Detective Conan World
Maurice

Need "Detective" game ideas!!

I've been thinking for a while now about developing a "detective" type game (however small or big it might be) and I've just not figured out the best gameplay factor/strategy yet. I was thinking, as a start, of a web-based game that we could even publish on Facebook and/or MySpace. But just like any creation, finding the right and best concept is the most difficult part. I'm actually not worried about the development part at all! It's all about the ideas and the level of fun we can integrate into the game. :)

So, that's where you guys could help out!

Do you have any idea that could make a "detective" game work? And be fun/enjoyable?

Just pieces of ideas would help too. Then, just like a puzzle we could assemble a full game putting them together! :D

It would be soo awesome if we could release a DCW game entirely conceived and created from scratch by its very own community! :P

Anyway, use this thread as a placeholder for ideas that could potentially be useful or fun in a detective-type game.

Thank you! :D

• Upvote 3

Are you thinking of doing a game based in the DC world, or a more general-type detective game?

To be honest, all the detective games I've seen to date haven't really impressed me. I just finished the first two volumes of "Professor Layton", which were a lot of fun... but I don't think they're as open-ended as a detective game should be (basically, that series is a bunch of brain teasers vaguely tied together by a detective adventure).

If it was up to me, I'd write the game more like Carmen Sandiego - you're given a place to start, and then you're free to do the legwork on your own and are permitted to choose the path to follow... even if it's wrong and you find yourself retracing your steps.

I don't know anything about programming, but I might be able to give input on other aspects.

I was thinking of a more genetal-type detective game just to avoid possible copyright issues if I were to use the name and characters from DC.

I also though of something like Carmen Sandiego (which was a pretty fun game at the time) but there would have to be something unique to it to make you wanna play more. The fun/addicting factor I guess.

What I also eventually had in mind was something that would be community-based (and not just an actual standalone one-player game), a bit like online games are. You would have an account and would be able to interact with other members.

Here are some of my ideas:

- You would start as a new Detective in a country or region (i.e. it'd be the start of your career).

- You would progress by performing little local detective jobs to gain money and reputation.

- There would be a ranking system and your goal would be to climb the ladder and become a famous and well-established detective (a bit like how Kogoro did indirectly thanks to Conan :P).

- With the money, you would be able to own your own agency and possibly hire people. You could upgrade your car to lower the delay between when you can do jobs (if we go with a system like that).

- You would be able to trade with players or challenge them (you would get experience or items out of it).

- Depending on your level, you could participate to Competitions (I don't know if something like that exists in the real world but that would be cool + it's ok to add imaginary elements to the game).

- And more similar ideas...

The challenge is really to make a solid and attractive concept out of all those bits of ideas.

Does it sound like something you might play eventually? =o

that definitely sounds like something I would play! I'm not really into RPG's, but having that added level of gameplay would definitely pull me in ^_^

[edit] I just mentioned your idea to my friend, and he asked if there would be a way for some player characters to be villains

[/edit]

Here are some of my ideas:

- You would start as a new Detective in a country or region (i.e. it'd be the start of your career).

- You would progress by performing little local detective jobs to gain money and reputation.

- There would be a ranking system and your goal would be to climb the ladder and become a famous and well-established detective (a bit like how Kogoro did indirectly thanks to Conan :P).

- With the money, you would be able to own your own agency and possibly hire people. You could upgrade your car to lower the delay between when you can do jobs (if we go with a system like that).

- You would be able to trade with players or challenge them (you would get experience or items out of it).

- Depending on your level, you could participate to Competitions (I don't know if something like that exists in the real world but that would be cool + it's ok to add imaginary elements to the game).

- And more similar ideas...

somewhere along the lines of mafia wars and nitrous/street racing? :D hehe. if your idea was to incorporate the basics (status, awards, rewards, etc.) with this:

Carmen Sandiego - you're given a place to start, and then you're free to do the legwork on your own and are permitted to choose the path to follow... even if it's wrong and you find yourself retracing your steps.

then that would be great! i like the choosing part 'coz it could either expedite your mission or slow you down, or maybe lead you to another case to solve :D then maybe you could gain bonus items or experience or whatever depending on the path, too.
a way for some player characters to be villains
oOo.. and this one's like Heroes vs. Villains where you could choose sides? :P like maybe they could they could either hide or give you the wrong clue, or somewhat like a competing agency where they solve cases in an evil manner and damage your rep? detective war games.. haha i like!

(i'm obviously blabbing here :oops:) whatever it's gonna be, count me in on beta-testing!

I like your ideas Maurice. I would like to add some more ideas:

-don't make the game to be played like Mafia Wars on Facebook. It's boring and unenjoyable. Moreover, it's like you're winning without much effort and thinking. I prefer the game to be like how you play Grand Theft Auto, except that you cannot enter any cheats.

-there would be some hints given during the game, then when all the hints are given, you will be asked for your deduction...until you give the correct one.

-the previous case would have some connection to the next case.

That's all I can think of for now.

How about adding some dangerous people in it? And if they kill you you going back to the lower level or beggining? And if it's possible you should let people make they own charakter. I mean choosing color of hairs and eyes, picking you clothes and everything. Most of girls in my class are loving that kinda games.

all nice ideas but the best if u make it more adventure because case closed on wii it was very short and it annoyed me a lot because of sticking in the same place!! :grin:

HOPE U LIKE MY IDEA :wink:

AND ACCUTULLY I FINESHED THE GAME WITH 4 DAYS ONLY ITS VERY SHORT !!

BYE WITH ANOTHER TALK

This game would sound like a lot of fun.What if there were bad guys in the game like the men in black and are up to something fishy and take someone who is important from you away and you go after them to get revenge but when you confront them you have a choice to kill them or not kill them.

interesting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As expected of the child that you have yours eyes on. It almost makes me want to scout him for the bureau.

jamesblack.jpg

Very interesting and courageous of you! Creating a game (a detective one, no less) is quite a challenge for you to consider!

One thing I would certainly encourage is to have a single whole plot line along with number other smaller plots that tie in to help process the overall picture. For example, maybe add in a flashback somewhere within the main plot that involved something important to the character that was taken away by the antagonist, and revealing their time/re-obtaining what is important to them being the center focus of the game.

Meanwhile, as you begin your adventure into the detective field, you're side-tracked with various cases that eventually (once solved) leave you with a small clue that involves the overall goal of the detective — even if he or she doesn't initially realize it.

The others above me have posted excellent suggestions as well! I especially agree with the "adventure" suggestion. Lets see out hero roam!

Tying in a moral could help add depth as well and inspire various events during the timeline of the adventure. "There is only one truth", for example.

On a final note, as any mystery-lover may be interested in, how about a 1900s London timeframe? Sherlock would be proud. B)

Edit: And I just realized this was an older topic bumped up! Pardon me, haha!

Well, I don't know if this project is still active, but if you are searching for some ideas for a detective game, I can strongly recommand to watch the Umineko No Naku Koro Ni animated series which is an adaptation of a visual-novel and has some revolutionary ideas about what could be the concept/gameplay of a detective video game.

Without necessarily using their ideas, this serie can really inspire you a lot of things, I think.

Ajax is more of a process than anything else. It's the fact of using a combination of Javascript and server scripting to dynamically load section(s) of a page without having to reload the whole page (by using internal requests at the Javascript level).

MySQL is a database software which will be used in our case to store information data about everything related to the game (users, items, quests, etc...).