Detective Conan World
AnimeOtakuDrew

Ran and Shinichi's first meeting

Okay, I kind of addressed this a little on the anime board topic about the episode one special, but I wanted to dive into it a bit deeper, which would be off topic for that thread.

So, with the announcement of "Chiba's Difficult UFO Case" as episodes 847 and 848 of the anime, that brings the anime adaptation almost to the end of manga volume 89. With one exception.

The flashback case from volume 87 which showed us how Ran and Shinichi first met STILL has not made it to the anime (unless you want to count the manga scenes included in the opening of the episode one special). I find this odd and a bit annoying considering the fact that ALL cases before it as well as at least half a dozen after it have been adapted in some form for the anime series. This was a very good case in the manga, giving some good insight into Ran and Shinichi's history, so why would the animators have skipped over it? Are they EVER going to adapt it? And, if they're not, why would they tease us with those images in the opening of the special? But, if they are, why are they waiting so long to do so, meanwhile adapting later cases (some with little or no plot significance) not to mention the slew of AOs that have aired since the point when that case SHOULD have been adapted? Does the fact that they included manga scenes from that case in the opening of the special have any significance, maybe a hint that the adaptation will be coming soon, or is it just a coincidence? Has anyone seen anything about the status of this case with regards to the anime? I really want to know what's up with it.

It will get adapted sooner or later. Nowadays changes to the order are less common, but some cases are for some reason adapted out of order and way later. For example, the Shinichi Heiji flashback was adapted over two years after the manga release and the Agasa's First Love cases was adapted over three years after the manga release. So really, it's not something to be concerned about. Everything in the manga is going into the anime eventually (and the pre-school flashback has gone into the anime considering the Ending Futari no Byoshin).

Fans and some Japanese media magazines are speculating that they will adapt the pre-school flashback in March, because that's the time when cherry trees blossom in Tokyo. And even if they are not, you should relax a bit. It will come eventually.

• Upvote 1

And while this one is arguably less notable, there was also that one chapter story during the Clash of Red & Black storyline which finally (last year I think?) was made into a special.  The one focusing on Kogoro.

1 hour ago, Antiyonder said:

And while this one is arguably less notable, there was also that one chapter story during the Clash of Red & Black storyline which finally (last year I think?) was made into a special.  The one focusing on Kogoro.

And here's some links to said case:

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Volume_57#The_Fugitive

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Fugitive:_Kogoro_Mouri

Actually got it last month/year along with 58-60 after some delay.

Afterall, nothing makes for a more appropriate reading during the holidays than stories often involving murder:-).

1 hour ago, Wakarimashita said:

There was also the Moon, Star and Sun case which aired nearly 4 years after its manga publication.

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/The_Secret_of_the_Moon,_the_Star,_and_the_Sun

Yeah, compared to that, the wait for Shinichi and Ran – First Contact to be adapted is nothing.

To be fair, though, it's up there, in terms of how long we've had to wait for manga cases to be adapted into the anime.