Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

English Language Thread

Well, how can you use "I like you" instead of the sentence "I prefer to like this guy."? lol

I personally use the latter, because I am a proper American guy.

Well, I like you kinda gets to the point. The latter sentence is more indirect.

"prefer" always implies comparison... if you're saying you prefer to like someone, you're saying that you choose them over someone else, or that you're more interested in liking them than disliking them

and of course, some of the rules you guys are stating have tons of exceptions... it seems like there are often more exceptions in English than examples that follow the rule (aside from the example I listed at the top of my post - that one's pretty much always true)

It depends if it is a "noun" or "verb".

if the word is a noun you have to put "S" in Plural form...

ex: bird-birds... dog- dogs...

if it is a verb you have to put "S" in singular form...

ex: he eats an apple

they eat a breakfast

shouldn't that be " they eat breakfast " not " they eat a breakfast "

and your sentence is incomplete or it doesn't make any sense.

it's like this " they eat a breakfast "

you should have done it like this " they eat hotdogs for breakfast. " :D

If the subject was "I", and not "he", then below would, I believe, be valid:

I always run away.

Now I have a question of my own: Can anyone give me examples of perfect future tense predicates? unsure.gif

may i join, too?

Yeah, of course :)

If you have any question about English, just feel free to ask... There are members here who come from English-speaking countries or are very good at English, so they can help us improving our English :)

Yeah, I'm pretty fluent in English since I live in the US. :) I can help! ^^ But don't expect to know the names of all the complicated stuff because I wasn't really paying much attention last year in English class. (and I still passed with an 'A'. blink.gif)

Yeah, I'm pretty fluent in English since I live in the US. :) I can help! ^^ But don't expect to know the names of all the complicated stuff because I wasn't really paying much attention last year in English class. (and I still passed with an 'A'. blink.gif)

Somehow, I don't think that would help you much.

Somehow, I don't think that would help you much.

Why? The US uses English as it's primary language. mellow.gif And I like reading and writing, so I'm quite decent with English...

Why? The US uses English as it's primary language. mellow.gif And I like reading and writing, so I'm quite decent with English...

The US doesn't always use English properly. Reading and writing, however, will help you. Oh, and I'm from the US, so I don't, you know, hate the US or something like that...

Yeah... I'm in Honors English though, so I hope I'm learning English correctly... In fact I'm doing my summer English homework right now. dry.gif (hate homework...)

oh god... why english whyyyyyyy (sorry, i just got a teacher i hate with all of my... hatred xD i can't stand that woman)

In American schools we are being taught proper grammar, the problem is that nobody uses it because it's a pain in the ass.

You don't neeed perfect English to get by in America. In all truth, you only need the grammar skills of an elementary school student. That's because even a ten year old is able to talk in almost perfect grammar and everyone is capable of understanding them (not including foreign language speakers who know little english).

(oz my god... i hate typing in proper grammar and such... it's such a pain!!! well, i'll try to write in as proper grammar for this thread except for what i first said and this comment here xD i'm not very good with technical names since when you say them i automatically think of latin where i first heard about tenses other than future, present, and past tense... anywaysss, i'll do my best to help :D)