Conan, Kid, and the Crystal Mother
Kaitou Kid targets the Crystal Mother, a jewel worn by Queen Selizabeth of the Principality of Ingram, who is currently touring Japan on the Royal Express railway. The train's other passengers include:
- Inspector Nakamori and his men, here to provide additional security.
- Kaito and Aoko, who had requested tickets from the Inspector, along with invitations to meet the queen.
- Ran and Conan, who had been invited to Osaka by Kazuha.
- Prince Philip, the queen's only son.
Kid breaks into Queen Selizabeth's private room, and is confronted by the queen at gunpoint, but leaves after realizing that the Crystal Mother around her neck is a fake. The queen tells Inspector Nakamori of this soon after, and Philip quickly notices that Kid has attached a listening device to the fake jewel. While Kaito eavesdrops with the fake jewel, Inspector Nakamori removes the bug and screams into it, which disturbs but does not dissuade Kaito.
Meanwhile, Conan becomes suspicious upon noticing that Inspector Nakamori is escorting the queen. Though he suspects another Kaitou Kid heist, he cannot confirm it, as those without invitations are barred from visiting the queen's carriage.
Elsewhere on the train, a man with a horseshoe mustache and a woman named Rose confer with one another. They, too, are after the Crystal Mother, and decide to let Kid steal it for them before taking it, along with Kid's life. Rose also plans to kill the queen afterwards, to build a reputation as the world's number-one sniper.
In the queen's carriage, Inspector Nakamori tries to find out where the real Crystal Mother is, but the queen refuses to tell him and invites him to drink wine instead. Kaito and Aoko the carriage shortly after, and find the Inspector quite drunk. Kaito searches several unlikely spots in the carriage for the topaz, but fails to find it. During the search, Prince Philip speaks with Kaito and Aoko, explaining that he wants to guard the Crystal Mother even though he hates his mother for her cold, aloof attitude.
Upon hearing this, Queen Selizabeth loses her temper and throws Philip out of the room, forbidding him to come back in. A crying Philip then encounters Conan, who learns the details from the heist from him. Upon realizing that Philip doesn't know where the real Crystal Mother is either, Conan employs the logic of Father Brown to deduce its location.
Where does a wise man hide a leaf? In the forest. But what does he do if there is no forest? He grows a forest to hide it in.—Conan, quoting Father Brown from "The Sign of the Broken Sword".
Conan then realizes that someone is eavesdropping on him, and opens the door to find the man with the horseshoe mustache right outside. The man excuses himself, but Conan finds his face familiar and tries to trail him. However, Conan is soon found by Ran, who drags him back to his seat.
As the Royal Express approaches Osaka, Kaito finally realizes where the real Crystal Mother is hidden; to set the stage for Kid's reappearance, he knocks Aoko unconscious and shuts off all lights on the train. Meanwhile, Conan finally remembers where he had seen the man's face: in the criminal database on Dr. Agasa's computer. The man is Jackal, a notorious international jewel thief.
Manga to anime changes
- Like the first OVA, this OVA was an expanded adaptation of a story from the Magic Kaito manga. The original manga version of the story did not contain Conan, Ran, or Rose, or any of their respective subplots.
- In the manga, the first meeting between Kid and Queen Selizabeth is not depicted, and only mentioned in passing.
- For some unknown reason, the OVA renames Snake as "Jackal", though he mostly retains his physical appearance. All mentions of Pandora are also dropped.
- In the manga, Kaito knocks out Aoko by slipping a knockout pill into her drink; the OVA changes this to a drugged coaster that Aoko sniffs, enchanted by the flower design.
- In the manga, the Foreign Affairs Minister is not named and does very little. The OVA identifies him as "Jikan Shina" and inserts a scene where he takes several photos of the battle between Jackal and Kid on his cell phone and shows them to Queen Selizabeth, who promptly faints at the sight.
- For some unknown reason the OVA adaptation of the original Magic Kaito manga chapter reveals Snake's international codename "Jackal". Regardless, this codename still doesn't seem to correlate to any alcoholic drink so this character's name continues to provide support for the theory that the organization Kaito's after and the Black Organization are two separate groups. It can also be noted that Conan is the only character to refer to him as such. This could simply mean that "Jackal" is the name he's known for as an internationally wanted jewel thief, and that his current codename may remain as Snake.
- The woman with the codename Rose, like Snake may seem to be unrelated to any alcoholic drink, but in fact both are types of wine. This is not solid proof of a connection to the Black Organization, but is worth mentioning.
- This is the first, if not the only, Detective Conan case, that even deals with the evil organization from Magic Kaito, even if it's boss has a different nickname in this case.
- After the credits, Conan heard Kid say, "Next time, I'll help myself to the Jewel of Destiny," what Kaito Kid is referring to will be his target in Magician of the Silver Sky, the 8th movie.
- The Kushiro marshland sunset painting in the train is from The Crane's Return of a Favor Murder Case. Open spoiler box to see images.
|Detective Conan OVAs|
|OVAs||Conan vs. Kid vs. Yaiba - The Grand Battle for the Treasure Sword!! • 16 Suspects!? • Conan, Heiji, and the Vanished Boy • Conan, Kid, and the Crystal Mother • The Target is Kogoro!! The Detective Boys' Secret Report • Follow the Vanished Diamond! Conan & Heiji vs. Kid! • A Challenge from Agasa! Agasa vs. Conan and the Detective Boys • The Casebook of Female High-School Detective Sonoko Suzuki • The Stranger from Ten Years Later • Kid in Trap Island • A Secret Order From London • The Miracle of Excalibur|
|Magic and Bonus Files||Magic File • Magic File 2: Shinichi Kudo, The Case of the Mysterious Wall and the Black Lab • Magic File 3: Shinichi and Ran, Memories of Mahjong Tiles and Tanabata • Magic File 4: The Osaka Okonomiyaki Odyssey • Magic File 5: Niigata~Tokyo Souvenir Capriccio • Bonus File 1: Flower of Fantasista|
|Gosho Aoyama's Collection of Short Stories||Wait For Me • The Wandering Red Butterfly • The Santa Claus of Summer • Detective George's Mini-Mini Big Strategy • The Ten Planets in the Night Sky • Play It Again • The Mysterious Murder Plan (The Making of Conan)|
|Detective Conan vs. Wooo||Fatuous Detective!? Kogoro Mouri • Television Personality Maomi Yuki's Worries|
|Others||Amuro Secret Call (promotional bonus)|