Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

What's on Your Mind?

spent an hour on spotify yesterday trying to find new songs and ended up with five daily mixes. spotify algorithm probably has no idea what to make of me

also! the german exchange kids at the football game last night were like 

giphy.gif

every time we made a touchdown and it gave me life hahaha

@Akazora do you have any thoughts on Ultra Sun and Moon yet?

--

OMM: I want to learn how to code (Python specifically) as a hobby since it sounds neat, and unlike some other hobbies, doesn't take up any physical space but nearly everything I can find is like "So you want more job opportunities/want to get into app development..." tumblr_m42qykugn91r58lid.gif It's considerably more difficult to try and find resources intended for people as directionless as I am

And unrelated but: is anyone here into tabletop gaming? I've been curious about it for a couple of years now, but I want to hear about other people's experiences with it before I start seriously considering anything

On 9/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, machine said:

@Akazora do you have any thoughts on Ultra Sun and Moon yet?

(I'm going to tag this so as to not spoil Sun and Moon for people who haven't played it yet)

Spoiler

I'm biased as heck in Sun and Moon's favor, since I loved the games so damn much.  Knowing that, it probably shouldn't be much of a surprise that I'm hype and have always been hype for USUM.  I've been looking for an excuse to experience the Alolan region all over again, and was even considering dropping another 40 bucks on a copy of Sun just to do it.  Even if USUM are more like Crystal/Emerald/Platinum and less like BW2, I would personally be more than satisfied.

I know I'm in the vast minority though.  From what I've seen, at least on reddit, most people don't have very high hopes for USUM.  The general opinion seems to be that USUM are just SM with a few new bells and whistles, with nothing new to contribute to the story and only a limited expansion of the region itself.  In other words, DLC masked as a full-priced game.  I can certainly see where this is coming from.  Unlike BW2, which was a sequel to BW and actually directly continued a story while introducing a ton of new updates to the Unova region, USUM is just an alternate universe.  Some have speculated that maybe it's an alternate universe where you move to Alola one year later than you would have in the SM universe, which causes a chain reaction that greatly alters the story and can only be appreciated if you'd played SM as well.  But considering the scene in a recent trailer that showed the MC, Hau, and Lusamine viewing the opening of an Ultra Wormhole at Aether Foundation (which looked identical to Nihilego's first appearance in SM) and a picture on the main Pokemon website that showed the MC finding Lillie and Nebby after they got lost in Melemele Meadow (which is a pixel perfect match from that same scene in SM, save for the textbox's aesthetic change), most signs are pointing to that not being the case.

There's also the issue of there simply not being too much to get people super excited.  For a long while, we only knew of a few new locations (the Pikachu Park, the new beaches on Melemele and Akala, that Ultra Space-ish bamboo lookin' place, etc.) but all of which seemed rather isolated and not very well integrated into the region.  There is Dusk Lycanroc, which is only obtainable through an event and not very interesting, as well as some new exclusive Z-Moves (like Clangorous Soulblaze for Kommo-o) which are okay I guess (except I don't ever plan on using Kommo-o, especially if it's a late-game catch again).  The one new feature to the game revealed so far, that picture studio mode, is considered by most (me included) to be just a one-and-done mini-game to try, and even then if the game's story doesn't require me to do it I may never even touch it.  And so far, despite some characters like Ryuki and Kahili looking like they're going to play a bigger role, others like Hau, Hala, Professor Kukui, Lillie, and Lusamine seem to reprise their roles from the original games.  Also, since the MC is running around with the Trial Amulet on, it's likely Island Trials are returning.  Some people were hoping those empty plots of land you can see around Alola in SM would become Gyms and that the Trials would be scrapped, back when people were speculating of a potential "Pokemon Stars."  But in USUM, only some of those empty plots of land have been filled, and at least one of them is now that picture studio I mentioned earlier.  Sooo, not a very convincing start.  UB Assembly and UB Burst have generated some decent hype though, as they're the first new Pokemon to be introduced mid-generation ever.  Granted, some are of the opinion that the UBs, while new Pokemon, aren't nearly as revolutionary as adding in, for example, a brand new evolutionary chain that you can randomly catch in the wild.  UBs are kind of like legendaries, and SM left them to be exclusively dealt with in the post-game.  Some are worried UB Assembly and UB Burst are just going to fill similar rolls as the Ultra Beasts in the Looker quest, detached from the main story.

But thankfully, there's still a lot to look forward to and speculate about!  For one, we haven't seen a single one of the Trial Captains in any way, so even if Trials are returning it's possible they'll be completely revamped.  I'm certainly hoping this is the case, as I loved the shenanigans of the Trials in SM but would probably be burnt out if I had to do the same things all over again.  Speaking of characters that haven't returned yet, Team Skull is curiously missing from all promotional material.  While we've seen parts of Aether Foundation members and Lusamine in trailers, nothing related to Team Skull has been shown yet.  And Po Town on the official USUM map is no longer experiencing rain!  It was always raining in Po Town fin SM, so maybe that's a clue?  If they completely removed Team Skull I would be a bit sad, since they're my favorite Pokemon team, but if they're revamped in some way that would be interesting to see!  Also, a CoroCoro scan has revealed the Pokedex with be at least 400 Pokemon this time, compared to the 300 from SM.  They'll mostly be Pokemon we've seen before, but some are holding out for potentially brand new additions to the Pokedex, like UB Assembly and UB Burst.  Finally, this new poster that has been put up in Japanese video game stores recently has me finna bust a nut.  Obviously, most eye catching are the four masked shadowy figures at the top near the dark Ultra Wormhole.  Some are thinking it's a rogue branch of the Aether Foundation, others are thinking they're members of the Aether Foundation from another universe that were transported here through an Ultra Wormhole.  Yet others think they're Team Galactic members who got lost in Ultra Space and ended up here as well (it would make for an interesting segue to the inevitable Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8).  We see our first look at Gladion (so technically first member of Team Skull that's returned, but there's no guarantee that he's even a member of their group this time around).  He's also missing his trusty Type:Null, which may just be because its irrelevant to the theme of the poster, but then again Lillie is featured with Nebby, sooo...  Speaking of Lillie, she's rocking that Z-powered form of hers and is even holding a Pokeball, so maybe she'll finally become a trainer??!  Perhaps she'll get that Alolan Vulpix that was shown in a few trailers, like she does in the anime.

We're less than two months away from release, and I'm excited.  There's still a lot we don't know, but I think I like it better this way.  I want to be surprised when I revisit the Alolan region in November!  Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Um, you don't have to type nearly as much as I did, but I'm curious as to what you think of what's been revealed so far as well.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, machine said:

And unrelated but: is anyone here into tabletop gaming? I've been curious about it for a couple of years now, but I want to hear about other people's experiences with it before I start seriously considering anything

ew why would you want to play games with people in real life :^)

But for real, I've ever only played basic stuff like Monopoly and Catan.  I'd probably play more if I had the time and friends to play them with.  The college I attend has a tabletop club, and I'm sure others do as well, so that might be a good place to start if you want to get into it.  (I can't remember if you're currently attending college right now, but it's something to consider if you have access to it)

On 9/9/2017 at 1:43 PM, Kirsch said:

spent an hour on spotify yesterday trying to find new songs and ended up with five daily mixes. spotify algorithm probably has no idea what to make of me

also! the german exchange kids at the football game last night were like 

giphy.gif

every time we made a touchdown and it gave me life hahaha

UMMM  HELLO

===

OMM: My history teacher is making us make these flashcard-like things for like 40 different terms but I have to write like a paragraph for each so somehow I have to write 30 more paragraphs by tomorrow OTL

On 9/21/2017 at 10:23 PM, Akazora said:

Catan

Cancer*

FTFY

--

OMM: some friends recently introduced me to this video the hallmark of the internet

rip the edge

OMM Gonna attempt to get the SNES Classic tomorrow...wish me luck   

victory will be mine!

Update: I secured mine! Starfox 2 timee

Edited by Ryo

On 9/24/2017 at 8:05 PM, Kenzi said:

Cancer*

FTFY

--

OMM: some friends recently introduced me to this video the hallmark of the internet

rip the edge

Someone sounds like they're salty they had the Longest Road card sniped from them.

70hE7vZq7ZPUEY7p0TIecFL92Rj80GC0fKDN1i0S

Also, I totally knew it was ProZD on the vocals, no one can impersonate Goofy quite like he can, hah.

On 9/28/2017 at 1:01 PM, Ryo said:

OMM Gonna attempt to get the SNES Classic tomorrow...wish me luck   

victory will be mine!

Update: I secured mine! Starfox 2 timee

Eyoo, congrats on getting it!  I had a really strong urge to get one myself when it was first announced, since I've been meaning to play such games as ALttP, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, as well as Starfox 2 of course.  But I have neither the time nor the money to justify the purchase.  How are you liking it so far?

--

OMM1: tfw JJ Abrams decides to make a Hollywood live-action adaption of Kimi no Na wa

hl0KTPO.jpg

OMM2: The new trailers for USUM have me like

f58.gif

@machine what level of proficiency are you at in Python? Do you want to learn coding or the applications of the same. If it's the former then you can probably look at several YouTube tutorials available. If it's the latter then I'd say go for some standard course on data structures and algorithms and concurrently study a bit of game theory and graph theory and basics of linear algebra. But if it's just for fun, you might want to do competitive programming.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:55 PM, Akazora said:

Eyoo, congrats on getting it!  I had a really strong urge to get one myself when it was first announced, since I've been meaning to play such games as ALttP, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, as well as Starfox 2 of course.  But I have neither the time nor the money to justify the purchase.  How are you liking it so far?

Thanks man! It was tough to get at several stores, but my job had some in stock, so I bought one the morning of it's release. I haven't actually got around to playing it due to work/school, but I have a break coming soon, so I'm gonna tackle it then. I'll let you know though!

On 6/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

i see no problem with that

you can take different approaches to every movie 

there are a few thing i would have liked differently with kimi no na wa

Wow Balthazar, you are still active here? :o

Also I just ordered a takeout burger and prepared to watch Conan... But the burger was so dry I gave up on it :(

On 10/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, Tea-Hejle said:

Wow Balthazar, you are still active here? :o

Also I just ordered a takeout burger and prepared to watch Conan... But the burger was so dry I gave up on it :(

my man

its been tooooo long

yeah, im still here

where have you been

and your name

is that your girlfriends 

22 minutes ago, Balthazar Manfredie said:

my man

its been tooooo long

yeah, im still here

where have you been

and your name

is that your girlfriends 

I've been here

At Uni now

And no

No girlfriends... yet

Wish I had

Am Forever alone

happy halloween happy last day before the holiday season unofficially begins

tumblr_nzbr3khbEO1qza1qzo1_500.gif

------------------

OMM: I'm so excited for Animal Crossing Pocket Camp! Though unlikely, I hope they'll allow QR code clothing at some since it was one of my favorite parts of New Leaf. I wonder just how much variety it'll have (Specifically how many of the villagers and how many furniture items will be included in the game). I kinda doubt the game will have much longevity though, since it looks similar to Happy Home Designer in the sense that it's mainly placing furniture around, and no one really cares about HHD anymore... 

but nonetheless 

FjrTpdLGKwKH2Dknle8cCaJ4F7I@400x690.gif

------------------

On 10/6/2017 at 6:41 PM, detConShin said:

@machine what level of proficiency are you at in Python? Do you want to learn coding or the applications of the same. If it's the former then you can probably look at several YouTube tutorials available. If it's the latter then I'd say go for some standard course on data structures and algorithms and concurrently study a bit of game theory and graph theory and basics of linear algebra. But if it's just for fun, you might want to do competitive programming.

A complete beginner pretty much. I've actually already gone a bookmarked a couple video guides, tutorials, and getting started tips that looked helpful, but I had some stuff suddenly come up a couple weeks ago, so haven't properly gone through all of them yet. Though I have some vague ideas of what I want to try to do, I don't really have a goal in mind, so thanks for the tips of stuff to potentially look into. And also thanks for the heads up about competitive programming, I'd not heard of that before and it seems interesting!

(I'm going to tag this so as to not spoil Sun and Moon for people who haven't played it yet)

Reveal hidden contents

I'm biased as heck in Sun and Moon's favor, since I loved the games so damn much.  Knowing that, it probably shouldn't be much of a surprise that I'm hype and have always been hype for USUM.  I've been looking for an excuse to experience the Alolan region all over again, and was even considering dropping another 40 bucks on a copy of Sun just to do it.  Even if USUM are more like Crystal/Emerald/Platinum and less like BW2, I would personally be more than satisfied.

I know I'm in the vast minority though.  From what I've seen, at least on reddit, most people don't have very high hopes for USUM.  The general opinion seems to be that USUM are just SM with a few new bells and whistles, with nothing new to contribute to the story and only a limited expansion of the region itself.  In other words, DLC masked as a full-priced game.  I can certainly see where this is coming from.  Unlike BW2, which was a sequel to BW and actually directly continued a story while introducing a ton of new updates to the Unova region, USUM is just an alternate universe.  Some have speculated that maybe it's an alternate universe where you move to Alola one year later than you would have in the SM universe, which causes a chain reaction that greatly alters the story and can only be appreciated if you'd played SM as well.  But considering the scene in a recent trailer that showed the MC, Hau, and Lusamine viewing the opening of an Ultra Wormhole at Aether Foundation (which looked identical to Nihilego's first appearance in SM) and a picture on the main Pokemon website that showed the MC finding Lillie and Nebby after they got lost in Melemele Meadow (which is a pixel perfect match from that same scene in SM, save for the textbox's aesthetic change), most signs are pointing to that not being the case.

There's also the issue of there simply not being too much to get people super excited.  For a long while, we only knew of a few new locations (the Pikachu Park, the new beaches on Melemele and Akala, that Ultra Space-ish bamboo lookin' place, etc.) but all of which seemed rather isolated and not very well integrated into the region.  There is Dusk Lycanroc, which is only obtainable through an event and not very interesting, as well as some new exclusive Z-Moves (like Clangorous Soulblaze for Kommo-o) which are okay I guess (except I don't ever plan on using Kommo-o, especially if it's a late-game catch again).  The one new feature to the game revealed so far, that picture studio mode, is considered by most (me included) to be just a one-and-done mini-game to try, and even then if the game's story doesn't require me to do it I may never even touch it.  And so far, despite some characters like Ryuki and Kahili looking like they're going to play a bigger role, others like Hau, Hala, Professor Kukui, Lillie, and Lusamine seem to reprise their roles from the original games.  Also, since the MC is running around with the Trial Amulet on, it's likely Island Trials are returning.  Some people were hoping those empty plots of land you can see around Alola in SM would become Gyms and that the Trials would be scrapped, back when people were speculating of a potential "Pokemon Stars."  But in USUM, only some of those empty plots of land have been filled, and at least one of them is now that picture studio I mentioned earlier.  Sooo, not a very convincing start.  UB Assembly and UB Burst have generated some decent hype though, as they're the first new Pokemon to be introduced mid-generation ever.  Granted, some are of the opinion that the UBs, while new Pokemon, aren't nearly as revolutionary as adding in, for example, a brand new evolutionary chain that you can randomly catch in the wild.  UBs are kind of like legendaries, and SM left them to be exclusively dealt with in the post-game.  Some are worried UB Assembly and UB Burst are just going to fill similar rolls as the Ultra Beasts in the Looker quest, detached from the main story.

But thankfully, there's still a lot to look forward to and speculate about!  For one, we haven't seen a single one of the Trial Captains in any way, so even if Trials are returning it's possible they'll be completely revamped.  I'm certainly hoping this is the case, as I loved the shenanigans of the Trials in SM but would probably be burnt out if I had to do the same things all over again.  Speaking of characters that haven't returned yet, Team Skull is curiously missing from all promotional material.  While we've seen parts of Aether Foundation members and Lusamine in trailers, nothing related to Team Skull has been shown yet.  And Po Town on the official USUM map is no longer experiencing rain!  It was always raining in Po Town fin SM, so maybe that's a clue?  If they completely removed Team Skull I would be a bit sad, since they're my favorite Pokemon team, but if they're revamped in some way that would be interesting to see!  Also, a CoroCoro scan has revealed the Pokedex with be at least 400 Pokemon this time, compared to the 300 from SM.  They'll mostly be Pokemon we've seen before, but some are holding out for potentially brand new additions to the Pokedex, like UB Assembly and UB Burst.  Finally, this new poster that has been put up in Japanese video game stores recently has me finna bust a nut.  Obviously, most eye catching are the four masked shadowy figures at the top near the dark Ultra Wormhole.  Some are thinking it's a rogue branch of the Aether Foundation, others are thinking they're members of the Aether Foundation from another universe that were transported here through an Ultra Wormhole.  Yet others think they're Team Galactic members who got lost in Ultra Space and ended up here as well (it would make for an interesting segue to the inevitable Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8).  We see our first look at Gladion (so technically first member of Team Skull that's returned, but there's no guarantee that he's even a member of their group this time around).  He's also missing his trusty Type:Null, which may just be because its irrelevant to the theme of the poster, but then again Lillie is featured with Nebby, sooo...  Speaking of Lillie, she's rocking that Z-powered form of hers and is even holding a Pokeball, so maybe she'll finally become a trainer??!  Perhaps she'll get that Alolan Vulpix that was shown in a few trailers, like she does in the anime.

We're less than two months away from release, and I'm excited.  There's still a lot we don't know, but I think I like it better this way.  I want to be surprised when I revisit the Alolan region in November!  Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Um, you don't have to type nearly as much as I did, but I'm curious as to what you think of what's been revealed so far as well.

Spoiler

Sorry this is short in comparison to what you wrote! 

Truth be told, I haven't been keeping up with the USUM news all that much so I appreciate your response also serving as an infodump. I still don't really have much of an opinion of it though tbh. What's been revealed thus far has been mostly uninteresting/underwhelming imo, but some aspects have been intriguing. Ultra Megalopolis and Team Skull's 'replacement' (not sure if they've been given an official name yet) stood out to me in particular. Po Town's change in weather is interesting too. IIRC, Po Town was really dilapidated in SM, so assuming Team Skull will be entirely cut out, I wonder if Po Town will be an actual settlement in USUM and not just be (mostly) abandoned ruins again.
Though not exactly surprisingly since looking back, it appears to be the standard for sequels, I am a bit disappointed the starters appear to be exactly the same. The lack of promotional material featuring the Trial Captains is relatively disappointing as well. Hau, Lillie, Gladion, and Kukui admittedly didn't grow on me very much, so (excluding Kahili) the characters I enjoyed the most were Trial Captains. Maybe they'll make cameos or something though....? And has it been confirmed only some of the empty land will be utilized? The absence of stuff being there seemed very deliberate and it seems like a very obvious waste of potential to just leave them as is.

There's been some new trailers (at least 2 right?) since you replied to my initial post, did those alter your opinion in any way, or are you still just as hyped? Also, are you preordering it? Regardless, which version do you plan on getting? I'm assuming which version of the sequel you get is entirely separate from OG Sun & Moon, but I'm curious if most people will stick to the same version they went with the first time. And to backtrack slightly, what do you think of the Ultra Beasts themselves? (both from SM and USUM) I don't particularly like them as a whole, but due to not keeping up with Pokemon news, have no idea what other people think of them. 

ew why would you want to play games with people in real life :^)

But for real, I've ever only played basic stuff like Monopoly and Catan.  I'd probably play more if I had the time and friends to play them with.  The college I attend has a tabletop club, and I'm sure others do as well, so that might be a good place to start if you want to get into it.  (I can't remember if you're currently attending college right now, but it's something to consider if you have access to it)

ikr irl nerds are liitterrallyy the worst. hanging out with or even just associating with them in public would be social suicide (^: 

--Joining a college-based tabletop group was actually my plan, but going in entirely blind seems a bit naive. Like I just wanna know what kind of atmosphere to expect, to what extent the 'socially awkward tabletop player' stereotype rings true (I lurk /r/DnD every once in a while, and the last time I did I saw like a PSA post about someone reminding people that if they join a new group, they should ask the group to go over boundaries at the beginning of the game since the OP joined a new group without being told that some of the members used their DnD sessions as a way to RP sexual fantasies, and subsequently had a really negative experience. It didn't even occur to me some people might be drawn to tabletop games for that reason, so I'm curious just how typical that is, and if most people who do play that way at least have the tact/courtesy to be upfront about it.), how beginner-friendly players tend to be, how common non-medieval settings are, and if there's any sort of unspoken, but generally well-understood etiquette I should be aware of tumblr_m42quperIZ1r58lid.jpg

On 10/24/2017 at 4:07 PM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

should have watched oregairu a lot sooner

What is that?

2 hours ago, Balthazar Manfredie said:

Its an anime

it deals with social issues, life and all that love crap 

now you might think oh another one of those

but its really good

and the main character is great

i like his way of thinkng 

Hmm, I see. I'll have to check it out, thanks.