Detective Conan World
Cocoa

----

On 3/5/2017 at 5:31 PM, Cocoa said:

But let's continue: After the discussion about the use of the concotion 17 years ago in the Haneda/Hughes double murder in the United States, after Conan asking her again if she's really 18 (because the drug was used such a long time ago) and after the explanation on her behalf that the APTX was based on the Silver Bullet, she has an internal monologue:

File 948, page 4, Ai Haibara in her thoughts wrote:But what they really wanted me to make... was another drug...

Which seems to imply that the end-goal of the APTX research is not the same as SB research(at least what the Miyano parents envisioned).

On the other hand, Pisco said back in volume 24, after watching Shiho shrink back to the form of a child:

File 242, page 9, Pisco wrote:That's really impressive! You probably don't remember me, you were just a little baby back then after all, but I was a good friend of these scientists, your parents... I've heard a lot about the drug which was in the works back then [...] But who would have thought that you would bring it that far... Your parents, who died in an accident back then, probably would be proud of you...

... implying that rejuvenation does go into the right direction, in some way.

True, but the end-result isn't necessary the same as the APTX research is intended to be. They are based on the same materials, so it's not weird that both research would follow similar processes and stages before they eventually follow their own two different paths.

Now, my idea is that it's about "rejuvenation" of sensory cells, who go into decline in a natural way while aging - which means, rejuvenation goes into the right direction, in a sense, but it was "too holistic", so to speak, which in turn makes the drug "incomplete" (Gin in volume 24: „the incomplete detective“, or alternatively „the detective in the fledgling stage“ in the german version). In the case with Kirin's Horn (File 712 - 715), in which Jirokichi Suzuki intentionally wanted to have the Detective Boys around, an effect associated with such phenomena is vividly shown, by using sounds on a frequency only children and young people can hear - like the Detective Boys, who are around 6 to 7, including Conan Edogawa and Ai Haibara, who are in this biological state thanks only to the APTX. This is like the principle "The Mosquito" works with, which is even mentioned in this case.

This could be a more precise explanation for Ai's "special sense": A rejuvenated, extremely sharpened sense (maybe even with the almost animalistic talent to subconsciously receive olfactory, visual and acoustic stimuli caused by another person - be it through normally not sensible frequencies, pulse/heart rate, sweat, subconscious movements on a micro-scale, etc.), which can narrow it down when one feels instinctively that someone else is wanting to cause harm - or the subconscious at least perceives it like that. This could also explain why Ai's sense isn't really selective (which means, not really a "BO sensor", as you can see with Shuichi/Subaru, for instance) and doesn't work every time (Kiichiro Numabuchi, for example).

This is seriously a well thought out theory. I'm intrigued.

Although I wouldn't exempt Subaru as someone unrelated to the BO, since he is a former BO member(Rye).

Someone could interject: „But wait! Why has Conan got no gift/sense like that then?“ That's the point: He has. Just remember several scenes (I have to look up their numbers, admittedly) in which Conan felt the "murderous intention" of the culprit or sensed him/her in a group of people; just like he felt Kid more than once (instantly in the first case about the "Black Star" on board the Queen Selizabeth and just recently in the library, when Kid - in disguise - secretly stares at Conan).
I know that Conan doesn't fly off the handle just like Haibara does (even though it looks pretty similar in the page linked above); but she probably got some severe traumas from her past membership and quickly associates every shock moment with the organization, kinda like a negative déja vù - hence her (over?)reaction most of the time; additionally, Conan isn't frightened that easily, as far as we can tell and in the case of Kid doesn't even feel any fear, for obvious reasons. That it can also decline or be "switched of" altogether, in her case, was shown in a clear manner in the seemingly paradox scene, when she didn't sense both Bourbon and Vermouth together (maybe because of her new feeling of safety interfering with it), which also makes Conan ponder about that.

You lost me here. The whole deal with Conan sensing people's stare has been an ongoing DC trope that even other characters have utilized, so I can't really treat that as a part of the "sensing ability mystery". I doubt you would claim that Ran was affected by a drug after sensing Kazuha's stare, or Takagi for sensing the other police detectives' stares.

Since the Mystery Train fake death, it has seemingly been "switched off"(According to Haibara in File 956). Now in recent events,...

Spoiler

Rumi switched it on somehow, seemingly due to her strong intensity of hatred towards what "prosthetic" reminded her of(most likely Rum)(File 987).

After a conversation with Sephiroth from the german board about this theory, he also said something interesting:
Who would most people associate with "sharp senses"? A detective of course, and the most well known surely is Sherlock Holmes, who also got a leading (meta-)part in Detective Conan. And interestingly, the APTX 4869 is named after Sherlock, because - as most people on here probably know - the "4869" can also be read as "Shiyaroku" in Japanese, the phonetic spelling of "Sherlock". The same goes for the "incomplete detective" or "the detective in a fledgling stage", besides the password for the APTX data of the organization being "Sherringford".

Once again, you have seized my attention. It's a very interesting correlation to the senses of a detective(a shark, as Shinichi put it). Applause for giving me a very exciting theory-reading session.

In the end, the question left unanswered for me in the context of the theory is how Itakura's software figures into all of this (if there even is a (direct) relation) and why the organization would need a super senses inducing/sense-enhancing concoction. Is the creation of this drug the ultimate goal and if so, what for? Or is it just a stepping stone in an even bigger plan, which is relying on "superhuman" senses? A drug which can enhance the senses in such a manner also contains a lot of criminal power in itself, like I've mentioned before. But is there something specific on the mind of the organization, making such a drug worth all the years of hard underground research work?

It definitely had an sought-out purpose for the BO goal(hence why Tequila requested it), but since Tequila implied that the BO gave up on Itakura(the words that Souma heard when Tequila passed him: "You're not needed anymore"), the question here should be "why was Vermouth adamant about ordering the software and took Tequila's job?" Yukiko and Conan seemed to be onto her in Mystery Train. Probably had something to with why she's hiding the research progress of not only APTX(since she didn't know about its shrinking effect until after she ordered the software), but also the SB research. If she has been hiding the effect of the SB research, then she was most likely behind the accident that killed the Miyano parents to hide the new results that was similar to the APTX shrinking side-effect.

Spoiler

If Rumi is Vermouth, maybe she's trying to track-down Asaka, since she might be suspecting that her disappearance was due to the SB prototype effect(that she wants to keep hidden from the BO). This would imply that Asaka was indeed drugged by Rum, and that it gave rejuvenating effect that didn't kill her. 

Overall, regarding the sensing ability matter with Haibara. The pattern I've noticed is that maybe Haibara can only sense people that has been in her presence when she was young(as if she was registering their "smell"). Pisco was sensed, and he had said that he had met her when she was a baby. Rye, Akemi and Vermouth were clearly involved in her past. Bourbon hasn't officially met her before, but since he was seen with Elena before she wanted to "leave"(probably because Elena either sensed danger from Vermouth, or they realized that the BO were planning on creating another drug with the SB research), he might've met baby Shiho. Numabuchi wasn't sensed because she said herself that she never had a chance to meet him.

This would explain the implications in the Numabuchi incident. What do you think of this pattern?