nature of the first episode, I also believe that Shinichi and Ran will be together by the time DC wraps up. Other couple pairs I’ve identified include Heiji/Kazuha, Shiratori/Kobayashi, Kaito/Aoko, and possibly Agasa/Fusae, although I haven’t been following these people as much as the other two that I mentioned before. Some people are rooting for Conan/Ai, but I don't think that pair is feasible because (1) Conan already loves a certain someone else (and Ai is aware of this as well), and (2) neither of them want to draw unwanted attention unto themselves at this time.