1. 1. Is Kaito Kid overrated?

• Overrated
    • A little overrated
    • Not overrated or underrated
    • A little underrated
    • Underrated

he NEEDS to be caught at least ONCE.

notch that arrogance down a bit.

You mean caught once and then he instantly breaks the prison/or someone will help him break the prison? Or caught once and make him spend considerable time in prison?

Kaitou Kid is so not overrated! He's awesome! I personally think arrogance is a great trait unless the arrogant character sucks at whatever they say they're great at (Horio in Prince of Tennis) or Genta (I'm the leader of the DB and Conan's my underling!). Kaitou Kid is a great thief, and Kuroba Kaito is just a funny person. And probably is a little low on sanity from time to time! ^-^ Sorry, I just got off of a KaiShin fanfic marathon.

Kaitou Kid is so not overrated! He's awesome! I personally think arrogance is a great trait unless the arrogant character sucks at whatever they say they're great at (Horio in Prince of Tennis) or Genta (I'm the leader of the DB and Conan's my underling!). Kaitou Kid is a great thief, and Kuroba Kaito is just a funny person. And probably is a little low on sanity from time to time! ^-^ Sorry, I just got off of a KaiShin fanfic marathon.

can you link me to the fanfic?lol

He's AWESOME! His arrogance is his trademark. I love his arrogance and confidence. However, many a times, Conan manages to corner him in different weird situations. Sometimes his shocked face is too cute. XD Especially when he got hit by Conan's soccerball and he hid below the window looking stumped XD...

Talking about arrogance. Shinichi is arrogant as well. But I love that about him as well. He has talent so he is entitled to being arrogant. Not like Kogoro, who is arrogant even when most of the time it isnt him solving the crimes.

He's AWESOME! His arrogance is his trademark. I love his arrogance and confidence. However, many a times, Conan manages to corner him in different weird situations. Sometimes his shocked face is too cute. XD Especially when he got hit by Conan's soccerball and he hid below the window looking stumped XD...

Talking about arrogance. Shinichi is arrogant as well. But I love that about him as well. He has talent so he is entitled to being arrogant. Not like Kogoro, who is arrogant even when most of the time it isnt him solving the crimes.

Definitely. He's not overrated. I mean, he's the criminal that even Shinichi can't beat, and Kid doesn't even have anything truly dangerous to harm anyone with. I mean, the BO has guns and stuff, but Kaito just has a card gun and smoke bombs. He never lets anyone get hurt. He'll dive off a building to save somebody if necessary. He's arrogant, but that's because he has skill, he's confident since he's never been beat, and he's funny. (and devious) LOL. I want Conan to meet Kaito and have Kaito pull a prank on him.

And agreeing with Latte-kun(or chan), he's so cute when Conan is about to beat him! KAWAII... I loved when he was running away and was like 'how do they keep finding me?' when he has the note on his back. All of the Gosho Guys are arrogant. (but it looks best on Hakuba. XD The more arrogant he looks, the cooler he is.)

His cases are overrated. I only liked the second one (Magician's meeting - Kid was mostly irrelevant) and third one (gathering of detectives), the rest are all either way too easy or japanese wordplay which is pretty much impossible for non-native speakers and not fun to try to solve (or a combination of both). Usually, the murder mysteries where Kaito takes second stage are better than the ones where the whole goal is catching Kid.

As for Kaitou Kid being overrated, he does fulfill the role of real rival to Shinichi, and routinely partially succeeds at his crimes which is nice because Shinichi has recently (past 400 chapters or so) been portrayed as otherwise impossible to get the better of. The negatives concerning Kaito are that he has pretty much no character development, and will never have any direct relevance to the plot.

Although I didn't particularly like Magic Kaito, I liked Kaito's interactions with the Nakamoris and the rest of his class as he attempted to pull off heists. That aspect doesn't exist in DC because Kaito isn't a character outside of his Kid role. It means he loses a lot of his charm.

Plotwise, magical crying gem Pandora will never be incorporated into DC because it simply just doesn't match genres. Without Pandora, unless Gosho wants to write a new backstory, Kaito Kid has no reason to involve himself in anything plot related, unlike Hattori who is a friend to Conan.

I used to want to see him taken down a few notches, but I realized that was merely a proxy for my real desire to see him actually do something interesting that develops his character. Getting caught would do that, but I don't really care at this point how it happens. Having likable cases would also help.

Only Kuroba Toichi Kid and his past interactions with the adult characters like Sharon/Vermouth stands any chance of showing up in the plot. The problem is Toichi is rather dead, so his involvement, if there is any more, will be limited to flashbacks.

-----

Summary: Kaito Kid is sometimes interesting, but he is unlikely to develop character-wise or plot-wise. He probably deserves about the same level hype as Hattori. As Kaito Kid seems to get more hype than that, he is overrated in my opinion. Kaito's cases are also mostly mediocre or worse.

• Upvote 1

Summary: Kaito Kid is sometimes interesting, but he is unlikely to develop character-wise or plot-wise. He probably deserves about the same level hype as Hattori. As Kaito Kid seems to get more hype than that, he is overrated in my opinion. Kaito's cases are also mostly mediocre or worse.

This is why fans exist. So we can give him hype. I think the cases where he's the only goal are actually some of the most interesting. (excluding the ones where Heiji comes in. I want to see a chapter where Heiji is battling Kaito and Hakuba pops in for no apparent reason! That would be so cool! Forget about Shinichi!) Even though I have no understanding of the language, the way Conan simplifies his letters are probably some of the hardest riddles he gets. About the development- I think he does that when Gosho writes parts of Magic Kaito. I think he's taking a break from DC sometime this summer and writing a chapter or two of MK instead. Most of the time when characters show fear, Kaito shows us a Poker Face instead, which also contributes to the 'lack-of-character-development' cuz Conan doesn't know about the magical Poker Face. XD In other words, I think Kaito is in no way overrated. (but seriously, he and Hakuba (as Kaito and Hakuba) should show up sometime.)

I don't hate him, but I don't love him either.

He's just there.

If he's featured in a new chapter, I don't really care.

I'm more into things that move the story plot forward.

Kaito Kid doesn't usually do that, so I'm usually just neutral toward cases that involve him.

I do think he is overrated. God knows I'm not a fan of Kaito Kid at all, but most of the cases in which he appeared in the first 300 episodes or so were at least decent. It wasn't until Sonoko's uncle (which is the worst character to have ever existed in the manga world) was introduced that his cases began to suck because they started to focus only on him (like Chekhov says, cases where he takes second stage are better) making them extremely repetitive, usually boring (the only goal is finding out he's disguised out) and serving only as comic relief.

• Upvote 1

This is why fans exist. So we can give him hype. I think the cases where he's the only goal are actually some of the most interesting. (excluding the ones where Heiji comes in. I want to see a chapter where Heiji is battling Kaito and Hakuba pops in for no apparent reason! That would be so cool! Forget about Shinichi!) Even though I have no understanding of the language, the way Conan simplifies his letters are probably some of the hardest riddles he gets. About the development- I think he does that when Gosho writes parts of Magic Kaito. I think he's taking a break from DC sometime this summer and writing a chapter or two of MK instead. Most of the time when characters show fear, Kaito shows us a Poker Face instead, which also contributes to the 'lack-of-character-development' cuz Conan doesn't know about the magical Poker Face. XD In other words, I think Kaito is in no way overrated. (but seriously, he and Hakuba (as Kaito and Hakuba) should show up sometime.)

Agreed. The star of the show is not the characters, but the cases itself. However, it is the characters that bring out the cases. I think the Kaitou kid episodes are the best because it actually brings the story into another arc where you see another very smart character battle another smart character and one gives the riddles and the other solves them.

However, I do have to agree that some of the Kaitou Kid episodes are not as entertaining than what I've expected and I do hope they actually make it more interesting like the first few of Kaitou Kid's appearances >_<

How I wish there was a storyline for him in the series :(

does anyone agree with me ?? :?:

everyone (almost everywhere) always talks about kaito kid being soo cool. I don't think he's that cool. He's too arrogant and sure of himself. I wish he would get caught at least once!

It's not that i hate this character, but.......

he is just a robber who uses magic and then thats the main thing girls like about

Overrated? Seriously - he's a joke to the whole Detective Conan series. Up until episode 76 there's this realism then came this kid and messed up anything. Please explain how he can change from his appearance and mimic voice? It's just stupid and defies the realism the detective conan has showed so far.

I skipped every episode that features kid. Love Detective Conan but kid just mess up everything like when you eat ice cream in the middle of snowy mountain.

Overrated? Seriously - he's a joke to the whole Detective Conan series. Up until episode 76 there's this realism then came this kid and messed up anything. Please explain how he can change from his appearance and mimic voice? It's just stupid and defies the realism the detective conan has showed so far.

I skipped every episode that features kid. Love Detective Conan but kid just mess up everything like when you eat ice cream in the middle of snowy mountain.

Kaito was trained by Toichi, who also trained Vermouth and Yukiko. If you're not complaining about Vermouth and Yukiko defying realism by using voice mimicry and changing their appearances, then it kinda means you're contradicting yourself unsure.gif

I don't think he's overrated.

He hasn't been caught so he has SOMETHING to back it up with.

Also, to be honest, I came across MK before DC so Kaito is one of my favorite characters, in the top 5 ^_^

He's a fun and lovable character, I enjoy his carefree attitude and smart thinking.

Besides, I like how he's a nice thief, I don't see that everyday, he cares about other people's safety &he steals, and then returns.

The only thing we can't return would be Pandora if he ever gets his hands on it and destroy it..

Kaito was trained by Toichi, who also trained Vermouth and Yukiko. If you're not complaining about Vermouth and Yukiko defying realism by using voice mimicry and changing their appearances, then it kinda means you're contradicting yourself unsure.gif

Im so in love with you Sayomi! Thanks for speaking up for him! XDDDDDDDDD

Kaito was trained by Toichi, who also trained Vermouth and Yukiko. If you're not complaining about Vermouth and Yukiko defying realism by using voice mimicry and changing their appearances, then it kinda means you're contradicting yourself http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

To be fair, I don't remember Yukiko ever mimicking someone else's voice. As for Vermouth, we've never seen her change appearance at the speed of light which makes the whole thing a bit more plausible.

To answer the question of the thread, Kid is indeed overrated like most if not all of the good-looking boys in mangas read by teenage girls (which is the case of shônen).

• Upvote 1