1. 1. Who is best 4 Conan/Shinichi???

• Mouri Ran
    • Ai Haibara/Miyano Shiho
    • Yoshida Ayumi
    • Hattori Heiji
    • Kaitou Kid
    • Masumi Sera
    • Sonoko Suzuki

So i've always wondered who conan would be most likely to date and then marry, and i thought that it would be Haibara, and i wondered what other people thought. As i said, my choice would be Haibara. Only Haibara because she's around Conan so much like on episode 568 , when she holds onto his arm so tightly, even though Ayumi did it too, she's around him so much.

Conan wub.gif Haibara ph34r.gif

Mod note: Merged your thread because we have one on the same topic will a poll already

But in the 600 shin tell's Ran that he likes her so Shin/Ran i'm just saying.

Where Ai has a similar history to that of Shinichi and has a similar intellect, Ran is able to keep Shinichi grounded.  Shinichi and Ai have great compatability as friends, but as anything else they are terrible for each other.  Shinichi and Ran on the other hand, compliment each other VERY well.

Soo.... my vote goes to Ran.

I am all for the Shinichi and Ran pairing. First love that lasts forever is my ideal, especially if the people have been close since childhood, which in my opinion is the most innocent period of people's lives. Childhood friends solidifying their innocent and tender bond with romantic love is one of the best things ever. I am always genuinely sad when a fictional or real "first love" couple breaks up and people move on to others. I hope this will never happen in DC. If Shiho was Shinichi's first love, I would have rooted for her (even though I would have liked Ran's character nevertheless). But it's Ran that Shinichi has grown up with and fallen in love with, so it's Ran I would like to be with him forever, so their bond formed when they were innocent children never breaks.

comparing both characters : -ran: very kindhearted and cares about others , selfless and brave, and the only female character shinichi loved in the whole series.

ai haibara : worked for the bo and  rebelled when they killed her sister , mother and father were big  members in the bo , sure she may had a change of heart  , pessimistic and has kind of dark personality . the main reason of shinishi getting shrunk.

i see no comparison , even if ai likes him there's no way they can be together :/

It's the matter of opinion.

If it's up to me, I'd say:

Ran, clingy and selfish. No real personality and is a tool of the story. Only loved by Shinichi beacause that's what happens when a male stuck on a female too long (and vice versa). I think there is a name for that symptom. Have to research some more. And she is also boring.

Ai, selfless and strong (physically and mentally), intelligent and sharp (often exceeding Conan himself),deserves more love and understanding, what her family are has nothing to do with her. Are you saying you'll judge someone by what their family do (btw, her parents aren't evil). The main reson for Shinichi being Conan is Shinichi. He's an idiot for rushing in anything suspicious like that. Also, Ran is the one who brought him to that place anyway.

My answer: Ai will certainly help him in his career a lot, and balances him off well (paranoia and recklessness). She is sharp and intelligent, which would be useful for detective work. She also isn't the type to get lonely and worried when Shinichi has a sudden case and have to leave without calling. What's more, she will have a clear future with Shinichi (unlike Ran, who already has a future blocked by her obsession with Shincihi).

It was Shinichi who chose Tropical Land as the location for their date, not Ran.

But Ran is the one who asked him to go on a 'date' with her. So she indirectly brought him to that place. But all I'm trying to say isn that 'Ai brought him to this situation' is unreasonable. What will you do if you're her? Kill Gin and take the poison away? Plus, Gin uses the poison without her permission.

He needs someone with stable mental state.

You talking to me?

Well, Ai is a mentally stable person. She just felt what everyone will feel when hunted by a dark organization—scared. And most of her fears are proven anyways. and you wouldn't be so stable either if the only person you cared for was killed.

And Ran is as reckless as Shinichi, so I'd say she is not calm (I'm not saying she's mentally unstable though).

You talking to me?

Well, Ai is a mentally stable person. She just felt what everyone will feel when hunted by a dark organization—scared. And most of her fears are proven anyways. and you wouldn't be so stable either if the only person you cared for was killed.

And Ran is as reckless as Shinichi, so I'd say she is not calm (I'm not saying she's mentally unstable though).

LOL I left the comment there without pointing to anyone specifically  :lol: But I agree with most of what you just said. I voted for Shiho after all.  :wub:

As being someone who loves and works in science, I can't stand emotional people who can't control their tear gland.

But Ran is the one who asked him to go on a 'date' with her. So she indirectly brought him to that place. But all I'm trying to say isn that 'Ai brought him to this situation' is unreasonable. What will you do if you're her? Kill Gin and take the poison away? Plus, Gin uses the poison without her permission.

No, again, Shinichi was the one who suggested to go on a "date" with her there. And I'm not trying to say that his situation is Ai's fault, but still, it is a fact that Shinichi suggested the date and suggested the location.

But Ran is the one who asked him to go on a 'date' with her. So she indirectly brought him to that place.

How and when exactly? In File 884 Shinichi said he'd take Ran to Tropical Land on his own accord because she was upset that "nothing good happens when he's around" after he lost her new phone.

I don't view Ran as "clingy" either, and definitely not what I'd consider selfish. Overall, selfish is one of the worst attributes you could tag to their character, and you'd truly have to cherry pick examples for Ran to stand out as a selfish person.

Shinichi has also liked Ran since pre-school, so I'm not sure your "only loved by Shinichi when a male stuck on a female for too long" applies here.

If anything hurts the ShinRan pairing, in my eyes, it's really the length of the series at the forefront of the issue. There likely won't be a clear "resolution" until the end of the series, and much of Ran's character development is tied to Shinichi. In some instances, it makes her look "weak" and "obsessive", but objectively speaking, I'd say she is very strong-willed. That's something anyone should be able to recognize whether they like the character or not.

Ran and Shinichi share similar values and it's hard to really get a complete understanding of their relationship but they've been childhood friends, and both have shown to love each other (Shinichi was drawn to Ran since pre-school, Ran since their trip to New York).

We also haven't seen much of Shinichi and Ran before he was shrunk. We've seen a couple flashbacks from 10 years ago (MF3 could be included but isn't canon), and a prologue story with Shinichi on yet another case. I'd assume in their daily lives they'd have some level of normalcy and can interact just fine.

There's quite a big difference between what is going on with Shinichi leaving suddenly for a case/work etc and the predicament he is currently in. He rarely ever shows up, never says anything, and basically vanished without a trace. No one knows what he is doing, or where he is. With Ran and Shinichi being close, I don't find it obsessive to be worried. Shinichi's also just as much at fault here since not only doesn't he tell her anything, but he keeps telling her to wait. After the Holmes Revelation arc (Almost 200 files ago), Ran basically got what she wanted to hear and we haven't really seen any of these past "tendencies" come up, nor has she really been the weeping girl everyone makes her out to be. 

I would also like to note that while Ai isn't responsible for her parents actions... she was going to use Numabuchi as a human test subject for APTX4869, very possibly killing him, and at the very least would probably be some form of torture. Regardless of Ai being the main reason of Shinichi being shrunk, as someone else has pointed out, it's also the main reason Shinichi is still alive. Had they used any other means to finish the job, Shinichi would have already been dead so that seems like an incredibly weak argument to me  :D

Of course, I'm not really on either side of CoxAi or ShinxRan, because I don't really care for romance that much  :P - Though I'd rather not see Ai end up with a love interest. I think it would feel really forced, nor does it make sense to me with all of the developments that have taken place for Shinichi and Ran (even though it is extremely drawn out). I suppose if I had to answer the poll, Ran would be the clear winner since their relationship is not based on hypothetical situations. CoxAi has always been particularly one sided and Conan is too dense to realize that she has feelings for him (not that it would really make a difference anyways).

Also... because it's probably not apparent, Ai is one of my favorite characters, if not favorite in the series, I just don't support CoxAi as a pairing, no matter how "interesting" it theoretically could be.

• Upvote 1

LOL I left the comment there without pointing to anyone specifically  :lol: But I agree with most of what you just said. I voted for Shiho after all.  :wub:

As being someone who loves and works in science, I can't stand emotional people who can't control their tear gland.

Really? Sorry, I just assumed, since you didn't put a name.

Yeah, I can't either. And also clingy people.

No, again, Shinichi was the one who suggested to go on a "date" with her there. And I'm not trying to say that his situation is Ai's fault, but still, it is a fact that Shinichi suggested the date and suggested the location.

Really? I though Ran made him promise to bring her on a date if she won the Karate championship or something. Must be a mistake in my memory, I'll go check.

I'm not saying that to you! I'm also not saying you're saying it's Ai's fault, someone else is! I'm replying to someone else who said Ai is the cause of Shinichi shrinking, so I tried to made something just as unreasonable. Ai indirectly caused Shinichi to shrunk, and if I remembered right (which is most likely wrong), Ran also indirectly made Shinichi shrunk.

It's unreasonable—exactly what I want.

How and when exactly? In File 884 Shinichi said he'd take Ran to Tropical Land on his own accord because she was upset that "nothing good happens when he's around" after he lost her new phone.

I don't view Ran as "clingy" either, and definitely not what I'd consider selfish. Overall, selfish is one of the worst attributes you could tag to their character, and you'd truly have to cherry pick examples for Ran to stand out as a selfish person.

Shinichi has also liked Ran since pre-school, so I'm not sure your "only loved by Shinichi when a male stuck on a female for too long" applies here.

If anything hurts the ShinRan pairing, in my eyes, it's really the length of the series at the forefront of the issue. There likely won't be a clear "resolution" until the end of the series, and much of Ran's character development is tied to Shinichi. In some instances, it makes her look "weak" and "obsessive", but objectively speaking, I'd say she is very strong-willed. That's something anyone should be able to recognize whether they like the character or not.

Ran and Shinichi share similar values and it's hard to really get a complete understanding of their relationship but they've been childhood friends, and both have shown to love each other (Shinichi was drawn to Ran since pre-school, Ran since their trip to New York).

We also haven't seen much of Shinichi and Ran before he was shrunk. We've seen a couple flashbacks from 10 years ago (MF3 could be included but isn't canon), and a prologue story with Shinichi on yet another case. I'd assume in their daily lives they'd have some level of normalcy and can interact just fine.

There's quite a big difference between what is going on with Shinichi leaving suddenly for a case/work etc and the predicament he is currently in. He rarely ever shows up, never says anything, and basically vanished without a trace. No one knows what he is doing, or where he is. With Ran and Shinichi being close, I don't find it obsessive to be worried. Shinichi's also just as much at fault here since not only doesn't he tell her anything, but he keeps telling her to wait. After the Holmes Revelation arc (Almost 200 files ago), Ran basically got what she wanted to hear and we haven't really seen any of these past "tendencies" come up, nor has she really been the weeping girl everyone makes her out to be. 

I would also like to note that while Ai isn't responsible for her parents actions... she was going to use Numabuchi as a human test subject for APTX4869, very possibly killing him, and at the very least would probably be some form of torture. Regardless of Ai being the main reason of Shinichi being shrunk, as someone else has pointed out, it's also the main reason Shinichi is still alive. Had they used any other means to finish the job, Shinichi would have already been dead so that seems like an incredibly weak argument to me  :D

Of course, I'm not really on either side of CoxAi or ShinxRan, because I don't really care for romance that much  :P - Though I'd rather not see Ai end up with a love interest. I think it would feel really forced, nor does it make sense to me with all of the developments that have taken place for Shinichi and Ran (even though it is extremely drawn out). I suppose if I had to answer the poll, Ran would be the clear winner since their relationship is not based on hypothetical situations. CoxAi has always been particularly one sided and Conan is too dense to realize that she has feelings for him (not that it would really make a difference anyways).

Also... because it's probably not apparent, Ai is one of my favorite characters, if not favorite in the series, I just don't support CoxAi as a pairing, no matter how "interesting" it theoretically could be.

I see her as clingy (clingy, not selfish. In fact, she's the opposite of selfish) not because she's worried. It's because she's getting mad at him. Or break in people's house because she thought Shinichi is... 'making love' (someone like that. Need to re watch DC) and many more. Needed to note that she and Shinichi isn't even girlfriend and boyfiriend yet, so I view it as being clingy.

Shinichi needed to go on an urgent case. Or as she thought, urgent AND important case. Yet Shinichi still find time to meet her (although running off halfway, and yes it is fault on Shin's side) and call. She has no right to get mad, or shout and I also can't see any reason for getting emotional (I just can't see it).

Worried is fine, angry isn't.

Seriously? Shinichi liked Ran since preschool? I wasn't aware of that. Didn't he realized his feelings when he shrunk? And really, I never used the 'ShinRan barely interact' argument. I found that stupid, considering they talk just fine during the first episode.

I didn't see any strong will in her. Waiting for a man isn't strong-willed. I know quite a few people who waits for really, really long time or they just chase them in their own. So to me waiting is quite a normal thing to do when you're in love. I don't know about you, but I never saw someone who loved without waiting. But if you're talking about her physical strength... Well, she can bend a pole while smiling. I see her strong enough but not really effective (defense broken, gone. If she's unprepared or panicked, the end. Plus, stability is a must in martial arts and Ran isn't exactly the calm type).

What are we talking about? Which tendencies? Getting angry, worried, crying? In any case, I still held a grudge against her for the 'bomb vengeful brother and the three writers' case. She endangered quite a lot of life's because she thought Shinichi wouldn't do it. Yeah, I particulary remember that one because Sera is one of my favorite characters. Not exactly 'clingy ness' but I still don't like that reckless side of her. And I do not see her as 'weepy', okay? I see her as clingy, or in the past, 'possesive'. Note: In. The. Past.

Well, it's not exactly my argument, so... And I would rather lose Internet than saying that (not literally), since as you can see, I love Ai and don't really like Ran.

Ran would be the clear winner, definitely. Since Gosho said 'happy ending' and everyone knows what his idea of 'happy ending' would be. I don't give a damn. I stuck by my own decision and opinion, not what's decided by the manga from the start. Of course, it was still technically possible, so I can't give up hope, can't I? Not after I defended CoAi for so long. Nice to see someone neutral in the war, but if you truly are neutral, I suggest you to not vote for thread like this.

Yup, I'm mistaken. Shinichi suggested the date, so I'll try something more unreasonable; Shinichi forgot (which will save him), so technically, Ran forced him to.

Yeah, unreasonable, I know.

I see her as clingy (clingy, not selfish. In fact, she's the opposite of selfish) not because she's worried. It's because she's getting mad at him. Or break in people's house because she thought Shinichi is... 'making love' (someone like that. Need to re watch DC) and many more. Needed to note that she and Shinichi isn't even girlfriend and boyfiriend yet, so I view it as being clingy.

Shinichi needed to go on an urgent case. Or as she thought, urgent AND important case. Yet Shinichi still find time to meet her (although running off halfway, and yes it is fault on Shin's side) and call. She has no right to get mad, or shout and I also can't see any reason for getting emotional (I just can't see it).

Seriously? Shinichi liked Ran since preschool? I wasn't aware of that. Didn't he realized his feelings when he shrunk? And really, I never used the 'ShinRan barely interact' argument. I found that stupid, considering they talk just fine during the first episode.

I didn't see any strong will in her. Waiting for a man isn't strong-willed. I know quite a few people who waits for really, really long time or they just chase them in their own. So to me waiting is quite a normal thing to do when you're in love. I don't know about you, but I never saw someone who loved without waiting. But if you're talking about her physical strength... Well, she can bend a pole while smiling. I see her strong enough but not really effective (defense broken, gone. If she's unprepared or panicked, the end. Plus, stability is a must in martial arts and Ran isn't exactly the calm type).

What are we talking about? Which tendencies? Getting angry, worried, crying? In any case, I still held a grudge against her for the 'bomb vengeful brother and the three writers' case. She endangered quite a lot of life's because she thought Shinichi wouldn't do it. Yeah, I particulary remember that one because Sera is one of my favorite characters. Not exactly 'clingy ness' but I still don't like that reckless side of her. And I do not see her as 'weepy', okay? I see her as clingy, or in the past, 'possesive'. Note: In. The. Past.

Well, it's not exactly my argument, so... And I would rather lose Internet than saying that (not literally), since as you can see, I love Ai and don't really like Ran.

Ran would be the clear winner, definitely. Since Gosho said 'happy ending' and everyone knows what his idea of 'happy ending' would be. I don't give a damn. I stuck by my own decision and opinion, not what's decided by the manga from the start. Of course, it was still technically possible, so I can't give up hope, can't I? Not after I defended CoAi for so long. Nice to see someone neutral in the war, but if you truly are neutral, I suggest you to not vote for thread like this.

You're basically saying that she shouldn't care about Shinichi as much as she does.

Imagine your best friend--a childhood friend you have over a decade of history with--disappearing off the face of the Earth one day. Suddenly, a person you used to see everyday is now someone you see sparingly. Something doesn't add up. And even worse, Shinichi won't tell her what happened.

Of course she'd be angry as hell; her best friend won't even fill her in on the details. Of course she'd want to find every opportunity to see him. Of course she wants answers. But we know that she's not going to get answers. We know that Shinichi can't tell her. That's the source of her pent-up frustration. Ran isn't aware that his secret is that important.

Just look at this realistically.

Her best friend disappeared and he can't tell her why.

This isn't like Penelope waiting twenty years for her husband to return lol the irony

Ran is a growing teenager so it's unreasonably harsh to force these adult-like expectations on her.

If you want me to be honest, I'm not a fan of Ran. But I still think she deserves to be Shinichi.

• Upvote 2

Yup, I'm mistaken. Shinichi suggested the date, so I'll try something more unreasonable; Shinichi forgot (which will save him), so technically, Ran forced him to.

Yeah, unreasonable, I know.

Are you talking about File 1? Shinichi didn't forget, he admitted he was just joking to tease Ran and in his thoughts he added "How could I possibly forget?"

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't I vote? I wouldn't call myself neutral, since I generally always side on canon pairings (whether I like them or not). Ran is the only sensible option. My argument wasn't specifically tailored to you, it was just a culmination of things to try and better prove a point. Plenty of people are biased. Shouldn't the same be true for everyone else, that if they can't look at something objectively, then they shouldn't vote either?

You did call Ran selfish in a previous post. "Ran, clingy and selfish. No real personality and is a tool of the story. Only loved by Shinichi beacause that's what happens when a male stuck on a female too long (and vice versa). I think there is a name for that symptom. Have to research some more. And she is also boring."

If you're referring to her breaking into a house, (I'm assuming you're talking about Pro Soccer Player Blackmail case), she didn't "break in". She did break down the door of the kidnapper, Naoki, however. She was angry because she found out that Shinichi had presumably dated and got "somewhat intimate" with a random girl she had never met. Now of course at this point in the story, maybe it was a bit too much, I'll give you that (It was also close to 900 files ago). I'd say her angry reaction is somewhat expected in this scenario, all things considered (Shinichi had vanished and Ran was worried about him, and then this random girl comes in asking Kogoro to locate her boyfriend, Shinichi. Where was Shinichi in all this time?). Despite certain qualities, she is supposed to be a "normal" teenage girl. I'd say the jealousy and anger was warranted in this specific case. I'm not sure why she isn't entitled to be angry, but worried? Seems like a reasonable emotion to me.

Also if Shinichi is on an important case, it's a questionable point that he is able to even meet Ran in the first place. 

As far as the bombing case is concerned, it really depends on how you look at it. Ran did not act this way because "That's what Shinichi would do". She has proven to have this own mentality in the past, particularly the New York Case where she acted without warning to save both Rose, and Vermouth. She even questions whether she did the right thing after saving Rose because she thinks that she helped her murder someone. However, she took Shinichi's words at the end of the case to heart. They share the same line of thinking. Had she not uttered that line, it wouldn't have made a difference, she would have done this regardless. Was it reckless? Yes, absolutely. It even painted Sera out to be the bad person, even though her action was in the best interest of everyone. The point is that she doesn't need a reason to save someone's life which is something that Ran had already subconsciously agreed with.

Now of course, we do have an infamous case where Ran is shown to follow a fortune asking her to be the assume the roles of a traditional Japanese woman, permitting any tomboyish act, which ends up putting Ran in danger  :P

As far as her past tendencies, whether that is referring to her "constantly" crying, or how "obsessive" she was, these tendencies haven't showed up in about 200 files. There are plenty of people who always paint her out to be the weak willed, crying girl, which really isn't the case. I wasn't singling out you. Whether someone views her as strong-willed or not is simply just their perception, but it extends beyond her incredible patience. Maybe courageous would be a better word in that despite obvious fears, she shows no second thoughts of saving Ai, or Vermouth even though that she may be killed.

And yes, it is revealed in the recent flashback that Shinichi had liked Ran since preschool, which was their first encounter. (See Files 921-924). He learned of Ran's feelings after he shrunk (on the walk back to the Detective Agency), yes, not his, but he's also seen (in thought) to have loved Ran in the very first episode.

There's nothing wrong with "shipping" certain pairings. I like Ai and Conan's interactions, but from a logical perspective, it doesn't make any sense, not as love interests. The problem I find with AixConan and ShinxRan fans is that they will demonize one character based on the pairing that they like, and for no other reason. I'm not saying you are doing this, but it's completely evident that people think this way. 

I'll sympathize with you a little bit and say that I don't find Ran to be an overly interesting character, but she does have her moments. I really like some of her character's actions in the Vermouth arc, and I can't help but think if her development wasn't so tied to Shinichi, that she could be a much more interesting character.

• Upvote 1

And really, I never used the 'ShinRan barely interact' argument. I found that stupid, considering they talk just fine during the first episode.

Iirc in the first episode during their 'date' their 'conversation' is Shinichi going on and on about Holmes, Ran couldn't add anything to that. Even in all of their flashbacks even as kids they didn't have a single conversation as equals, its just Shinichi leading their little adventures and Ran just tailing him around with a clueless face.

P.S: I'm not saying they can't be lovers & I'm not saying its unrealistic for such people to have a romantic relationship. Not every couple, even in the real world, have good chemistry and they do just fine. Just saying that they don't have good chemistry, which some people can't see for some reason. They can't be best friends, just lovers. Whereas Ai can be a lot of things to him, they can help each other mature in a lot of ways, it'll be a better & also more exciting relationship for Shinichi rather than the jolly housewife relationship he'll have wih Ran.

You're basically saying that she shouldn't care about Shinichi as much as she does.

Imagine your best friend--a childhood friend you have over a decade of history with--disappearing off the face of the Earth one day. Suddenly, a person you used to see everyday is now someone you see sparingly. Something doesn't add up. And even worse, Shinichi won't tell her what happened.

Of course she'd be angry as hell; her best friend won't even fill her in on the details. Of course she'd want to find every opportunity to see him. Of course she wants answers. But we know that she's not going to get answers. We know that Shinichi can't tell her. That's the source of her pent-up frustration. Ran isn't aware that his secret is that important.

Just look at this realistically.

Her best friend disappeared and he can't tell her why.

This isn't like Penelope waiting twenty years for her husband to return lol the irony

Ran is a growing teenager so it's unreasonably harsh to force these adult-like expectations on her.

If you want me to be honest, I'm not a fan of Ran. But I still think she deserves to be Shinichi.

Didn't Shinichi tell her he was going on an important case? I mean, did Ran expect to be filled in with details?

The title of this topic who is the best for Shinichi, which I assumed in his career, his life and such. This is who I think will be best for Shinichi. But since it's your opinion I can't argue much.

Iirc in the first episode during their 'date' their 'conversation' is Shinichi going on and on about Holmes, Ran couldn't add anything to that. Even in all of their flashbacks even as kids they didn't have a single conversation as equals, its just Shinichi leading their little adventures and Ran just tailing him around with a clueless face.

P.S: I'm not saying they can't be lovers & I'm not saying its unrealistic for such people to have a romantic relationship. Not every couple, even in the real world, have good chemistry and they do just fine. Just saying that they don't have good chemistry, which some people can't see for some reason. They can't be best friends, just lovers. Whereas Ai can be a lot of things to him, they can help each other mature in a lot of ways, it'll be a better & also more exciting relationship for Shinichi rather than the jolly housewife relationship he'll have wih Ran.

I can't believe I'm defending ShinRan, but Shinichi and Ran wouldn't be friends of they didn't talk. And I don't Shinichi talks about Holmes all the time. Those flashbacks were just the more exciting part of their childhood (which I did not watch, so I'm guessing here) and Shinichi is the leading in the matter of things like that (riddles, things that requires brain, etc) so obviously Ran will just follow him around.

Isn't that what I've been saying the whole time? I know CoAi will be more interesting in ShinRan (my opinion anyways), which is why I support AiCon. Plus I get a little sick watching ShinRan scenes. No offense.

Why wouldn't I vote? I wouldn't call myself neutral, since I generally always side on canon pairings (whether I like them or not). Ran is the only sensible option. My argument wasn't specifically tailored to you, it was just a culmination of things to try and better prove a point. Plenty of people are biased. Shouldn't the same be true for everyone else, that if they can't look at something objectively, then they shouldn't vote either?

You did call Ran selfish in a previous post. "Ran, clingy and selfish. No real personality and is a tool of the story. Only loved by Shinichi beacause that's what happens when a male stuck on a female too long (and vice versa). I think there is a name for that symptom. Have to research some more. And she is also boring."

If you're referring to her breaking into a house, (I'm assuming you're talking about Pro Soccer Player Blackmail case), she didn't "break in". She did break down the door of the kidnapper, Naoki, however. She was angry because she found out that Shinichi had presumably dated and got "somewhat intimate" with a random girl she had never met. Now of course at this point in the story, maybe it was a bit too much, I'll give you that (It was also close to 900 files ago). I'd say her angry reaction is somewhat expected in this scenario, all things considered (Shinichi had vanished and Ran was worried about him, and then this random girl comes in asking Kogoro to locate her boyfriend, Shinichi. Where was Shinichi in all this time?). Despite certain qualities, she is supposed to be a "normal" teenage girl. I'd say the jealousy and anger was warranted in this specific case. I'm not sure why she isn't entitled to be angry, but worried? Seems like a reasonable emotion to me.

Also if Shinichi is on an important case, it's a questionable point that he is able to even meet Ran in the first place. 

As far as the bombing case is concerned, it really depends on how you look at it. Ran did not act this way because "That's what Shinichi would do". She has proven to have this own mentality in the past, particularly the New York Case where she acted without warning to save both Rose, and Vermouth. She even questions whether she did the right thing after saving Rose because she thinks that she helped her murder someone. However, she took Shinichi's words at the end of the case to heart. They share the same line of thinking. Had she not uttered that line, it wouldn't have made a difference, she would have done this regardless. Was it reckless? Yes, absolutely. It even painted Sera out to be the bad person, even though her action was in the best interest of everyone. The point is that she doesn't need a reason to save someone's life which is something that Ran had already subconsciously agreed with.

Now of course, we do have an infamous case where Ran is shown to follow a fortune asking her to be the assume the roles of a traditional Japanese woman, permitting any tomboyish act, which ends up putting Ran in danger  :P

As far as her past tendencies, whether that is referring to her "constantly" crying, or how "obsessive" she was, these tendencies haven't showed up in about 200 files. There are plenty of people who always paint her out to be the weak willed, crying girl, which really isn't the case. I wasn't singling out you. Whether someone views her as strong-willed or not is simply just their perception, but it extends beyond her incredible patience. Maybe courageous would be a better word in that despite obvious fears, she shows no second thoughts of saving Ai, or Vermouth even though that she may be killed.

And yes, it is revealed in the recent flashback that Shinichi had liked Ran since preschool, which was their first encounter. (See Files 921-924). He learned of Ran's feelings after he shrunk (on the walk back to the Detective Agency), yes, not his, but he's also seen (in thought) to have loved Ran in the very first episode.

There's nothing wrong with "shipping" certain pairings. I like Ai and Conan's interactions, but from a logical perspective, it doesn't make any sense, not as love interests. The problem I find with AixConan and ShinxRan fans is that they will demonize one character based on the pairing that they like, and for no other reason. I'm not saying you are doing this, but it's completely evident that people think this way. 

I'll sympathize with you a little bit and say that I don't find Ran to be an overly interesting character, but she does have her moments. I really like some of her character's actions in the Vermouth arc, and I can't help but think if her development wasn't so tied to Shinichi, that she could be a much more interesting character.

Eh, I remember reading somewhere that you told me you were neutral. Sorry. I must've replied to the wrong person. And look, I won't admit I'm a pro at English. My english was just enough to communicate casually. The way you write is rather formal but I'll do my best to understand you. Sorry if I misunderstood anything.

That is exactly my point. Getting worried is fine. But my other point is getting angry isn't. I don't see why she would get mad at Shinichi for going out on a case without telling for long or dating a girl. It was his choice. She was his childhood friend and that's that. But I can see about being jealous and getting worried. I seem to not make my point clear enough.

WORRYING IS FINE, GETTING ANGRY ISN'T.

Shinichi is on multiple cases. He pitched in a meeting between one of them maybe? At least, that's what I would thought.

Yeah, like you said, that depends on how you look at it. I see it as an incredibly reckless act because Shinichi would've done it, and I'm sorry, I'm going to be frank here that you didn't convince me.

I didn't see her as a crybaby (yeah, I did, but maybe I view her a little differently now.) She is selfless, I recognize that. But I don't see her as patient. Because like I said, waiting for someone you love is normal to me.

In the end it's all a matter of opinion so this argument shouldn't even start in the first place. Though, I respect your level-headedness in replying, which I found rare.

Are you talking about File 1? Shinichi didn't forget, he admitted he was just joking to tease Ran and in his thoughts he added "How could I possibly forget?"

I seriously need to rewatch DC. And plus I'm trying to make it as unreasonable as possible and it wasn't directed to you in the first place, so will you please drop it?

I can't believe I'm defending ShinRan, but Shinichi and Ran wouldn't be friends of they didn't talk. And I don't Shinichi talks about Holmes all the time. Those flashbacks were just the more exciting part of their childhood (which I did not watch, so I'm guessing here) and Shinichi is the leading in the matter of things like that (riddles, things that requires brain, etc) so obviously Ran will just follow him around.

Isn't that what I've been saying the whole time? I know CoAi will be more interesting in ShinRan (my opinion anyways), which is why I support AiCon. Plus I get a little sick watching ShinRan scenes. No offense.

That's the weird part. I can't imagine at all what they talked about with each other their whole childhood. Can you ? They have nothing in common. Also, I don't think Shinichi ever considered Ran a 'friend', she was his crush since day one. Anyway I didn't say they can't be friends, just not good friends or best friends. Just imagine, if Shinichi stops having feelings towards Ran, do you see him hanging out with her ? There's not much he can do with her, that's what I meant when I said she can only be his lover, or a casual friend.

Honestly if this were any other show Ran and Shinichi wouldnt even stand a chance. Gosho is invested in child romances thatvhe lost complete control over the romantic aspect of the story. If you truly love this show you would realize thats its soo near perfect and that if hadnt been for the dry annoying awkward romance that were fed, the show wouldnhave been perfect.

I would loveva ShinRan fan to give me a reason other than they love eachother or they have known each other since childhood. I think we can all agree that love is sometimes hust not enoigh.

The arguments for ShinShi are logical and plausible. She is the one that cannkeeo up with him. She can ground him. She can assist him in his career. She is indepemdent and so is he. She wont worry when he doesnt check in everyday.

My biggest argument against shinran is that shinichi doesnt deserve Ran. If you dont belive me think what would Shinichi do if he had the chance to go back in time to the night he was shrunk, would he follow Gin and Vodka

The arguments for ShinShi are logical and plausible. She is the one that cannkeeo up with him.

Can she? During cases, she usually doesn't. She even admits in one of the cases that deduction is not her thing and that this way of thinking does not suit her. She helped the kids figure Kobayashi's riddle with the help of Conan's hint and she partly figured out that one case when she made the childish mischievious smile. On the other hand, Ran solved an entire case on her own, without any deduction help from Shinichi. That's not her standard, but it is possible for her. Both are not on his level, but both can keep up.

She can ground him.

So can Ran, and so does Ran. She does it since they met each other, she admitted that much to Ran and Sera during the pre-school flashback.

She is indepemdent and so is he.

Ran is more independent than any other teenager in the show. She solely runs a three person household. But you probably meant "emotionally independent". Both Sera and Haibara commend her emotional strength in the series. She hasn't cried because Shinichi is gone for a long, long time now. Last time was File 379. She doing pretty well considering that Shinichi vanished and no person knows where he is.

She wont worry when he doesnt check in everyday.

Again, you can't compare "completely disappearing all of a sudden" with "doesn't check in everyday". Imagine if Shinichi and Shiho walked home from school together and Shinichi says that he has something to do and runs off. And then he's gone for a few days before he calls, yet still he won't reappear and no one knows where he is (aka the situation from the beginning of the series.). You think Shiho would just say "Cool, whatever?". No way, of course she would be worried, just like Ran, just like every reasonable person would. Shinichi went off to solve cases without Ran in the past and never did we get any indication that she worried as much as she did in the beginning of the series.

My biggest argument against shinran is that shinichi doesnt deserve Ran. If you dont belive me think what would Shinichi do if he had the chance to go back in time to the night he was shrunk, would he follow Gin and Vodka

No, he wouldn't. It wouldn't make any sense for him to still run after them. If he retains his knowledge, he would act completely differently, to get a better outcome for him. The more logical thing for him to do would be to tell Megure and the other policeman who are still nearby what's going down, which would have more benefits for both him and the fight against the BO. Shinichi is mostly about logic and still following them wouldn't be logical at all.

• Upvote 3

Can she? During cases, she usually doesn't. She even admits in one of the cases that deduction is not her thing and that this way of thinking does not suit her. She helped the kids figure Kobayashi's riddle with the help of Conan's hint and she partly figured out that one case when she made the childish mischievious smile. On the other hand, Ran solved an entire case on her own, without any deduction help from Shinichi. That's not her standard, but it is possible for her. Both are not on his level, but both can keep up.

when i said keep up with him i wasnt referring to just cases. although when ever they are working a case she is always the first one to understande what hes getting at before anyone, like for example in her first appearance. Ran cant keep up with Shinichi because whether he means to or not he never treats her as an equal especially in a case. if watch him when hes kudo in particular, he does what he has to do she is just there in the background, to him when he's working, she is person who calls the cops and thats it. haibara on the other hand is always there next to him, he bounced ideas of off her and she responds, they are partners and for someone as selfish as Shinichi that's actually a big deal. 

So can Ran, and so does Ran. She does it since they met each other, she admitted that much to Ran and Sera during the pre-school flashback.

she can't ground him. I dont remember a specific incident, after all these episodes and movies can you imagine Ran standing up to him and telling him that he's wrong or that he's too selfish and i don't mean that he's an idiot for not knowing how she feels. 

Ran is more independent than any other teenager in the show. She solely runs a three person household. But you probably meant "emotionally independent". Both Sera and Haibara commend her emotional strength in the series. She hasn't cried because Shinichi is gone for a long, long time now. Last time was File 379. She doing pretty well considering that Shinichi vanished and no person knows where he is.

saying that Ran is more independent than any other teenager in the show is unbelievable. After all Haibara is been through on her own, but back to emotional independence, the thing about Shinichi is that there's always going to be another case, and since he's getting involved with the FBI its safe to assume that the level of danger will only increase and Ran can't handle that, she has no idea how much danger he is in now and she's barely holding on. 

No, he wouldn't. It wouldn't make any sense for him to still run after them. If he retains his knowledge, he would act completely differently, to get a better outcome for him. The more logical thing for him to do would be to tell Megure and the other policeman who are still nearby what's going down, which would have more benefits for both him and the fight against the BO. Shinichi is mostly about logic and still following them wouldn't be logical at all.

seriously, i mean true it wouldn't make sense for anyone else but its perfectly plausible for Shinichi, has ever not chased down a criminal because it was too dangerous, i mean he saw Gin's car and broke into it knowing  exactly how dangerous it was. in that scenario he would call the cops but be would never stand back, he will go and try to be more careful, but he will still go after them. Ran honestly deserves better. 

when i said keep up with him i wasnt referring to just cases. although when ever they are working a case she is always the first one to understande what hes getting at before anyone, like for example in her first appearance. Ran cant keep up with Shinichi because whether he means to or not he never treats her as an equal especially in a case. if watch him when hes kudo in particular, he does what he has to do she is just there in the background, to him when he's working, she is person who calls the cops and thats it. haibara on the other hand is always there next to him, he bounced ideas of off her and she responds, they are partners and for someone as selfish as Shinichi that's actually a big deal. 

He bounces of Ran, just as much as he does with Ai, see Locked Room in the Sky, Holmes Revelation and the Aquarium Case for that. And Ai is mostly reduced to call the police as well and herding the DB off, see the upcoming two episodes Three First Discoverers as an example for that.

she can't ground him. I dont remember a specific incident, after all these episodes and movies can you imagine Ran standing up to him and telling him that he's wrong or that he's too selfish and i don't mean that he's an idiot for not knowing how she feels.

First episode. The fact that she grounds him is established in the first episode as one their dynamics. Other than that, Locked Room in the Sky, Desperate Revival, New York Case, Aquarium Case, Pre-School Flashback and a little bit in the Deduction Battle on the Ski Slope.

saying that Ran is more independent than any other teenager in the show is unbelievable. After all Haibara is been through on her own, but back to emotional independence, the thing about Shinichi is that there's always going to be another case, and since he's getting involved with the FBI its safe to assume that the level of danger will only increase and Ran can't handle that, she has no idea how much danger he is in now and she's barely holding on.

What do you mean, "she's barely holding on"? She's doing perfectly fine. Also, her dad was a policeman, so it's like she's not being used to close ones having dangerous jobs. Additionally, it's quite a leap to say that Shinichi will continue to work with the FBI after he's back to his true form is a quite a leap, considering they have no jurisdiction in Japan and Shinichi has no intention of leaving his home country, but that's a bit beside the point.

Also, I find it funny that you basically argue that Shiho is better than Ran in general, but yet still say that Ran deserves better than Shinichi, but Shiho somehow doesn't.

He bounces of Ran, just as much as he does with Ai, see Locked Room in the Sky, Holmes Revelation and the Aquarium Case for that. And Ai is mostly reduced to call the police as well and herding the DB off, see the upcoming two episodes Three First Discoverers as an example for that.

First episode. The fact that she grounds him is established in the first episode as one their dynamics. Other than that, Locked Room in the Sky, Desperate Revival, New York Case, Aquarium Case, Pre-School Flashback and a little bit in the Deduction Battle on the Ski Slope.

You're being blind if you really believe that Ran is just as good of a partner to Shinichi during cases as Shiho is.

And also, it's true that Shiho is able to ground him better. He has spent all these years with Ran and yet his ego is big and he is selfish, he has obviously fallen a bit to Earth since he became small, and he met Haibara. All Ran has done is act as his pretty little flower and cling to him, that'll only result in stroking his ego, and there's not much she'll be to him even in the future other than his pretty angelic flower. Haibara can be a much better and more realistic lover for him in terms of his personality development, her being around has and will present a lot of challenges to him which will make him a better person. Not to mention she's probably a more exciting lover & person for Shinichi than Ran.