Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Aeyra

The Murder of Shinichi Kudo (this time, starting from chapter one)

MSK  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this story

• Yes, it's good
    • Yes, it's great
    • No, it's boring TT-TT

Hello! This is Aeyra, presenting my first fanfic onto DCW. As the title says, I've murdered Shinichi, but not in the middle of the storyline. Instead of turning into Conan, he died as a result of drinking the APTX 4869 that night in Tropical Land. Ran swears to solve his murder, but it's not as easy as it seems. You'll need more than one high school detective to solve this case, and maybe even a Phantom Thief. Don't forget a ghost!

P.S. I know all the spaces are off. It is right on my typed version, but for some strange reason whenever you copy and paste onto the editor it messes up your spaces. It's annoying, and I simply cannot stand adding spaces a couple of hundred times before I post two or three chapters. So please forgive me, and read on. Tell me what you think!

The Murder of Shinichi Kudo

*As a note, my writing abilities have increased exponentially over the development of my story which is currently 43 chapters long, and the beginning chapters are about 1000 words long, and the last ten chapters are 3000-4000 words long. Please enjoy 'The Murder of Shinichi Kudo'!

Chapter 1

Murdered

Shinichi's POV

"Ran," I said, staring over at my friend who was still crying from the shock of the recent murder case which had involved beheading; something that a girl like her should never see. Scratch that, any girl should ever see. "Try to calm down a little bit like me." I smiled, trying to cheer her up, even though I knew it was probably a pointless effort."See, I'm perfectly fine."

"But you see stuff like this all the time!" She yelled at me angrily. Did I, or did I not guess correctly? "I don't, so give me time to get over it." Her light blue eyes were full of tears; in a way I sympathized with her but sheesh. Teenage girls.

"Okay, okay,” I replied, giving up with a weak chuckle. Peering behind her, I saw a mysterious figure that resembled one of the suspicious men in black that had ridden in the roller coaster with us. He gave the area a quick scan before disappearing into a dark alley. What was he up to? My curiosity was getting the better of me. I had to know.

"Go ahead of me, Ran." I started running off in the direction of the guy and gave Ran a quick goodbye wave. "I'll catch up with you soon!"

I didn't see the fear that soon overtook her face, or her worry. I didn't know that this was the decision that would destroy my life, not until it was much, much too late.

The alley lead into an opening lit up by the brightness of the nearby light posts, and the edges were covered with large bushes. A secret meeting place, I realized, when a small, overweight man stepped towards the man in black.

"I came alone like you told me too.” His expression reminded me of a man at the breaking point, driven insane by the fear. "Now where's the video?"

"I know you came alone," the other answered in a serene tone, an evil snicker on his face."I saw you the top of the roller coaster. But the money comes first." He gestured toward the briefcase the man held.

"Is this enough to satisfy you?" The briefcase was opened, and in it I saw what must have been thousands of bills. It had probably at least ten million yen in it. Oy,oy, I thought. Blackmail eh? Better get some evidence… I pulled a disposable camera I had been using today out of my pocket, and positioned it where it wouldn't be seen.

"This game's over, detective." I had just pushed the button when something- an iron pipe?-hit me from behind, causing me to stumble forwards, and fall on my face.

"This brat saw everything."I couldn't see the speaker, but he was definitely the one who had whacked my head. A warm sticky red liquid was starting to run down my face; he had got me good. The sound of footsteps told me the victim of the blackmail was getting away.

"Should we kill him?" The first man asked. I heard the sound of a gun being cocked, when the other, obviously the leader, stopped him.

"No you idiot! Those police are still around because of that murder case." The sound of rustling and the opening of a clasp reached my ears. What was he getting out? "We'll use this new poison that the Organization developed." He crouched down, and lifted my head up by pulling my hair. He had long blond hair, and ice cold eyes, the eyes of a murderer. Chuckling, he inserted the tiny pill inside my mouth, and pulled out a glass of water. "It leaves no traces of poison on the body; they won't even know what killed him."

I choked on the water, trying hard not to swallow, but the poison went down nonetheless. No, I thought desperately, as the first spasms came. Please, don't tell me I'm dying…

"It's almost funny, isn't it?" The man sneered. "Kudo Shinichi. Looks like your murder might go unsolved without you there."

"Aniki, we gotta go. I think I hear people."

They both turned and headed for the dark foliage. "So long, meitantei."

The spasms quickly became more frequent, and it was like there was fire in my veins, melting my bones and burning my whole body. The pain was so overwhelming; I couldn't even open my mouth to scream. After what seemed like an eternity, the pain was suddenly elevated, and I took my last few shallow breaths. I guess this is the end, I thought. I've always wondered what dying was like.

A half hour later…

"Inspector!" A policeman called. "I think I've found a dead body!" The man took a second look at the dead teenager, and realized he recognized the face. A face that had been all over televisions and newspapers just a day before. There was no mistaking it. "It's Kudo Shinichi! He's been murdered!"

Chapter 2

Bad News

Ran's POV

I sat fidgeting on the light blue couch in my father's detective office. Shinichi's words were still echoing through my head. “Go ahead of me, Ran,” he'd said with a wink and a smile. “I'll catch up with you soon!” He'd sounded sure, so why, why had he not?

I had waited patiently for a couple of minutes where he had left me, until I realized it was time that I should be getting home. Maybe he had gone ahead? I reached for the phone thatwas sitting on the table beside the sofa; I'd call Shinichi just to make surehe was home.

Dialing his number, Ipushed call and heard nothing but what seemed like a thousand rings, but noanswer. "Hello, this is Kudo Shinichi. I'm not home at the moment, but ifyou have a case for me, leave your phone number after the beep." Not homeyet? Then where was he?

"I'm going to go toShinichi's house," I informed my father who was still lying drunk in hischair behind the desk.

"Wait, Ran!"He clumsily tried to get up, and fell out of his chair. Simultaneously, thephone started ringing. Could it be Shinichi?

Walking over anxiously,I picked up the phone. "Hello, this is Mouri Detective Agency."

"Ah, Ran-kun,"the gravelly tones of a man answered. "Is your father there? This isInspector Megure; I have to tell him something."

"Yeah." Iglanced over at my father who had still not bothered to pick himself off of thefloor, face flushed, muttering absolute nonsense. "But he's dead drunk atthe moment. If you need him, I'll tell him you called later."

"If that's the case…"the inspector stopped, and his voice seemed to have been quavering a littlebit.”Then I'll have to tell you now. Just please deal with this in a maturemanner. First, calm yourself."

"I'm calmenough." Somehow, I was already filled with fear without hearing hiswords. It was hard to breathe, but I needed to know, good news or bad. Anaching feeling in my gut told me that it was Shinichi, but I hoped it waswrong-

"Your friendKudo-kun has been found dead right outside of Tropical Land. He was hit on theback of the head, but we don't know the exact cause of death yet. I'm sorrythat I had to tell you this." His words stole my breath away.

I couldn't process whathe was saying. Shinichi couldn't be dead, he couldn't be. He had been so fullof life today, jumping around excitedly and enjoying himself. No, no,no! I screamed in my mind. Inspector Megure's lying, there'sabsolutely no way Shinichi is dead!

"Ran-kun," theinspector continued gently. "Could you come over right now? You seemed tobe with him today, you could help us with this case. I can send a patrol carright now."

"Okay…" myvoice cracked, and all of the sudden, I was gushing tears. My shield had brokendown, and everything came falling out. I had never gotten a chance to tell himthat I loved him; I'd never had the courage. And now, I'd never be able to. Butsomething inside of me told me that I shouldn't be grieving yet. That Shinichiwouldn't want that, what he'd want, is justice.

I sat back down on thecouch, silently crying until a knock came from the door. "Dad, I'm goingback to Tropical Land." I didn't look back. He didn't seem to care either,after all, he was dead drunk.

I opened up the door tosee a police officer I had met in my dad's last case. Officer Satou. She gaveme a quick hug before leading me down the stairs to the patrol car. "Youdon't have to do this." Her voice was thick with sympathy. "You'llsee him, and you won't like it."

I'd see his dead body. That's what she meant. It would finish alldoubts I had left, and leave me with the cold truth. I bet I'd break downagain, in front of everyone who must be there. But I had to; I still couldn’tbelieve it. I had to see the proof with my own eyes. "Take me to thepark." I said, in a confident voice.

Her eyes sparked withsurprise, then it died down and she nodded. "Step in."

The ride to TropicalLand wasn't very long, I stared out the window and up at the sky, where thestars and moon shone brightly. "Are you in heaven, Shinichi?" Iwhispered so softly, that even I could hardly hear. I didn't expect an answer,and I didn't get one. The stars just kept on shining.

A huge gathering ofpeople and police cars was in front of us now, and Satou-san stopped the car."Right this way." She weaved the crowd, pushing and fighting to getthrough. "I'm a police officer, let me through!"

Then, I saw it. Shinichiwas lying on his stomach, head tiled slightly to the side. His expression wassoft, and he could have been sleeping. Except for the fact that blood wasrunning down his face, turning the grass under him dark scarlet, and that hewas perfectly still. He'd never stay still if he was alive.

"Shinichi!" Istarted running towards him, I couldn't help it. Strong arms stopped me fromtouching him. "Stay back, area is still under investigation!"

"But," Iprotested. Inspector Megure whispered words in the other man, a medic by thelooks of it. Then he released me. "Just don't touch him."

I walked forward until Iwas just in front of him then kneeled down so I was closer to where he was."Shinichi," I started crying again, and the tears spilled onto histhick green jacket. "Why did you die?"

No response, no comfort.I think of earlier when he had been smiling, telling me to calm down, and Iwish he was right now.

“Calm down, Ran, I’m okay? Can’t you see?” I can imagine him saying, laughing when- if- Iwoke up from this living nightmare.

A gentle hand patted myshoulder, Inspector Megure. "Some things can't be prevented. And unfortunately,murder is one of them. But we'll catch the culprit, I'm sure that's exactlywhat Kudo-kun would have wanted."

Shinichi would havedefinitely wanted justice. It was why he wanted to be a detective. Justyesterday he had told me how much he enjoyed the sensation of trapping thecriminal, and bringing him to justice. Once you start, you can't stop!That's what it's like to be a detective! It was then that I made up mymind.

I'll try to become adetective in your place, Shinichi. At the very least, I will solve your murder! I swore on my life that I would, because,I'd never be able to live with myself otherwise. My investigationstarts tonight.

Chapter 3

Another Chance

Shinichi's POV

*Author's note: this iswhere it gets a little weird, the chapter's a little shorter, because Icouldn't think of any better way to write it. If you have tips that will helpme write out the rest better, please tell me.*

I was still fallingthrough nothingness that seemed to stretch out forever. The only change waswhen the black changed to light, but that had happened a while ago. That hadbeen dying. But since I was already dead, shouldn't I be in heaven orsomething? Not falling through eternal oblivion.

As if something hadanswered my question, I finally hit the soft ground. It resembled a cloud, andI picked myself off the ground and noticed the clothing I wore was pure white,a white shirt and white pants. Kind of like angels, I thoughtsarcastically. They only wear white.

A loud voice soundedinside of my head, and pulsed through my entire body. There was no way toignore it.

We are going to give youanother chance on earth. We have decided to let you help bring about your ownjustice. Who was that? Was theresomeone here with me? I looked around, and saw nothing but clouds.

It is not important foryou to know who we are. Listen carefully to what we say. We will let you goback down, but you will not have any of the divine knowledge that would begranted to you if you were to stay. However, if you stay, you can never go backto earth. You will not be brought back to life, however. You will have ahalf-life inside a willing body. You will only be able to share your thoughts,and listen to the thoughts that the other is willing to share. You will seewhat they see, and you will hear what they here. Once your case is solved, youwill come straight back up. Are the conditions clear?

I nodded, somehowknowing that the mysterious speaker knew I agreed. "Who will I be livingthrough?"

The name of the personis Ran Mouri. I opened my mouth inshock. Ran? She has vowed to solve your murder, and swore on her life.We know that she cannot do it alone, but you can help.

"Am I goingnow?" I asked, still stunned by everything.

Yes, be careful on yourway, Shinichi Kudo.

The clouds disappearedfrom under my feet and my body started glowing, and there was a burning heat inmy chest. It felt like I was turning into a star, and I figured I probablywasn't far off. Falling, once again, but this time, I knew what lay in store forme. One last mystery, before I'd never get to solve another one. And maybe evena chance to say goodbye to Ran before I left her again.

Ran, I thought. I'm returning to you.

You probably know this, but there are some spaces missing.

I know, whenever I post stuff by copy and paste, it mashes my words together and I don't know how to fix it without going in and adding spaces each and every time. (which can get tedious. I tried to do it for 'The Leap' but eight thousand words is way too much to fix.) Do you know how to make it work?

I know, whenever I post stuff by copy and paste, it mashes my words together and I don't know how to fix it without going in and adding spaces each and every time. (which can get tedious. I tried to do it for 'The Leap' but eight thousand words is way too much to fix.) Do you know how to make it work?

No method that I know. Sorry, brute space labor. mellow.gif

No method that I know. Sorry, brute space labor. mellow.gif

What?! This story is over 75,000 words and I have to space out ALL of them?! Nooo.... I'm going to have that carpal thingy by the time I'm done. *tears* They need to fix that.

Because the first twenty or so chapters of my story are extremely short, I decided to just put up five here. These haven't really been grammatically corrected, seeing i didn't get my beta until chapter 34. Enjoy, though it's probably easier to follow through ff.net.... If the spaces are killed, forgive me, but they look fine right now... *crosses fingers*

Chapter 4

Ran's POV

It was the day after Shinichi had been found dead at Tropical Land. I had cried myself to sleep last night, but I had to stop soon. Shinichi's parents had been informed, and they were coming today. I felt crushed as I imagined the expression on his mom's face. The beautiful actress Yukiko Kudo wouldn't be acting out a tragedy, now she was truly part of one. His dad, well, he was good at keeping a straight face, but, he would definitely be depressed. But I had a matter of more immediate importance, I was to report back to the scene today in five minutes. Satou-san was going to pick me up again.

I had told my dad everything earlier this morning. He took it calmly, but even his frown couldn't hide the shock in his eyes. He had then tried to comfort me, but failed. In fact, he even swallowed his pride and called over my mom to help me. She had agreed to come later, after my investigation.

"I'm going to go out now," I said to my dad, who was sitting at his desk, reading the morning newspaper, hiding it from my view. I knew why, because the headlines would upset me. But I knew what it said. In big bolded letters Famous High School Detective Kudo Shinichi Found Murdered in Tropical Land. The whole of Japan knew now, and it would probably be the top news over the next few weeks.

I closed the door, and walked outside. The newspaper stand close to the entrance of my house was filled with the same newspaper that dad had been reading. Just don't look Ran, ignore it, I thought. A black and white police car with sirens off pulled up at the curb. "Hello, Ran-chan." Satou-san greeted me kindly. There was a smile on her face, but I knew it was only to help me.

"Good morning, Satou-san." I climbed into the shotgun seat. "Have they found anything out about how-" It was hard to finish my sentence, and his name caught in my throat.

"About the murder method used?" she asked. I nodded in reply. "Strangely enough, they found nothing that could of killed him. The head wound was much to minor to be fatal, and there's no trace of poison, no evidence of strangling, or anything. He's just dead, nothing else."

"How can that be?" I asked. "There has to be something, how can there be nothing?"

"At this point, no one knows." She stared straight ahead at the road, no looking at me. "All we can say is that he was killed. Without a cause of death, we can't even say suicide or homicide."

"Shinichi would never, ever commit suicide," I said jumping to his defense. "How can you even suggest it?"

"There's always a possibility. But I know that view is very, very unlikely." She pulled the car to a complete stop, and stepped out. "You can talk to the doctors who did the autopsy about it. They know much more than I do."

Shinichi's body was no longer at the crime scene, it was at a funeral home, where his mother and father would arrange his funeral. However, there was white tape marking where he had lain as he took his final breaths. Dried blood covered some of the grass, but other than that, there was no evidence that he was ever here.

I spotted Inspector Megure and immediately bombarded him with my questions. He would know, wouldn't he? After all, it looked like he was in charge of this.

"It's true that we haven't found a cause of death. I've never even seen a case like this, and neither have the higher-ups. I knew Kudo-kun, and it doesn't seem like he'd go without a fight, at the very least, a death message, but, there's nothing that explains how he was murdered."

"Are you the one in charge of this case, Inspector?" I asked. "Are there any detectives working on this?" I wondered if Shinichi knew how he was killed, after all, you don't always see your killer's face…

"We have one from Osaka, you might have even heard of him. Hattori Heiji, the famous high school detective."

I'd heard Shinichi mention that name before; he'd talked about having a deduction match with Hattori one day, to see who the better man was. But Hattori Heiji wasn't going to be the only detective on the case, I was going to help the best I could. I started trying to recall the details.

Shinichi ran into the alley that leads to here, but why? I racked my brain, searching for an answer. There was a man standing here, dressed in black… Could he have suspected him of a crime? Wait, that was the man I saw during the roller coaster murder! If he isn't the murderer, then he must at least have some information about this.

"He's over there." The inspector pulled me out of my thoughts, and pointed to a tall teenager with dark skin wearing a baseball cap. "You could talk to him, he seems almost as smart as Kudo-kun was."

I approached him, and he turned around to face me. "You're Mouri, right? The police told me about you. I'm Hattori Heiji, nice to meet you. Though, I wish it was under different circumstances." He held his hand out.

I shook it, and smiled at him. "Have you figured anything out?"

"Nope, not at all," he answered. "But as the last person we know to have seen him alive, you gotta know something, right?"

"There is this one thing I just remembered," I confessed. "During the roller coaster case earlier-you what I'm talking about right?- he had his eyes on these two men dressed in black. They scared me, so I didn't pay much attention to them. And when he left to run into this alleyway, I saw one of the men. He was rather tall and sturdy, and other guy was thinner, and had long blonde hair. Does that help?"

"Looks like we have suspects," he chuckled satisfactorily. "That's going to help a lot. This case didn't have many clues at all, in fact, not one."

"Heiji, where are you?" The voice of a girl called. "They won't let me in."

"I'm over here," he yelled back. "This is a crime scene, idiot. Of course they're not letting you in." He peered over at me and explained who the girl was. "That's my childhood friend, Kazuha. Tooyama Kazuha. She came with me from Osaka, though I left the hotel without warning this morning, but it looks like she found me. Let me introduce you."

He walked me over to Kazuha. "This is Mouri Ran, one of the best friends of Kudo Shinichi. Mouri, this is Kazuha."

"Nice to meet you," a smile lit up her features and her emerald eyes shone.

"It's nice to meet you too," I answered, though not quite sharing her enthusiasm. "Are you two good friends?"

It hadn't even been two minutes, but they had started reminding me about how my relationship with Shinichi had been. Good friends, but I had had deeper feelings for him, feelings that I never got a chance to say…

"Hmm?" they both replied, blushing.

"I meant like friends, not a couple." From the look on their faces, they had obviously misunderstood my question. It was quite funny. Hey Ran, looks like your husband's here! Sonoko had said that just days ago when Shinichi had come up to me during the class break.

"Yeah, I met Heiji in primary school." She grabbed his arm, and his face turned red. "We've been friends ever since."

Just like me and Shinichi. Friends since we were tiny children, and then he was ripped apart from me. Never to come back. Shinichi, Shinichi, Shinichi, Shinichi. I was thinking too much about him. I had to stop, before it hurt too much. Red-hot tears began to spill down my face, and then I pulled my head up in shock.

Ran, can you hear me? Shinichi's voice rang in my head, and it wasn't my imagination. Shinichi?

Chapter 5: Chapter 5Chapter 5

Shinichi's POV

I was a comet down from heaven. Shooting down toward the place where I had been killed. To return to earth, and solve my unjust murder. I could see Ran now, talking to a dark-skinned boy and a teenage girl with pale skin. And then, I collided.

She couldn't feel it; her expression showed nothing that indicated the sudden pain that pierced me, whatever I was now. Searing, fiery pain, as I once again was alive. Half-alive, but I felt it as acutely as the poison that killed me. But then it stopped, and I could see through Ran's eyes.

The scene in front of me was blurry, tears clouded her vision, and I couldn't stand her suffering. I called out to her, hoping she would hear me.

Ran, can you hear me? The words echoed around my mind, her mind. Did she hear?

"Shinichi," she whispered my name out loud. I realized that I could see from outside of her too, what she looked like. She looked around from side to side, then her face fell, crestfallen. "Am I hearing things?"

No, I answered. It really is me. I'm inside of you, no one else can hear me. I've fallen back from heaven.

Shinichi… Shinichi! Are you really back? Her mind was excited and frantic, balancing between disbelief and overwhelming joy.

For a while. I smiled, wondering if she could feel it. Until I help you solve my murder. You promised to solve it, didn't you? I thought you'd need my help.

"Ran." The pale-faced girl asked. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she answered. "Just a slightly uncomfortable memory." The dark-skinned boy nodded in sympathy.

Who are they? I asked. The boy seemed familiar, had I seen him before?

He's Hattori Heiji, and she's his friend, Tooyama Kazuha. They were called over from Osaka because Hattori-kun's a famous high school detective like you.

Like I used to be, I corrected her. I was surprised at how easily she responded. She had accepted me immediately, I had expected tens, if not hundreds of questions.

I can hear you. I felt happiness again. I can see you too. And of course I have questions for you. But, if you're really inside of me, we'll have plenty of time, right?

Of course we will. I'll answer every one of those questions. I'd also like to tell you something that I never had a chance to say to you in life. I had met her again, and I knew it would impossible to keep from telling her how I felt. Courage to fuel my words fired up and me, and I spoke again. I'm in love with you, Ran. Even death wasn't able to stop that.

There was no answer, only surprise, and doubt. She didn't know how to respond. It doesn't matter to me whether you feel the same way or not. I just needed you to know.

I do, Shinichi! Her words came out fast and with a certain kind of intense feel to it. I love you too! That's why I was crying so much! It's because, I thought I'd never be able to see you again…

Sshhh… I calmed her down. For the moment, I think it's best that you talk to your new friends, they seem to be worrying about you.

Ah! I didn't even hear them. "Sorry Kazuha-chan, what were you saying?"

"Do you want to leave right now? You're crying." Ran wiped away the tears with her hand, and refused the offer.

"I feel it's important to stay. I want to solve his murder, because, I'd doubt he'd be able to rest in any kind of peace if he didn't get justice."

Well said, Ran. You stole the words right out of my mouth.

Did I? She sounded pleased. Of course, I could hear you thinking it as well.

Cheater, I said sarcastically.

Silent giggles. It was almost just like it used to be already. Less than five minutes back. How long could it last? I knew I wanted to stay forever, but we didn't have forever.

We had until I solved the case, and there was no way I'd be able to resist trying to solve it. Besides, if I didn't accomplish my goal, what would those intimidating voices up in heaven do? We didn't have enough time. And who knew what kind of problems would erupt between now and the end?

Shinichi, could you stop thinking so negatively? We're together for now, so let's focus on that, can we?

Sure, as long as you want me to. There was no way I was going to disappoint her now. I was living on a blessing, and it was probably very short. I heard the clock in my head. Tick, tock, tick, tock…

Chapter 6: Chapter 6Chapter 6

Ran's POV

Shinichi was worried, worried about how little time we had left. I thought I just told you to stop thinking negatively! It's starting to get a little annoying.

I'm sorry, he apologized. It's just that being some kind of angel and all that really makes you think from a different perspective. I ran out of time, and now I'm given more. It's like a dream, and I don't know when I'll wake up.

I suddenly felt bad about berating him. He had genuine reasons for thinking that way. I wished I could help him…

"Ran-chan!" Kazuha started shaking me. "You've been staring into space for a while now! It was like you were sucked into another world or something!"

"Oh, sorry." I smiled apologetically at here. "Just feeling nostalgic, it helps ease the pain. Would you mind if I went off by myself for a little bit?"

"Oh, that's fine. Heiji'll definitely figure something back by the time you're back! So don't be gone too long!"

I found a desolate spot where I could 'talk' with Shinichi without being noticed. I have a question for you. Do you know how you were killed?

It was that man in black. That tall one with the long blonde hair and ice blue eyes. He hit me from behind first with something like a bat. Then, force-fed me poison.

Poison? I blurted out, shocked. But the autopsy showed no traces of any kind of poison.

There was something he said. 'We'll use this new poison that the Organization developed. It leaves no traces on the body, they won't even know what killed him.' So it really worked. And they won't believe your word since there's no evidence to back it up. Even though I know the murderer's face and how I was killed, this mystery is going to be harder than I thought to solve.

We just need to find the guy and make him a suspect, right? Then if the police find that poison on him, he'll be arrested. Isn't it pretty simple.

No. His voice was filled with a sort of rage. He mentioned an Organization. And he looked like a mafia member. If that's true, then they'll sure to cover up all the tracks. We'd need to get the entire organization itself to succeed.

I was filled with disappointment, until I remembered that meant that Shinichi would be able to stay longer. But, we'll be together all that time right? It means we'll be together, so it's okay, right?

That's the only good part. I felt him smiling, like when I just told him one of Sonoko's silly antics, or a funny joke. But I'm worried. They'll be dangerous. I was killed because I witnessed blackmail. And the price was at least one hundred million yen. Rich, cold-blooded murderers. I don't want you against them.

I didn't answer that. He wouldn't like my answer at all, so I changed topics. Shinichi, I'm meeting your parents this afternoon. They're arranging your funeral.

Mom, dad… His thoughts broke off into incomprehensible phrases. Deep sorrow, regret, and fury once again to those who had done this to him, were all I could make out.

Should I tell them? Where you really are right now? Maybe that would help them. Comfort them, especially poor Yukiko-san. She had loved Shinichi so much, and he was her only child. His dad was stronger, but I doubt he could handle the death of his son.

I don't know. I'll tell what to do once I see them, because I don't know right from wrong here.

Then let me go now, I offered. They said they'd be there all day. And I'll just go back and tell Kazuha-chan that I want to leave for today.

That sounds okay. His voice called an end to this particular conversation. Dealing with his parents, who would never see him alive again. And he would have to watch. See them break down in tears, torn apart by his death. I wondered what my parents would do. If my dad wasn't drunk of course.

I reentered the crime scene, and told Kazuha-chan I was leaving. "Before you leave, here's my number and the hotel we're staying at for the time being. It'll be useful to stay in touch." She handed me a slip of paper with the address. "We might be here for a while, come and visit if you feel down. I'll try to help cheer you up!" I liked Kazuha-chan. She was really sweet and kind. I bet that we would become great friends soon.

On the taxi ride to the funeral home, Shinichi was still silent, but was having vivid images of his parents breaking down and crying, hurt, and confused. I didn't want to interrupt his thoughts, no matter how bad they made him feel. They were necessary, he needed to deal with this problem.

When I entered the door, I saw the open coffin, and his parents standing next to it. I couldn't see their faces, but Yukiko-san was shaking, and Yusaku-san was hugging her tightly. They were dressed in black, the color for grieving.

"Yukiko-san, Yusaku-san," I called to them. They looked away, and stared at me. Yukiko's lips seemed to say the words 'Ran-chan' but they were too quiet for me to hear.

"Ran-kun," Yusaku-san addressed me. "You're early. We didn't expect you until later."

There were no words. Nothing to say. "Are you okay?"

"No." He shook his head, and I saw tears watering up in his eyes. "I'm not. I lost my son, how could I be okay?"

Dad… Shinichi almost sounded as if he was crying too. His voice was thick, and caught in his throat. I'm so sorry.

Would you like me to tell them? I asked. It would definitely ease their pain. But you don't have to, not at all if you don't want too.

I want to, and that's the problem, Ran. I don't think anyone is supposed to know I'm here but you. It's bad enough that you'll be in danger from chasing the knowledge I tell you. I don't want to involve my parents, but I want to tell them not to cry. That I'm still happy, in a way.

"At least he went to a good place." It was the best I could think of. Yusaku-san laid his hand on my shoulder, and patted it gently.

"That much, I'm happy with." A smile was on his face, but tears were starting to roll down his eyes. "Ran-kun," he started. "Just to let you know, the funeral's tomorrow morning. Shinichi didn't really have a favorite time of day."

Not really, just whenever a crime just happened to occur, Shinichi agreed. It feels weird, coming to the funeral home to arrange my funeral.

"Do you need my help for anything?" I offered.

"No." It was Yukiko-san who answered. "We have everything we need. My poor Shin-chan, why did this have to happen…?"

"Ran-kun." Shinichi's dad pulled me away for a second. "You were at the crime scene this morning, right? Did they find any suspects or anything?"

"Nothing, not even the cause of death." I felt so bad about lying. I knew everything that Shinichi had told me, but if I were to say that, I would give him away.

"Okay." He looked disappointed. "Just tell me you find anything, okay?"

I nodded, and left. His words were obviously a good-bye.

So Shinichi, how do you feel now?

Worse, much, much worse. Can I have some more time to myself? I need to think.

Lies, deceit, grief… My lies were hurting people, who would definitely be comforted by the truth. But what to do?

Chapter 7: Chapter 7Chapter 7

Shiho's POV

*Author's Note: As I mentioned in my profile, this is the first chapter told by Shiho (Ai Haibara). Please read and review this chapter if you like it!*

A newspaper was slammed on my desk, and I glared at the intruder. "Gin," I addressed him. "What're you doing here?"

"Seems your poison worked, Sherry. Take a look at the headlines." The tall, blonde haired man pointed to a photo of the famous high school detective, Kudo Shinichi. And right above it, an announcement of his death. His murder to be exact.

"It's easy to kill somebody with a poison," I snapped at him. "What would prove it works if is they can't find a cause of death."

"Then, I suggest you turn on the TV, some officials are discussing it right now." He turned on the portable TV lying on my desk, and a reporter was interviewing the official in charge of the case and a dark skinned teenager.

"Inspector Megure," the reporter started. "Have you figured anything out yet? Any suspects or clues?"

"We have nothing," the inspector replied. "Not even a cause of death has been found. There is only one wound on the body, but medical experts say that it could not possibly have killed him. It's a very mysterious case, we've never seen anything like it at all."

The reporter turned to the dark skinned boy, and asked for his opinion. "The famous Hattori Heiji, detective of the west. Have you been able to make anything out of this shocking murder?"

"The last person known to be with him before death is currently stunned with grief. I'm pretty sure she can tell us something once she's better. However, with no cause of death, I believe that it might have been the work of poison. I don't remember when, but I read an article on a type of cell destruction called apotosis, which is programmed cell death. Of course, this is very hard to discover, because all the cells in the victim's body have already died, but it is the only plausible explanation I can think of."

"That kid…" I mumbled, shocked. "How could he possibly know? The APTX 4869 did cause apotosis!"

"Lucky guess." Gin pulled out a cigarette and lit it. His eyes glinted a dangerous icy shade, and he smiled. "It's more exciting this way. The closer he gets to the truth, the chances of him running into an 'accident' will increase dramatically. Imagine the high school detectives of the east and west both dying in unsolvable cases. It would become quite a headline."

"Yes it would," I agreed with him. "But you came here to talk about something else, didn't you? Something of more importance."

"Pretty good," he chuckled. "Your sister has made a deal with the boss."

"Akemi did what?" I had always warned my sister of dealing with anyone of high ranking. It was dangerous, and if you said one wrong word…

"If she can steal one billion yen from the bank, in two weeks time, both you and your sister will be free of this organization. If not, well, it'll look like our snipers will have a new target to shoot at."

I jumped out of my seat, and shook Gin furiously, not thinking of the possible consequences. "No, I can't let that happen! Where is she? I need to go talk to her right now!"

"Akemi?" His evil smile was back on his face again, the smile he usually saved for murder. "I believe she's here already. Looking for you?"

Right on cue, my older sister came into my lab. "Shiho," she panted breathlessly. "I need to tell you something." She then caught sight of Gin, and showed visible recoil. My sister was afraid of him.

"I'll leave now." He walked out of the open door. "Wouldn't want to interrupt your conversation." I could hear laughter from the hallway. That Gin…

As soon as I was sure he was gone, I started screaming furious at Akemi. "How could you? You'll get killed! Even if you do succeed, they'll never let you go, and they'll especially be against letting me go. How many people have you seen walk away free?" Tears were watering up in my eyes, but I didn't want to wipe them away.

"There's always a first, Shiho." She smiled at me. It was hard to believe that my sister was a thief, who had probably killed people along the way. She was just so pure and kind. "You shouldn't worry so much, it's my job as the older sister."

"But I know more about this," I insisted. "Didn't you hear Gin? He's probably planning your death scene right now. And enjoying it. You've got to tell the boss that the deal is off, do you hear me? It's better to stay in the Organization and live then to escape half way and die!"

"No," she answered firmly, pushing me away. Her blue eyes became ice like Gin's, and I was afraid. "I'm trying to get you out of this prison as best as I can without getting you killed. But as for me…"

"What? What?" I didn't want to know her answer, I already knew it in my head. But I had to hear it, or else it wouldn't be true.

"Have you heard that American phrase, 'Give me liberty or give me death'?" she asked calmly, as if this was no big deal.

"You're committing suicide?" My voice got really high now, and she even backed away. "Stop this right now, for me?" My voice started becoming lower, and the tears came back. "Please Akemi, please."

She patted me gently on the shoulder and then hugged me. "That is the one thing I won't do for you. I'm sorry Shiho, but I have to go now."

I watched helplessly as my sister left, walking with the knowledge that she was walking into the arms of death. Akemi… I fell onto my knees, and cried.

Chapter 8: Chapter 8Chapter 8

Shinichi's POV

*I accidently spelled apoptosis wrong in the last chapter. Sorry!*

The night had passed silently, and no matter how much I wished it wouldn't, the morning came. The morning of my funeral. Seeing my parents cry over my death again, seeing my friends grieve, watching people hurt because I died. I wanted to say the truth so badly, that I was inside of Ran, but, if just one person let out the word at the wrong place, Ran would be in danger, as well as the person who said it. I wasn't going to let anyone get hurt because of me.

The alarm clock sounded, and Ran turned over and slammed the reset button. She yawned, got up, and stretched. Today's the day, Shinichi. Are you ready?

As ready as I'll ever be. Do you have your black dress?

Give me a moment to myself to change into it. I felt her blush a little bit, and I smiled. Don't peek.

I won't, promise. Closing my eyes, or whatever I was seeing through, I relaxed for a couple minutes. I wondered who was coming, maybe my classmates, probably Inspector Megure, and a couple of others. Some of them would be able to get over it in a couple of days, others, maybe not for weeks. But they would be able to get on with their life, go to college, get a job, get married… All of which had been stolen from me. How could I have been so stupid to forget that the stocky man had had a companion? So many ways I could have evaded death; if I hadn't looked that way when the man walked into the alley, if I hadn't suspected him, if I hadn't followed him, if I had heard the footsteps of the man who came from behind me, so many ways.

Shinichi! I'm finished! Ran stood in front of the mirror; but black didn't suit her very well. It was too dark, and a little bit too sinister for her. Really, Shinichi?

I'm also a bit blackophobic right now. Who killed me? Two men dressed in black, that's who.

There's something I'm really worried about. Ran's expression was very uncomfortable. I should be grieving over you, and crying endless tears at the funeral. But, you're still here, so I can't feel upset. And I'm a terrible actress when it comes to sad emotions.

Could you possibly pretend that I'm not here? I suggested, after all, it would seem kind of weird how my best friend and supposedly girlfriend wasn't crying when I died.

No, because if you're quiet, all I can think about is what you're thinking. If you're talking, I have to listen, I can't help it.

Pretend you're still in a state of shock where you can't accept my death. Just don't smile, that would throw it off.

Okay.

My parents came by to pick Ran up in a long black hearse. Ran held a bouquet of white roses to lay by my coffin. My mother's eyes were red and puffy, and my father seemed no better. They didn't greet Ran, I guessed it was too hard for them to speak. They clung to each other, as if that was the only thing that kept them whole. My heard ached, to see my parents in such a pitiful state. When I had last seen them in America, my mother was all smiles, and my dad was full of pranks. There was no trace of their playful selves left.

The funeral home came into sight, we got off the hearse, and we walked into the chamber where my body was. The black coffin was open, and as we walked closer, I saw my face, eyes closed as if I were sleeping, my face clean of blood, and my arms formed an X over my chest. Seeing myself dead, was just so strange. It was me, without me in myself. It sounds confusing, but, it's hard not to feel a little confused when you stare at your corpse.

Ran lay her bouquet of roses next to my coffin, real tears running down her face as she looked at my pale, still face. You're dead, but you're alive. I guess I don't have to fake cry anymore, Shinichi.

She stared back at the people who had came to grieve. A girl with light tea-brown hair came up to Ran and hugged her. Ran's best friend, Sonoko Suzuki. "Ran, are you okay?" Her eyes had tears in them, and they were also full of worry for her friend. "I'm so sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry," she replied. "No one could have stopped him, except maybe me. If I had stopped him from running into that alleyway, then this would never have happened."

"It's not your fault either, Ran." Sonoko gave her a tighter squeeze. "If there was a mystery to solve, then he wouldn't have let you stop him. You would have only been killed as well."

Ran nodded, and wiped her eyes. She looked around, and I saw some of my other classmates, and surprisingly, Hattori Heiji and Kazuha Tooyama. They came up to her, and Hattori started talking.

"Mouri," he started talking. "Did you see what happened on the interview with Inspector Megure and I yesterday? I think we have a new theory on how Kudo was killed. A poison that causes apoptosis."

"Apoptosis?" Ran tilted her head to one side. Shinichi, do you know what apoptosis is?

I think its programmed cell death. It occurs naturally, it's basically getting old. But it seems like a pretty good theory if it killed all the cells. As for the no trace left part, it would be because it would be normal for all my cells to die.

"Apoptosis is a programmed cell death. In other words, it killed his cells. It wouldn't be like other poisons that kill by latching onto essential tissues and keeping them from performing vital functions." His expression reminded me of my own when I'd announce a seemingly random bit of trivia that was very important. A frown, mixed with confidence.

"Who came up with the theory?" Ran asked.

"I recently read an article about it, so I suggested it at the interview. It was the most probable theory, so that's the supposed cause of death at the moment. However, it would take a lot of money to create the poison, and a lot of trouble to hide it from public knowledge which leaves us with one kind of group. A mafia would be among the few capable of creating such a poison."

"There was something I didn't say earlier," Ran started hesitantly. "I think I know who the primary suspects are. During the rollercoaster murder case, Shinichi had his eyes on these two men in black. And afterwards, when he left me, I caught a glimpse of one of them."

"That helps." Hattori had a thoughtful expression on his face. "Can you describe them?"

"One was a tall long-haired blonde, with blue eyes. The other was slightly shorter, stockier, and had black hair. Both were dressed completely in black."

"I'll go tell Inspector Megure. I hope it wouldn't be considered rude if I left right now." He was looking in the direction of my parents.

"Can I go with you?" Ran pleaded. "I want to tell him myself. And I can't stand another minute in here." The tears running down her face, and the sorrow and desperate need to get out that I could feel, showed she wasn't lying.

"Tell his parents." He looked over at Kazuha. "Are you coming with us?"

"I am." She started to cling to his arm again. "I don't like it here either, it's too sad for me."

Ran explained her want to leave to my parents, and they nodded in acceptance. No words once again.

This was good, within a day, they had figured out a likely cause of death, and narrowed down the types of criminals to a mafia. In other words, an organization.

Ran, are you better yet? I questioned her.

Now that you're talking again. It feels less lonely now.

This would be the part of the story where the boy kisses the girl to comfort her. But, it was impossible. We were in love, with no method of showing it but words and thoughts.

I wish it too, Shinichi. I felt what must have been a mental hug, and I returned it. Dying was so much more than losing your life. It's losing everything that came with it. My nonexistent tears ran down my face…

Chapter 9: Chapter 9Chapter 9

Akemi's POV

*I know the robbery actually took place way before Shinichi turned into Conan, but I'm putting it here to make it easier. Otherwise, Shiho's emotions wouldn't make sense, right?*

I silently closed the door behind me. I could still hear my sister crying at what she must consider my betrayal. I leaned against the door, and remembered her words again. "Didn't you hear Gin? He's planning your death scene!" He face contorted with dread and fear. "What? What?" Now it was just plain anger, and she was crying, screaming the words at me, accusing me. "Please, for me?" Her voice was now merely a whisper, pleading. She closed her blue eyes, and tears ran down her face.

I had left my little sister like that. Crying, sobbing, begging… I felt terrible. But it was all for her. If I could steal that money, then she could be free. Shiho deserved to live life to the fullest, not like a bird trapped in a cage, in a room where it could see the sky, with the knowledge that it couldn't fly into the open air. The boss had told me to come back if I changed my mind, or come back if my decision stayed the same. He would tell me where the robbery would take place, and assign me assistants. We would plan how to break in, steal what we needed to, and escape from the police. All would have to be planned perfectly; after all, any kind of failure meant death.

It wasn't long before I reached the boss's room. Taking a deep breath, I knocked on the door. "Come in." The voice was icy cold and mechanic, frightening, and not very human. The chair in which he sat was turned to the back of the room as usual. Only the highest officials ever saw his face, or even knew his code name. The rest of us just called him 'The Boss'.

"I'm going through with it." I spoke confidently, no weakness in front of the boss. "Tell me where and when, and I'll get started."

"You know that if you fail, your sister will also be punished, right, Akemi?" He was also sadistic, asking questions that were meant to cause pain, instead of answering. And he never referred to anyone as their code name either.

"Yes, I understand that. Which is why I won't fail." I meant it, and I swore on my life that I would not fail. That I would succeed, and save my sister. It was my duty, that my parents had secretly entrusted onto me. They had died here in the Organization, and I wasn't about to let Shiho do the same, whether it was sooner or later. If she was to die, she was to die free.

"I have your assistants." I heard the snapping of fingers, and two men entered the room. "Your job is to rob the Teito bank of one billion yen. It will be an armed robbery, both cash and gold will be acceptable for me. It will take place in one week."

"Have you secured us a getaway car?" I asked carefully.

"This man right here has one." The smaller, stocky man stepped forward. "While he is part of the Black Organization, he works as a chauffeur. He will not be robbing the bank with you, he'll be waiting for you a little bit off. It is your job to escape to where he is waiting."

"My car is a limousine, if you do your job right, no one will suspect the thieves would escape in such a noticeable car. But, if the mission in any way fails, I'm driving right off, no question asked."

"I understand." I looked into his eyes; he was obviously hiding something, but what? There was fear, and maybe a slight feeling of guilt. Something's off here.

"I will be assisting your robbery," The taller, muscular man spoke. "Boss, if you don't mind, may we leave to discuss and finalize the plans? That way, you won't have to listen to our pointless chatter."

"By all means," the boss answered in a tone that was quite obviously a farewell.

We all left the room, and headed for the department dedicated to robberies and related crimes. I unlocked my office room, and let the others in. "Would you two like some coffee or tea?" I offered.

"Ah yes," the chauffeur answered. "Coffee with milk and sugar please."

"I'll take the tea." The other man was quieter, and had a strange scary presence.

"Give me one moment." I backed out of my office, and went to the coffee machine, where some other members of the Organization were discussing my sister's recent success with the poison.

"Those police are so clueless," one chuckled. "That Sherry's a genius, there isn't even a way to confirm a cause of death with that poison."

"Now that we know it works, we'll be able to use it much more often, and then there will many, many more unsolvable crimes."

"Hey you!" One of them called to me. "Tell your sis congrats from us!"

"No problem." I turned back the machine and prepared the coffee and tea. I chose coffee for myself, it always got me thinking, and I would need all the help that I could get here.

Upon reentering my office, I found them already discussing the plan. "We'll need one 'ordinary citizen' among the two of us." It was the man who was to directly assist me in robbing the bank. "And maybe even the help of Vermouth. You know, in the disguise category?"

"Vermouth?" If there was someone who scared me even more than the boss, it was his favorite, the female actress Sharon Vineyard, code name Vermouth. Master of disguise, she was also a cold-blooded killer, and there was even a rumor going around that she never aged. But, her help would be very useful. "You idea is that we where the disguises, and once the police lose sight of us during the getaway, we remove them and blend in with the crowd, right?"

"Exactly," he sneered. "We just have to figure out how to get away. Should we each take a hostage and threaten to shoot if we're chased, and let them go once we're sure the police aren't hot on our trail, or something different?"

"We'll do the hostage plan." My gears in my brain were starting to shift into place. Thieving was where I was brilliant, a genius. I'd never been caught. But that was hardly something to brag about, nobody here had ever been caught. Failure means death. One of the many mottos in this Organization. If you fail suicide, or someone else will take care of that job for you.

"Hand me a blueprint of the bank," I gestured toward the papers they were holding. "I need to start seriously planning."

In three days, we had already devised a nearly foolproof robbery plan. When we turned it into the boss, he approved of it. "You can start at anytime. The exact date planned before is not necessary."

"Then, would we able to go the day after tomorrow?" I asked. "We'll scout the bank tomorrow, and have Vermouth work on disguising us that night."

"I'll tell her." His tone was dismissive once again. As we turned around to leave, he said two more words. "Good luck." But the words had no sincerity in them. They sounded like a death sentence.

Would I leave the robbery alive? It was a question for the future. Either way, I would just have to protect my sister. And hopefully, if I died, I would get a goodbye.

Long chapters. I think I'll just read it on FF.net.

That's a good idea. But juswarn you, it's currently at 45 chapters and one omake. Review while you read, 'kay?

Sorry for double-post, but here's chapters 10-14!

Chapter 10

Heiji's POV

I motioned for Mouri to follow me to the police car that had been waiting outside of the funeral home. She was crying; it had been her best friend's funeral after all. Kazuha was trying to comfort her as best as she could, but it wasn't working all that well. I opened up the car door for them, and then I climbed into the front next to the policeman Takagi.

"Mouri remembered something important," I explained. "Bring us to Inspector Megure, please." He nodded, and the car zoomed off.

I looked back, concerned about Mouri's state. Surprisingly, she had already stopped crying, and it seemed as if she was whispering to someone, someone just outside the car window. But there wasn't anything, and no sound came from her mouth. She looked like she was smiling, as if someone or something had comforted her. Strange, very, very, strange.

"Would it be okay for me to ask what she remembered?" Takagi asked.

I shook my head. "I want it to wait until we get to Inspector Megure. Then, hopefully Mouri will be able to say it herself, I wouldn't want to mess up her story."

"There isn't actually much to tell," Mouri said suddenly. "I only know the faces, and nothing else." Her face looked guilty, as if she was hiding something. "I could have stopped him, if only I knew those would be the last words he would say to me alive…"

What strange phrasing. "Last words he would say to me alive…" It suggested that he had talked to her in death. But that was impossible, there was no such thing as ghosts. No such thing.

Mouri's tears started again, and Kazuha hugged her. She hugged her back, and I knew I shouldn't watch anymore. Didn't want to intrude on a girl to girl moment.

I wished I had gotten to know Kudo. From what I had heard, he'd had the same interests as me, thought like me, lived like me. Both of us had a girl we liked by the looks of it. Best friends such childhood, but not enough courage to admit our truest feelings. But that's where his story ended, cut down by death. I wondered if I should confess to Kazuha, because a detective never knows when his own death will come…

The car jerked to a stop, and I flew forward, taken by surprise. "Hattori-kun," Takagi said, scanning me worriedly. "We're here. Are you okay?"

"I'm absolutely fine." I fixed my baseball cap which had gotten lopsided when the car stopped. "Just taken by surprise is all!"

"Jeez, Heiji," Kazuha sighed. "Always so darn clumsy." Would confessing to such a person really end up in success. I would delay it a little longer.

When I got off, I was surprised to see the police headquarters instead of the amusement park. "Why are we here?"

"Oh right, Hattori-kun!" Takagi exclaimed. "There seems to be no more information that we can derive from the crime scene, so we're discussing everything at the headquarters."

In about ten minutes, we were at a meeting further discussing Kudo's death. "Mouri has information on who she believes are primary suspects. She thinks this was not a premeditated murder, as she had never seen the suspects nor did Kudo show any sign of recognition. Mouri, would you please begin."

"Thank you, Hattori-kun," she started. "When Shinichi and I were at the roller coaster murder case, there were two men who had the look of criminals about them. One of them was tall, and had long blonde hair. The other was slightly shorter, and both of them were dressed in completely black. The reason I mention them, is because right before Shinichi ran into the alleyway, I caught sight of the shorter man heading into the same alleyway. He must have followed the man, and was killed when he witnessed suspicious dealings!"

"Two men in black you say?" commented Inspector Megure. Then his face lit up in realization. "Those two! I had thought they seemed suspicious at the previous murder! But Kudo declared them innocent then, so I didn't really look too far into that. Good job, Ran-kun, now we have suspects. And even if they are innocent here, they might have witnessed something."

"Mmm…" Mouri nodded, and looked liked she was listening intently to something.

"Everyone, see if you can find anyone with a description like that. The taller blonde hair man should be easier to find, it's hard to forget seeing someone with such long hair. Shiratori-kun." Inspector Megure turned to the policeman. "Help me look through files of known organizations. As we stated before, the suspects are most likely part of a mafia group!"

"Excuse me," I interrupted. "Are we needed?"

"No, it's fine, Hattori-kun. You're allowed to go." He waved us goodbye.

"I'm not really needed right now either." Takagi walked up to us. "Would you like me to take you somewhere?"

"It's about lunchtime." Kazuha stared at her watch. "Heiji, can you take us out for some gyoza? I'm hungry!"

"Then would you like to join us, Mouri?" I asked her.

"That sounds good. I know some good gyoza restaurants in town, would you like me to show you?" she offered.

"Just tell us your favorite, Ran-chan!" Kazuha said. "That'll be good enough for us!"

"There was this one near my house that Shinichi and I used to go to a lot. It's in Beika fifth district. Takagi-san, could you take us to my house? We can walk from there."

"Okay." He answered. We were at the police car now. "Hop in!"

There was something strange about Mouri. Sometimes mentioning Kudo's name, she'd break out into tears. And other times, she'd act like it was perfectly normal. The last words he said to me alive. Did a ghost exist? I had no idea, but I was going to find out, or else I wouldn't be Hattori Heiji, famous detective of the west!

Chapter 11: Chapter 11Chapter 11

Shinichi's POV

*Note: Even I am confused about exactly what day the bank robbery is compared to the funeral and such. I am just going to put down 'two days after the funeral' and fix it if someone figures out what day it actually is.*

Two days after the funeral, little progress had been made in the investigation. Even though Ran told all she could and a little bit more, the suspects had not been found, and the possibility of an Organization had not been confirmed. Ran had also been skipping school for days, too busy in helping the police find clues, but today, we were joining Hattori and Tooyama for lunch.

They'd been very helpful, and I was grateful to them. The parts I couldn't help Ran with because it would seem very suspicious, Hattori managed to come up with, and make it sound perfectly plausible. Tooyama had become a very good friend to Ran, and always managed to cheer her up.

It was still morning, and Ran was sleeping peacefully on her bed. Sunlight pierced through the window, and climbed up the white walls to paint them a light golden tint. She opened her eyes, and blinked.

Good morning, Shinichi, she greeted me. How was your night?

Pretty boring, actually. There's only so much time you can pay attention to a person who's asleep.

That must suck, she sympathized. Wish I could help you with that part.

What time are Hattori and Tooyama coming? I asked.

Umm... She looked at the clock, and gasped in shock. Crap! They're coming in five minutes! I'm still in my pajamas and I need to brush my hair too!

Calm down, Ran. 'Calm down, Ran.' One of the last times I had told her to calm down was after she freaked out seeing the roller coaster case. It didn't help much.

Turn yourself off now! She was holding the clothes she was going to change into, and slightly blushing.

I faded into a slight unconsciousness, trying to keep everything in my head peaceful. But, there were definitely multiple problems.

The mysterious organization that had killed me.

My parents.

Being a ghost.

The strange look Hattori had cast at Ran the other day.

Ran.

We were supposedly a couple in love, even before we had admitted it to each other. My friends in class would tease us constantly, calling Ran my wife, Ran's friends calling me her husband, the only thing was, we'd never really had a truly 'romantic' moment. Sure there were moments that were eligible for kisses, but there never was one, was there?

A knock came from the door, and Hattori's voice. "Mouri, you ready yet?"

"Almost!" she answered. Shinichi, you can open your eyes now. "Okay, you guys can come in!"

"Good morning, Ran-chan!" Kazuha said cheerfully. "How was your night?"

"I slept well." Ran smiled at her. Truthfully, I'd kept her up half the night talking, until she was too exhausted to continue. "Skipped breakfast though; I just woke up now."

"About time too," Hattori commented. "It's nearly eleven, bit early for lunch. I need to hit the bank first, I ran out of cash. Didn't expect to be in Tokyo this long."

"Are you guys going back to Osaka any time soon?"

"I'm staying for another week," Hattori answered. "I'm a hired detective. Kazuha has to go back soon, like two or three days. We do have school, ya' know."

You've skipped that for three whole days now, Ran. Better hope you didn't miss something important, a good education is essential if you want to succeed in life.

She didn't answer, but I could tell there was a burning weight on her mind. Something she didn't want me to know. Something about me, I could feel that much, and sorrow. Sorrow, guilt, and determination. What was it?

Nothing you need to know. Her voice was slightly robotic.

Fifteen minutes passed, and we were at the Teito bank, where a huge commotion was taking place. People were screaming, staring inside and I froze as Ran turned.

There were two armed robbers, pointing their guns at the hostages, tied up in ropes and with duct tape over their mouths, and the guns held in their other hands were pointed at the onlookers. People were backing up and running, not wanting to be hit by a bullet. One of them held several briefcases, obviously full of money, and faced the police that were waiting outside.

"If you don't want these hostages dead, then I suggest that you let us walk away." The voice came from a speaker that had been attached to the locked doors. "Clear the entrance, or I'll put a bullet through this man's head!"

The woman, who had light blonde hair and a sharp pointed face, pressed the barrel to side of his head to prove her point. The police backed away, and she opened the door, still holding the helpless hostage. "If you take on step, I'll kill him!" she threatened the police. The big stocky man behind her came out, holding the briefcases stuffed with cash.

Once they made sure the police were not going to follow, they ran in separate directions. I felt a strange tingling feeling, that I had to follow. Who were these people?

Ran, follow that woman! I commanded.

Wordlessly, she ran off in the woman's direction. "Wait, Ran-chan! Where are you going?" Tooyama cried out.

The hostage was dropped two blocks off, along with a disguise. However, we could still see the sprinting figure, making its way toward a parking garage. A getaway car!

Ran was slowing down, not able to keep the sharp pace the other woman had kept. Ran, keep going!

I had to catch that person. I had no idea why, but I felt it was important. That if I didn't do so, I would regret it forever.

Chapter 12: Chapter 12Chapter 12

Akemi's POV

*The last POV from Akemi. I feel sad, her point of view was quite fun to write from. P.S. 110 is the Japanese 911.*

I tore the disguise that Vermouth had created for me off my face, and dropped the hostage. The police were not heading after me yet, and with my disguise off, they wouldn't be able to recognize. My mask had changed the shape of my face, and a wig hid my hair color. I chuckled, elated with my success.

The heist had been a snap. One gun shot in the air, and people were willing to do anything to save their skins. The bank had all the money we needed, plus we had stolen a whole briefcase of solid gold. Good thing my partner was strong. He had taken the shorter path; splitting up had been the idea. The mission had succeeded, and now my sister and I would be free, free, free! I laughed, and that's when I heard footsteps behind me.

A teenage girl was chasing me, but she wasn't for the police. She was utterly alone, and slowing down fast. No danger, but I readied my handgun just in case.

When I reached the parking garage where the getaway car was, I ran around the block, in order to confuse the girl if she was still following. I could see the getaway car now, right inside the parking garage, with the driver ready to go. My helper was already in, but then I saw him flash an evil smile. The moment I entered the garage, the car flew past me, and left me behind.

"Ah!" I cried, unable to say anything, while reaching my hand toward it. The car skidded the turn, and disappeared from view.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Sherry's older sister." Gin's chuckle sounded from inside the garage. He stepped out from behind his black Porsche 356A, holding a gun in his hands. "How'd the heist go?"

So this is why the boss agreed to free Shiho and I. "Pretty well," I answered coolly, showing no emotion on my face. "Got all the money I needed. You dyed your hair silver?"

His long blonde hair was now silver-white, not a single golden strand in sight. "Thought it'd look better this way. Besides, someone found out the culprit has long blonde hair. Silver's quite a change."

"I see." I tried to back up slowly, so I could run.

"Not so fast, Akemi." He raised his gun and moved forward. "I've got some things to discuss with you before you die. You probably want to know why I'm here when the robbery was successful, right?" His voice was light and somewhat seductive, but full of malice. It reminded me of a fox.

"I was never allowed to live, was I?" I asked, sweat starting to come down my face.

"There is no room for people who are a liability in our Organization." He sneered at me, aiming for my chest. "What will poor Sherry think? When her big sister is gone?"

"Don't you even dare touch Shiho!" I screamed, forgetting my fear. "Just kill me, don't hurt Shiho!"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." He shook his head in amusement. "I didn't get to that part yet. As for Shiho, a couple days without food or water should do the trick. Maybe a couple beatings with it."

"You…" I wanted to scream out every swear word I knew at him. He was every single one of them.

"Quiet now," he whispered. "It's time for the finale."

A flash, and then the sound of a bullet being shot. A bullet whizzing through the air. The pain of the bullet piercing my chest and finding my lungs. I started coughing, and blood came out instead. There were footsteps coming from outside. Was it the girl?

"Bye, bye." Gin drove past me, and left me bleeding as the girl charged in.

She gasped in shock, taking in my shirt, which was quickly turning red, my face and hands, now covered in blood, and the gun lying by my side. "Oh no…"

She started running toward me, then stopped as if by some invisible force. Whipping out her phone, she dialed 110. "Someone's been shot! In the parking garage near the bank robbery, come quickly!"

After she closed the phone, she approached me. Her gentle blue eyes were filled with fear, and her face was pale. She kneeled down, and I grabbed onto her hand.

"Are you with them?" she asked. "The man who shot you, who is he?"

"His name is Gin." I barely managed to get out. "Why?"

"He's the man who murdered my best friend." Her voice broke off. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"You don't have to stay here," I told her. Some people were meant for seeing these kinds of things, I didn't believe that she was one of them.

"I have to." She squeezed tighter. "I'll stay until you die, or until the ambulance comes."

"It pierced my lung. I won't be living."

I couldn't breathe anymore, it was caught in my throat with the blood. Then, I felt I had to tell the girl something.

"If you see someone named Shiho Miyano, please help her," I pleaded.

"Don't talk! I can hear the ambulance." I heard it too, the sound of sirens, but it was fading.

"She's my sister, if you see her, protect her please." I closed my eyes, and I could no longer hear. It was like falling asleep, except I'd never wake up.

Chapter 13: Chapter 13Chapter 13

Ran's POV

Even as the ambulance entered the garage, I still clasped tightly onto the woman's hand. She had stopped breathing, and her fingers were already turning cold. "If you see someone named Shiho Miyano, please help her. She's my sister, if you see her, protect her please."

Those words… they shook me to the core. In the minute I had seen her, she had trusted me enough to tell me to help her sister. She didn't seem like a bad person, despite the face I knew that she was in the bank robbery. Ran, are you okay?

Shinichi… His voice broke the silence he had been keeping. Does it always feel like this? Seeing murder? Seeing death? I knew I was crying, the tears were hot rivers running down my face.

It's never easy. But I was a detective. My job wasn't to grieve, but to bring justice. Even though his words showed confidence, they seemed to be shaking.

What's wrong, Shinichi?

That man, you saw the one in the car, right? he asked. I tried to recall him. Long silver hair, and dressed in complete black. Then it hit me.

He was the one that killed you, wasn't he? I was shocked. He killed you.

Yes, by solving my murder, we can also bring justice to this woman, whoever she was. He made a gesture to the woman whose hand I was still holding. The ambulance stopped, and medics raced out, and then slowed. It was easy to see that there was no use in going forward. This woman was gone.

"Ran-chan!" Kazuha-chan's voice rang out. I looked in the direction of her voice to see her and Hattori-kun sprinting toward me.

"What happened?" She looked at my bloody hands, and the woman being carried away.

"She was one of the bank robbers. A man shot her. She's dead." It was all I could say. Details weren't important at the moment. However, I needed Hattori-kun to know that her murderer was the same as Shinichi's. "Hattori-kun. The man that shot her, is the same one that killed Shinichi."

"The same one that killed him?" he asked. "What are you talking about? We haven't found a murderer yet."

Play it calm, Ran. Don't let him suspect anything. He's sharp.

"Just a feeling I had." I had already let one thing slip. No more. "Except his hair was dyed silver. The blonde hair man, look for one with silver hair now."

Hattori-kun looked skeptical, not visibly shaken by the killing of the woman. I thought I heard him mutter 'Same murderer, eh?' and 'Something's not right here.' Kazuha-chan on the other hand, was shivering from fear, looking like a vulnerable baby animal.

"Mouri." Hattori-kun looked at me, and I flinched from the strange intense fire in his eyes. "Why do you know so much more about Kudo's death than you said you did? You're definitely hiding something."

"No I'm not!" I lied. "Do you think I wouldn't have said anything? My best friend was murdered! How would I not tell you everything I know!"

His face told me he was not deceived. "Heiji, knock it off," said Kazuha, sniffling. "Ran-chan's been having a rough time these past few days. And she wouldn't be lying."

The fire in his eyes transformed back into flowing water as he looked at Kazuha. "Okay." He pulled a tissue out of his pocket and handed it to her. "You might want to use this."

That kid's not going to let it go, Shinichi warned.

I can tell.

Could you please tell me what you were thinking of earlier? The one you wouldn't tell me? Please Ran? I'm dying to know.

No, it's my secret. Not even you can know. There was no way anyone was going to find out. Except for him. In the very end, when he left me. Because, there was only so much I wanted to go through without him with me.

"I'm not in the mood for lunch anymore," I said wistfully. "I think I'm going to go home."

"I wouldn't do that, Mouri. You'd only have to come back. This is murder, the police will need your help for this one too." He looked towards the entrance, and I followed his gaze to the black and white police cars that were heading in.

The interview was short. I didn't actually know anything, except for how the silver-haired man looked. Not the woman's name, not what happened, not why she was killed, nothing. I left out the part where she told me to protect her sister. I felt it was private.

"Thank you for your help, Ran-kun." Inspector Megure put away the notebook he had been writing in. "Okay, let's go!" The police officers that had come with him followed him into the cars.

Kazuha-chan and Hattori-kun had left when I was being interviewed. I had told them they could leave, so they could have lunch without me. Not to mention I needed to get away from Hattori-kun. He was definitely onto my secret.

Where are you going now? Shinichi asked.

Home. Where else would I go? I'd had enough for today. A bank robbery and a killing. It'd probably be up in the news tomorrow. I didn't want to see it.

However, because of this, we were one step closer to finding out who the silver-haired man was. And we were one step closer to catching Shinichi's murderer.

*Author's Note: The next chapter will be better! I promise. Shiho's POV next!*

Chapter 14: Chapter 14Chapter 14

Shiho's POV

Akemi hadn't come back from the robbery yesterday afternoon. I was still pacing, pacing, pacing, in my lab, restless from worry. Eventually, I fell into slumber at some point. I woke to the sound of a newspaper slammed onto my lab table. I saw a flash of white teeth and silver hair. "Gin…"

"Front page, take a look at the picture." I looked at the photo of Akemi, dead. Shot through the chest, death by collapsed lung. Other culprit has not yet been apprehended.

"No way," I whispered, shocked. "Not possible!" My voice rose to a scream. "She can't be dead, she can't be! She said she would come back! She told me that!"

"There's no room for traitors in this Organization," Gin whispered cruelly. "If she was that willing to desert, then she might as well die. I have the gun in question right here." He pulled a handgun out of his pocket, black and deadly.

"You bastard…" I growled through my teeth. "You dirty son of a-" His hand clamped over my mouth, and I felt someone tie my hands behind my back.

"Nice entrance, Vodka," he commented to his comrade. "A couple of days without food or drink should take care of your attitude, right?"

He snapped his fingers, and Vodka started dragging me out of the room. A gag was stuffed in my mouth, so it became impossible to scream all the swears that I wanted to. I tried to kick Vodka, and make him let go, but to no avail. A fist smacked into the top of my head, and I fell unconscious…

I woke up in a dark room, filthy and disgusting, handcuffed to a railing that ran against the wall. I pulled on it, and tried to unlock it, but I knew it wasn't going to be that simple. Ow… My arm stung as I tried to pull again. I pulled back the sleeve to reveal a streak of ugly bruises running down the length of my arm.

Now, with no one to be angry at, my fury turned to sorrow, and soon enough I was crying. Akemi was dead. She was really dead. She wasn't coming back to me. Not ever.

"Give me liberty, or give me death." I never thought that she would actually go that far. That she would actually die to try to free herself, and free me. And she never would have thought that the robbery was actually a plan to kill her off. Akemi almost always saw the best in people, and tried to avoid what was bad. Always, always, always...

Hmm? I felt a foreign object under my legs. What's this? It was the newspaper that Gin had slammed in my face and locked into my prison. His idea of a torturous joke. I examined it more closely now, trying to remember my sister. There was a girl holding her hand, crying. The captions named her Mouri Ran. Where had I heard that name before?

I thought back to the newspaper that Gin had slammed on my desk almost a week before, a caption highlighting the death of the famous high school detective, and the girl among the grieving. How interesting, both her and I were victims of Gin's cruelty. I wondered how it must feel, losing a boyfriend. It couldn't be nearly as bad as losing a sister, the only person who had ever mattered to me.

Our parents were long dead, killed in a accident over ten years before. I hadn't even gotten a chance to know them, so when they died, it didn't even hit me hard. But now, I wasn't so sure. The iron cage I had locked my heart in was starting to break, and once it did, I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I didn't want to escape my prison. I wanted to escape the world.

They should to change it to, 'Give me liberty, and give me death.' I thought. If you really want to be free, the only way is to die, right? To escape this stupid place, and move on to whatever's out there.

I knew what to do next. With my free hand, I reached into the hidden pocket of my lab jacket to reveal the poison I kept inside. "APTX 4869…" I whispered to myself. Akemi would be against this. She'd tell me to live on, if not for myself, for her. But she wasn't here anymore, was she?

I lifted it up to my mouth, and hesitated. Would it hurt? How would it feel? Would I join Akemi? Stop! I cleared my mind before I had chance to change it. If I thought too far, I wouldn't have the courage to swallow the poison. Placing it on my tongue, I gnawed open the capsule with my teeth, and swallowed the contents. Nearly immediately, I felt the change.

The world seemed to be shaking, like there was an earthquake. My head pounded furiously with pain as my heart raced faster and faster. The air seemed to become thinner, and my lungs didn't seem able to process it. I started to regret my decision, until I heard the hallucination of my sister in my ear. Shiho… That was right. I'd join her. Nothing to be afraid of.

The pain was nearly overwhelming now, and the last of my breath was being gathered for one last shriek of torture. "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" I screamed, as my heart felt like it was being wrenched apart. Then silence.

Was I dead? The pain had stopped, so why was I still in my prison cell?