Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

What's on Your Mind?

3 minutes ago, Ryo said:

OMM any of you guys on the DC Discord?

I wasn't aware there was one. Did it originate on the DCTP forums or something similar? 

4 minutes ago, machine said:

I wasn't aware there was one. Did it originate on the DCTP forums or something similar? 

Not sure, I joined like 2 months ago. It's been around for awhile, don't know the exact date. Figured since there isn't much activity on here, you guys could join up on there. 

1 hour ago, Ryo said:

Not sure, I joined like 2 months ago. It's been around for awhile, don't know the exact date. Figured since there isn't much activity on here, you guys could join up on there. 

Weird.. I wonder where it exactly came from then :huh:
I'd be up for joining it though, Do you have an invite link or remember where you found a link to the server?  

22 minutes ago, machine said:

Weird.. I wonder where it exactly came from then :huh:
I'd be up for joining it though, Do you have an invite link or remember where you found a link to the server?  

I found it on the DC reddit page idk who started it but it's cool. 

https://discord.gg/Rkt9Z

2nd DC server

https://discord.gg/4A4ZUV

Edited by Ryo

4 minutes ago, machine said:

Thanks! tumblr_m42qwwyvVm1r58lid.gif

edit: the first link expired :blush: I joined the 2nd one though

Nice! 

I forgot they set to expire by default unless you change it. 

Here's another https://discord.gg/yfFzmFS

Are you still machine on there?

1 minute ago, Ryo said:

Nice! 

I forgot they set to expire by default unless you change it. 

Here's another https://discord.gg/yfFzmFS

Are you still machine on there?

ty!

My username's 'robotical' on discord actually. Depending on how much overlap there is between here and the servers, I might change my nickname to 'machine' on there though

1 minute ago, machine said:

ty!

My username's 'robotical' on discord actually. Depending on how much overlap there is between here and the servers, I might change my nickname to 'machine' on there though

I knew you were robotical just by the name haha cool cool just wanna be able to identify you 

@machine

not sure if you're still on the python learning track, but I really recommend downloading an IDE first and finding lab-based curriculums that have a concept intro/lab/exercises lesson structure. (tried teaching myself with videos/codingbat/harvardx once; didn't really work out .-.)

OMM: Found out that BTS is performing at the AMAs this Sunday and appearing on The Ellen show in a few weeks. Not sure how I feel about that, considering that 1) DNA is far from their best stage performance and 2) Korean idol "etiquette" on TV interviews is really... off-putting? fake? "extra"? Like I still can't get used to it and imagining them sitting next to Ellen is just... aghhhh

On 10/6/2017 at 5:31 AM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

i see no problem with that

you can take different approaches to every movie 

there are a few thing i would have liked differently with kimi no na wa

After thinking about it for some time, I've reached the conclusion that Kimi no Na wa is my favorite movie.  Ever.  I know there are flaws and that it could have been better, but watching that movie in theaters for the first time was a pseudo-religious experience for me, and every subsequent viewing of the film makes me love it more and more.

Because I liked the movie so much, I can only see any adaptions/re-imaginings of the film failing to meet my expectations.  There are maybe one or two things they could do better than the original, but scores of things they could screw up, and I don't like those odds.  I also worry that the adaptation might be the next Dragon Ball Z live-action in terms of notoriety, or at the very least stir up controversy like Ghost in the Shell and Death Note did with "white-washing."  Hopefully, the movie turns out more like Edge of Tomorrow and less like the other three.  I really liked Edge of Tomorrow.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:47 PM, machine said:

OMM: I'm so excited for Animal Crossing Pocket Camp! Though unlikely, I hope they'll allow QR code clothing at some since it was one of my favorite parts of New Leaf. I wonder just how much variety it'll have (Specifically how many of the villagers and how many furniture items will be included in the game). I kinda doubt the game will have much longevity though, since it looks similar to Happy Home Designer in the sense that it's mainly placing furniture around, and no one really cares about HHD anymore... 

but nonetheless 

FjrTpdLGKwKH2Dknle8cCaJ4F7I@400x690.gif

Yo, I'm so glad that Animal Crossing mobile game is finally coming out!  I watched the announcement stream live, and while it doesn't look like something I'd enjoy, it's good that it's actually being released.  I've been playing Fire Emblem Heroes since launch day back in February, and it's the only Nintendo app game that I've stuck with up until now and it's a ton of fun.  Addictive as hell since it's a gacha, but fun as long as you can control your urges to spend and not get too upset when rolls don't go your way.  Hope you derive enjoyment from Pocket Camp!

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry this is short in comparison to what you wrote! 

Truth be told, I haven't been keeping up with the USUM news all that much so I appreciate your response also serving as an infodump. I still don't really have much of an opinion of it though tbh. What's been revealed thus far has been mostly uninteresting/underwhelming imo, but some aspects have been intriguing. Ultra Megalopolis and Team Skull's 'replacement' (not sure if they've been given an official name yet) stood out to me in particular. Po Town's change in weather is interesting too. IIRC, Po Town was really dilapidated in SM, so assuming Team Skull will be entirely cut out, I wonder if Po Town will be an actual settlement in USUM and not just be (mostly) abandoned ruins again.
Though not exactly surprisingly since looking back, it appears to be the standard for sequels, I am a bit disappointed the starters appear to be exactly the same. The lack of promotional material featuring the Trial Captains is relatively disappointing as well. Hau, Lillie, Gladion, and Kukui admittedly didn't grow on me very much, so (excluding Kahili) the characters I enjoyed the most were Trial Captains. Maybe they'll make cameos or something though....? And has it been confirmed only some of the empty land will be utilized? The absence of stuff being there seemed very deliberate and it seems like a very obvious waste of potential to just leave them as is.

There's been some new trailers (at least 2 right?) since you replied to my initial post, did those alter your opinion in any way, or are you still just as hyped? Also, are you preordering it? Regardless, which version do you plan on getting? I'm assuming which version of the sequel you get is entirely separate from OG Sun & Moon, but I'm curious if most people will stick to the same version they went with the first time. And to backtrack slightly, what do you think of the Ultra Beasts themselves? (both from SM and USUM) I don't particularly like them as a whole, but due to not keeping up with Pokemon news, have no idea what other people think of them. 

Well, we're a few hours away from USUM's launch, and the whole damn game was leaked a few days ago... ... .... ........ as per tradition. Game Freak never learns.

I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague, though I've watched all the new trailers.  I'm super pumped for the Team Rainbow Rocket postgame, which looks to be a lot of fun.  Part of me is happy they're using Archie and Maxie's RSE designs, since it's further proof of the multiverse being canon, but at the same time their characterizations in ORAS were so good it's a shame they won't be back.  Since we last spoke, a lot has been confirmed.  From the trailers, especially the Japanese ones (which actually showcased a bit more than I'd have liked), it looks like the Trials are back (rejoice!) except with a couple of changes to the puzzles and activities.  Team Skull is still around, and most everyone seems to be in the same role as they were in SM.  Lusamine doesn't seem to be as sinister as she was in SM though, so maybe that's different?  In the anime, which I'm keeping up to date with, she's not portrayed as a villain either.  Busy with her job and overly doting of Lillie, but nothing at all like her SM version.  Maybe they're shifting Lusamine away from villain srole and making Faba more of a central antagonist?  That's how the anime is shaping up as well.  It's going to be weird seeing that child-hating bean man as a competent villain, if that's actually the path they're going to take.

Also, I like the Trial Captains as much as anyone else (Lana is just too cute), and I can understand (though not agree with) your indifference to malasada boi, Alolan Yurio, and totally not Masked Royal.  But, to say that Lillie didn't grow on you very much--?!

13f.gif

boi you bout to catch these hands

Ahem, but yeah, from what I've heard (I was too lazy to verify), if you zoomed in on the large promotional map, you could see that only some of the empty plot of lands around the region had things built on them.  The others (maybe like 2 or three of them) are still empty.  There's a chance something will be put there in the post-game though, either in relation to Team Rainbow Rocket or as separate postgame content?  There weren't any new Alolan forms revealed, which doesn't bother me at all but I know others feel strongly about that.  That UB Adhesive looks kind of cute though.  I'm kind of mixed on the UBs.  I like their existence as a subject of lore, and I get they were trying to go for very alien-like designs to emphasize that they're from some very distant universe, but... their designs are still kinda.. weird and stuff, you know?  And also, they're not quite legendary Pokemon, but they're limited in quantity and can't do any breeding shenanigans, so they're not really normal Pokemon either?  I dunno, I personally would have preferred regular non-special Pokemon in place of them, simply because it'll be weird trying to fit those guys into future Pokemon titles without relying heavily on Ultra Wormholes and stuff, but whatever.  Alolan Pokemon have a similar problem, though not as bad.

Anyway, I'll be getting Ultra Moon!  I've come to always see Nebby as a Lunala, and I also like the version exclusives in UM more than US.  the vast majority of the games I played were "second titles," in that I experienced the new games for the first time via the bolded titles: Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl, Black and White, Black 2 and White 2, X and Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.  I played HeartGold over SoulSilver, but since I had played Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (which featured Lugia heavily) before Pokemon Colosseum (and played both before HGSS), I have more of an affinity toward SoulSilver's box legendary than HeartGold's.  The exclusive legendaries in UM align with these "second" titles, so I'll be playing it out of a mix of tradition and preference.  I don't have the game pre-ordered, but only because I'll be able to get it a few hours sooner than ordering on Amazon Prime if I just go to GameStop directly and pick up a copy.  I plan on taking the bus tomorrow morning to grab my copy, and I'll be playing practically nonstop for the next few days.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about revisiting Alola for the past few weeks.  I have my whole team planned out, based on Pokemon that were also obtainable in SM, so I probably won't be using any of the USUM exclusive additions to the Pokedex.  I'm not restricting myself to only 7th gen Pokemon anymore either, and I have a peculiar team "theme" for this run that requires me to use Pokemon I've never used before, many of which are extremely weak.  Here's to a good challenge, I think it'll be fun!

Also, I can't believe I forgot to ask this earlier, but are you going to get USUM?  If so which one will you get, and which starter will you choose?  If you end up getting it, I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it lived up to your expectations or not, the stuff you liked and disliked, etc.  I probably won't check back on DCW until I've finished the game, so don't worry about spoiling me if you finish the game and want to share your thoughts.

(And just to let you know, don't worry about not writing as much as me.  I have a habit to ramble on and on, both in writing and in person, and I won't take someone not being able to match me word for word as an insult.  If anything, I'm left in awe in how succinct some people can be!)

ikr irl nerds are liitterrallyy the worst. hanging out with or even just associating with them in public would be social suicide (^: 

--Joining a college-based tabletop group was actually my plan, but going in entirely blind seems a bit naive. Like I just wanna know what kind of atmosphere to expect, to what extent the 'socially awkward tabletop player' stereotype rings true (I lurk /r/DnD every once in a while, and the last time I did I saw like a PSA post about someone reminding people that if they join a new group, they should ask the group to go over boundaries at the beginning of the game since the OP joined a new group without being told that some of the members used their DnD sessions as a way to RP sexual fantasies, and subsequently had a really negative experience. It didn't even occur to me some people might be drawn to tabletop games for that reason, so I'm curious just how typical that is, and if most people who do play that way at least have the tact/courtesy to be upfront about it.), how beginner-friendly players tend to be, how common non-medieval settings are, and if there's any sort of unspoken, but generally well-understood etiquette I should be aware of tumblr_m42quperIZ1r58lid.jpg

I can understand your concerns, but there's no better way to learn than to just try!  If you really feel uneasy, maybe try to find someone part of the tabletop club to voice your uncertainties to?  E-mail the club president and ask what you need to ask; I'm sure they'll be happy to respond.

--

Also, @machine and @Ryo, let me add you dudes on Discord.  I don't use Discord to join any groups, since I'm too busy to go down that rabbit hole though I've been tempted to, so I won't be joining the DCW groups.  But I'm cool with adding you guys, if you don't mind.  @machine, I've sent you a friend request already, since your info was on your About Me page.  @Ryo, do you mind sharing your username?

--

OMM: I gave myself diabeetus gorging myself on sweets during Halloween.  I can't wait to give myself a heart attack eating a whole self-cooked turkey on Thanksgiving.

DOygoEFXUAAlKN-.jpg

12 minutes ago, Akazora said:

Also, @machine and @Ryo, let me add you dudes on Discord.  I don't use Discord to join any groups, since I'm too busy to go down that rabbit hole though I've been tempted to, so I won't be joining the DCW groups.  But I'm cool with adding you guys, if you don't mind.  @machine, I've sent you a friend request already, since your info was on your About Me page.  @Ryo, do you mind sharing your username?

Yeah man it's the same name: Ryo on Discord. Or Ryo#8137 if you gotta include that part. I'm on the DC Discord a lot now a days. 

7 hours ago, Akazora said:

After thinking about it for some time, I've reached the conclusion that Kimi no Na wa is my favorite movie.  Ever.  I know there are flaws and that it could have been better, but watching that movie in theaters for the first time was a pseudo-religious experience for me, and every subsequent viewing of the film makes me love it more and more.

Because I liked the movie so much, I can only see any adaptions/re-imaginings of the film failing to meet my expectations.  There are maybe one or two things they could do better than the original, but scores of things they could screw up, and I don't like those odds.  I also worry that the adaptation might be the next Dragon Ball Z live-action in terms of notoriety, or at the very least stir up controversy like Ghost in the Shell and Death Note did with "white-washing."  Hopefully, the movie turns out more like Edge of Tomorrow and less like the other three.  I really liked Edge of Tomorrow.

I get what you mean

but for me kimi no na wa is just a good movie

so im not that much on the defensive about it

Ghost in the shell was not good and death note, one of my all time favorite anime, was horrendous to say the least

i dont mind white washing, i prefer a more colorful cast anyway

i mean why does death note have to be in japan or ghost in the shell 

no one said they had to call him kira

edge of tomorrow way amazing

On 11/17/2017 at 5:19 AM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

I get what you mean

but for me kimi no na wa is just a good movie

so im not that much on the defensive about it

Ghost in the shell was not good and death note, one of my all time favorite anime, was horrendous to say the least

i dont mind white washing, i prefer a more colorful cast anyway

i mean why does death note have to be in japan or ghost in the shell 

no one said they had to call him kira

edge of tomorrow way amazing

You should mind though..

Those movies ended up being garbage. 

5 hours ago, Ryo said:

You should mind though..

they end up shit cause the studios think they can get money on name alone

they just think 

well if is 1 season of 24 ep so lets make 1 movie 

they should just stop and start developing a story

instead of cramping things 

like in the death note anime, L made his move after 7 episodes

here he is sooooooo stupid

and is not the character L

just some weirdo 

same with all the characters

they werent the characters we knew

so thats why its trash

same with dragon ball

its an adventure, jet for some reason he is in school

da fak

i can go on and on

but no

i think they can make good moies based on anime, regardless of race, but need to focus

42 minutes ago, Balthazar Manfredie said:

Does this forum have an active moderator around anymore

Nope, outside of Chek being gone for a few months, the rest have been gone for years. 

On 11/18/2017 at 10:46 PM, Ryo said:

You should mind though..

On 11/19/2017 at 4:53 AM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

they end up shit cause the studios think they can get money on name alone

they just think 

well if is 1 season of 24 ep so lets make 1 movie 

they should just stop and start developing a story

instead of cramping things 

like in the death note anime, L made his move after 7 episodes

here he is sooooooo stupid

and is not the character L

just some weirdo 

same with all the characters

they werent the characters we knew

so thats why its trash

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Netflix adaptation of Death Note. The drama is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of moral philosophy, most of the themes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Light's narcissistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Machiavellian literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these murders, to realize that they're not just awesome- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike the Netflix adaptation of Death Note truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the drama in Light's existential catchphrase from the original anime "I'll take a potato chip, and eat it" which itself was left out of the adaptation because of how trivial the scene was to the theme of the movie. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Adam Wingard’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. :D

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Death Note tattoo (one reminiscent of the Netflix adaptation, of course). And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid B)

--

In all seriousness though, I thought the movie was hilarious. The movie was so bad that my friends were willing to sit through the experience again just to see what my reaction was. I wasn't expecting it to be good, but maybe I was just pleasantly surprised because I wasn't going to take the movie seriously to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if I could sum up the entire movie in one picture, this would be it:

ZM2BCQb.png?1

Lmao at the tattoo part. Safe to say I had low expectations for the movie, haha. 

Someone tell Netflix scrap the adaptations, and give us what we really want: complete anime series.

OMM: Thoughts on the Infinity War trailer?

Edited by Ryo

8 hours ago, Ryo said:

Kind of underwhelming. Thor Ragnarok's trailer looked a lot more cooler and interesting. This one looks like the generic superhero movie: Alien comes, threatens to destroy the world, Superheroes unite and kill the bad guy.

OMM: I just had a dream about DCW and I had to come back after a long year. Hope everyone is doing fine :lol:

10 hours ago, Kenzi said:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the Netflix adaptation of Death Note. The drama is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of moral philosophy, most of the themes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Light's narcissistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Machiavellian literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these murders, to realize that they're not just awesome- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike the Netflix adaptation of Death Note truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the drama in Light's existential catchphrase from the original anime "I'll take a potato chip, and eat it" which itself was left out of the adaptation because of how trivial the scene was to the theme of the movie. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Adam Wingard’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. :D

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Death Note tattoo (one reminiscent of the Netflix adaptation, of course). And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid B)

--

In all seriousness though, I thought the movie was hilarious. The movie was so bad that my friends were willing to sit through the experience again just to see what my reaction was. I wasn't expecting it to be good, but maybe I was just pleasantly surprised because I wasn't going to take the movie seriously to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But if I could sum up the entire movie in one picture, this would be it:

ZM2BCQb.png?1

that was funny to read

sure its bad

but for me its not so much haha bad cause i love death note

hope they dont do more 

they lowbudget them

i dont want a code geass or gurren laggan netflix movie

those 2 need to be marvel studio ( because they are hot)

9 hours ago, Ryo said:

Lmao at the tattoo part. Safe to say I had low expectations for the movie, haha. 

Someone tell Netflix scrap the adaptations, and give us what we really want: complete anime series.

in time one studio will get an anime adaptation right

as for the trailer

it so great

im watching it everyday

we might finally get a marvel villain that is not underwhelming or tells jokes or isnt boring or overshadowed 

3 hours ago, Kjeldahl said:

Kind of underwhelming. Thor Ragnarok's trailer looked a lot more cooler and interesting. This one looks like the generic superhero movie: Alien comes, threatens to destroy the world, Superheroes unite and kill the bad guy.

OMM: I just had a dream about DCW and I had to come back after a long year. Hope everyone is doing fine :lol:

Haha, I can definitely see how you felt that way. Who knows, maybe it'll surprise us. I like Thanos, and could be really good, especially if a few characters end up dying...and welcome back man! long time no see! :D

1 hour ago, Balthazar Manfredie said:

as for the trailer

it so great

im watching it everyday

we might finally get a marvel villain that is not underwhelming or tells jokes or isnt boring or overshadowed 

Yeah, Thanos is pretty badass, especially as he collects the infinity stones. We're definitely gonna see some set up in this one as we move towards Avengers 4 in 2019, for the finale.