Detective Conan World
Scar Akai

Apoptoxin 4869

I am wondering why the forum doesn't have this topic as I was about Τ☺ post something funny about the movie 'Green Hornet' which I am currently watching at the cinema. The father was killed ny a poison called 'apitoxin' which made me go nuts....
So , let's discuss about apotoxin and the related topics here!

I am wondering why the forum doesn't have this topic as I was about Τ☺ post something funny about the movie 'Green Hornet' which I am currently watching at the cinema. The father was killed ny a poison called 'apitoxin' which made me go nuts....

Uh...the poison is called apitoxin? rolleyes.gif

i seen the movie and now that you mention it.... :blink:

As for DC I wonder when Ai will make the permanent antidote or at least a week antidote, its been a while since she had a breakthrough working with it.:mellow:

With a movie title like Green Hornet, are you sure "Apitoxin" doesn't refer to bees? The "api" prefix is associated with bees, being used in words like "Apiary" (a place where beehives are kept), "Apiology" (Study of honeybees), and "Apis" (a bee genus). Apis means bee in latin.

Apoptoxin refers to "apoptosis" which is is the process of programmed cell death and is entirely different from bees.

• Upvote 2

What I meant was maybe they based the name on apotoxin...

Anyway, what do you think is the effect of Apotoxin 4869? Does it shrunk people to make them look 10 years younger or what?

Anyway, what do you think is the effect of Apotoxin 4869? Does it shrunk people to make them look 10 years younger or what?

I doubt it is as simple as (current age - 10 years), but we would have to see the effects on someone older to be sure.

i seen the movie and now that you mention it.... :blink:

As for DC I wonder when Ai will make the permanent antidote or at least a week antidote, its been a while since she had a breakthrough working with it.:mellow:

I'm sure most of us are rooting for this to happen, but as I mentioned before, the producers of DC are saving the best for last - in other words, waiting until such time they decide to end the series before introducing the ultimate antidote for this drug. Getting Conan permanently back to Shinichi will inevitably take the air out of the series, so the producers are purposely delaying this event.

I'm sure most of us are rooting for this to happen, but as I mentioned before, the producers of DC are saving the best for last - in other words, waiting until such time they decide to end the series before introducing the ultimate antidote for this drug. Getting Conan permanently back to Shinichi will inevitably take the air out of the series, so the producers are purposely delaying this event.

I agree they may think that, but i would like the series more if he was his old self again,I wanted it to happen a long time ago.

I agree they may think that, but i would like the series more if he was his old self again,I wanted it to happen a long time ago.

I agree I too would like to see the show continue a bit more of his teen self before finishing it off.

As always the Japanese will finish the story with a movie.

It would be nice if there a spin off when this finish. Would prefer it if it about the BO.

I'mn posting to keep this topic alive...

also...ït's Apoptoxin-4869...

which is drug to make ppl younger but for some stupid reason it kills of everyone...except one mice and two teens...for now...

I have a question about this:

Do you grow after taking it? So if Conan waits 10 years or so will he be the same Shinichi again?

If you do grow then if these characters keep growing while the series progresses Conan will become more and more like the Shinichi Ran knows...

I have a question about this:

Do you grow after taking it? So if Conan waits 10 years or so will he be the same Shinichi again?

If you do grow then if these characters keep growing while the series progresses Conan will become more and more like the Shinichi Ran knows...

We do not know. The only information that is known is that you revert back after an antidote has been administered. There are two possibilities... The first is that the telomerase keeps the poly-a tail at the same length throughout its duration in the system. If this is the case then, yes, Conan will not age. The second is that the cells will follow the same path with additional, noncancerous, telomerase activity. If this is the case then the same degradation will occur as per usual and Conan will age normally.

Considering that it is unlikely that it will come to that, we will never know which of the two scenarios is actually correct. I'm more inclined to side with the latter theory since it makes more sense, unless APTX somehow keeps on creating an exponential amount of Telomerase to keep up with the necessary anti-aging properties.

The anime team would lead you to believe that growth will occur as normal as well, in OVA 9. So you may want to subscribe to that, since Gosho sometimes uses information popularized by the anime.

EDIT: Reason: shameless plug... :) If you want... I'll be doing a full analysis of APTX over at Detective Conan Toxicology along with a bunch of other drugs. When I really start the analysis, theories on how it works will be posted, which will naturally have to include the shrinking/growing.

I've been wondering about it lately. What is the concept behind the name APOTOXIN. ANd why does it have the numbers 4869 after it? Is there a signifcant or special meaning behind it? I haven't even heard Haibara say a thing as to why it is called APOTOXIN. Why? Why? Why? I can understand the "toxin" part in apotoxin, meaning it was considered poison, but what is the true purpose for creating it? Was it named APOTOXIN before or after it was discovered as poison? And how did the Organization know that it was poison? ARGGHHH! So many questions once I started thinking about it. Help me! Onegai!

Apotoxin is a derivative for "Apoptosis" or the program for cell death which is then one of the most common effects of the drug besides shrinking. As for 4869, it's Gin's plate number so it's rather speculative that Ai and Gin have some sort of relationship (maybe romantic). If not, why should she name her drug that way? The other thing is that Gina could have named it. Whatever, I just wish they turn back to their older selves

I've been wondering about it lately. What is the concept behind the name APOTOXIN. ANd why does it have the numbers 4869 after it? Is there a signifcant or special meaning behind it? I haven't even heard Haibara say a thing as to why it is called APOTOXIN. Why? Why? Why? I can understand the "toxin" part in apotoxin, meaning it was considered poison, but what is the true purpose for creating it? Was it named APOTOXIN before or after it was discovered as poison? And how did the Organization know that it was poison? ARGGHHH! So many questions once I started thinking about it. Help me! Onegai!

The numbers 4869 are play-on words for "Sherlock" (pronounced shi-ha-ro-ku). As for "Apotoxin", the prefix apo- can mean "derivative of", so APTX 4869 is essentially a derivative of an unknown toxin. Or the "apotoxin" be derived from the process known as apoptosis.

The numbers 4869 are play-on words for "Sherlock" (pronounced shi-ha-ro-ku). As for "Apotoxin", the prefix apo- can mean "derivative of", so APTX 4869 is essentially a derivative of an unknown toxin. Or the "apotoxin" be derived from the process known as apoptosis.

Is that so? Lol. I just remember that the password for the APTX FILE is "Shelling Ford". Haha. That's a nice of tidbit of info. Thanks

I don't think Gin's car's plate number being 4869 is canon.

Isn't it? I thought I saw it mentioned back in episode 176???

Mod note: Please edit your previous post using the the edit button or use the multipost feature to reply to several people at once instead of double posting.

Quick note, it is Apoptoxin with the extra p.

Other people have answered some of your questions, but Haibara talked about some of the origin behind Apoptoxin, including the name in Reunion with the Black Organization. The true purpose of it has not been revealed although there were several hints in the description of the how it works and in Haibara's conversation with Pisco given in the same case which are discussed in the wiki article for Apoptoxin 4869 and in this forum thread Black Organization's true plan. When and who named it is unknown, but it didn't sound like Shiho named it to me. The number designation 4869 is unlikely to be a symbol of how many different versions were tried before because it is a deliberate pun. The BO knew it was a poison because it was tested on animals and it killed them.

As for "Apotoxin", the prefix apo- can mean "derivative of", so APTX 4869 is essentially a derivative of an unknown toxin. Or the "apotoxin" be derived from the process known as apoptosis.

I don't think that is what is going on here. The apo- prefix can mean "derived from, or related to", but since the name is based on "apoptosis", the prefix will take the etymological sense that apoptosis uses: apo- from Greek (ἀπό) meaning "away from". Apoptosis itself has roots in Greek (ἀπόπτωσις) meaning "a falling off". Ripping from Wikipedia, "In Greek, apoptosis translates to the 'dropping off' of petals or leaves from plants or trees."

I think the real origin of the apoptoxin comes from Japanese style portmaneaus. The Japanese language often stick two syllables of multiple words (often foreign) together to make a japanized contraction. You see it in words like "pasokon" meaning "personal computer" (pāsonaru konpyūta), "amefuto" meaning American Football, and the well-known-even-in-English "Pokemon" for "pocket monsters" (poketto monsutā). Apoptoxin likely has a similar origin from the English words "Apoptosis toxin".

I don't think Gin's car's plate number being 4869 is canon.

Isn't it? I thought I saw it mentioned back in episode 176???

The plate was never shown in manga, and even worse, it changed several times in the anime. Generally most fans don't consider things not shown in the manga to be canon even if they come from a manga based episode.

My theory was that Apoptoxin was created as a immortality/youth pill by the black org, and that the whole orginization is centered around it and its successful creation.

The project failed though, and it started killing people and leaving no trace, and that's what they started using it as.

Flash foward to the amusement park day with Shinichi, where he was hit with a side-effect that the wiki says was a one-in-a-million chance (though I'm not sure whether this information is canon)

Now this is what always bothered me about Haibara's character - she broke this suspension of disbelief for me. People dropping dead where ever Conan went? Sure! The same officers every shift? Why not?

But if this info is in-universe, it's really not likely that she too would get the side effect, because that would then amp up the chances to one in TWO million, and wow, that's high, almost too high.

I'm not being a good detective here because it's not impossible, it's just improbable. Since detective conan is an anime series, i might be looking too much into this but still, maybe this is our link!

Those chances are just too low to not eliminate and it's more likely that to survive Apoptoxin you have to have conditions and that it's not a matter of chance.

1. It is specially engineered for the boss (like maybe Vermouth) and Shinichi and Haibara are relatives of her. (which would wreck havoc on some shipping charts now that I think of it)

2. The key to surviving it is a High IQ

3. Something unique about their blood or bodies that the victims share. Here I'll assume that Vermouth is the third victim.

Which also makes me propose this: If number three were true, remember that Shinichi also has Ran's blood inside of him.

After seeing the Clash of Red and Black, it made me wonder if Gosho would make this plot-relevant. That would be interesting.

wow catching up on dc now i realize there's some holes in it but i think it's still my headcanon.

I wonder why Haibara hasn't made the permanent antidote of APTX. I mean, she lied about losing the drug data in Haido city hotel.  

that's true :/