Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

Japanese Classroom

well usually i heard oneechan is for siblings. and about -kun, i'm not sure.

but i think Conan calls Ran -neechan cause he felt her like his own sister (even though he doesn't have one) and for Sonoko cause she always hang out with Ran.

Hi folks! :D

Well, I'm already learning chinease, so it would be a bit difficult for me to try to learn both languages at once. But may I ask you a question? Hope I'll explain myself clearly. :3. (English is not even my mother language, sorry u_u).

You know that Ran calls Conan "Conan-kun" and he calls her "Ran-neechan". I heard it meant "little brother" and "old sister", right? But what about the others? For example, "oneechan" (he sometimes refers to Sonoko like this, doesn't he?). Which ones are the most common ones? Its for me to understand better the english sub videos

Thank you a lot! *U*.

It depends on what they call on a person they are closed with and who are not.

Edogawa-kun,refers that to Ran because of what Ran told him to call her since from the first place..

But he can actually, call her with "Nee-san"..Speaking of what "O" resembles from the word oneechan/san/sama was completely a respect version.

while the neechan/san/sama is the simple order.It can be also derived calling some ladies,like Hattori-kun do.

Wow! So many people who are joining!!! Yay!

Ahahaha! It's so funny I joined like last year's January and I start learning January 2012...and I'm still in Lesson 15. Anyway, I'm on Winter Vacation so I finally have the time to write in my "textbook."

Hi folks! :D

Well, I'm already learning chinease, so it would be a bit difficult for me to try to learn both languages at once. But may I ask you a question? Hope I'll explain myself clearly. :3. (English is not even my mother language, sorry u_u).

You know that Ran calls Conan "Conan-kun" and he calls her "Ran-neechan". I heard it meant "little brother" and "old sister", right? But what about the others? For example, "oneechan" (he sometimes refers to Sonoko like this, doesn't he?). Which ones are the most common ones? Its for me to understand better the english sub videos

Thank you a lot! *U*.

kun doesn't really mean little brother. But it is usually used to refer to younger boys or by girls to refer to boys their age or of the same status. Sometimes, kun can also be used to refer to girls who seem to command more respect or girls who are more boyish. It is a casual way to call a guy. (From my understanding)

For sister, the basic/standard is onee-san. chan is a cuter way to refer to girls or a cuter way to refer to people whom they want to feel close to. (E.g. Shinichi's mother calls him Shin-chan instead of kun). If you watch shows in the olden era, you might hear younger people calling their sisters Ane or Ani(brother) which seems similar to Korean. They add a -ue behind instead of -san for a more formal address.

For older brother: Onii-san. :P -chan is another way to add a post-fix. The O- prefix is also a way to suggest respect. Many nouns and greetings of japanese start with an O-. Let's say, Oyasumi, Ohayou, Otousan, Okaasan, Otearai, Okaeri, Okane...

Father: Otousan

Mother: Okaasan

Aunt: Obasan

Uncle: Ojisan

Granny: Obaasan

Gramps: Ojiisan

Younger sis: Imoto

Younger Brother: Otouto

Something like that. Please correct me if wrong.

kun doesn't really mean little brother. But it is usually used to refer to younger boys or by girls to refer to boys their age or of the same status. Sometimes, kun can also be used to refer to girls who seem to command more respect or girls who are more boyish. It is a casual way to call a guy. (From my understanding)

For sister, the basic/standard is onee-san. chan is a cuter way to refer to girls or a cuter way to refer to people whom they want to feel close to. (E.g. Shinichi's mother calls him Shin-chan instead of kun). If you watch shows in the olden era, you might hear younger people calling their sisters Ane or Ani(brother) which seems similar to Korean. They add a -ue behind instead of -san for a more formal address.

For older brother: Onii-san. :P -chan is another way to add a post-fix. The O- prefix is also a way to suggest respect. Many nouns and greetings of japanese start with an O-. Let's say, Oyasumi, Ohayou, Otousan, Okaasan, Otearai, Okaeri, Okane...

Father: Otousan

Mother: Okaasan

Aunt: Obasan

Uncle: Ojisan

Granny: Obaasan

Gramps: Ojiisan

Younger sis: Imoto

Younger Brother: Otouto

Something like that. Please correct me if wrong.

Oseikai!!!(Correct!!!)

i'm confused on 2 things.

1. do they call both doctors and teachers sensei?
  2. when girls say you they use anata. so how about boys?

Hello! Let me answer your questions.

1. Yes, they do. Not only for doctors and teachers, but Japanese also calls a novelist, manga-ka (someone who draws manga), and the likes with 'sensei'

2. There are different grades in calling someone in Japanese. As for formal speech, men or boys use 'Anata (あなた)' as well, or 'Anta (あんた)' to speak with the second party (you). But for more casual but still in respect ways, they'll use 'Kimi (君)', mostly when talking with the girls. 'Omae (おまえ)' will be used when they talk to their friends, usually to the same age as theirs or younger. 'Temee (てめえ)' is only used when they express an anger, an annoyance, or even just for a joke and it's not very recommended when we talk to the older one. Click here for more information Japanese Prounouns.

Looks like I've been slacking off and had abandon you guys lately... gomen ne, minna 875328cc.gif! But now, I'm back, and I'd be working on the lessons again ali_033.gif! Wait for me!

Oh, and I'll try to reply to all of you soon, hopefully JFBQ00184070402A.gif.

And of course, you are all in by default (to the new guys who recently wanna join) yociexpress01.gif!

• Upvote 1

Hello! Let me answer your questions.

1. Yes, they do. Not only for doctors and teachers, but Japanese also calls a novelist, manga-ka (someone who draws manga), and the likes with 'sensei'

2. There are different grades in calling someone in Japanese. As for formal speech, men or boys use 'Anata (あなた)' as well, or 'Anta (あんた)' to speak with the second party (you). But for more casual but still in respect ways, they'll use 'Kimi (君)', mostly when talking with the girls. 'Omae (おまえ)' will be used when they talk to their friends, usually to the same age as theirs or younger. 'Temee (てめえ)' is only used when they express an anger, an annoyance, or even just for a joke and it's not very recommended when we talk to the older one. Click here for more information Japanese Prounouns.

Tna-chan!

anou, sumimasen, may I join?

Ok,sure~it's alright!

Can I join? My name is Jasmine Montemayor a.k.a Magic Kaito . I'm a 13 years old girl. I really dont't know anything about lapanese language. So, can I join here?

Sure~ Our teacher Kaoko-san can help you with that and Tna-chan too.Me too~

Joining! If that's still possible. xD ...so how does this online classroom work? ;;

OK!

Looks like I've been slacking off and had abandon you guys lately... gomen ne, minna 875328cc.gif! But now, I'm back, and I'd be working on the lessons again ali_033.gif! Wait for me!

Oh, and I'll try to reply to all of you soon, hopefully JFBQ00184070402A.gif.

And of course, you are all in by default (to the new guys who recently wanna join) yociexpress01.gif!

Kaoko-san! Thank goodness you're back!

By the way, do you know the difference between the following:

ore

boku

atashi

watashi

washi

ware?

Ore is generally used by older men but not too old. It would be wired to have a kid refer to himself using ore.

Boku would be more likely what a young boy would refer to himself as.

Watashi means 'I' and is used by both genders but men normally only use it when in a formal situation while women use it in casual situations.

Sorry for butting in there, btw. May I join your class? I've been studying japanese for a year but you can only learn so much without a solid source to learn from...

I'd like to ask a question,

I know about the small 'tsu' you sometimes see and what it does but sometimes I see a samll 'a, i, u, e or o' beside a character. What do they do?

I'd like to ask a question,

I know about the small 'tsu' you sometimes see and what it does but sometimes I see a samll 'a, i, u, e or o' beside a character. What do they do?

They serve as a long ways of some japanese words,not some japanese people used it not occasionally, but often.

Look for the following below.

ねぇ(NEe)could considerate as "not" for boys, as they use NEe for じゃない(Janai) which Janai becomes Janee..

なぁ(NAa)could considerate as long way of saying "right" and short for でしょう(Deshou)..

Meanwhile, others often use small A,I,U,E and O for sentences which way they say.