Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

Japanese Classroom

Wow! That's cool! How many alphabets there is in Japanese? :razz:

They're called characters.

There 48 of them (in the most modern order). But the order (and number of characters in the order) have changed since they were first introduced.

• Upvote 1

They're called characters.

There 48 of them (in the most modern order). But the order (and number of characters in the order) have changed since they were first introduced.

So they are not called alphabets after all, Just knew that :) btw, Thanks!

I'll join ^^

I don't have any japanese software... but i'll see if i can find some online for free ^^

umm i have some basic knowledge of hiragana, and extremely little of katakana...

i understand some sentences by ear because of anime ;)

but i'm still a complete beginner... (I do have a japanese beginner app on my ipod which i have been neglecting since i've been doing too much work... but i'll get back to using it ^^)

Wow! That's cool! How many alphabets there is in Japanese?

well the hiragana are... and according to this app there are 46...

a, i, u, e, o

ka, ki, ku, ke, ko

sa, shi, su, se, so

ta, chi, tsu, te, to

na, ni, nu, ne, no

ha, hi, fu, he, ho

ma, mi, mu, me, mo

ya, yu, yo

ra, ri, ru, re, ro

wa, wo(or o), n

Go ahead :wink:.

And by original story, I meant the one you put up.

I'll be posting it later. Sohite, arigatou na, Kenny-sensei :D!

This looks good, can't wait until next lesson

I'm glad you like it, Emy ^^... I'll be editing the post in a mean time :D. I also need to make the intro of Japanese writing system before I start to fill your heads with the characters :P.

great lesson! Just to make sure. i was wonderin if

"aa" is written as: img18.gifimg18.gif

Also what Language is DC in?

Yes, you are right, Cheesus-kun.

And DC's original is Japanese (you should know this as a fan :o); but it's also dubbed in other languages (but it's orginally Japanese B))

I'll join ^^

I don't have any japanese software... but i'll see if i can find some online for free ^^

umm i have some basic knowledge of hiragana, and extremely little of katakana...

i understand some sentences by ear because of anime ;)

but i'm still a complete beginner... (I do have a japanese beginner app on my ipod which i have been neglecting since i've been doing too much work... but i'll get back to using it ^^)

Yay, Kiel-chan is joining!

Anyone know any programs that can make you type Japanese?

I know how to install them :P

Here:

1. http://www.njstar.com/cms/njstar-japanese-word-processor-download
  2. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=24a66277-cd9f-4332-a6f1-52b85a6470bd

The first one is for writing and the second link is for downloading the fonts (although, I think the first link provides you everything but just in case: install both B)). In the computer I use I can't see Japanese writings in Chrome but can in Firefox.

There's another software where you can write Japanese everywhere, but the affect is kinda bad, it'll change some writings in your desktop and stuff :(.

Thank you! Kaoko!

In case any one was wondering

imasu means the verb takes place in the present.

btw Kaoko does the verb of a sentence go near the end?

Atari!! You are right on the mark, Cheesus-kun B).

Ex. Watashi wa tabete imasu (I'm eating).

The plain form of the following 'tabete = to eat' is 'taberu'... you'd have to change the verb to Te Form if you want to add 'imasu' (for the present tense) :).

In Japanese almost all verbs comes at the end of sentences (also, I think there's exception).

(I'd try to get into letting you know about Japanese verbs in a short time [hopefully])

But I do hope what I said makes sense :(.

PS. You can install Japanese fonts on following link now B).

• Upvote 1

oh i see Thanks!

btw

heres a book dedicated to lettering of Japanese

http://www.mediafire.com/?4jumi22momn

its Called Kana De Manga.

Kana de Manga, the latest entry in the popular Manga University lineup of books, uses original manga artwork to teach students how to read, write and pronounce the Japanese hiragana and katakana alphabets, also known as "kana." Author Glenn Kardy, editor of several of the English-language volumes in the world-renowned How to Draw Manga series, and artist Chihiro Hattori have teamed up to create this must-have book for manga enthusiasts who are interested in more than just pretty pictures. Includes a foreword by Dr. Ronald A. Morse, professor of Japan Studies at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

sweet lesson 2

Just a heads up. Learn the characters in Romanji and then dont use romanji any more as it will become a habit to some people!

That was lesson 1 7f5341cc.gif...

And you are right one the point there th_100_.gif.

wasnt lesson 1 the "a" or did you just continue it

I just edited it d33561e9.gif. I thought it was awkward to just start straight away with the Hiragana, so 098eb4a5.gif...

PS. Did you install the software by the way, or, did it work :o ?

Introduction to Japanese Characters & Hiragana: Lesson 1 - 'あ' [a]<-Previous Lesson

Hello, everyone, how's your studies going? Did you finish the homework we gave you yesterday ;) ?

OK, now will be the lesson 2 for the Hiragana 'い'

Hiragana: Lesson 2 - 'い'

100px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_I.png

い in hiragana or イ in katakana (romanised as i) is one of the Japanese kana each of which represents one mora. い is based on the sōsho style of the kanji character 以, and イ is from the radical (left part) of the kanji character 伊. In the modern Japanese system of alphabetical order, it occupies the second position of the alphabet, between あ and う. Additionally, it is the first letter in Iroha, before ろ. In order to write the hiragana い, draw a curve, not entirely unlike a parenthesis, downward stroke with a hook, and then draw a smaller, floating curve to the right side. Both represent the sound . In the Ainu language, katakana イ is written as y in their Latin-based alphabet, and a small ィ after another katakana represents a diphthong.

Pronunciation:

'い' = 'i' is pronounced as 'ee' as in 'eat'.

Word beginning with 'い':

1. 行く = く (iku -> to go)
  2. 石 = し (ishi -> stone)
  3. っしょ (issho -> together)
  4. す (isu -> chair)

Strokes order:

The Hiragana い is made in two strokes:

1. At the top left, a curved vertical stroke, ending with a hook at the bottom.
  2. At the top right, a shorter stroke, slightly curving in the opposite direction.

200px-%E3%81%84-bw.png

Hiragana_%E3%81%84_stroke_order_animation.gif

Note: Same again, you shall write 'い' at least 50 - 100 times in your textbook. After you do that, write 'あ' and 'い' one after each (あ, い, あ, い, あ, etc.) 50 times (or 100 if you have the time) B) .

PS. After learning 5 of hiragana characters, I'm thinking if I/we (Kenny-sensei :P ) should introduce you some of verbs B) . Any questions?

Source (above [intro]): Wikipedia

• Upvote 1

nice lesson :D

Thank you for your kind words, Cheesus-kun. I think you are the most motivated and determined-to-learn student at the moment th_103_.gif. Have you learnt all of the Japanese characters by the way? Cheesus-kun?

Dear students, where's your spirits th_015_orz-v2.gif!!?

Or do you learn without us knowing 014.gif?! LOL! I'd like to know if you did your homeworks or not... was it helpful? Any suggestions f529a952.gif?

Hiragana: Lesson 2 - 'い' <-Previous lesson

OK, now for Hiragana' 3rd lesson...

Hiragana: Lesson 3 - 'う'

100px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_U.png

う in hiragana or ウ in katakana (romanised u) is one of the Japanese kana, each of which represents one mora. In the modern Japanese system of alphabetical order, they occupy the third place in the modern Gojūon (五十音) system of collating kana. In the Iroha, they occupied the 24th position, between む and ゐ. In the Gojūon chart (ordered by columns, from right to left), う lies in the first column (あ行, "column A") and the third row (う段, "row U").

Pronunciation:

う is pronounced 'oo' as in 'moon'

Word Beginning with 'う':

1. 上 = え (ue -> on; over; above; top; older)
  2. 嘘 = そ (uso -> lie)
  3. 美しい = つくしい (utsukushii -> beautiful)
  4. 海 = み (umi -> sea)

Strokes order:

200px-U_%28kana%29.png

Hiragana_%E3%81%86_stroke_order_animation.gif

The hiragana う is written in two strokes:

1. At the top of the character, a short diagonal crook: proceeding diagonally downwards from the left, then reversing direction and ending at the lower left.
  2. A broad curving stroke: beginning at the left, rising slightly, then curving back and ending at the left.

Note: Same as the previous lessons, you shall write 'う' at least 50 - 100 times in your textbook. Now following the same method; after you do that, write 'あ', 'い', 'う' each after each (あ, い, う, あ, い, う, あ, い, う, etc.) 100 times B).

• Upvote 1