Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 997–999: The Lost Phone Strap

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

997 spoiler pics are now out (9 in total, so definitely no direct link to them from me, this time—PM me if you don't know where to go to see them).

No break next week—998 spoiler pics will be out a week from now.

EDIT:

Here's a summary of the spoiler pics by Spimer from DCTP:

Spoiler

Conan goes to Agasa's home to pick up the smartphone he'd been repairing . Haibara asks what did he want and Agasa says he came to pick the phone earlier since Haibara was going to give him when they went to the soccer match. He turns it on to find 17 messages from Ran in a group titled "School Field Trip" all asking him if he'll come to the trip and if he has suggestions followed by Ran getting annoyed at the lack of responses to his messages wondering if his phone got broken or something. 

The DBs come back from seeing a soccer match in the train and Conan tries begging Haibara for the APTX antidote but she flat out refuses scolding him for not learning the lesson from what happened in London and remembering him about the short duration of it and that she can't predict what side-effects there'll be if he uses them in a row to avoid reverting during the school trip. 

Higo had appeared during the match and met with Haibara, seeing how she had a smartphone strap of him and was amused. Conan tried to side with Haibara in supporting Big Osaka but it appears that they lost the match, making Haibara very annoyed and blaming Conan for that since he does stuff uncalled for: several passengers walk out in a rush off the train and accidentally knock several of the DBs into the ground. Conan tries to show concern for Haibara but she sees through his acting.

The group returns to Agasa's house and talk about how they met Higo: but just when Haibara is getting in a better mood Genta comments that if Higo had taken part Big Osaka might've won: Haibara then realizes the strap of her smartphone has come off and cries about how she can't get it anymore and Higo had approved of it: she slumps into the floor from the shock since it was a unique stamp which she can't buy anymore, and, what's more, approved by Higo. Genta guesses she dropped it when they tripped on the train. 

Then Subaru appears and asks what happened along with some curry which he got told it wasn't properly cooked and tried to cook it better so he brought some excess for the group: the DBs explain that the strap has been found in a train station and ask Subaru to drive them there: Haibara isn't coming because she's still shocked. Subaru then says he has plans and can't drive them there since he has plans to use the car for something else later but they should ask "him" since he saw a "familiar car" stopped next to Agasa's home. And that car is a white RX-7 so that means they should ask Amuro to drive them there.

The DBs get to the station with Amuro and retrieve the strap at the lost objects office but it turns out that Genta has lost his DB badge but nobody has delivered it to the lost objects office yet: Amuro asks about what the DB badge and Ayumi replies that Agasa made them.

Meanwhile, a mysterious man silently looks at the group...

EDIT #2:

And for those of you who want a text bubble by text bubble, panel by panel, page by page translation for all of 997's spoiler pics, PM me and I'll provide you a link to it.

• Upvote 1

See this guy, with the hat, glove tan, and the bag with a big rectangular bag bulge? I'm calling him for now as the shadowman lurker. There is another guy nearby in a matching cap and jacket, but he isn't drawn with near as much detail.

o40l00N.png

Also did Conan just grab that woman's butt to stabilize himself?

22 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:
Spoiler

See this guy, with the hat, glove tan, and the bag with a big rectangular bulge? I'm calling him for now as the shadowman lurker. There is another guy nearby in a matching cap and jacket, but he isn't drawn with near as much detail.

o40l00N.png

Also did Conan just grab that woman's butt to stabilize himself?

Spoiler

The less detailed guy was my first choice for the shadowman lurker. Now, part of me will be expecting to see Mr. White Hat when this shadowman lurker's identity is revealed.

In any case, odds are high that the shadowman lurker isn't a plot-relevant character who we already know—I find it very unlikely that even if the shadowman lurker turns out to be the less detailed guy, the less detailed guy is then going to turn out to be Kanenori or something.

Who knows, since the end text on Page 16 mentioned "quick development," this may end up being the first 2 File case since Naeko's introduction (File 741–File 742, which, what do you know, took place immediately before Holmes' Revelation (File 743–File 752)), and just be about an older gentleman, who happens to have a daughter/grandaughter, trying to give back the strap, but when he mentions that this daughter/grandaughter loves Ryusuke, Shiho/Ai will let him keep it—thus making it quite similar, ultimately, to Tomorrow is There (File 699), which, what do you know, was immediately followed by Crisis Beckoned by the Red Omen (File 700–File 704).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

Hide contents

See this guy, with the hat, glove tan, and the bag with a big rectangular bag bulge? I'm calling him for now as the shadowman lurker. There is another guy nearby in a matching cap and jacket, but he isn't drawn with near as much detail.
o40l00N.png

My thoughts exactly when I saw that panel. He stook out immediately and it looked like Gosho's art.

6 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

In any case, odds are high that the shadowman lurker isn't a plot-relevant character who we already know—I find it very unlikely that even if the shadowman lurker turns out to be the less detailed guy, the less detailed guy is then going to turn out to be Kanenori or something.

Would love for that to be the case, since I'm already expecting him to appear next(or the last) chapter of this case(to have his teased meeting with Amuro).

Slightly concerned about DB revealing Subaru's choker to Amuro, seeing as he's already getting info on the DB badge.

1 hour ago, mdeco28 said:

ANTHOR PIC

Spoiler

Well, well, well... looks like we may get the "man ultimately gets the strap to give to his child/grandchild" (Mr White Hat) part and get the plot-related character part (the shadowman lurker—who may actually be a new character... or there's a character we already know with matching facial structure, and motive to follow the DBs and Rei/Toru, but I'm just not able to think of who that is, at the moment).

1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, well, well... looks like we may get the "man ultimately gets the strap to give to his child/grandchild" (Mr White Hat) part and get the plot-related character part (the shadowman lurker—who may actually be a new character... or there's a character we already know with matching facial structure, and motive to follow the DBs and Rei/Toru, but I'm just not able to think of who that is, at the moment).

Spoiler

it seems like wada shinichi

Spoiler

it seems like wada shinichi

Spoiler

Muga Iori (File 983)

tumblr_inline_or9twxpvNB1rwx3xw_540.png

Shadowman Lurker (File 997)

tumblr_ospbboo5in1u7cwdoo5_540.jpg

Muga's jaw is different from the shadowman lurker's. And the shadowman we usually get generally has a more pointed jaw... but here? It's square. I'd be more open to the idea if this shadowman's jaw was more pointed—the fact that Gosho made this shadowman's jaw square means that whoever this is, their jaw is also square.

1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Reveal hidden contents

Muga Iori (File 983)

Muga's jaw is different from the shadowman lurker's. And the shadowman we usually get generally has a more pointed jaw... but here? It's square. I'd be more open to the idea if this shadowman's jaw was more pointed—the fact that Gosho made this shadowman's jaw square means that whoever this is, their jaw is also square.

Spoiler

im  speking about the other guy on  the train not shadowman

Spoiler

im  speking about the other guy on  the train not shadowman

Spoiler

Sorry, but you've confused me.

You highlighted two men in that picture you posted. Which one do you think is Muga Iori?

To clarify/re-state my own position, I think the man in the gray cap you highlighted and shadowman are one in the same.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Hide contents

Muga Iori (File 983)

Spoiler

It seems more like Tsutomo Akai, seeing how the hat is identical in shape and the apparel is somewhat similar. However his chin and jaw might be different due to old age.

This shadowman is bound to be a case culprit rather than a major person. If there is any action to keep one eye on now, it is why Okiya needed Amuro to go away from Kudo's house for a while and also that Amuro is up to trying to get a hold of Conan's phone.

19 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:
Spoiler

This shadowman is bound to be a case culprit rather than a major person. If there is any action to keep one eye on now, it is why Okiya needed Amuro to go away from Kudo's house for a while and also that Amuro is up to trying to get a hold of Conan's phone.

Spoiler

Probably, yes—but I'm still keeping the possibility of him turning out to be plot-relevant/not-just-one-case character on the table.

If his line about him needing to go somewhere wasn't just a lie to the DBs, then he may have Andre over again to watch Shiho/Ai while he goes out to meet with someone.

If that's what he's doing (though it seems that, for now, at least, he was just taking it for illustrative/explanatory purposes), that strikes me as an attempt at a similar gambit to the one he was running on Jodie in Scarlet Prologue (891–893/779–780). This time, though, it'd be on his own (non-BO) time/on NPA Security Bureau business—ultimately, this is about his revenge bid against Shuichi (though figuring out things about Shinichi/Conan may be part of it—or, at the very least, a nice bonus for him).

5 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:
  Hide contents

where did you get that from?

It was Mitsuhiko's phone. Earlier spoiler pics just had the panel of Amuro reaching for a phone Conan was holding. I assumed it was Conan's since he was holding it, but it was the wrong color. But now I want to know about the bartender friend that Agasa lent his beetle to. Jii (more billiards than a bar) or Yuzu?

3 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

It was Mitsuhiko's phone. Earlier spoiler pics just had the panel of Amuro reaching for a phone Conan was holding. I assumed it was Conan's since he was holding it, but it was the wrong color. But now I want to know about the bartender friend that Agasa lent his beetle to. Jii (more billiards than a bar) or Yuzu?

Just another one of those MK-DC easter eggs that will probably never be confirmed. (I'm not underestimating Gosho though, because he might just take that next step someday)

Here is an idea: Maybe Genta's badge got stuck on Haibara's charm, and then the adult who picked it up found the badge, could see that it could be used as a listening device and jumped to the conclusion that he was being spied on. So he searches for the kids to see 'who they are working for'.

Well, the good thing is that no matter what has happened to the badge, Conan can track it - unless it has run out of batteries.

Now that I have read the full case and have more case context, I think there is a more-than decent chance the other hat guy could be involved as well. (and he could be the shadowman)

Anyone innocent finding a lost item after a jarring incident would ask the surrounding people if it was theirs. Thus I am inclined to think the boy and his father are the actual owners of the Sanada (19) charm, because they were expecting to find it when they dropped it and got Higo (9) instead. I don't think they look like the type who would steal and keep the wrong charm. That means that someone else got Sanada.

I'm going to guess the incident went something like this. Sneaky shadowdude wanted the Higo charm (thought Higo gave it to Ai from nearby in the stands?). He pressed emergency stop or conveniently the train came to a sudden halt and the two charms went flying along with the detective badge. Shadowman didn't realize there were two at the time. The father-son couple grabbed the wrong charm before shadowman could get Higo, and thus the shadowman was left holding Sanada and didn't realize it at first because the numbers are similar. By the time he figured it out, dad and kid were long gone with Higo. So shadowman came up with a plan. He would drop the Sanada charm off at a convenient lost and found (Chiyari-cho rather than Baker-cho) and then wait for the duo to realize their error and collect it. He would wait around for them. Shadowman would tell the father/son he dropped the Higo charm on the train, picked up Sanada by mistake, and was hoping he could have his Higo back. Shadowman's plan had an interloper in the form of the DB looking for the Higo charm, so the shadowman is probably worried that if they find the couple before he does, he will lose out on Higo. I'm not sure who (shadowman or dad n' son) has the badge or if they even know they have the badge and it didn't land in some clothing somehow.

Finding the boy and his dad: Both boy and father have intense glove tans on both hands, so they both do something outside (probably together) with hats and gloves on both hands in intense sunlight (so not baseball or golf, where players wear gloves on one hand). The father is also thoroughly tanned on the whole length of his leg below his shorts (not baseball again because they wear long pants for sliding). The lack of shinguard tan means he isn't on the field as a ref or something, not that I would expect him to be soccer related anyway since he mixed up the charm. Combined with his steadiness on his feet and the bulky square object in the bag, and we have a pretty mystery. Tennis players sometimes wear gloves (but not often, wristbands are more common) and short pants, and a racket might explain the bulge, but not the shape. Sports cameraman might make sense, but to not know the numbers of the players is questionable.

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one whose lmfao at this case XD like Shinichi, whose usually a serious detective, is using his detective skill to find this charm to get on haibaras good side so she'll give him the aptx drug 

thats what I call motivation XD 

anyhoo continue on with ur day 

• Upvote 1