Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Heliotropic

Detective Conan - Episode One (Discussion)

With Detective Conan - Episode One - Chiisaku Natta Meitantei aired this morning. How did you like it? Hate it?

Episode One is supposedly supervised or written by Gosho Aoyama, but I'd be curious as to how much he was involved.

It's more along the lines of a re-imagining of the first episode than it is a remake, and features a lot of recap scenes from future episodes, anime original scenes, as well as a new character introduction, before the TV anime got to it anyways...

CsKKD7vWcAEvflP.jpg

I felt like this special was good for what it was, primarily being a treat for long-time fans. I wasn't disappointed, and my major grievance with this special was that it felt a little too convoluted at times, and we didn't need an introduction for certain characters that appeared in this special. Some of them contradicted canon, and others didn't make any sense for them to be here anyways. I think it would have been perfect if this could have served as an actual introduction to the series, but I couldn't even recommend it in that manner. Thankfully, it doesn't really spoil that much.

Highlights of the film:

Spoiler

I liked how the special started with Shiho examining her lab rats, and discovering that one had shrunk instead of died from testing APTX4869. I like that it ended with her discovering Shinichi's grade-school clothes had gone missing, and her changing the data in her computer to read as deceased. That was a good way to start and wrap things up.

Hina, despite her not having appeared in the UFO case, and that case having not been animated, actually led to one of my favorite scenes in this special. Her intro and the Karate tournament with Ran was a spectacle to watch, and it was sensible, compared to some of the other scenes we had.

Contradicting that, I don't think we should have got a shot of the Detective Boys, and if we did, I don't think they should have run into Shinichi/Ran, and him giving an impression on the kids. I think this is contradictory, since they didn't recognize him from the Desperate Revival arc.

Korn and Chianti was okay for me, but their appearance was just somewhat confusing, since I don't think they needed to be there. Funny moment there though, so some decent comic relief and was kind of surprised.

I liked the introduction with Gin, Vodka, and the other man at the bar. Gave us a pretty good impression on Gin and Vodka before he whacked Shinichi and gave him some glares during the investigation. 

No big beam of light either. Decapitation was surprisingly bloody... and uncensored. Glad they went with this, though some part of me was hoping that we'd get a return to that monstrosity. Can't all be winners I guess...

Did anyone hate it? Despite some problems, I can't see this being a turn off for any fan of the series.

We should see a sub sometime today. It's being done. Doubt that Crunchyroll will touch it at all though. 

I was able to  understand a good portion without subs, but I'd just wait. 

• Upvote 1

Subs are out...

Ran and Conan's ages were stated as 16 and 6, just something little, but that matches the manga. Only thing I really "missed" by not having subs, seeing as how most of the special is a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga, or a criss-cross between anime/manga canon.

Still really enjoyed watching it for the second time. Subs are very well done too, which helps.

i have to say that this was an amazing episode

i really loved it

it was well directed

humor was in place

strange how when shrunk his pants stayed on him 

also is shoes weren't big for his feet :D

all in all im satisfied

im guessing episode 2 will be around next year same time 

I agree with d7o. I've been looking for the sub ever since the special aired in Japan. Don't need a direct link to the page with the video. Just tell me what the hosting site is and I can navigate it myself. That way, I can see the special, you don't break forum rules, and everyone is happy!

Thanks for letting me know where to find it!

So, about the opening of the special; I thought it was cool that they used the original opening theme. But what about the manga pictures it featured? I noticed quite a few from the flashback case about how Shinichi and Ran first met. A case that, as of yet, has not made the manga to anime transition, even though there all cases before it and a number of cases following it have already been adapted. So, what do you guys think the inclusion of those manga scenes means? Do you think it the animators' way of saying, "we haven't forgotten this one," and hinting it will be forthcoming soon? Do you think they included those scenes so the anime audience can get a feel for how Ran and Shinichi met without that case being adapted? Or do you think that it has nothing to do with whether or not that case will ever be adapted and was included by coincidence only because it fit the themes of backstory and beginnings? Just curious.

2 hours ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

Do you think it the animators' way of saying, "we haven't forgotten this one," and hinting it will be forthcoming soon? Do you think they included those scenes so the anime audience can get a feel for how Ran and Shinichi met without that case being adapted? Or do you think that it has nothing to do with whether or not that case will ever be adapted and was included by coincidence only because it fit the themes of backstory and beginnings? Just curious.

No manga case has ever gone unadapted. Even The Fugitive (File 594)—which was never made into an anime episode—was made into a TV Special (http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Fugitive:_Kogoro_Mouri).

Most likely, they're waiting for Movie 21 (focused mainly on Heiji and Kazuha, but there'll likely be some Shinichi and Ran in there) to air this episode.

• Upvote 1